My HaLo Cut

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Harry Lorayne

My HaLo Cut

Postby Harry Lorayne » January 23rd, 2010, 11:46 am

Not very important, but a few people have brought it to my attention. Recently, on DVDs and in writings, people have been nice enough to credit me when doing what they THINK is my HaLo Cut. I do appreciate the credit, but - they are buckling the bottom card of the deck to prepare for the HaLo Cut. And, as I've written/taught/mentioned MANY times, if you do ANY preparation, that is NOT my HaLo Cut; you can call it a "form of." That was/is one of the main points - there IS NO preparation; buckling the bottom card is unnecessary. Just want to keep the record straight. Best - HaLo.

Harry Lorayne

Re: My HaLo Cut

Postby Harry Lorayne » January 23rd, 2010, 12:31 pm

I've been asked to supply a demo of the proper way to do my HaLo Cut, and I'd love to. Problem is, I don't know how to do that. I'm a lousy computer person. HL.

Marc Rehula

Postby Marc Rehula » February 10th, 2010, 1:00 pm

You demonstrate it several times on your DVDs, or would there be copyright issues?

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 10th, 2010, 1:17 pm

Don't understand your question, Marc. I own the copyright, so that's not a problem. The problem is as stated - "I don't know how to do it." Steven Youell posted a video - and he does my HaLo cut properly - on another forum. HL.

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » February 10th, 2010, 2:02 pm

Hi Harry,

If it is just a technical issue, I would be happy to extract your explanation of the HaLo cut from your "Harry Lorayne is the greatest teacher ..." video #1 and post it here.

Of course, I'd only do this with your permission.

/Bob

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 10th, 2010, 2:41 pm

Sure, go ahead Bob. Just the explanation of the move, no effects, etc. Okay? HL.

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » February 10th, 2010, 2:44 pm

Sounds good.

I will send you the link for pre-approval - just to be sure.

/Bob

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 10th, 2010, 3:36 pm

I am smiling with glee.

Imagine this happening on any other magic forum?

So kind of BC and HL.

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » February 10th, 2010, 4:30 pm

OK, here it is, Harry Lorayne's HaLo cut.

In QuickTime format: http://www.screencast.com/t/MjkxNWRlMGM

The video is password protected and the password is halocut [all lower case].

Enjoy,

/Bob
Last edited by Bob Cunningham on February 10th, 2010, 4:46 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Problem with the wmv format

Dave Beutler

Postby Dave Beutler » February 10th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Thank you, gentlemen.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 10th, 2010, 4:58 pm

Is it only on my computer, and because of my inefficiency with computers, that the piece seems to end too abruptly, sort of in the middle of a word? I think it goes on a bit longer on my DVD or video cassette. In any case, if it helps anyone, I'm pleased. Thanks, Bob. Best - HARRY L.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 10th, 2010, 5:40 pm

Just downloaded Quick Time, so the piece runs longer - a bit offsync on my computer. How is it on yours? HL.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 10th, 2010, 6:26 pm

Works fine for me, but the sound is a bit off-synch. But that doesn't inhibit understanding.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 10th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Good. I know I talk funny, but as long as it's being understood!

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » February 10th, 2010, 6:40 pm

I wonder if it is a Windows thing? I am viewing it from a Mac and it seems fine. The sound is a little loud, but this was ripped from a digitized version of my original VHS tape ;-(

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 10th, 2010, 6:55 pm

Could be IE. I haven't tried viewing it in Firefox.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » February 10th, 2010, 7:03 pm

looks fine on a Mac here...

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 10th, 2010, 11:41 pm

Someone called earlier this evening to tell me that he didn't understand the "Super Learning" after I teach the HaLo Cut in the video. He said he didn't see the bottom card being held back at all. I'm assuming that he's the only one who was confused there. He didn't see the bottom card being held back because it wasn't being held back! The "Super Learning" piece was just demo'ing the basic, standard, kick cut. Probably unnecessary...but that's what it is - not the HaLo Cut there. Hope I've explained this properly. HL.

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » February 11th, 2010, 8:24 am

It looks like about 80 people have viewed this so far.

So is anybody already using the HaLo cut?

I use it as part of Dr. Daley's last trick. I begin with the 4 queens on top of the deck (to avoid Aces).

I ask my spectators if they want to see the world's fastest card trick. I tell them that this uses the 4 Queens. I turn the deck face up and HaLo cut 1/4 of the deck off and turn that packet face down. This puts a Queen on top of 1/4 of the face down tabled deck. Repeat this.

You now have two face down piles with on Queen on each pile and 1/2 the deck in you hands with two Queens on top.

The next idea is from Bill Malone: Milk shuffle the top card (Queen) and face card into your left hand. Continue pulling cards from the face into the left hand and ask the spectator to tell you to stop.

Of course, where ever they tell you to stop you are left with two piles with a Queen on top of both. Turn both pile face down and table them. You now have 4 face down piles. Then reveal a Queen on top of each pile.

This all takes less than 30 secs and then I launch into Dr. Daley's last trick.

So how about anybody else?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 11th, 2010, 8:36 am

Harry, the clip was fine. Thanks.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » February 11th, 2010, 8:38 am

Jon,

Were you using Windows?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 11th, 2010, 8:47 am

Windows Vista here, seemed pretty close if not perfectly in sync.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 11th, 2010, 10:09 am

Hey Bob: You gave me my laugh for the day! I love the credit to Bill Malone. You described, EXACTLY, my HaLo Aces (I think I may have called it HaLo Again originally) from Rim Shots - 1973. Now re-written, updated, etc., in The Classic Collection, Vol. 2.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 11th, 2010, 10:15 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YwMoeOdGzE

Someone posted the above link in another forum. I'm a lousy computer person so don't know if I copy/pasted it correctly. Anyway, if you can get to it, you'll see EXACTLY WHAT YOU DESCRIBED - first routine - with kings. Then it goes into a different effect - Numero Uno. HL.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 11th, 2010, 10:31 am

As a matter of fact, as I think of it, you took my explanation of the HaLo Cut from a video of mine - the routine you speak of was, I'm pretty sure, on that same video.

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » February 11th, 2010, 10:41 am

Harry, I humbly apologize.

I should have known. I think the problem is that you are so prolific, and influential, that it is hard to keep track ;-)

Even if I did not properly credit you, thanks for the teaching!

/Bob

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 11th, 2010, 11:31 am

I use the HaLo cut for a number of effects, including my production of two Aces simulataneously from different parts of the deck. Gets a good reaction at lectures and an even better one from laymen. I also use Harry's "Goin' Fishin" out of Afterthoughts.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » February 11th, 2010, 11:42 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:I also use Harry's "Goin' Fishin" out of Afterthoughts.

I really liked this too when I saw it published in the May 2008 Genii within Lorayne's "Hidden Gems" column.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 11th, 2010, 12:42 pm

I don't know how to do it - put a link to a video here, that is. Of course, I've been asked to do that with my Goin' Fishin'. You'd have to ask Bob - and I'd give permission only to show the effect - I'd rather people buy my books or DVDs to learn how to do the things. No? Best - HL.

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » February 11th, 2010, 1:07 pm

Here it is, "Goin' Fishin" by Harry Lorayne - performance only.

Please remember, this was taken off of an OLD VHS tape, so the quality is not very high.

http://www.screencast.com/t/ZjA0NjQ2

The video is password protected and the password is halocut [all lower case].

You can by the DVD where Harry teaches this here: http://www.harryloraynemagic.com/besteverdvd2.html

/Bob

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 11th, 2010, 1:18 pm

Thanks, Bob. I have no idea how you do these things! It's interesting - if I had to do videos again, I'd know that the camera should be pointing just slightly down at my hands and the deck, as it is in "real life." That is, spectators are looking slightly down at the action and, of course, they are nowhere near that close to hands and deck. All the things I see on these videos - the breaks, etc. - are NOT seen in "real" action. Also, the end result looks so much better when looking down at it.

And thanks for putting up my magic website address, Bob. If anyone goes there, and is interested in any item, or has any questions, please email to my personal email address (harrylorayne@earthlink.net). You can order directly from me that way. Best - HARRY L.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 11th, 2010, 1:35 pm

No, to those who called and asked - I don't have any idea how to keep the subject (this subject) on first screen of Close-Up Magic. I do know that when a new post in that category comes in, the one that was there disappears. I do know to click on Close-Up Magic at left of the screen, and then scroll down until I find the subject (My HaLo Cut, this example) and then I can read all the posts, click on Links, or reply, as I'm doing right now. I wish there was a way to keep it "obvious," and there well might be, but I sure don't know it. Perhaps someone can help. HARRY L.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 11th, 2010, 2:15 pm

RK could make it a 'sticky'. A thread that always appears at the top of an individual forum.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 11th, 2010, 2:32 pm

I never heard of that, mrgoat. But doubt if RK wants to make it "sticky," at least for a while, so that those who might want to see the videos can get a chance to do so. (And, of course, selfishly, to let my personal email address be seen/noted, and etc.)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 11th, 2010, 2:35 pm

We've actually got too many sticky notes as it is. Need to clean those up.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 11th, 2010, 2:39 pm

Mr Lorayne, it is as easy as locking a thread. And I for one think it would be a shame if this just got lost down the threadbumps of time. Maybe there could be a new section of the forum where instructional video clips are stored? I know there have been several Magicana youtube bits done by the inventors of the pieces. Probably other "useful" or historically important clips that have dribbled down the threads...

How about:

MEDIA
-Magicana Clips (clips from magicana, obv)
-Professional Advice (clips like Mr Lorayne showing his own move)
-Please critique this (members post videos asking for help on a part of it - technical, movement, acting, scripting, timing, staging etc)
-Cool Stuff (just a place people can post interesting magic related videos)

Just a thought...

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 11th, 2010, 2:39 pm

Hi Richard: I still have no idea where/what are the stickies - but after you clean 'em up, why not put mine up there for a while? Or, as someone just advised me - keep posting here, no matter how silly or unimportant, and this topic will remain listed, etc. Ha! I can do that!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 11th, 2010, 2:40 pm

Harry Lorayne wrote: Or, as someone just advised me - keep posting here, no matter how silly or unimportant, and this topic will remain listed, etc. Ha! I can do that!

That's a great idea.

In my opinion.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 11th, 2010, 2:42 pm

Mrgoat: Just saw yours above, after responding to Richard. I know what the words "locking a thread" mean, of course, but don't know how that applies here. Does that mean that no more responses would be possible? Don't know if that'd be a good thing, or not. HL.

Paul Hayward

Postby Paul Hayward » February 11th, 2010, 2:47 pm

Hi Harry,

That was a marvellous peice of entertaining card magic. Its made my evening.

Best regards,

Paul

Return to “Close-Up Magic”