Should Mark Lewis Stay or Go?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Should Mark Lewis Stay or Go?

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 22nd, 2010, 4:49 pm

You vote on whether I should allow Mark Lewis to continue to post here.

I have been told that some people are no longer posting here because Lewis is on this board. So, vote in the poll so I know what all of you would prefer.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mai-ling

Re: Should Mark Lewis Stay or Go?

Postby mai-ling » January 22nd, 2010, 5:14 pm

If people don't want to post because of Mark, then
that is their own choice. If Mark was way beyond
rude to the point of being offensive then I can see
taking action.

Mark can be annoying, but he also likes to show off
he knows a lot. That applies to anyone (including me).
Some of what he say's applies and some doesn't.

I don't think kicking off a forum because a few people
doesn't want to post here isn't a good reason.

That's their decision to not post.

You can learn to ignore people you don't care for.
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » January 22nd, 2010, 5:25 pm

I know it was mentioned in another thread, but it seems like this is a good place to repeat it as those who would be interested seem like they might find it here.

There is an "ignore" function on the forum that allows you to make the posts made by any user invisible to you when you log in. So you don't have to even see posts made by someone you don't want to read.

N.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » January 22nd, 2010, 5:55 pm

Mark Lewis is one of the major reasons I stop by here.

Please don't banish him from here. He'll just show up on the other magic boards then. At least, as it stands now, I know where to find him if needed and where to avoid him when I'm no mood for his nonsense.

Jager

Postby Jager » January 22nd, 2010, 6:00 pm

I can't believe so many people havent figured Mark out yet. He is completely harmless. My neighbor has a dog who barks every once in a while for attention. If I yell at him to shut up he gets more excited and barks even more. If I ignore him he soon quiets down and goes back to chewing on the fence post. He is actually a very nice dog who likes to play with people but my neighbors kids have all grown up and are never home any more.
Mark has allot to share here and I enjoy his baiting the more thin skinned people on this forum. I vote for Mark to stay.
Kelly Smith
Jager

DrDanny

Postby DrDanny » January 22nd, 2010, 6:02 pm

Yeah, I think it would be a big loss, myself. It's pretty easy to avoid his shtick when I'm not in the mood, but there are times when I enjoy him. Didn't I just read about an Ignore function?

Dave Beutler

Postby Dave Beutler » January 22nd, 2010, 6:21 pm

Without Mark Lewis the forums would be close to lifeless. If I want drab facts I'll open an almanac.

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » January 22nd, 2010, 6:25 pm

Many of Mark's observations on performance skills are right on the money - more so than 95% of members here. On the other hand he flounders when attempting to contribute to more nuanced discussions, but he's not alone there.

I vote he stays. His baiting is so obvious it's like punctuation. I don't even register or read it any more.

Doc

Postby Doc » January 22nd, 2010, 7:00 pm

I vote that he stays. Mark Lewis is one of my magic heroes and I love those great films that he made.
Especially the ones with Dean Martin.

Gary Kosnitzky
Favorite Magician: Vazhakunnam Neelakanthan Namboothiri

Postby Gary Kosnitzky » January 22nd, 2010, 7:49 pm

Genii Forum should feel honored and priviledged to have Mark Lewis contribute his thoughts to this forum.
He is as rude and offensive as that kid who said the emperor had no clothes.
Thumbs up for Lewis.

Mark Phillips
Favorite Magician: Mac King

Postby Mark Phillips » January 22nd, 2010, 7:57 pm

I think he should be required to post a video link just to give us all a little perspective.
Last edited by Mark Phillips on January 22nd, 2010, 8:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: too nasty

Randy Sager

Postby Randy Sager » January 22nd, 2010, 8:08 pm

I had a couple of run in's with Mark about ten years ago on one of the bulletin boards. I don't even remember what the problem was.

I have seen time periods here on the forum when Mark hasn't been allowed on at all. I think Richard knows better then anyone when it is or isn't time to send Mark to his room to think over what he has done and not let him out till he can behave himself.

Let him Stay.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 22nd, 2010, 8:15 pm

I'm doing a little cleaning up here ... let's keep it clean and above the belt, please.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 22nd, 2010, 8:16 pm

Mark Phillips wrote:I think he should be required to post a video link just to give us all a little perspective.

You were indeed "too nasty" but your editing is too late. Everybody can see in my last post what you said. Hack I may be but I can assure you that I am a very experienced hack. I have drawn more crowds in one year than you have done in your entire life. And I have drawn more crowds in my life that every single trade show "performer" put together.

There are only 3 videoclips available of me working. None of them show me drawing crowds. You will have to take my word for it. With regard to the others seek and ye shall find.

Mark Paulson

Postby Mark Paulson » January 22nd, 2010, 9:30 pm

Mark Lewis is a hoot. Let him stay.

Lee Almond

Postby Lee Almond » January 22nd, 2010, 9:47 pm

Mark is like a banny roster who loves to makes noise and swing whatever he thinks he has in his little cyberspace. Let the banny go find another place to crow. Peace ya all.
Lee

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 22nd, 2010, 10:13 pm

Lee Almond wrote:Mark is like a banny roster who loves to makes noise and swing whatever he thinks he has in his little cyberspace. Let the banny go find another place to crow. Peace ya all.
Lee

Changed your mind have you? I saw what you wrote before you edited it a few minutes ago. Ten minutes ago you said you were in favour of me. Worse than a bloody woman.

Check your palm. I bet you have two head lines. That always means that you chop and change your mind.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 22nd, 2010, 11:14 pm

I'm finding the whole thing fascinating.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » January 22nd, 2010, 11:45 pm

The kid who said the emeror has no clothes does not have an account here.

I voted he stay. Use the ignore feature and move on with your life.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 22nd, 2010, 11:53 pm

It's actually a larger problem--using the "Ignore" feature only makes a person's post invisible to you. It doesn't stop them from derailing threads and running them into the ground.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » January 23rd, 2010, 12:00 am

What time do the polls close?

Bob Coyne
Favorite Magician: Charlies [sic]

Postby Bob Coyne » January 23rd, 2010, 12:22 am

It seems to me that the energy and number of interesting/informative threads here have picked up since Mark has been back on. There might be a bit more noise from the people who don't play well with him (and vice versa), but overall I think he's a great asset to the forum and would hate to see him kicked off. I also like how he stuck up for Glenn Bishop when several people here were piling on. That was a sign of decency and integrity.

Al Hastings

Postby Al Hastings » January 23rd, 2010, 12:34 am

The bigger question should be: Why couldn't he be featured in an edition of genii?!

-A

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » January 23rd, 2010, 12:58 am

I have, on occasion found Mark's humor to get old, but when he chooses to be even semi-serious he's one of the best things on the board.

Weeks go by and the only thing I see on Genii are threads about people selling crap. If I see Mark's name on a thread, at least I know it will be worth stopping in...

James Munton

Postby James Munton » January 23rd, 2010, 1:19 am

I am outraged that this is even being discussed. I have returned to this forum for one important post. I would just like to add something before this thread gets yanked.

Mark Lewis is the mother I never had. Okay, I do have a real mother, but if I didn't, Mark would definitely be a most wonderful surrogate. For several years he has guided me both professionally and spiritually.

My entire hypnotism career is completely due to his wonderful instruction. The fact that it only lasted two shows is not his fault and it did result in an appearance on a National Geographic television show. The fact that the show was about alien abductions and not hypnosis as was first intended is also not his fault.

In addition to the hypnosis instruction, I have learned so much about the history and performance of magic from Mark. In an age of YouTube and Google, it is of great value to have a bridge to the past. How many magicians do you know who can say they actually met Robert-Houdin?

Yes, he can be argumentative and boisterous. But in the same way an Oxford don spars with his brightest pupils, pushing and pulling and groping around on the floor, sometimes in unseemly positions, it is always with the sole purpose of bringing out the very best from his protgs.

Mark Lewis cares deeply about magic and his passion can sometimes appear curmudgeonly. He can be especially ill-tempered after a long spell at a psychic fair. But that is because the only way he can heal others is by absorbing their pain. The man is practically a saint, for goodness sakes.

I disagree with Al. Mark Lewis should get the cover story.
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Jamie D. Grant

Postby Jamie D. Grant » January 23rd, 2010, 1:46 am

Hmmmmm. I'm very selective about where I post on the Genii forum but I think I might have something to contribute here.

I love Genii (I also love Magic Magazine, iTricks, and well, I guess I love a lot of things ~I'm a positive person, after all). I also think that Richard does an amazing job- running the magazine and this forum must be so much work that I am in awe.

So,in an effort to help, I offer the theory that the real question is not whether Mark Lewis should stay but rather, does Mark Lewis help, or hurt, Genii with regards to this forum?

Personally? I think he helps. I know I come back to read what he says because I get it (I hope, lol). Unfortunately, I can't speak for others. Do people stop posting or reading because he's here? I doubt it. Controversy always sells newspapers.

Perhaps another couple of good questions might be:

A) Why are the viewing numbers incorrect here on Genii~ I'm talking about when looking at the Genii Forum List and it says '46 viewing'. Readers want accuracy, I think, and this just doesn't give confidence to what people think they'll find here. Unless those numbers are true- then I absolutely apologize. If the numbers are accurate though, then why aren't those people posting? And that leads me to the next thought...

B) How can Richard get people back here, to write? After the Members Only trial, this board has never really seemed to recover. And I think that needs to be looked at. This board has some of the most amazing, intelligent, and thoughtful people in magic yet it just doesn't have the posting traffic. Something needs to change, and I don't think it's Mark Lewis...

We're all in this together,

jamie d. grant

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » January 23rd, 2010, 1:48 am

It is really upsetting me that my old friend Mark Lewis is getting a whole thread devoted to whether or not he should be banned. This Mark Lewis adoration will make his already enormous ego go straight through the roof!!

Having said that.........ofcourse he should stay. The man is brilliant, talented, witty, and sadly often misunderstood by so many who actually think he is being serious. If he goes, I go!(which I am sure will delight some!)Good to see Munton back. Here is another chap who has much to contribute on so many levels. Ofcourse, Munton must be ignored on his incorrect comments about Mark guiding him spiritully. I have tried to guide both Lewis and Munton in this department, but sadly it is still proving an uphill battle! JR
www.ComicMagician.com
www.Magician.US.com
www.BestAssemblies.com
www.SpiritualStage.com

David Oliver

Postby David Oliver » January 23rd, 2010, 2:02 am

I say, let him stay. After all, his "Cardiographic" effect has become a classic, ever since he performed it on his "Magic Land Of Allakazam" television show way back in... what?.... huh?... oh, nevermind. Let's just hope he fixes health care for the rest of us.
- DO

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » January 23rd, 2010, 3:38 am

Look back to snap illusion topic. Just wonder if the month of February will happen as he said. If he failed then he goes or if he's right then he stays. Just a thought. ::wink::

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 23rd, 2010, 4:45 am

There are lots of people in magic I find insufferable, and Mark Lewis is sometimes one of them. But he's knowledgeable,experienced in magic, stimulating, occasionally funny and one can easily skip the posts one wishes to skip. That does not mean he should be banned. He obviously wants to be on here, and I think he should be allowed to remain. Thumbs up!

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 23rd, 2010, 7:03 am

Mark's harmless (but he'll hate me for saying that). If you ignore him, there's no problem.

As for derailing threads, if you have him set to ignore, you won't know if the thread has gone off track, and can bring it back without trying.

I vote for stay.

Take care, Ian

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 23rd, 2010, 7:19 am

I am not sure whether to be pleased or irritated with Munton's endorsement. I am, however delighted to see him return here. We can continue to have pointless discussions concerning the merits of the Choo-Choo trick and the demerits of the Hot Book.

espermachine

Postby espermachine » January 23rd, 2010, 7:34 am

Stay. Mark Lewis is an institution...

Jim Sisti

Postby Jim Sisti » January 23rd, 2010, 8:45 am

espermachine wrote:Mark Lewis is an institution...

I was about to agree with this but then discovered I had read it incorrectly...

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 23rd, 2010, 8:57 am

I see that Sisti is trying to be funny. He is certainly trying.
As for the funny part may I point out that there is funny ha-ha and funny peculiar. I rather think he leans to the latter rather than the former.

Postby 000 » January 23rd, 2010, 9:34 am

Lewis 'ol boy, look on the bright side.
When one day you go the big BBQ in the sky, there will be an obituary. It will mention you as magicworld's foremost internet forum loiterer.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 23rd, 2010, 9:45 am

Scoff as much as you like, my boy, but perhpas you should look at the voting figures. Even American presidents only seem to win by around 53% of the vote. I have 71% at the time of posting. If the most powerful man in the world only gets 53% then I think I am doing rather well in comparison. So stuff that in your pipe and smoke it.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 23rd, 2010, 10:05 am

David Oliver wrote:I say, let him stay. After all, his "Cardiographic" effect has become a classic, ever since he performed it on his "Magic Land Of Allakazam" television show way back in... what?.... huh?... oh, nevermind. Let's just hope he fixes health care for the rest of us.

Not me old chap. You are thinking of Martin Lewis.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » January 23rd, 2010, 10:11 am

I vote stay.

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » January 23rd, 2010, 10:19 am

Did anyone besides me see Mark Lewis on BBC televisions's Crackerjack? He was almost as wellknown for that show in the UK as Mark Wilson was for his show in the US. At least, that is the impression I have always got from Mark. JR
www.ComicMagician.com

www.Magician.US.com

www.BestAssemblies.com

www.SpiritualStage.com

Return to “Buzz”