Question about ebay sales

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
traceyherbert

Question about ebay sales

Postby traceyherbert » January 12th, 2010, 12:37 pm

I have noticed that most of the magic book
on ebay are "buy it now".

It didn't used to be this way.

anyone know why?

Thanks, T

Ian Kendall

Re: Question about ebay sales

Postby Ian Kendall » January 12th, 2010, 12:51 pm

many ebay sales are 'sniped' at the last minute. This usually means that the selling price is relatively low, and often a lot lower than the seller had expected.

Using Buy it Now just means that the seller gets the price they want, without risk.

Take care, Ian

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » January 12th, 2010, 2:20 pm

By using Buy It Now, the risk is only 35 cents or less to list an item. When you add on reserves, items over 9.95, etc., the listing fees can really add up quickly.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

traceyherbert

Postby traceyherbert » January 12th, 2010, 2:56 pm

okay, that makes sense. I have not watched
any auctions about 2 years and i know they
changed the fee structure since then.

thank you for the input

Seuss

Postby Seuss » January 12th, 2010, 3:19 pm

In my experience quite a small percentage of magic volumes are buy it now (though more so than there used to be). most people seem to just start the auction at or near a price they are happy with.
Genii Lifetime Subscriber
Co-host Magic On the Side

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » January 12th, 2010, 4:24 pm

Maybe not. There are over 2,200 magic books on Ebay right now with BIN.
Please visit my website.

http://houdinihimself.com/

I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » January 12th, 2010, 4:49 pm

There are also a lot of new dealers using ebay to move their product.

If you click the "auctions only" tab, it will look exactly like it did a couple of years ago......with all books up for auction, going for whatever price the market dictates they're worth.

Personally, I click the "auction only" tab for anything I look at on ebay, only clicking the "show all" button after I've had a good look around at the legitimate auctions.

Matt R

Postby Matt R » January 17th, 2010, 10:22 am

I think this is because many people use an eBay store so the can get the price they want. The store offers low listing fees (and higher final value fees). I used to list everything at $0.99 but have found in today's economy, you often don't get what an item is worth with this strategy.

Rennie

Postby Rennie » January 17th, 2010, 12:22 pm

Ebay is trying its best to be like Amazon, which I never use as everything is a BIN.
The one thing on Ebay I never bid is on anything with a reserve set. My opinion on this is, tell us what you want to get for the item so we all don't have to play the bidding game to reach your reserve price, don't start something at $0.99 when you really want $150.00.
I have talked to various employees of Ebay, and had mentioned about the Amazon clone they are trying to become. Some agree with me, keep it auction style.
Unfortunately it is not for us poor peons to decide, the giants will do what they want, too bad!
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve is not !!

Terry

Postby Terry » January 18th, 2010, 10:27 am

Other issues with ebay:

1. Forcing sellers to accept paypal.
2. Fees to list your item.
3. Fees on final sale price.
4. Fees to use paypal which they force upon you.
5. Forcing you to quote a shipping fee. Without the knowledge of where the package is going, it forces sellers to post a high $ amount to cover themselves.

1. I list items with the minimal price I will accept.
2. I do not deal with bidders who email to offer the price if I pull the auction. It is on ebay to get the best price I can get.
3. I adjust the shipping after identifying the ship to address. The cost also includes any packaging material costs used to ship.
4. If a buyer doesn't like any of the above, don't bid and don't email me about it.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 18th, 2010, 10:38 am

I'm not aware of Paypal being a compulsory option. If you don't want to accept Paypal, say so when you are listing your item. For all its foibles, Paypal is still the most efficient way of transferring money over the interwebs.

Fees on sales is standard across any auction establishment, either real or virtual. If you truely think all auctions should be free set up a site and see how long it lasts.

Paypal only charge fees if you register as a professional seller (I seem to remember, I went through this years ago). If you want to accept credit cards, this is a requirement, but not essiential. Again, if you think paypal should be free, the idea of a business model might be strange.

You are not forced to quote a shipping cost, although it's not hard to work out. Mail to and from the YooEss and Europe is one cost, internally is another. Simply weigh your item and work out the costs before you list. It's not rocket science. Then, enter the different costs in your listing.

It seems you are trying to make things as hard as possible for your potential buyers. Lightening up a bit may improve your final sales.

Take care, Ian

Terry

Postby Terry » January 18th, 2010, 11:01 am

Ian,

That is your opinion and you're welcome to it. All the weighing etc. is not feasible because I am not running a business, but trying to clear out unused items. I have had auctions rejected by ebay for not wanting to list paypal as an option. They force you to use their payment service to collect additional fees.

The live auctions I attend charge buyers premiums to the purchaser and not the seller. This works well in real life.

Most ebay bidders want things done their way. If I choose to bid on an item, I am agreeing to the sellers terms and not contacting them with my opinion as to what is fair. Again, don't like it, don't bid on it.

Ebay is a business like any other, they are in the market to make a profit. No complaints there. BUT, when a business starts to gouge their customers, other opportunities will arise to meet the customers need and the gouger will see profits drop.

That, thankfully, is the free market model.

Mark F

Postby Mark F » January 18th, 2010, 11:19 am

Search "Merchant Account" or "Payflow" in the help section of eBay to find out how to set up other credit card payment options. eBay's only rule when it comes to payment is that you must have an internet credit payment option - and it needs use their Payflow process (which is free, I'm pretty sure). You don't have to use Paypal.

I don't have a business so its too costly for me to set up a credit card account. Paypal is the best and cheaptest way to go for me and still the best option for overseas payments - Paypal as far as I know is the only credit merchant who has established an overseas verification process. But for someone with a store or an established business you should be able to avoid Paypal.

And just some opinion... I can't see too many folks entering the eBay business model. I like seeing some stand alone auction and sales venues crop up but the number of people eBay can attract is tough to beat. Perhaps that's just for the lower level collectibles I sell?

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”