What Are the Best Thumb Tips?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
TJay

What Are the Best Thumb Tips?

Postby TJay » July 9th, 2010, 1:17 am

What are the best thumb tips on the market? I'm looking to do some close-up bill transformations.

(Please no lectures on how you used a bright orange thumb tip and fooled everyone in your magic club)

Doomo

Re: What Are the Best Thumb Tips?

Postby Doomo » July 9th, 2010, 3:04 am

It was blue...
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

Dave V

Postby Dave V » July 9th, 2010, 3:15 am

Standard hard Vernet is perfect. Soft ones have too much friction and the bill binds up.
"I still play with a full deck, I just shuffle slower"

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 9th, 2010, 10:09 am

This is a good question, and to me, the answer is (like so many things): it depends on your personal preference.

I don't believe the particular brand matters as much as the material the tip is made of. There are advantages and disavantages to each material: most end up using either vinyl or hard plastic or a combination thereof.

I would refer you to John Lovick's great book: Switch (which should be required reading for anyone wanting to learn to perform the bill switch IMHO), as he goes into detail regarding this question (and passes along a great Roger Klause tip in that section of the book).

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » July 9th, 2010, 10:32 am

I haven't done it yet but I've been meaning to try coating the inside of one of the softer thumb tips with shellac, nail polish, enamel or something to make it slick. I like the softer thumb tips but Dave V is right about the bill getting stuck.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”