milk carton "Pouring" gimmick

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

milk carton "Pouring" gimmick

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2006, 11:03 am

It seems to me that in the last year or two, someone was producing a self-contained "milk pour-carton-gimmick-type-prop" which simulated a stream of milk pouring from a little carton. I can't recall the manufacturer, but I believe it was advertised and/or reviewed in Genii. Can anyone help me locate this prop? Thanks for any help. Christopher

Pete Biro

Re: milk carton "Pouring" gimmick

Postby Pete Biro » April 5th, 2006, 2:27 pm

Magic Inc. sold a milk can with a spout that came out and looked just like a stream of milk. I think I also saw something advertised like you describe too. There is also a milk pitcher on the market made from a plastic milk jug (1/2 gal).
Stay tooned.

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » April 5th, 2006, 2:46 pm

Dan Harlan's "The Jug" is probably what you are looking for.

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2006, 3:16 pm

I purchased one of these from Hank Lee at one of the last World Magic Summits in D.C., I think it's what you are looking for. Here's a link from their catalog:

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/customer/p ... uctid=7490

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2006, 4:44 pm

Thanks for the help, friends.
Chris

Postby Guest » April 23rd, 2006, 3:54 pm

Frank: I am interested to know if you think that the effect is as good as the standard milk pitcher? Are you using it?

Thanks in advance.

Postby Guest » April 24th, 2006, 5:35 pm

I suspect that this is based on the Lloyd-made oil can that poured "real" oil, visibly, into a cone. Marvelously clever. More than the effect, I always wondered how Lloyd thought it up, or came to discover the property of the gimmick that made it work. The illusion is perfect

Postby Guest » April 24th, 2006, 7:26 pm

Christopher, No, I haven't used it yet. It was one of those purchases that ends up on the shelf. Not for any particular reason other than that I thought I might have a need for it in the future when I purchased it and that need hasn't come up yet. If I have a need for a milk pitcher type effect in the future, I won't hesitate to use it. The milk pour illusion is good and the fact that there is no reset and that is uses a common object that everyone knows is a plus.

Frank Yuen

Postby Guest » April 24th, 2006, 10:32 pm

Abbott's made one in the 50's with a condensed milk can with a 16 penny nail. John Kennedy had
a cofee creamer in the 80's that you poured into
a cup of coffee stirred and the cream vanished.
Probably worked like the milk carton.....Mike

Postby Guest » April 25th, 2006, 2:58 pm

Mark is right, the Jug came out last year and it is BRILLIANT! Very well made and it make perfect sense that milk comes out of a milk carton like the ones in the store!!

Postby Guest » April 26th, 2006, 3:13 pm

The Jug is wonderful, but you don't actually see the milk pouring out. I think what he's interested in is actually another Dan Harlan idea that's featured on his kid show DVD. He may also make it and sell it. I can describe it to you in depth via email if you're interested.

Steve Thomas
stevethomasmagic@aol.com

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 27th, 2006, 11:05 am

ONe thing I wonder how well does the NO MILK show up as all the jugs I see are translucent vs. transparent?
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 27th, 2006, 11:14 am

Originally posted by Mike Walsh II:
... John Kennedy had
a coffee creamer in the 80's that you poured into
a cup of coffee stirred and the cream vanished.
That in combination with a second cup of coffee and the thing where cream appears in the coffee already in a coffee cup might make one heck of a trick. :)

Nathan Kranzo

Postby Nathan Kranzo » July 19th, 2010, 2:10 pm

The Lloyd Oil Can sounds great. Can anyone offer any more info on this? Was it described in print or only sold as a dealer item?

Thanks,

Kranzo

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » July 19th, 2010, 4:25 pm

It would be interesting to combine the milk pitcher principle with the Dan Harlan milk pour gimmick to a translucent plastic half gallon milk jug and have the best of both worlds; the visible pouring of the milk from the spout and the diminishing of the milk inside the plastic jug as you "pour." That would be a convincer.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » July 30th, 2012, 1:44 pm

And in the 1950's Harry Stanley (Unique Magic Studio, London), had a can of milk. You apparently punched a small hole in the top edge, then with the can held about 5 inches above the paper cone or whatever you were to pour the milk into. 'poured the milk'. Straighted the can up. Vanished the milk. The gimmick consisted of a piece of a white plastic knitting needle, fixed inside the can--the 'pouring' end just inside where the hole was apparently punched in the can's top--the end either was secured in the can's bottom OR a knob was placed on the end. By moving the can slightly up and down, it looked as if a stream of milk was coming from the can. When you finished, you quietly pushed the end of the needle against the 'poured into',container & tipped the can upright--the needle going back into the can. Years later an old magician here, Graham Clark (authored 2 small books) had a similar gimmick but in lieu of the needle used a white (possibly he painted this) thin tape measure. And both worked. Allen Tipton UK

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 30th, 2012, 3:32 pm

Nathan Kranzo wrote:The Lloyd Oil Can sounds great. Can anyone offer any more info on this? Was it described in print or only sold as a dealer item?

Thanks,

Kranzo

I recall seeing the oilcan item advertised back around 1980
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”