Has Hollywood Magic Vanished?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Pete Biro

Has Hollywood Magic Vanished?

Postby Pete Biro » October 18th, 2009, 2:21 am

Friend of mine said he heard the family has emptied out the stock and shut down the Store?

Any confirmation?
Stay tooned.

Lisa Cousins

Re: Has Hollywood Magic Vanished?

Postby Lisa Cousins » October 18th, 2009, 3:06 am

I walked by there three days ago, and it was open. Today I talked to a guy on Hollywood Blvd. who was wearing an elaborate Star Trek costume, and he mentioned that he bought it at Hollywood Magic. (Which is of course not to say that he bought it today - although he was so visibly happy wearing the costume, as though it expressed his really TRUE true identity, that I'd say it was at least marginally possible that he was so excited when he bought it that he changed into it immediately.)

Anyway, it's hard for me to imagine that anyone would close a magic shop in the weeks before Halloween. But I have no official information on the matter.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 18th, 2009, 12:24 pm

Maybe it has been switched to a HALLOWEEN SUPPLY SHOP??? Temporarily??? We'll see, I'll drive by there today.
Stay tooned.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » October 18th, 2009, 12:33 pm

I was by there yesterday and it was closed.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 18th, 2009, 6:23 pm

I just went by and couldn't tell as they had the metal roll down door shut (and so did the shop next door). Will have to look mid-week.
Stay tooned.

Magic Randy

Postby Magic Randy » October 19th, 2009, 4:14 pm

I tried calling their phone number a few times today but no answer. Not a good sign.

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » October 19th, 2009, 5:02 pm

On Thursday, as I hear, all employees are temporarily laid-off. And the store is CLOSED.
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

Magic Randy

Postby Magic Randy » October 19th, 2009, 5:13 pm

A temporary lay-off just before the busiest time of year suggests that it may not be temporary.

Dave Mithaca

Postby Dave Mithaca » October 19th, 2009, 6:09 pm

I've always had great dealings with Hollywood Magic. There's a lot of magical history associated with that store and some real good guys working there were always helpful during my trips there. I hope it's only a temporary thing.

Dave<-----Hoping for the best!

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Postby BlueEyed Videot » October 19th, 2009, 7:00 pm

I sure hope not. I've been patronizing Hollywood Magic since before Joe Berg's shop closed. And since leaving California, I've always made a stop every time I returned to L.A. Don't know what I'm going to do when all the brick & mortar shops vanish.

Remember this, folks, the next time you you need the latest and greatest wonder that you read about in the Genii trick review section. Order it from your local brick & mortar. They'll appreciate the business, and I'll have somewhere to take my grandkids on a Saturday afternoon.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » October 19th, 2009, 7:30 pm

For what it is worth, I've been calling there since this rumor first was emailed to me and there has been no answer. Wonder how many people are worried about the Halloween Costumes that they put deposits on.

Joe Skilton

Postby Joe Skilton » October 20th, 2009, 12:09 am

I'll miss Newell behind the counter. Thank goodness L.A. still has The Magic Apple.

I've shopped at both Hollywood Magic and The Magic Apple, and they're both great for what they are. HM had the history and lost of larger props, while TMA had awesome lectures and was the cool kids' daytime hangout.

What a shame... hope its just a rumor.

brainecho

Postby brainecho » October 20th, 2009, 2:41 pm

Slight update.

I was there when the excitement was happening several days ago. The police officer stopped me from entering. Everyone, including the police, were wide-eyed and concerned.

Earlier I had walked by when I saw the metal door half down. When I returned the door was up, but it appeared to be a crime scene. I shot some high def video from across the street, but the police had gone inside and taken control.

I asked a confused employee later if I should come back the next day and he kindly said I should. However I could see he was thinking that might not be productive. It was simply not the time to ask what was happening.

As I walked around, shopkeepers who had seen me speaking to the police checked to see what the story might be. When I did return I ventured into the exotic lingerie shop next door and asked the very pleasant lady when the shop might reopen. She told me that there had been a terrible scene between the owners who she described as a brother and sister and she said it was all so very sad, "Right when the best season is going on". I felt the same sadness.

I do not know more detail because I was moving through Los Angeles on my way back to Australia where I am now.

Let us all hope that things get straightened out because Hollywood Magic is one of the last truly wonderful magic shops. To emphasise this, just before I spoke to the lingerie lady, I noticed two young men speaking with great concern outside Hollywood Magic. I usually would not invade private conversations, but I told them what I had seen. They introduced themselves as performers from India. They explained that they had made a special trip from Long Beach where they had a few hours free from the cruise ship where they performed and they needed to urgently stock up on supplies for the next part of the journey. Yes, any long-term closure of the shop might leave a larger gap than we might expect.

Ian Buckland. Melbourne.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » October 20th, 2009, 7:08 pm

Ian, nice scoop on the story. Thanks.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » October 20th, 2009, 9:46 pm

Wow, sorry to hear. They had a positive impact on my little magic business even from far away. They bought rom us and it was much appreciated. Happy to have been part of the history there. All the best to them.

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » October 21st, 2009, 2:43 am

...interesting...
TheMagicApple.com

818-508-9921

Jonathan Neal

Postby Jonathan Neal » October 21st, 2009, 10:42 am

There is indeed a dispute between the two younger family members of Hollywood Magic. This has resulted in legal actions and counter suits. Greg is actively seeking to re-open the shop ASAP and unfortunately, as mentioned above, means the probable loss of the Halloween season.

Jonathan Neal

Postby Jonathan Neal » October 21st, 2009, 10:45 am

You needn't worry: Hollywood Magic has never required customers to put deposits on costumes, as they never do special orders. Rather, they invest considerable sums based on previous years expectations and current trends.. and hope for the best. It may be that this year that investment may not be recouped.

But i believe the shop will be open relatively soon.

Terrence

Postby Terrence » October 21st, 2009, 3:16 pm

Thank you Jonathan, and also thank you for the times that you have been on the other side of the counter.

Many of us here have always loved the store, and we want to see it succeed and stick around, along with all of you who have worked there.

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » October 29th, 2009, 12:10 am

its been 14 days since the GATE was closed in Hollywood...
TheMagicApple.com

818-508-9921

Brisbin

Postby Brisbin » November 12th, 2009, 9:10 pm

Any updates available on Hollywood Magic from our SoCal friends?
"No Dough, No Show" - Stan Kramien
"What the mind harbors, the body manifests." - Tohei Koichi

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 12th, 2009, 9:46 pm

I spoke to someone who works at the shop when I was in LA last week. The shop is still closed, siblings fighting, and Louis St. Pierre cannot be found: his condo is empty and they don't know where he is. The whole thing is strange and no immediate resolution is in sight.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 13th, 2009, 7:46 am

Ah! The midnight flit. I have done it many times.

M4Magic

Postby M4Magic » December 17th, 2009, 8:03 am

You know, I find it VERY hard to believe that
A: Louis St. Pierre just up and "disappeared" at 80-something years old without a trace.
B: Neither Greg OR Janor St. Pierre knows WHERE he is.
C: Nobody has more information on what the hell happened.

For all intents and purposes, that store was a historical Hollywood landmark. The store itself has a vast history to it, and the famous/not-so-famous customers who've patronized the shop are legion. It's like the Hollywood sign disappearing and having everyone just shrug their shoulders like it's no big deal. So sad.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 17th, 2009, 8:14 am

If the kids know where Louis Sr is, they're not talking. They've looked in his condo and it's empty. I hear the store is empty, too. You may find it hard to believe, but when a family starts feuding, it's all over.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

M4Magic

Postby M4Magic » December 17th, 2009, 9:28 am

One of them knows exactly where he is. That family has been feuding for 20 + years, so when I say that I "find it hard to believe", I suppose what I really mean to say is, "I don't buy it."

The store is empty, the condo in Newport beach is empty.

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » December 17th, 2009, 11:14 am

The giant sign has been removed and the store apparently is slowing becoming empty. I don't know where the merchandise is going BUT the toy store next door now has a GIANT sign out side that says "Magic Tricks sold here" (not to be confused with Fresh Fish Sold Here).

it is a shame to see all of that 'priceless' stuff go to waste or be put in the wrong hands
TheMagicApple.com

818-508-9921

stealthbugger

Postby stealthbugger » January 7th, 2010, 3:12 pm

i lived with janor for a couple of years about 20 years ago. she was a wonderful woman. the brother seemed to be rather geeky, not aggressive and i don't think he'd stand a chance fueding with janor and judy. i've got a very old, extremely valuable pool cue from louis. he and i shot pool in our garage on christmas day. and i've got footage of all of us at his condo in newport, footage of louis playing the piano @ christmas. that whole family was very good to me. i should have married that girl, her picture is still here on my desk. i know she got a bulldog and named it zuess. i now have a bulldog named ludwig. it would be amazing to hear from her.

Terrence

Postby Terrence » January 23rd, 2010, 10:26 am

Kind of an update.

A new place to shop for magic in Hollywood, right next door from Hollywood Magic's location, at the Hollywood Toys and Costume store.

The owners have set up a magic counter, and as of this writing it is being staffed by our own Lisa Cousins and Newell Unfried.

I'll be checking this out today.

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » January 23rd, 2010, 4:53 pm

...and so the battle begins...

ha ha
TheMagicApple.com

818-508-9921

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 23rd, 2010, 5:25 pm

Lisa looks great in her sparkly dress. How about you Brent? :)

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » January 23rd, 2010, 7:12 pm

The battle is over!

Terrence

Postby Terrence » January 23rd, 2010, 10:13 pm

OK. The Costume & Toys is almost next door - it's two doors east of the old shop.

And yes Pete -- the battle never really should have even started in the first place! Go Lisa!!

BTW they are running 7 days a week, and are still a little in the getting started process. But they are selling, and I'm going over tomorrow before R. Paul's lecture.

Stop in and say hello.

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » January 24th, 2010, 1:56 am

R. Paul said that he stopped by the counter on Friday looking for me, but I'm there five days a week and Friday isn't one of those days. He said he asked for a dye-tube, and they pointed him to the Beauty Lounge.

Well, thanks to Newell starting today, there will now be a magic person on-site seven days a week.

As for Brent's hurled gauntlet - I have already on numerous occasions sent people over to the Magic Apple, with the specific address and driving directions and compliments about the friendly guy who runs the place.

The thing is, the area surrounding the Magic Castle (dubbed "The Estate" by Gordon Bean) simply MUST contain the highest per-capita magician population on earth. There are four magicians living on my block alone. Add to that the out-of-town magicians who stay at the Magic Castle Hotel or the Highland Gardens - many of whom do not have a car at their disposal - and you can plainly see the need for a walking-distance purveyor of magic in such a uniquely magic-rich neighborhood.

Bear in mind, too, that this is not a magic shop, but a magic department in a larger store. There is presently no room to host events like lectures, booksignings, parties, and all of those things for which the Magic Apple is so justly famous. It's just a neighborhood place where you can go get some magic.

And as Terrence mentioned above, it's a growing place. I'm constantly ordering things and "taking requests." It's very much a work-in-progress, and literally changing every day.

The truth is that I didn't have a dye-tube, and couldn't have sold one to R. Paul on Friday even if I'd been there - but at least I have the comfort of knowing that his new 'do looks FABULOUS!

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 24th, 2010, 4:46 am

Hugs and kisses, Lisa! Please send regards to Bill.

Matt Field

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 24th, 2010, 5:12 am

Dustin Stinett wrote:Lisa looks great in her sparkly dress

Lisa would look great in a bin liner.

(Dunno how you say that in America. The black bag one puts inside a trash can).

ScottSpencer

Postby ScottSpencer » January 26th, 2010, 6:06 pm

What terrible news it has closed and what good news that some safe haven has been found next door. I moved from LA to New Zealand last year but I spent many happy hours (and dollars) in Hollywood Magic. I learned a lot from Newell (The Doktor : ) and im glad he is still working next door. I hope the original store re-opens soon.

I feel so strongly about supporting the hometown shops I just ordered my Allan Ackerman Expert at the Card Table direct from Magic Apple to be shipped to me here instead of just ordering online. A simple Skype call and I know The Apple has another sale. They are another treasure of LA magic. Im glad they are doing well!

Cheers
Scott

PS This is my first post after lurking :) hello everyone!

PSS MrGoat LOL binliners, since I moved here I needed to learn not to ask for "trash bags." The little differences : )

LeeD

Postby LeeD » July 28th, 2011, 6:27 am

... myself and a few close friends (mike bailey, mari & lee) have been looking for janor for a long time on the internet.

If anyone knows how to contact her, please tell her that Lee from Durango Colorado is trying to get in touch. My email is nlduhon@gmail.com and I can be reached there at anytime..

Take care and thanks!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 28th, 2011, 8:23 am

LeeD wrote: My email is nlduhon@gmail.com and I can be reached there at anytime..

Interesting. Most email addresses doesn't work between the hours of 2am and 5am on Wednesdays. How do you get around that?

LeeD

Postby LeeD » July 28th, 2011, 11:36 am

... myself and a few close friends (mike bailey, mari & lee) have been looking for janor for a long time on the internet.

If anyone knows how to contact her, please tell her that Lee from Durango Colorado is trying to get in touch. My email is nlduhon@gmail.com and I can be reached there at anytime..

Take care and thanks!

Return to “Buzz”