PROBottles by Christopher Lyle

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Christopher Lyle

PROBottles by Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » January 5th, 2010, 10:39 am

I'm looking to get a hand count here...

I have been working on producing a NEW SET of the classic Tricky Bottles for the last couple of years. I love the routine but I hate the props. I don't like the standard brown beer bottle looking bottle that says Grant's Black Cherry Soda on it, nor do I like how all of the tubes for the differnt sets look. They just scream "ugly." I have also wanted something that looked very upscale that could be used in a Corporate Setting.

I also am not a fan of the Bowling Pin setup nor the ketchup and mustard bottles, blah, blah, blah....

The best set I ever saw were made by MAK Magic (I think?) and they used wine bottles that were painted a bright green. However, the paint would chip and quickly the bottles looked very poor.

I ran into several stumps in my journey down this path, but am now ready to begin producing my set of bottles.

When I set out on this project, I told myself that I wanted to produce the nicest set of Tricky Bottles EVER MADE! I want my set to be elegant...something that the serious performer would be happy to own. The WOLF MAGIC or Brett Sherwood of Tricky Bottles.

I am calling them PROBottles by Christopher Lyle.

My set will be elegant Champagne Bottles. That's right, an actual Champagne Bottle. No more painted surfaces that will chip. Real glass, no paint!

The bottles will also feature an Internationally recognizable brand name by one of the worlds top Champagne distributor's, hand crafted tubes that will feature and understated elegance that will not overpower the bottles. No cheesy pictures or lettering on the bottles...something very simple and beautiful.

The gimmick would be the same as in most all sets with a few exceptions...I'm looking into having them produced made of GLASS...so they would match the bottle exactly. But my fear is if their made of glass, they may be easily broken, so a polished steal or other metal might be used. Perhaps even going with Lexan for the gimmick to insure scratches won't occur to the bottles or tube. That part is still up in the air.

I would also provide 2 hand made drawstring bags that would carry and protect the props for a lifetime of use.

Here's the rub...I would only make these in a a Limited Edition Set. When they're gone, they're gone! I would either make a 30 run set or a 50 run set (not sure yet) with an estimated retail of about $300.00 - $350.00.

I would like to get a head count on what the interest would be in owning a set like this.

Thanks in Advance,

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
www.lylemagic.com
Columnist - The Magic Menu

David Garrity

Re: PROBottles by Christopher Lyle

Postby David Garrity » January 5th, 2010, 9:09 pm

Hi Christopher,

It sounds like you are working on producing a great set of Tricky Bottles.

The one major problem that should be solved before your set is produced is coming up with an ending to the routine. This is very often the problem with most Trick Bottle routines I have seen over the years is that there is no ending or climax to the effect. Otherwise, the routine has always seemed to be more of a running gag.

What do you think?

Sincerely,
David
David Garrity
www.MagicalArtist.com

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » January 5th, 2010, 9:59 pm

David,

I hear what your saying loud and clear and I agree with you that the Tricky Bottle routine is one of those (like 6 Card) that lacks any ending...in MOST cases.

But to clairify...

I am NOT selling a Tricky Bottles ROUTINE...I'm selling the PROPS ONLY. The buyer/performer would need to supply their own routine. I will have the standard basic instrutions on how to operate the props along with the standard basic routine.

With that said, I will plug the routine I use as I believe it to be the absolute BEST routine on the planet for this...at least that I have seen.

I perform "RICKY BOTTLES" by Rick Bronson. If you can find a set of his notes that they appear in, LEARN IT! It solves many issues that are inherent in the basic Tricky Bottle Routine...and it DOES have a killer climax ending that really does sell the routine.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » January 6th, 2010, 4:03 pm

If anyone is interested in purchasing Rick's notes, here's a link:

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/7-by-rick ... -p-76.html

There are LOTS of good ideas in here...including a wonderful presentation for a Needle thru Balloon routine that doesn't quite go as planned? Not for the squeemish!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

David Garrity

Postby David Garrity » January 8th, 2010, 7:56 pm

Christopher,

Thanks for the link to the notes!

I just thought I would suggest that if you are taking the time to put together such a nice set of bottles that creating a climax or putting together a booklet (with permission, of course) of routines that address the issue of the trick not having a great ending.

I have always loved the Tricky Bottles, but never worked with it as I had never found a routine with a suitable climax. I will pick up a copy of Rick's notes to check out the work on the routine. Thanks again for that link!

Sincerely,
David
David Garrity
www.MagicalArtist.com

Michael Kent

Postby Michael Kent » March 6th, 2010, 6:47 am

I probably wouldn't want them if they were glass. Even in a padded ATA, glass props make me nervous on the road (accidents happen). Another consideration is that glass is much heavier than aluminum, making it more travel-unfriendly.

But it sounds like a good project nonetheless. I'm sure some people will be interested.
--
Michael Kent

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 6th, 2010, 7:11 pm

Shawn Farquhar did a routine at WMS with plain ungimmicked bottles that ROCKED... AWESOME
Stay tooned.

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » March 6th, 2010, 8:09 pm

Indeed he did Pete. What a brilliant well thought out routine. I very much enjoyed that...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

Kamal

Postby Kamal » May 21st, 2010, 8:39 pm

Maybe I missed it, but are these available yet?

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”