The Journey by Kyle MacNeill

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
joshmgic01

The Journey by Kyle MacNeill

Postby joshmgic01 » May 16th, 2010, 7:10 am

Review for Kyle MacNeills; the Journey

I am a beginner magician, Ive only been doing magic for two years, but I am a hobbyist magician. I got a review copy from Kyle.

Phase 1:
A card is selected from the deck and placed into the spectators hand. A random card is turned face down, and inserted into a face up deck. You explain cards can switch places. With a click of the fingers, the spectator is now holding a random card (The face down card in the face up deck), and their card is now the face down card in the deck.
My Rating: 4/5 - Slightly on the simple side, but will fool lots of people!

Phase 2:
You remove the two jokers and place them into the box and leave the selection on top. They instantly transpose.
My Rating: 5/5 - Amazing effect, and you can use it in other tricks too!

Phase 3:
You hand the card to the spectator and ask them to squeeze it tightly. You put the deck away and give two clicks over their selection. You take the deck back and place their cards back in, ask them to shuffle the deck, and keep hold of it. You then show your right hand empty and reach into your pocket. Theres one card The selection!
My Rating: 5/5 A Great finish and leaves the spectator in pure shock!

I think that Kyle is a genius because you would normally expect really famous magicians to come up with effects like this but, Kyle is really young and is already creating effects such as these. Can you just imagine what he will be creating in say 10 years? The effects are designed for beginners through to advanced, as even I, a beginner could do it! I think that its great how he has combined magicians such as Aldo Colombini and Fred Braue in the same effect. Also its good how all 3 phases form 1 trick, because then youve got the readers attention throughout the trick.
I dont really get the title page, or the logo. I know that the steps symbolize the journey, but thats about it.

The writing is really clear and simple to understand, also only magicians can use it , providing that they know the basics like a double lift, Kyle explains the more advanced stuff.

Layout was good and the pictures really help understanding the text as it is hard to lean a trick just by reading!

I tried the trick on my brother who is a very hard judge, he normally says all the tricks I do are stupid, but when I performed Kyles trick, even he was in shock! This e book is great and I would recommend it to everyone, it doesnt require any set up so you can do anywhere!

My Rating: 9/10

mrgoat

Re: The Journey by Kyle MacNeill

Postby mrgoat » May 16th, 2010, 1:15 pm

Great review.

joshmgic01

Re: The Journey by Kyle MacNeill

Postby joshmgic01 » May 17th, 2010, 10:24 am

Return to “Alternative Media”