Buying from Todd Lassen?

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Patrick Stapfer

Buying from Todd Lassen?

Postby Patrick Stapfer » July 13th, 2010, 3:45 am

Hello,
I try to buy a 1964 silver-coin-shell-set from Todd Lassen and I have already written two emails for purchasing it.

I have already waited for 2 weeks and never got an answer, do you know how to contact him?

I am from Austria and I prefer the internet for communication.

Ive never bought any professional coin-sets, so if you have some tips for me, I would appreciate ;)

with regards,
Patrick

James Cotton

Re: Buying from Todd Lassen?

Postby James Cotton » July 13th, 2010, 8:39 am

Todd's wait time is very long. He has dozens of requests every day for this stuff. Be patient.

Patrick Stapfer

Postby Patrick Stapfer » July 16th, 2010, 2:24 pm

Okay thanks, as long as I know that the request takes long, I am motivated to wait.

Doomo

Postby Doomo » July 16th, 2010, 8:33 pm

Nah... I think Todd just doesn't like you... Jamie Schoolcraft would like you though! I bet Misters Johnson and Sasco would like you even more!
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » July 17th, 2010, 9:43 am

Doomo;
Your response clearly indicates that you do not know anything at all about running a one man business. Todd and I are both one man operations. We do everything from selecting raw materials, purchasing, paying bills, r&d, manufacturing, marketing, packing, answering perhaps 150 emails per day, and still have a life. Todd's slow response is most likely due to the fact that he has not yet read all of the emails that pour in. It is impossible to make quality items and answer emails at the same time. Choices need to be made and items produced. Emails can wait a bit. Perhaps he is on vacation. Your smart-ass remark above clearly indicates your ignorance and lack of respect for the skills that Todd has developed - while YOU did what???
Jim

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 17th, 2010, 9:45 am

Mr Riser, I think Doomo was just making a joke.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » July 17th, 2010, 9:48 am

mrgoat, if so, in poor taste.
Jim

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 17th, 2010, 10:16 am

Tony indeed frequently exhibits poor taste and also makes a lot of bad jokes, but some funny ones as well.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » July 17th, 2010, 3:53 pm

I thought it was in poor taste AND funny. But then again, I dig that sort of thing. Doomo's really good at it. Betcha' Todd LOL when he saw it.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » July 17th, 2010, 10:36 pm

Jim Riser wrote:Doomo;
Your response clearly indicates that you do not know anything at all about running a one man business.

Your smart-ass remark above clearly indicates your ignorance and lack of respect for the skills that Todd has developed - while YOU did what???

http://www.rfaproductions.com/

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Doomo

Postby Doomo » July 18th, 2010, 9:07 am

Actually Mr. Riser, I have known Todd for many years. I know his business and have many of his products and had many cocktails with him. And if I cant make fun of a friend of mine, then what is the use of it all? He has done the same to me and I have never said a word other than to have a fun jab back. I do not feel the need to justify myself to those who have to be all "up in my grill". But on the other hand... Never mind...

Just keep smiling as my wife would say... I AM getting old! There was a time when I would have... OTHER things to say...

www.rfaproductions.com

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » July 18th, 2010, 9:08 am

Jim Maloney;
Thank you for the link. Apparently Doomo does know a thing or two about running a small (one man?) business. Doomo, my apologies. It was still a smart-ass comment. The poor OP who probably struggles with the language must have been wondering what he had done to offend Todd.
Jim

Doomo

Postby Doomo » July 18th, 2010, 9:31 am

Smart ass comment? Yep! I suppose so! But on the other hand, I have been getting into trouble for smart ass remarks since second grade... In the first grade, I was kinda shy...

But as I was told by my principle in 3rd grade... "Mr. Miller, you are a smart ass!" ...

"Better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass sir. "

Needless to say... I got a warm reception at home (In those days, corporal punishment was NOT frowned upon)... But on the other hand... I heard from the school nurse (I was "dating" her daughter... That the remark had made the rounds at school among the faculty.

As for small business.. I love em... I can do what I want... But as for the one man part... My wifey would gut me like a trout if I said it was a one man enterprise.

www.rfaproductions.com

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » July 18th, 2010, 10:14 am

Doomo;
You did say "sir".
Jim

BTW - my elementary school principal knew me well too. He was also the local (small town) golf pro. Mr. Kingsmore had an old oriental carpet hung at the end of the balcony off of the gymnasium. He would aim the balls at the center design. My usual punishment was to collect all of the golf balls for him as he practiced. There are a lot of golf balls in a bucket!

Doomo

Postby Doomo » July 18th, 2010, 10:27 am

Golf balls! You had an enlightened education Mr. Riser! My principal was a Korean war vet with a rather hideous facial injury. He would tell us of the horrors of the war he served in then explain to us that what was about to happen would provide us with discipline in the future... Then it was time to bend over and grab yer knees and NEVER whimper... He HATED crybabies... It is funny now... But then Grrrrrrr... The revenge we plotted... But never acted upon cuz we wuz SCARED of that guy!

As to the Sir... Well, my sister always insisted that politeness was free... And could pay dividends. Mine was an odd family.

www.rfaproductions.com

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » July 18th, 2010, 11:18 am

Doomo wrote:But as for the one man part... My wifey would gut me like a trout if I said it was a one man enterprise.

She's a man, too?

<ducks>

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Doomo

Postby Doomo » July 18th, 2010, 11:55 am

Ahh Jim... Be glad yer on on a far away planet! Cuz if the delightful Rosie should come across yer carcass... SHE is the mean un Jim lad!

www.rfaproductions.com

Patrick Stapfer

Postby Patrick Stapfer » July 30th, 2010, 8:33 pm

Well... at least, my email was sent on the 30.6.2010...
1 month time gap

I know, a one-man-business is hard to handle, because of the work to answer all emails, but do you get 150 messages per day?

It would be nice if I could purchase my set before november, because I would like to use it for my next close-up-event of my local club.

Cant be THAT hard, or? :(

(BTW, I have written to another coin-gaffer... his website is http://www.cupsandballs.nl/ , he also never wrote back - that was 4 months ago, so what is going on here? Nobody can make business without new customers...)

with regards,
Pat

Smurf

Postby Smurf » July 30th, 2010, 8:54 pm

The "Cups and Balls" page lists 2005 as the last time that page was updated. Perhaps its an abandoned page.

Seuss

Postby Seuss » July 30th, 2010, 10:13 pm

There is always the phone... remember that?

303-776-7962
Genii Lifetime Subscriber
Co-host Magic On the Side

Gregory Edmonds

Postby Gregory Edmonds » July 31st, 2010, 10:56 am

Patrick:

In deference to Mr. Lassen (his products ARE magnificent, I've had several), I purchased all of those I've had used.

You might broadcast your interest in purchasing a used set from someone here, if you'll say specifically which item or items you're looking for.

If all else fails, and Mr. Lassen is as busy as he seems to be, based upon the above, it appears his feelings won't be injured if you purchase from another quality manufacturer of such devices (there are, that said, only a very FEW who equal the Lassen quality - some are mentioned in previous responses, above).

Greg Edmonds
www.ArsPraestigium.com - Purveyors of the ART of illusion
Celebrate the Art of Magic

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » August 1st, 2010, 12:11 pm

There's hundreds of guys wanting Todds work, and most of them are willing to wait the months, (or a year) it takes to get the best on the planet.

They're all in line ahead of you.

Complaining on a forum that Todd doesn't answer your emails is pointless.
If you've got something to ask him, phone him.

david smith

Postby david smith » May 11th, 2011, 12:27 am

i am trying to contact todd right now about a triple threat.the few times i have spoke to him ,he has always been nice to me.it does take awhile to hear from him.i have had a tremendous amount of emails before,at times three or four hundred a day due to my work.but if you want something nice ,just like a custom rolex you just have to wait.

Return to “Reference Room”