Bottlecap Matrix

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
Brandon Hall

Bottlecap Matrix

Postby Brandon Hall » March 16th, 2010, 1:50 pm

Al Schneider solved all of the problems presented by this effect. Under what circumstances would this version be preferable?
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Bottlecap Matrix

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 16th, 2010, 2:05 pm

Brandon Hall wrote:Al Schneider solved all of the problems presented by this effect. Under what circumstances would this version be preferable?

Is there some context for this question?

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » March 16th, 2010, 2:14 pm

I thought it was odd to include this, It feels to me, like an evolutionary step backwards and I wondered what others thought...I was particularly interested in your opinion, Jonathan.

P. Townshend

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 16th, 2010, 2:32 pm

I felt that way too when intially reading Angelo's description, until the moment where he goes back and uses the one cap to show caps in all positions--that's the brilliant part.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » March 16th, 2010, 2:34 pm

That was very clever.

P. Townshend

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » March 16th, 2010, 4:01 pm

Isn't that Shigeo Takagi's strategy, as used by Bob Kohler?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 16th, 2010, 5:17 pm

Brandon, I'm going to have to take that routine out for a spin around the block ( and try it a few times at work ) to see how it works. The notion of bottlecaps was brought to my attention by someone at Tannen's in regards to the assembly trick long ago and suggested the finale of producing the bottle attached so I see the prop itself as suitable. The strategy of using one item as a pseudo duplicate suggests other applications (say changing them all to other bottlecaps (bent - other brands - coins?) so again I will have to try it out and see how the routine flows for me and works for others. News - when I have some to report. And thanks for the devoir. :)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 16th, 2010, 5:38 pm

Of course the idea of using bottlecaps instead of coins in a Coin Assembly is perhaps 70 to 80 years old. If they were using old-style bottlecaps with pointy edges when Yank Hoe created the trick, then someone shortly thereafter though--Gee, it's much easier to classic palm a bottlecap!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 16th, 2010, 5:46 pm

What; you were expecting rubies?
Albert Goshman

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » March 16th, 2010, 9:33 pm

Coin man Dan Watkins took the idea and ran with it a couple of years ago. Caplocation is the name of the routine.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 17th, 2010, 7:51 am

Brandon Hall wrote:Al Schneider solved all of the problems presented by this effect. Under what circumstances would this version be preferable?

I tried the routine - it has some strong points and probably plays well when done on the carpetted floor using postcards.

Got a job working for Snapple?

John Carney

Postby John Carney » March 18th, 2010, 11:34 am

I played around with the "Chink a Chink" from Stars of Magic when I was about 15. Then I went to my first big magic convention....Abbotts. I saw Albert Goshman do it with bottlecaps. I had no idea how magical it could look. Even though I had worked on it, it looked like real magic to me. I went back to work on it when I got home.

Goshman was really great. The bottlecaps and the salt shakers......amazing!

Dan LeFay

Postby Dan LeFay » March 19th, 2010, 5:47 am

I agree with that John.
Lately we've been overwhelmed with (most of the time)coin chink-a-chink routines. But seeing Albert Goshman do it, gave a very rare feeling of perfection.
I think it is in his timing. The way in which his body and arms relax at exactly the right time, is something most of us can learn a lot from.
And yes, there is something inexplicably magical to the plot! One of my favorites!

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » March 19th, 2010, 9:02 am

Here is a video of the bottle cap matrix so you can see how it looks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKMEf-Aa6H8

The reason why I chose to do it with plastic bottle caps is because they are easy to grip QUICKLY. I tried it with coins with tags/flaps of invisible sellotape (pointing up) in the middle of the coins but always go back to bottle caps.

I only found out recently of Bob kohler's version even do I came up with my version many years ago. In Kohler's trick he also uses one coin to impersonate others but he vanishes the coins one at a time. The handling for stealing and replacing is all different. The bottle cap version is much easier (in my opinion) and I think more deceptive because the speed of the routine almost generates a retention of image that each cap is under the card. Of course you don't have to use bottle caps - any object that is easy to grip such as dice, candy etc.

I am not aware of 'Caplocation'. If anyone can send me a scan I would like to see how similar or different it is.

Many thanks!

Angelo

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » March 19th, 2010, 9:07 am

Angelo Carbone wrote:Here is a video of the bottle cap matrix so you can see how it looks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKMEf-Aa6H8

Oh that looks like real magic! Brilliant!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 19th, 2010, 9:40 am

Might also want to see what's been done with the Motile approach since that's been sitting in Bobo's for a generation or two now.

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » March 19th, 2010, 1:35 pm

If the object is to create an effect that is simple and direct, you can not, in my opinion, do any better than the Al Schneider version. It is an elegant solution. Quarters are much more accessible as are standard sized playing cards. If one wants to use bottle caps (or sugar cubes, etc...), then chink-a-chink is the perfect solution, since it removes even the playing cards. Again, this is just my opinion (as it stands now...)
Last edited by Brandon Hall on March 19th, 2010, 1:36 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: punctuation

P. Townshend

gberard

Postby gberard » March 22nd, 2010, 2:24 pm

Ken Garr used to produce a bottle attached to one of the caps at the end of his routine (if my memory serves me).

Doug Brewer

Postby Doug Brewer » March 23rd, 2010, 4:18 am

In a way, this reminds me of the Roth, Stonehenge Assembly (and yes, the Kohler routine) with the layout and initial steals. Good routine! This would play nicely in an impromptu setting, say at a party working on a carpet with specs looking down.

Caplocation is done strictly with bottle caps (metal, flared edges). You can find Dan's site at www.coinvanish.com.

Doug

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » March 23rd, 2010, 3:49 pm

Just been told Caplocation uses metal bottle caps and no cards and uses different layout and handling to the way I do it. Phew!

Return to “Magicana”