Time-Warp Wallet - Jon Racherbaumer -June

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.
Keng

Time-Warp Wallet - Jon Racherbaumer -June

Postby Keng » May 18th, 2010, 12:57 pm

In Jon's column "On the Slant" June 2010, he talks about a new wallet, Time- Warp Wallet, coming out. The mentioned wallet is a remodel of the Bendix Bombshell being made by David Solomon. Does anyone have any other information about this wallet? Is it out yet?

Thanks for the info.

mrgoat

Re: Time-Warp Wallet - Jon Racherbaumer -June

Postby mrgoat » May 18th, 2010, 1:06 pm

A quick google search suggests Tony Curtis is making them. Maybe drop him an email? tony AT tonycurtismagic DOT com

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 18th, 2010, 1:08 pm

Christ, I got that info from the magic cafe. Good god that place is full of idiots.

Thanks for this forum RK!

Keng

Postby Keng » May 18th, 2010, 2:23 pm

I don't think that is the same wallet effect. Jon's column (June 2010)talks about having a lucky card(7D)and being able to cut to it no matter where it is. Spec cuts cards and then you make a blind cut. Remove $20 from your wallet and bet you've cut to your lucky card. A face-down card is seen in the window in the wallet. The cut to card is placed in the wallet. Bet spec to see if they can cut to their favorite card. Remove the card you placed in the wallet to reveal the 7D. Tell spec that you can also find their favorite card. It's also in the wallet.

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » May 18th, 2010, 4:10 pm

David Solomon gave a few of us a peek at his new Time-Warp Wallet at Magic Collectors' Weekend. I didn't ask for a specific date, but I suspect it will be available "soon." I loved it!

Keng

Postby Keng » May 19th, 2010, 9:58 pm

Thanks for the info to those who responded. Here is an email response from David Solomon."It will be up on my web site soon. I will let you know when it is available. The wallet and a 40 page booklet will cost $55.00"

Dave Beutler

Postby Dave Beutler » May 19th, 2010, 11:55 pm

Click here for Time Warp Wallet page

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDa7kr1Dyvk[/video]

Doomo

Postby Doomo » May 20th, 2010, 4:51 pm

Ok... I am ready to get flamed for this... After all... What the hell do I know... But this looks like NO wallet I have ever seen... I mean... Mechanically, it is a z fold... With no real wallet properties at all...

If I am mistaken, I apologize... If I am not understanding something... I am sure Mr. Solomon has created good routines to use it with... But to me it looks like a prop...NOT a wallet.
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » May 20th, 2010, 7:23 pm

Hi Tony,

Oh, don't worry about getting scorched. You've endured worse. Your question is valid. I've also been wondering how David defines or rationalizes this object.

What the hell is it? Despite the fact that he calls it a wallet, it's clearly not a wallet. A business card holder, perhaps? If so, where are his business cards? Hopefully David will chime in and enlighten us.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 20th, 2010, 10:26 pm

With all the various shaped and sized wallets I've seen for sale that hold business cards, credit cards, note pads small and large, and every other damn thing, I really don't think Dave's wallet looks odd or would attract attention.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » May 20th, 2010, 11:07 pm

Besides, it's not "a wallet." It's a Time Warp Wallet. Who's to say what they are supposed to look like?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 20th, 2010, 11:17 pm

Wasn't that the bit where they all wore fishnet stockings, high heels and feather boas? Let's do the time warp again?

IMHO the trick ( minus some easily managed script issues ) is just fine. The wallet is what it is, a place to keep your bet and a card that ... just happens to be the one they could not cut to no matter how many times they tried ;)

Gordon Meyer

Postby Gordon Meyer » May 20th, 2010, 11:29 pm

I suppose if you have a very narrow definition of "wallet" you might find this one to be unusual. But I've seen in it person, and in my opinion it passes for a wallet that holds your driver's license, a credit card or two, or your business cards.

Doomo

Postby Doomo » May 21st, 2010, 12:11 am

A "narrow" definition of wallet... Tell ya what. I have been involved in the business of wallets and leather for a while... I have always disliked the older style of "wallets" that magicians used... Z-folds especially have always bothered me... Magicians have the idea that audiences never notice the weird construction of them... They do... They are polite... But not stupid...

Most "magic" wallets tend to look like props... It is just a fact. None of this is meant as a criticism of Mr. Solomon... But the design of this particular prop... NOT wallet... is not a good piece of work... I have the same issues with WOW and Himber style wallets with the straps that look like no wallet used by man.

www.rfaproductions.com

Doomo

Postby Doomo » May 21st, 2010, 12:18 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Wasn't that the bit where they all wore fishnet stockings, high heels and feather boas? Let's do the time warp again?

IMHO the trick ( minus some easily managed script issues ) is just fine. The wallet is what it is, a place to keep your bet and a card that ... just happens to be the one they could not cut to no matter how many times they tried ;)

The trick itself, I have no issues with... Just the prop used to perform it... I never liked the old Bendix Bombshell... It was finicky as hell and looked more like an Italian restaurant menu than a wallet. I have a rather large collection of wallets.

I have designed quite a few from the BKM to the Real mans (Steve Draun) wallet to ... Well a lot of wallets including custom wallets for pros. And to a man the one thing they ask me is to make them look like real billfolds... NOT magic props... Just from my experience...

And yes Jon... I am sure you were a member of the Fish Net Mafia at one time... Been to over a 50 shows myself...

www.rfaproductions.com

flynn

Postby flynn » May 21st, 2010, 3:02 am

I think it looks like a wallet, like the kind you keep in your inside jacket pocket. It has a compartment to hold some paper currency on the right side and business card, picture, driver license holder on the left. I think it looks nice. And also as a performer we spose to make sure in our presentation and audience management to make sure the wallet is not supected or handled by the spectators.

Doomo I hope you don't think Im insulting your abilities or intelligence or something like that I'm sure you've heard what all I've said in my post before or considered them all ready. This is just my thoughts on the wallet.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 21st, 2010, 9:41 am

IMHO the Wallet looks like what most folks expect to see of an ID card case like in the movies - just repurposed.

Sorry Tony, only been to one showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. When it got the the scene about "don't dream it - be it" and they were all dressed the same I laughed - and dismissed the audience social scene as all but camp. About the only other time I laughed that way during a movie was when James Earl Jones claimed to be Mark Hamill's father. Not the same kind of funny or for the same reason but none the less - it took me right out of the movie and left me wondering how it made sense for the audience.

Okay back to taunting audiences with money and then expecting to be appreciated for seeming clever.

Hey is the pocket side big enough to put a WOW?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » May 21st, 2010, 1:38 pm

Off the top o' my head, is this prop similar in concept and application to the Ken Brooke "Nemo 1500?"

I agree with Mr. Doomo (Tony): it's a wee bit too proppy to get past spekkies. Nevertheless, it's from Dave Solomon, and we all know, the man don't deal with crap.

Now, if I could muster the same effect with my Real Man's Wallet . . . Tony, I've been using your Steve Draun creation as my everyday wallet for years now. When they see their card end up between my driver's license and blood donor card, I couldn't ask for better audience interest and reaction.

Gotta get me a couple of Doomo's Real Man's Coin Purses. The rising card in the ziploc bag looks like a killer, too.
Last edited by Bill McFadden on May 21st, 2010, 1:40 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: typos

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 21st, 2010, 2:02 pm

Bill McFadden wrote:Off the top o' my head, is this prop similar in concept and application to the Ken Brooke "Nemo 1500?"...

What? - oh - okay - funny. ha ha.

Doomo

Postby Doomo » May 21st, 2010, 2:06 pm

Bill McFadden wrote:Off the top o' my head, is this prop similar in concept and application to the Ken Brooke "Nemo 1500?"

I agree with Mr. Doomo (Tony): it's a wee bit too proppy to get past spekkies. Nevertheless, it's from Dave Solomon, and we all know, the man don't deal with crap.

Now, if I could muster the same effect with my Real Man's Wallet . . . Tony, I've been using your Steve Draun creation as my everyday wallet for years now. When they see their card end up between my driver's license and blood donor card, I couldn't ask for better audience interest and reaction.

Gotta get me a couple of Doomo's Real Man's Coin Purses. The rising card in the ziploc bag looks like a killer, too.

Actually Bill, I got a wallet that will give ya a very similar effect... It is called the Hip Pocket Bombshell... It looks just like a real billfold... Email me at:

scarneaces@gmail.com

I will send ya some info...
Tony

www.rfaproductions.com

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 21st, 2010, 2:08 pm

Hey Tony, while you're here - any chance of building a WOW into a wallet (or a setup so we can imbed the WOW as the window?).

Doomo

Postby Doomo » May 21st, 2010, 3:44 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Hey Tony, while you're here - any chance of building a WOW into a wallet (or a setup so we can imbed the WOW as the window?).

Sure... I could build one into a bill fold for ya.. Or a slot to put one in... Make it look like it is part of the wallet... Is that what you mean?

www.rfaproductions.com

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 21st, 2010, 3:59 pm

Yes thanks. The Solomon line about the card being behind the glass got me thinking.

Gordon Meyer

Postby Gordon Meyer » May 21st, 2010, 4:42 pm

Not everyone agrees that a "wallet" and a "billfold" are synonyms. You're right, this doesn't look like a back pocket billfold wallet of the style that George Costanza might use.

But saying that this is not a wallet is a bit like saying that a Maple is not a tree because it doesn't look like a Blue Spruce. It is a wallet, it's just not one that you like. Nothin' wrong with that. Viva la difference.

Doomo

Postby Doomo » May 21st, 2010, 6:00 pm

Gordon Meyer wrote:Not everyone agrees that a "wallet" and a "billfold" are synonyms. You're right, this doesn't look like a back pocket billfold wallet of the style that George Costanza might use.

But saying that this is not a wallet is a bit like saying that a Maple is not a tree because it doesn't look like a Blue Spruce. It is a wallet, it's just not one that you like. Nothin' wrong with that. Viva la difference.

I agree to that... But if you were to ask a average person... "which of these is a wallet?' I think I know which would win the vote... Like I said... I just think it is a antiquated design... It looks ... Thick and awkward... It could have been designed so much better... Nothing against the concept... Just the execution... A professional opinion, that is all...

www.rfaproductions.com

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 21st, 2010, 6:24 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:the only other time I laughed that way during a movie was when James Earl Jones claimed to be Mark Hamill's father. it took me right out of the movie and left me wondering how it made sense for the audience.

Perhaps the vast majority of the audience understood that what was on the screen was not James Earl Jones claiming to be Mark Hamills father.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 21st, 2010, 6:59 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:
Jonathan Townsend wrote:the only other time I laughed that way during a movie was when James Earl Jones claimed to be Mark Hamill's father. it took me right out of the movie and left me wondering how it made sense for the audience.

Perhaps the vast majority of the audience understood that what was on the screen was not James Earl Jones claiming to be Mark Hamills father.

Once on Cheers, Norm asked Cliff "What color is the sky in your world?".

From time to time reading the posts on this forum, I am reminded of that question.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 21st, 2010, 7:37 pm

Okay here's another one - in the movie True Lies the characters played by Jamie Lee Curtis and Arnold Schwarzenegger have a daughter. Go back and look at the movie if you missed it.

BTW Dustin, they guy on the screen was obviously not James Earle Jones.

The word is incongruent. Add the relevant specific knowledge and you get (hopefully intentional) humor.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 21st, 2010, 7:50 pm

In fact, James Earle Jones could easily have been Mark Hamill's father.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 21st, 2010, 7:57 pm

Let's get back to the basics of this item - both routine and prop.

I'm not comfortable taunting an audience with money.

And I'm a little leery about how to play the "blind cut" - both in language and action. Language in that the term means nothing to your average person. Action in that it looks like you might be bluffing but by and large they really do prefer to hope for the best and play along.

The prop - and it's having nothing behind the window other than that card just points up the both artificial and contrived nature of the thing. It leaves one to wonder "what's this when it's at home".

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 21st, 2010, 8:53 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:I'm not comfortable taunting an audience with money.

Thats a fascinating comment, particularly coming from the man who invented 3-Fly.

Money is a virtually guaranteed emotional hook for performing. In the case of a wallet, money certainly justifies a reason for bringing it out in the first place.

I honestly cannot think of an instance where someone has taunted an audience via money (at least not as I define taunt). Is it just that you prefer not to take advantage of the hook Im referring to, or is there something specific you have in mind (challenge situations perhaps)?

I am reminded of how Whit Haydn deals with the challenge aspect of Fast and Loose. He gives the audience his money then wins it all back.

BTW: I agree with you about the window side of this wallet. It would make more sense if when the card is removed the performers ID is there (or perhaps the ID appears where the card was expected, giving reason to bring out the wallet).

Dustin

Doomo

Postby Doomo » May 21st, 2010, 9:34 pm

Hi Dustin! Long time no see... I have avoided coming here for a while... Bad things always seem to happen... I see you are now a Dark Fascist Overlord... Congratulations! Richard gave you a promotion I take it? Seriously... Nice to see you guys again...

www.rfaproductions.com

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 21st, 2010, 9:35 pm

Dustin, it's the aspect of the script where you say there's a game and they can win the money yet you make it a no-win for them. Not the sort of no-win as in the Nemo 1500. IMHO if one plays the "dead cut" as a huge bluff the audience dynamic can change for the better. What I'm wondering about is getting them to say (or at least get flustered and about to say) something like hey wait a sec - you can't just say you won without even showing me the card. Then when you offer to give them just as fair a chance you let they try and bluff you ....

Just trying to find the "magic" in the thing and explore what sort of script would make that play out as positive for the audience.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 21st, 2010, 11:00 pm

Hi Anthony, Welcome back.

RK didn't give me my title--it was well-earned! ;)

(And I think it was Dave Cox who saddled me with that one.)

Dustin

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 21st, 2010, 11:04 pm

No one calls the big boy "Anthony"--it's Tony to one and all.

Stick around, Tony--you might add a little life to the party. :)

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 21st, 2010, 11:05 pm

So Jonathan, is it just money, or the whole concept of possibly "winning" something of value (Bank Night comes to mind)?

Dustin

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 21st, 2010, 11:29 pm

I have no problem with the nemo 1500 script used by Johnny Thompson so it's not the use of money as "this is yours if you can take any card but the one that matches the one in this wallet here" type bait. In that case you're asserting predestination from the start and giving them every chance in the world to exercise free choice.

What I see as missing here is a significant setup and buy-in for the volunteer. No play. No back and forth. For example something so they think they might get one over on you in the same way as you are bluffing them about cutting to that card. Just what's in it for them when you show them that they could not have cut to their named card because it was sitting there in your wallet the entire time? Okay you come across as a clever devil for a moment but then there are some feelings lingering over the setup and tease with the money.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 22nd, 2010, 2:30 am

So, if I am following you correctly, what bothers you is not so much the setup as much as a neener-neener-neener sting at the end (which then taints the setup and therefore the whole trick): A case of I [the magician] am clever so therefore you [the audience member] are an idiot.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 22nd, 2010, 5:40 am

Here's a quarter, now it's gone, you're a jerk.

Presentational ways round this have been covered, have they not? "This is an old con game, and you are going to lose. Don't feel bad about it. I am going to cheat. You won't catch me. And you will lose."

etc?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 22nd, 2010, 11:06 am

mrgoat wrote:Here's a quarter, now it's gone, you're a jerk.
... I am going to cheat. You won't catch me. And you will lose."

etc?

And they are supposed to sit there and appreciate that ... why?

Do we really want to treat volunteers like prop/toys at a reenactment of Cartman's tea party?

Return to “Columns”