Houdini: Is it true that he. . .

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Shackles

Houdini: Is it true that he. . .

Postby Shackles » May 3rd, 2010, 10:13 am

Hello. I'm new to the forums here. I've been a lurker for a while, but decided to sign up because I have a few (Houdini) questions. I hope that's alright. Any who.

Is it true that he;

- Drank (alcohol)?*

- Had multiple affairs?**

- Only slept for four hours a night?

Those are the only few that popped to the top of my head right now, but if I have any more, I suppose I'll add to it later.

* I've read that he neither smoked or drank, but someone I spoke to was pretty convinced that he "loved the drink and women".

** Two separate sites listed two different names of women. Maybe they were the same..? I dunno.

Thanks for taking the time to view this, if you do, and any help answering these questions is very much appreciated! (:

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Houdini: Is it true that he. . .

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 3rd, 2010, 10:15 am

Have a read of the Kalush biography.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Shackles

Postby Shackles » May 3rd, 2010, 10:28 am

I am unable to get my hands on it right now. ):

JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

Postby JohnCox » May 3rd, 2010, 10:42 am

I don't believe Houdini drank (Bessie drank, yes she did). As he got older he did smoke a cigar from time to time. Maybe he took a drink as well. But he was not a "drinker."

Yes, it appears Houdini had an affair or two. One for certain (Charmian London). Maybe Daisy White (long whispered). But he was no Tiger Woods.

Don't know about the sleeping. I think I've read that. But it sounds a little like Houdini super-man myth-making. Possible though.

As far as biographies go, I'd recommend Ken Silverman's Houdini!!! The Career of Ehrich Weiss over the Kalush book.
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

Shackles

Postby Shackles » May 3rd, 2010, 3:07 pm

Ah, thanks for the response. Glad to hear what I read was true. Bess smoked as well, didn't she? It's weird how things work out. He was so healthy, yet she out lived him.

Oh, I see. Didn't he 'disown' a brother for something similar that went against their religion? I'm not sure, but I know he wasn't buried with the rest of the family.

I'll definitely try to get my hands on any biographies that my parents will permit me to order.. I'm dying to know more about Houdini, especially the more personal details.. But I'm sure it's hard to find things like that, especially with his fame and all.

Again, I appreciate any and all responses! Thanks for taking the time to reply to this awkward, young Houdini fan. (:

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 3rd, 2010, 3:48 pm

zencat wrote: But he was no Tiger Woods.
Yeah, but if he'd have opened up his stance just a little. . . .

Shackles

Postby Shackles » May 5th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Ha ha, very funny. :P

Say, I've seen a bit of footage of Houdini from several sites, and I own the Kino dvd set, but I'd like to know; Is there any more (rare) footage of him somewhere online? I can list what I've seen, if that helps. D: Thanks!

JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

Postby JohnCox » May 5th, 2010, 4:58 pm

Just search YouTube Shackles. Just about everything that is viewable is there. The Kino set is fabulous.
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

Shackles

Postby Shackles » May 5th, 2010, 5:46 pm

Oh. I usually just come across the same clips every time. Some are very low quality, and yet, I've seen bits and pieces of the same video (on other sites) that are nearly crystal clear.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”