Who’s Left?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Who’s Left?

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 1st, 2010, 9:12 pm

One of the more interesting comments made on the terrific (though Dustin-tainted*) Decade Wrap-Up edition of Dodd Vickers This Week in Magic was our own Chief Geniis comment about the decline of quality DVD releases. This got me to thinking, Why is that?

Besides burgeoning technologyspecifically instant downloadsone of things I was thinking is, Whos left?

Whos material would I want to see on DVD?

My first thought was Mike Caveney, though I know he is working on a comprehensive book, which I would rather see (and hopefully he has a section on being an emcee for, in my opinion, he is the best in the business). But he is certainly a candidate for a DVD set.

Tom Ogden has excellent close-up, parlor, stage, and emcee material as well, and has some excellent thoughts about being funny while still doing good magic.

I think Michael Weber could put out an extensive collection of magic and mentalism.

Ill even say Ricky Jay for everyone who is crazy enough to think that Ricky Jay would ever even consider doing such a thing. (HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!)

So I would like to pose that question to you.

Whos left?

Dustin

*My favorite moment: Im sorry, who was that? My 15-minutes are still intact!!!

Bill McFadden

Re: Who’s Left?

Postby Bill McFadden » January 1st, 2010, 9:17 pm

John Carney (who is a god) and John Thompson (who's pretty close).

Happy new year, Genii Forum!

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 1st, 2010, 9:27 pm

Both have quite a bit of material out on video/DVD.

I'm talking about those who do not.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » January 2nd, 2010, 1:18 am

How about Howard Schwarzman? Between stories and magic he could put out a mega set. We were telling him at one point to get his stories and memories on tape.

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » January 2nd, 2010, 1:32 am

I'd love to see Tom Craven do a dvd...especially doing his Harry Lorayne impersonation.

Paul Gordon
Secure Online Magic Shop: https://www.paulgordon.net/shop

Roberto

Postby Roberto » January 2nd, 2010, 3:07 am

I would love to see videos by Ricky Jay, Jerry Sadowitz, Bill Kalush, and Tom Ogden!

Roberto

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » January 2nd, 2010, 5:44 am

There ARE Sadowitz videos already available. PG

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 2nd, 2010, 6:48 am

Paul Gordon wrote:There ARE Sadowitz videos already available. PG

Can you link to where these can be bought please (assuming you are talking about his magic, and not his stand up comedy)?

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 2nd, 2010, 7:09 am

Jerry brought out two teaching videos, one aimed at the general public, and one with his very technical stuff on. He withdrew the technical one after selling a couple of dozen tapes and has never reissued it, citing poor produiction quality.

He told me there is no plan to reissue it.

Take care, Ian

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 2nd, 2010, 7:37 am

Ian Kendall wrote:Jerry brought out two teaching videos, one aimed at the general public, and one with his very technical stuff on. He withdrew the technical one after selling a couple of dozen tapes and has never reissued it, citing poor produiction quality.

Take care, Ian

Oh, so Paul Gordon was wrong then.

Thanks for clearing that up.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 2nd, 2010, 7:48 am

Steve Freeman, Chuck Smith, Roy Walton

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » January 2nd, 2010, 8:17 am

mrgoat wrote:
Ian Kendall wrote:Jerry brought out two teaching videos, one aimed at the general public, and one with his very technical stuff on. He withdrew the technical one after selling a couple of dozen tapes and has never reissued it, citing poor produiction quality.

Take care, Ian

Oh, so Paul Gordon was wrong then.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm NOT wrong. I have TWO Sadowitz videos. One easy card tricks, and the other more advanced...the rare one. The (easy) one for the public is still available...

JordanB

Postby JordanB » January 2nd, 2010, 9:28 am

I'll second erdnasephile. Steve Freeman, Chuck Smith, Roy Walton

and add

Gary Plants.

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » January 2nd, 2010, 10:03 am

Furthur to my last post: See http://www.amazon.co.uk/Card-Tricks-Mad ... B0007X9TAM Image

So Damian Jennings was wrong then.

Paul Gordon

Terrence

Postby Terrence » January 2nd, 2010, 10:17 am

Although there are VHS tapes of Jim Lewis, I'd love to see them go to DVD.

And another vote for Chuck Smith!

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » January 2nd, 2010, 1:12 pm

Sorry, Dustin and guys; I answered the question on a knee-jerk impulse without comprehending the question.

I'd certainly endorse any of the artists mentioned in this thread, plus a few others: Don England, Bob Bengel, Ron Wohl, Brad Henderson, Harvey Rosenthal, and even though it's probably too late, Mr. Harry Riser.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 2nd, 2010, 6:42 pm

Ditto for Riser. How about Allen Okawa?

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 2nd, 2010, 7:00 pm

erdnasephile wrote:How about Allen Okawa?

Now there's a name I've not heard in a long while. Is Mr. Okawa still active in magic?

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » January 2nd, 2010, 7:13 pm

erdnasephile wrote:How about Allen Okawa?

Judging by everything I've heard about him, I'd be very interested.

Also, I'm surprised no one's mentioned David Ben yet.

And Eric Mead.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » January 2nd, 2010, 7:43 pm

Steve Freeman,
and even more unlikely than Ricky Jay, Persi Diaconis.

JordanB

Postby JordanB » January 2nd, 2010, 9:32 pm

A while back it was rumored that there was going to be a set of Chuck Smith DVD's coming out, but I've heard that the project has been either delayed or cancelled. It's a shame because he is one of the nicest and funniest people in magic that I've met. One of the best nights I've had involved going to dinner with Norman Beck, Chuck Smith, David Malek, and Jared Kopf. We were certainly a motley crue.

Another person that I would love to see on DVD or hell, just interviewed in Genii is Pressley Guitar. He has some excellent magic....very, very, very good with coins. He is also just an interesting guy. In his youth he actually tamed lions and used to have a pet lion he'd take around Abilene with him...Literally, just drive around in the back of his car with it. Hell of a great guy.

Roberto

Postby Roberto » January 2nd, 2010, 11:25 pm

Paul,
I've seen that video of Jerry Sadowitz teaching easy card magic for the public. I would hardly count that as an instructional video on his card magic. That other video of him doing the technical stuff, I had no idea that existed. Sure would love to see it!

Yes, I too would also like to see a DVD by Freeman. And how could I leave out, Roy Walton?!!!

Roberto

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 3rd, 2010, 1:05 am

I'd like to see a DVD of Sadowitz just conversing like an ordinary person. Without all the yelling, screaming, taking out his censored, and so on, and also without the usual social interaction with Jerry which elicites nothing more than a grunt while he looks at your feet.

Mr. Mainstream-Showbiz has got to be alive in there somewhere. After all, his dad is a used-car salesman in New Jersey ... there's got to be a little razzmatazz somewhere inside Jerry.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » January 3rd, 2010, 1:28 am

I'd like to see Bob White release a DVD of card effects. And the icing on the cake, a hardcover book.

I agree it'd be nice to see Chuck Smith on DVD. I'd also like to see a HC book by Steve Freeman. And also a book on the terrific Bernard Bilis.

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » January 3rd, 2010, 5:23 am

Roberto wrote:That other video of him doing the technical stuff, I had no idea that existed. Sure would love to see it!

You can see the TOC on this older EBAY AUCTION.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 3rd, 2010, 6:38 am

I find it most remarkable that the greatest of them all has not yet been mentioned on this thread. For a mere $50 you can see MARK LEWIS perform close up magic on DVD. It is a bonus section of a much longer psychic DVD called "Psychic Dimensions". This is a recording of a television programme where I do live readings on the air to phone-in callers. This psychic section is around one hour long. However, as a bonus, I have included a 20 minute segment of me doing close up magic from many, many, many, years ago when I was young and hairy.

I am no longer young and the hair has long since disappeared. It was a formal close up show which I don't do very often. The segment does not show me at my best since I only had about three people in the audience and my helper was not the most reactive of spectators as sometimes happens in the real world. It isn't bad, though.

Still, it is the only thing available of me doing close up magic on DVD. I accept Paypal and will pay the postage since I am full of the milk of human kindness. Let me know if you are interested.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 3rd, 2010, 8:28 am

Paul Gordon wrote:Furthur to my last post: See http://www.amazon.co.uk/Card-Tricks-Mad ... B0007X9TAM Image

So Damian Jennings was wrong then.

Paul Gordon

Sorry Gordon, I didn't think even you'd be so silly as to count ONE COPY, second hand of his layperson's intro to magic.

You are desperate to point score. If you want to count that as you being right, knock yourself out.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 3rd, 2010, 8:30 am

Roberto wrote:Paul,
I've seen that video of Jerry Sadowitz teaching easy card magic for the public. I would hardly count that as an instructional video on his card magic.

No one would Roberto. Also, when you look, there is only one copy available, which is second hand! And also 70 GBP! (150 USD).

But heck, I called him wrong, so he took issue with that and desperately tried to prove himself not wrong.

He failed.

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » January 3rd, 2010, 8:43 am

The "public" video (Card Tricks Made Easy) is/was widely available. Why would goat think there was/is only one copy? It's a very good video/dvd (great content) and better than ANY of the Royal Road dvds out there... PG

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 3rd, 2010, 8:48 am

Ernest Earick.

I've been trying to get Roy Walton to do a video project for ten years.

Slydini. (Another failed attempt for even longer!)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 3rd, 2010, 9:05 am

Paul Gordon wrote:The "public" video (Card Tricks Made Easy) was widely available.

Is it possible to discuss anything logically with you without you getting on some point-scoring tip Paul or are you just trying to derail the thread? You posted saying Sadowitz' magic DVDs are available. They aren't. Accept it and move on.

a) Yes, I am sure it was available. However, it isn't now. No one is disputing the fact it was on sale and available when it was launched. Now, it is hard to get. Please post links where you can buy it new.

b) It is a beginner level DVD. I imagine most people here are above that and would be interested in Jerry's technical work. I am very glad you get stuff out of it though and think it's good.

As I said, do feel free to count this second-hand layperson level DVD as you being correct if it makes you feel better. Really.

I concede. You are right, about this and everything.

There, let's get the thread back on course as no one is interested in this.

I would love to see an Eric Mead video too as someone mentioned. I have seen him at the Castle a few times and he was wonderful. His book was great.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 3rd, 2010, 9:08 am

Matthew Field wrote:Ernest Earick.

I've been trying to get Roy Walton to do a video project for ten years.

Slydini. (Another failed attempt for even longer!)

I've never met Mr Walton, but would any kind of petition help you Mr Field?

I know many of my magic friends would love a Walton DVD and pay handsomely for one too...

Is there anything the community at large can do to help you try and persuade him?

SteveP

Postby SteveP » January 3rd, 2010, 9:23 am

JordanB wrote:A while back it was rumored that there was going to be a set of Chuck Smith DVD's coming out, but I've heard that the project has been either delayed or cancelled.

You're correct. L&L was supposed to do a Chuck Smith DVD set. They were going to shoot it where Chuck is(New Mexico I think?), but it was canceled because of health problems. This happened 2 or 3 summers ago.

"Who's left" is THE question for companies producing DVD. I know that the L&L shooting schedule has diminished a bit over the past couple of years because of that exact question.

There are two factors - who's left is the first and the second is are those who are left going to produce a financially successful product?

Another issue is that some of these guys just don't want to do it. They're either very happy to keep their material for themselves or they don't like the way magic is represented on these DVDs and don't feel it will be an accurate representation of their work.

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » January 3rd, 2010, 9:26 am

There have been, over the years, quite a few "dodgy" filmings of various "names" in magic. For example, I've been a member of The Sussex Magic Circle since 1976. In the early days, one of the members (now deceased) filmed many of the lectures for so-called "private viewing." (I believe he asked permission because he couldn't have hidden a 16mm camera in the clubroom!) I saw some of them (years ago) and the content is extraordinary. As most of the performers are now dead (Bob Read being a memorable one and Francis Haxton, too), I wonder if they could be legally reproduced onto dvd. It'd be a shame for them to end up in a skip!

There must be others out there...(I know of a prominant TMC member who has a bundle of rare home-recorded films from the 1950's...they too contains gems.)

PG

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 3rd, 2010, 9:26 am

Steve Pellegrino wrote:
There are two factors - who's left is the first and the second is are those who are left going to produce a financially successful product?

Another issue is that some of these guys just don't want to do it. They're either very happy to keep their material for themselves or they don't like the way magic is represented on these DVDs and don't feel it will be an accurate representation of their work.

Do you really get people telling YOU that they don't think the magic will be well represented on an L&L DVD?

That is staggering!

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » January 3rd, 2010, 9:35 am

L&L Dvds would be good if they didn't have the same kow-towing audience. I'm sure that "John" is a nice guy, but his o-t-t attention-seeking antics often over-shadow the performer. But, I guess he's encouraged because it enlivens the shoot. PG

SteveP

Postby SteveP » January 3rd, 2010, 9:41 am

mrgoat wrote:
Steve Pellegrino wrote:

Do you really get people telling YOU that they don't think the magic will be well represented on an L&L DVD?

That is staggering!

It's not a factor of whether or not you like L&L's videos or the magician in question does or doesn't. It's the idea in general and I'll give you an example.

Several years ago I recommended a well known magician to L&L. Louis contacted him and this guy declined. He declined because a friend of his, also a name you would all recognize, now deceased, had done a video with another producer several years earlier and he didn't think it was an accurate representation of that person's work. So he has decided not to do a video project with anyone.

Say what you will about L&L, but the best names are with L&L and keep coming back to L&L. Has every DVD set been a hit? Absolutely not, but some of these guys would never have done a project like this if it weren't for L&L Publishing.

SteveP

Postby SteveP » January 3rd, 2010, 9:46 am

Paul Gordon wrote:L&L Dvds would be good if they didn't have the same kow-towing audience. I'm sure that "John" is a nice guy, but his o-t-t attention-seeking antics often over-shadow the performer. But, I guess he's encouraged because it enlivens the shoot. PG

Jeez - here we go again. First of all "John" hasn't been to an L&L shoot in several years. He hasn't been on a new release in several years. In fact most of the usual people that you guys like to make fun of haven't been on in several years. Get over it already!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 3rd, 2010, 11:09 am

Steve, you know that L&L shoots things and then sits on them for years. So, "John" may well still be in DVDs that L&L has yet to release. Or DVDs that have been released in the past year. Just because he hasn't been to an L&L shoot in several years, doesn't mean he's not going to show up on an L&L DVD in the future.

Second, DVDs are always "in the present," and whenever you watch one, it seems like "now." Thus the behavior of the audiences is always present in the "now" when anyone watches one of these DVDS. If someone finds "John" a distraction on the initial viewing, that probably isn't going to change over time. L&L shot a lot of videos with a mix of the same audience members.

So, for the people to whom this is a distraction, you guys are going to have to listen to those complaints for a long time.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

JordanB

Postby JordanB » January 3rd, 2010, 11:18 am

In the more recent DVD's I've owned from L&L the audience seems to be less of a distraction. To be honest though it never really bothered me that much to begin with. I thought the Malone meets Marlo DVD's were fantastic.

Shame to hear about the Chuck Smith set. I had assumed it had to do with his health, but wasn't sure. I've only gotten to see Chuck once, but he has some great material.

Nathan...Bob White has a card DVD that should be coming out in the first half of this year. It has some good stuff on it.

Return to “General”