MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Harry Lorayne

MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY

Postby Harry Lorayne » March 15th, 2010, 12:55 pm

Hi: To those who asked: MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY is being re-printed right now.
Not a large printing, and it will be the last. May I suggest that you order/reserve
your copy now. (Then you should have it before the end of this month.)

I'm ready to take orders for MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY now; available only from me.
Price is $44.95 + $4.95 p/h (for a total of $49.90) in the U.S.A.

Not accepting credit cards at the moment, so - pay via PayPal to harrylorayne@earthlink.net or,
because I prefer it, save a buck and send a check or Money Order payable to HARRY LORAYNE,
and mail to: HARRY LORAYNE, 62 JANE STREET, NEW YORK, NY 10014. Do that and take a
dollar off the retail price. (Include your email address, or simply email to say payment is on the way.)
All orders will be filled at the same time, so there will be no delay on check or Money Order orders.
Autographed only on request.

Out-of-U.S.A: Canada - airmail pstg/hndlng is $9.00; total - $53.95.
Europe & other out-of-U.S.A. areas - airmail p/h is $13.75; total - $58.70.

Other mailing choices: Flat rate PRIORITY MAIL envelope: U.S.A. - $7.90 for total of $52.85.
Canada - add $13.45; total - $58.40. Europe, etc. - add $16.50; total - $61.45.

(Go to harryloraynemagic.com to see
what else is available.) Best Regards - HARRY LORAYNE.

Harry Lorayne

Re: MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY

Postby Harry Lorayne » March 15th, 2010, 4:40 pm

To answer a couple of questions - I do NOT have copies of MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY at this moment. They're being "done" at the printers. I've been assured by the printers that I'll have copies before the end of the month. HL.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » March 15th, 2010, 5:54 pm

No, no, darn it - it is NOT the same as my book, Miracle Math. Miracle Math was written for the public - no magic, no tricks. MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY is for magicians only. HL.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » March 21st, 2010, 10:21 am

Printer has notified me that copies of MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY should be ready by this coming week. (Quite frankly, I've heard things like this from printers before, but...!) Anyway, now is the time, if you're interested, to let me know. See the original post above for all information. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » March 25th, 2010, 11:53 pm

Copies have actually arrived! First time a printer has delivered as promised. I'm shocked - but pleased. HL.

J-Mac

Postby J-Mac » April 13th, 2010, 2:17 am

Harry,

I am about halfway through the book - Truly excellent! Thanks for the opportunity to own this book. A great addition to my magic library.

Jim

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » April 13th, 2010, 10:42 am

Thanks for saying so,Jim. If you're only about halfway through the book, you have some "beauties" coming. Enjoy! HARRY L.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » April 27th, 2010, 12:41 pm

My attention was just called to this "testimonial" from Richard Osterlind. I appreciate it, and thought it should be posted here. Here it is:

"I think that MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY represents one of the best investments any magician or mentalist can make for anytime, anywhere miracles and you can quote me on that!

With best regards,
Richard."

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » April 27th, 2010, 1:11 pm

So, I guess because of the above, I've just been told of this testimonial from TMC. I couldn't find the name of the poster, but...here it is:

"If anyone is toying with the idea of buying this book - DON'T wait too long!
I got it from Harry first time around and it's such a fantastic, diverse range of material. It also makes an absorbing read (and enables you to put your cards down for a while)!
Just a tip : when you read the principles and effects, think how you can personlise them into your own style. There are some great effects here that could, for example, be interwoven into your publicity card or business marketing flyers and make you stand out from the rest.
Books don't sell out so quickly because they are naff (sic!). They sell out because the content is excellent. I got it directly from Harry in August 2006 - signed and dated and arrived in England within a week.
I don't lick A** for the sake of it but ANYTHING this geeza produces is dynamite - and that opinion hasn't changed."
(Whoever you are, thanks for these kind words.HL)

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » April 28th, 2010, 12:39 am

I can add...that MW is full of great concepts and gems. In fact, last week I used five of the items at a session with "the boys" and "the boys" were astounded. "The boys" being some of the top pros at The Magic Circle! Harry has given away and taught some lovely material. I bought MW the first time it 'appeared' and I'm still discovering great stuff! Highly recommended. Paul Gordon
Secure Online Magic Shop: https://www.paulgordon.net/shop

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » April 28th, 2010, 3:15 pm

Good to hear, Paul. Thanks. The fact that you "fooled the boys" is great. Interesting - I've gotten a few emails/calls from math teachers and husbands/wives of math teacher, saying that they "astounded" either their students or spouses. Great. HL.

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » April 28th, 2010, 5:13 pm

My only "wish" is that it it could be available in hardback... Paul

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » April 28th, 2010, 8:20 pm

Exact same information no matter if it's softback or hardback. Wanted to make it easier available. HL.

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » April 29th, 2010, 12:36 am

I realise that Harry, but I love hardbacks; they kind of last longer - look nicer etc. Paul

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 1st, 2010, 11:46 am

I have/had many hardback books that taught me zip, nada, so guess it's all in the "eye of the beholder." No? Best - HARRY.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » May 3rd, 2010, 10:17 am

Took the book to bed last night and read "Pleasing Combination." Easily worth the price of the book.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 4th, 2010, 8:58 am

You found one of the real "goodies," Steve.

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » May 4th, 2010, 10:23 am

For a production cost of about 2 EXTRA Dollars, a hard bound book is easier to sell, will sell more, lasts longer and it just plain better to have on a shelf.

just a thought.

Harry, interested in making a deluxe, signed, limited edition?
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 4th, 2010, 10:31 am

Heck, you can self print hardback titles one at a time for a very reasonable price nowadays.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 4th, 2010, 11:53 am

Brent, nice to see that after publishing one book you've become an expert.

Mr. Goat, have you published any books? If not, then you probably don't understand the economics of normal short-run publishing versus print-on-demand.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 4th, 2010, 7:13 pm

Truth be told, I don't understand them at all, Richard. But no, I decided originally, years ago, that MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY should be a softback. I wanted to charge less for it than I usually charge for hardbacks. In retrospect, that probably was a mistake - and at that time, unless I was given incorrect information - it cost much more to do a hardback. In any case, it's too late now. I'm sure I will never re-print this book again. If you don't buy your copy now, and if it goes out of print, you'll be out of luck. If you're interested in some blockbuster mathematical "pieces," just buy the damn thing - no matter what kind of "back" it has! My only thought while writing it was the CONTENT, not the "back." HARRY.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 4th, 2010, 7:15 pm

And Richard, what am I doing wrong? When I come to the forum, the last couple of days, I don't see the Close-Up Magic forum listed. I have to fish around until I find it. H.

Seuss

Postby Seuss » May 4th, 2010, 8:07 pm

Harry,

If you bookmark and visit via http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ you should be able to see all available forums at all times.
Genii Lifetime Subscriber
Co-host Magic On the Side

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 4th, 2010, 11:17 pm

No; clicked on it - same thing. Gotta' be me.

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » May 5th, 2010, 2:07 am

I am claiming to be an expert...hard bound books sell 4 times more than softbound ones. And you can justify charging more for a hard vs soft.
Just tryin' to get Harry some more money in his pocket
TheMagicApple.com

818-508-9921

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 5th, 2010, 10:27 am

I think it's a wash. Yes, I've always done hardback books and yes they usually sell more than softback books. But - that was not the case with MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY - otherwise, why would I have had to re-print it? I guess there are exceptions. As I've said, I wanted MW to be more available. Anyway... HARRY L.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 5th, 2010, 11:05 am

Brent, your experience is as a book seller, not a book publisher. Hardcovers do sell better better than softcovers in our field (the opposite of the real world). That is why all my books have been hardcover except for a few at the beginning.

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » May 6th, 2010, 10:39 am

I agree...

do you have any new books (hardcover) coming out any time soon??
TheMagicApple.com

818-508-9921

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 6th, 2010, 11:30 am

Yes, "The Berglas Effects," my book on DeLand, and perhaps a few surprises.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 8th, 2010, 7:21 pm

This is silly, but - I've been asked by some if MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY is the same as my book, MIRACLE MATH. What a silly question. Why in the world would that be so. Listen carefully - THEY ARE TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT BOOKS. MM was written for the public - no tricks, no jaw droppers, no making people think you're a damn genius. MW does all that. TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT BOOKS. Jeez? HL.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 15th, 2010, 5:31 pm

Oh, c'mon, stop with the silly questions. Either buy the book, or don't. Sorry, folks, you have no idea of the kind of silly questions I get about this book. I tell people, really - if you have to ask so many questions, just don't buy the damn book. Or, go back to the first page of this thread and read Paul Gordon's post. I can't say it better. HL.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » June 25th, 2010, 10:45 am

Interesting. Just cleaning out some old papers and stuff and came across this list. I had originally emailed all those on my email list asking if they'd be interested in purchasing a copy of MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY if I re-printed it. (Remember, this was many months ago.) I also mentioned the probable retail price. I told them that I was trying to decide whether or not to re-print it. Well, I received quite a response - so MANY said that they'd definitely purchase a copy. I re-printed MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY. What's interesting here is that many of those who said they'd purchase a copy - did. But, many who said they would, didn't! I wonder why. Why say you will, then don't? Just interesting to me.

Incidentally, been getting great testimonials about it, many using lots of stuff out of that book. A couple of good ones on the first page of this thread. Paul Gordon, among others, said:

"I can add...that MW is full of great concepts and gems. In fact, last week I used five of the items at a session with "the boys" and "the boys" were astounded. "The boys" being some of the top pros at The Magic Circle! Harry has given away and taught some lovely material. I bought MW the first time it 'appeared' and I'm still discovering great stuff! Highly recommended. Paul Gordon." Anyway, just wanted to get this off my mind/chest as I discard that list of those who definitely would buy, and haven't. Best - HARRY L.

the Larry

Postby the Larry » June 25th, 2010, 11:20 am

Mr. Lorayne, it seems you have no experience with market tests, focus groups, and customer questionnaires. Anybody in marketing knows that there is a world of difference between what people SAY they are going to do, and what they actually DO. Most of the results of these market tests are laughably wrong. Ask the folks at Blackberry. All tests and focus groups revealed that nobody wants to have a phone where they can read their email on. Nobody! It bummed out in all the market studies. Just look around today and you will see how wrong that was. And this is just one of many similar examples. But now you have experienced it yourself and I am sure you will not forget it.

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » June 25th, 2010, 11:48 am

Harry Lorayne wrote: But, many who said they would, didn't! I wonder why. Why say you will, then don't? Just interesting to me.

Their loss!!!

I purchased one of the remaining copies of the previous printing Mathematical Wizardry at about twice the current cost and don't regret it at all.

This book is full of treasures you can not find anywhere else.

If you have any interest in this type of magic, then Mathematical Wizardry is a MUST read and MUST own!

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » June 25th, 2010, 1:44 pm

Yes, Larry, I'm familiar with that general concept, just didn't feel that it applied to magic; not in my case, to people I KNOW and who KNOW ME. Not quite the same thing. Still surprises me.

Thank you, Bob, for those kind words re: MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY. Best - HARRY L.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 25th, 2010, 2:02 pm

Harry, there's a generation of magicians active who might not have gotten to meet you yet. You might as well say hi to them directly before they confuse book learning with the lessons of experience. YouTube can be the next best thing to being there for making a first impression... or getting to Vegas for some conventions.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » June 25th, 2010, 5:58 pm

I have no idea of how to put anything on YouTube, not that I'd particularly want to. Others have put me on YouTube - doing some of my things that I did on videos or on DVDs. And, I think I've done my share of conventions. Right now, I have, admittedly, a terrible attitude - I only go to conventions when I'm paid to be there. Which, of course, is why I haven't been to any conventions in the last few years! I guess that the generation of magicians "who might not have gotten to meet" me yet will just have to get to know me via my many decades of work, writing, teaching, and so on. Best - HARRY L. (This and Jonathan's post really have nothing to do with people who said they would and then didn't, as in my post above.)

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » June 26th, 2010, 1:44 am

It's a little like folks who say, "I'm always there for you" and when you hit rock-bottom, they can't be seen for dust! Or, folks who say, "We must meet up" but have no intention on doing so.

And, procrastinators always wonder why others "got there" first...

But, if you don't buy Harry's MW - you are missing out on startlingly-good stuff...IMHO.

Paul Gordon

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » June 26th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Yeah, something like that, Paul. But, interesting, these were, at least many were, known names in magic, certainly to me. As a matter of fact, I think I knew all the names of those who said they'd definitely purchase a copy when and if I re-printed. And as I said in the opening post, yes, most did. It's the quite a few who said they would and didn't that interested and surprised me. So, it's a bit different than the "general" - like those you quoted above. Anyway... Oh, thanks for the kind words, Paul. Best - HARRY L.

Postby 000 » June 29th, 2010, 7:28 am

Do some lecturers at conventions work without pay?
Ditto performers at Conventions?

In a 1964 Genii issue Gene Gordon mentions that any 'out of town' performer gets paid $50,receives free convention registration and the best room at the Hotel.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”