Essential Magic Conference

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Magic Newswire

Essential Magic Conference

Postby Magic Newswire » March 23rd, 2010, 2:23 pm

Luis DeMatos, David Britland and Marco Tempest joined me on the most recent episode of This Week in Magic to announce the first ever web conference for Magicians, the "Essential Magic Conference". Thirty-three presenters over three days in July for 16 hours of content. Find out more : http://bit.ly/EMC2010

Magic Newswire

Re: Essential Magic Conference

Postby Magic Newswire » March 24th, 2010, 12:39 am

Updated with an exclusive look at the first of the "Passion" videos featuring Marco Tempest.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » March 24th, 2010, 7:51 am

This event sounds fantastic. What a really great idea...

A bunch of amazing speakers as well. Some of the highlights for me (I am mainly a card man) are:

BARRY AND STUART,
DANI DAORTIZ,
DAVID BRITLAND,
ERIC MEAD,
GAETAN BLOOM,
GENE MATSURRA (the expert on Winston Freer, by the way),
GUY HOLLINGWORTH,
LENNART GREEN,
MAX MAVEN,
RICHARD WISEMAN,
TON ONOSAKA,
BILL KALUSH...

I wish those organising this event every success.

I just want to add something. One of the speakers is Dani DaOrtiz. You guys should check out his work on YouTube. He is an incredible card magician. Just click HERE for a sample of his work. It is a matrix effect done with playing cards. It is one of the best things I have ever seen. Another great clip of his work is HERE.

Sorry for the sidetrack. But - I have yet to hear much said about this guy. I think he is phenomenal. I haven't been this impressed with a new card guy since Lennart Green. Let's see him on the cover of GENII!

All the best,

Joe

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » March 24th, 2010, 9:54 am

The Magic Newswire will have exclusive access to these "passion videos" before they are appeared on the official website. In addition, watch for upcoming interviews from many of the presenters on the Spirit of Magic podcast and on This Week in Magic.

To follow-up on Joe's comments, while I am mentioning it, who are the top 10 presenters that you'd like to hear interviewed and what question would you ask them? I'll see what I can do to follow through on your requests!

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » March 24th, 2010, 10:16 am

Please ask Guy Hollingworth if he will be releasing a follow up to DRAWING ROOM DECEPTIONS. I am worried he may become the JD Salinger of magic and not release further works! The guy is a brilliant thinker. His debut book is in my list of top 5 books in card magic...

I love the podcasts, Dodd!

Joe

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » March 24th, 2010, 12:00 pm

I was waiting for this to happen.

I worked on my first online conference back in 2003 and I instantly saw the potential for doing something similar for magic.

Also, my profession is marketing video on demand content. I was waiting for someone to pull this off.

Congrats to all involved, looks like a heck of a line up!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » March 24th, 2010, 12:17 pm

I've just seen, it's only 55 euros.

FIFTY FIVE EUROS?! That's about 70 bucks.

And you get everything on demand for a year after. And then you get it all on a DVD!

Jebers!

So darn cheap for what you get! I am in there like swimwear.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » March 25th, 2010, 5:13 am

I'm registered. What a great line-up!

Matt Field

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » March 25th, 2010, 7:01 pm

Just tried to register from the page which I had left up from yesterday. It didn't work and upon reloading the page, there is no longer a register button. Could they have filled all their spots already?

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » March 25th, 2010, 7:45 pm

Still there for me.

I'm struggling to think why they would cap the registrations on an online seminar, unless it's to get people to register in a hurry...

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » March 25th, 2010, 8:34 pm

I just registered 15 min ago. Still waiting for a confirmation email.

I suspect there will be no cap on registrations. I agree with Ian. Why would they? Except the threat of a limit creates a sense of urgency (which I apparently fell for).

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » March 25th, 2010, 9:53 pm

The limit makes no sense to me either. I figured out what happene, the "Register to Attend" button does no show up when you are logged in on their site. Apparently my payment did not go through but I did get registered to the site. Mark, did you actually get some page that said to look for a confirmation email?

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » March 25th, 2010, 10:08 pm

I'll be happy to look into the limit issue. Given that their goal is to deliver hight quality video with two way communication during the conference, it may be a bandwidth issue.

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » March 25th, 2010, 10:42 pm

I did get a confirmation email. It took a while and its not in English but everything looks legit.

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » March 25th, 2010, 11:04 pm

I registered yesterday, and I received my confirmation almost instantly. I was also curious about the limited registration and came to the conclusion that it was likely a bandwidth issue. Even so, I imagine that subscriptions to the "on demand" content, after the event, could potentially be limitless.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » March 26th, 2010, 6:14 am

Magic Newswire wrote:I'll be happy to look into the limit issue. Given that their goal is to deliver hight quality video with two way communication during the conference, it may be a bandwidth issue.

Bandwidth is the cheapest it has ever been. Most hosts have a decent CDN. If they SERIOUSLY are in doubt their host cannot support x simultaneous connections, get them to talk to me, and I will put them in touch with hosts that can.

Really, capping potential profit cos of bandwidth fears is a little 1995.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » March 31st, 2010, 8:05 pm

From the emails that I've been getting since posting this podcast, it seems that everyone's pretty excited by the idea. As I mentioned when I first posted this, we'll be getting updates to share with you from the speakers and others associated with the conference from time to time in the months leading up to the actual event. The latest is a chat with Bill Kalush in which he discusses the founding of the Conjuring Arts Research Center. Bill is among the 33 presenters scheduled for the three day event in July: http://bit.ly/doQ821

the Larry

Postby the Larry » March 31st, 2010, 8:13 pm

This looks like a great concept. The only beef I have with it is that they scheduled less than 30minutes for each speaker. Way too little particularly since they want to make this interactive. How can you do a presentation and have an exchange with the viewers in 30 minutes? Less would be much more in this case.

The other problem with such online events - and I have participated in several of such events in the past (not magic) - there is alwasy something not working technically. Either being on the client end or the service end. And that can lead to utter misery.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 31st, 2010, 8:20 pm

Well, "the Larry," rather than saddle this new event with your complaints about other events of this type in the past, let's see how the first one actually goes before you complain about technical glitches.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » March 31st, 2010, 8:26 pm

They are also adopting the Ted model which limits presentations to 20 min or so. I for one will say that I have sat through far too many 1HR + presentations that would have been far better at 20 min or less!

Also, for your $75 registration, you'll also be getting a set of DVD's with all 16 hours + of content!

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » March 31st, 2010, 11:26 pm

This is actually perfect for my father
because he can sit at home and watch
people talk about magic and talk
back to the TV (and me) even tho
he might not do it any longer he
still like to talk about it ...
and you get him on a subject and
he goes on a tangent and he just
talks all day long. non stop.

this would be perfect with him
since he can't travel (and I can't
get him to go very far) and he
can sit in the comfort of his own
recliner.

Despite the fact he was never much
for attending lectures, he was more
of a doer, i think anything magic related
he can watch or be around makes him
feel good.

Hmmm... maybe i'll treat him to this.
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 1st, 2010, 12:46 am

If it guarantees 60+ hours of us not hearing about you father in each and every freaking thread, I'll treat him.

the Larry

Postby the Larry » April 1st, 2010, 3:23 am

20 minutes of presentation is great but 10 minutes of Q&A or 'interaction with viewers' (however they have planned it) is way too little. Particularly since this is being marketed as 'interactive'.

Despite what Mr. Kaufman tries to read into my post, as I opened "I like the concept". I am sorry that I have seen too many online conventions fail because of technical problems. Not to mention the fact that 16 hours in front of the computer or TV makes Ben Hur seem like a short story. It is not what most of us are looking forward to. 7 speakers over 7 hours would probably be a better choice than 33 speakers and 16 hours.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » April 1st, 2010, 7:05 pm

So sorry you're disappointed by the event that hasn't happened...

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » April 1st, 2010, 7:59 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:If it guarantees 60+ hours of us not hearing about you father in each and every freaking thread, I'll treat him.

Can't help it.
Much of the reason why I hang around is for that reason.
You can't really say that I mentioned him in each thread.
Since there are many times when I'm not even active here.

But my statement in this one is valid.
He can't travel since his stroke, so for someone
to attend a conventionwithout being on the road is nice.
you will remember my name

http://www.mai-ling.net

world's youngest illusionista

Dave Klaiber
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Dave Klaiber » April 2nd, 2010, 1:34 pm

Mai-ling,

I have 4 grown children and am fortunate that I currently enjoy good health. I hope, however, that should I ever become incapacitated as your father has, at least one of my children would honor and treat me with the same love, respect and compassion that you have shown to your father. It is very obvious to me that you were raised with loving parents that besides their love for magic also instilled in you many other virtues.

Perhaps that is the reason you "Can't help it". I for one do enjoy hearing your comments about your father. I also enjoyed meeting you and your parents at my first Collector's Weekend event a few years ago. It's magicians like your father that made the magic history we are now able to enjoy learning about. But more importantly it's fathers like yours that can be extremely proud of the children they raised.

Dave Klaiber

the Larry

Postby the Larry » April 2nd, 2010, 2:00 pm

NCMarsh wrote:So sorry you're disappointed by the event that hasn't happened...

The organizers specifically have solicted feedback to the planned event. I am providing my feedback. I know that criticism is often taken the wrong way. I am trying to help so that it will be a success. I am not the kind of guy that says to everything "Oh yes, that is great, it can't be improved any more."

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 2nd, 2010, 3:32 pm

Mai-ling,

You consistently insert your father/mother or other family stories into threads that have nothing to do with them. You have done this to the point that many people are tired of hearing about them - which I know is the exact opposite of your intentions.

In the past few days I have made several comments that were taking jabs at your habit. I think you failed to realize the sarcasm in those statements.

However, I have received dozens of emails and messages from people thanking me for saying what was on their mind.

If you would like to post about your father, please create specific threads about him and please stop interjecting him into topics of conversation that have nothing to do with your obsession/devotion to your family.

I will personally take a moment to apologize to those interested in the EMC for playing a role in hijacking this thread. I assure you my intention was to prevent further hijacks and digressions from Mai-ling. I hope this clear and outright statement will prevent the need for any further tangent.

I realize that some people may find these words harsh. However, many magicians refuse to say anything but the kindest of nonsense lest the brotherhood be tarnished.

I am clearly not of that mindset.

I am tired of hearing about your family, Mai-ling (much as I am tired of hearing about Glenn Bishop's.) Please try to remain on topic in the future and should you feel the need to praise your father, start a thread and praise away.

It will make you, and the rest of us, feel better.

Thanks,

Brad

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 2nd, 2010, 3:46 pm

I'll take this as an opportunity to enhance my forums experience by using the handy "Ignore this user" function. (Available from a users profile screen)

That being said, I wish the promoters of this online event much luck and success. I see potential in the concept.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » April 3rd, 2010, 12:41 am

I just posted the next video in the EMC "Passion Video" with Steve Cohen available only at Magic Newswire.com : http://bit.ly/djHdwx

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » April 11th, 2010, 11:39 am

The latest video from the Essential Magic Conference went online exclusively at the Magic Newswire this week and features Roger Quan, the owner of Rogue Magic in NYC: http://bit.ly/cH3Pmu

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » April 20th, 2010, 7:46 pm

I just posted the latest interview from the Essential Magic Conference which features Bill Herz. Watch it here: http://bit.ly/d87fDJ

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » April 27th, 2010, 7:32 pm

I have just posted the latest video from the Essential Magic conference with Matthew Holtzclaw. Enjoy at: http://bit.ly/dmCxJF

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » May 11th, 2010, 11:25 am

The latest EMC 2010 video features Apollo Robbins and went up today here : www.bit.ly/d5l48w
Last edited by Magic Newswire on July 1st, 2010, 11:22 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: fixed link

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » May 16th, 2010, 2:11 pm

In case you're wondering what the EMC conference will look like, have a peek at the set where the broadcast will take place: www.bit.ly/EMC2010set

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » May 30th, 2010, 12:47 pm

The latest EMC Video went up today featuring mentalist Ava Do and you can watch it here: www.bit.ly/AvaDoEMC

Several members only videos have been also posted with more to come which are only available to EMC Members. The most recent of these features a chat with my co-host on the "This Week in Magic" podcast, David Kaye.

naquada

Postby naquada » July 1st, 2010, 3:10 am

Last night the media partners had a sneak peek at the Essential Magic Conference..

We were more than impressed!!! Using the same interface that conference attendees will be using we were shown around the set of studio 33, and walked through how the conference will work.

http://www.magicconventionguide.com/201 ... peek-live/

The video feed wasnt your normal slow, fuzzy transmission, we can honestly say that watching Luis and the team live at Studio 33, was just like watching TV at home, add to that the fact that the video feed can be full screened, it made it wonderful to watch.

You also have the choice of bandwidth for the live video, 1/2meg 1meg and HD quality, under the video is a live chat system, and an area for raising questions to the speakers.

The media partners will be getting some video of the sneak peek this week, which we'll all place onto our sites so you can see just what we're talking about..

There are some more photos caught live from the event on the above article on MagicConventionGuide.com along with all the current coverage at - http://www.magicconventionguide.com/cat ... ence-2010/

if the sneak peek is anything to go by, I'd highly recommend registering today - http://essentialmagicconference.com/

this is something very very special!!!
Member of The Magic Circle
www.magicconventionguide.com

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » July 1st, 2010, 8:32 am

Thanks, naquada.
Any idea what the schedule time frame is for us folks across the pond?
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 1st, 2010, 9:14 am

Luis did say that the final scheduled would be released soon as well. I agree with Andrew, the quality of the broadcast was outstanding and the production values were excellent! There are multiple cameras being used and directed from a central control center, much like a traditional television broadcast, and included a steadicam which can be used to get up close and in the action when needed. I've posted photos of the set that is used before, but will let you know as soon as the video from yesterday comes available. If you haven't signed up, I'd highly recommend it.

naquada

Postby naquada » July 1st, 2010, 3:31 pm

Currently the three days are scheduled as three sessions per day.

Thursday 15th July
Session one: 16:00 - 17:00
Session two: 18:00 - 20:00
Session three: 21:30 - 23:30

Friday 16th July
Session four: 15:00 - 17:00
Session five: 18:00 - 20:00
Session six: 21:30 - 23:30

Saturday 17th July
Session seven: 15:00 - 17:00
session eight: 18:00 - 20:00
session nine: 21:30 - 23:30

I believe as Dodd said, they will fill in who's appear in each session shortly.. I also think all times are local time for studio 33 (portugal, which is currently the same as UK time.. luckily)
Member of The Magic Circle

www.magicconventionguide.com

Return to “Buzz”