Sick by Ponta the Smith

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Efendi Kwok

Sick by Ponta the Smith

Postby Efendi Kwok » December 24th, 2009, 11:44 pm

Finally the guy will put up a DVD soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u_5834RGo
Too much browsing, too much reading, too much learning, yet NOT MUCH practice ! *sigh*

Tom Gilbert

Re: Sick by Ponta the Smith

Postby Tom Gilbert » December 25th, 2009, 8:27 am

That should be interesting....

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 25th, 2009, 1:25 pm

And 0.03% of people that buy it will be good enough to do any of that, or have the patience and dedication to learn.

KirkG

Postby KirkG » December 26th, 2009, 2:23 am

I am willing to give it a try!

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » December 27th, 2009, 8:37 am

It was stated at the Green Place that the dvd would be released in the US in about a month. There's no verbal instruction, so translation won't be an issue. While I have no doubt it would be well beyond my skill level, I'll still pick it up.

Efendi Kwok

Postby Efendi Kwok » December 28th, 2009, 9:42 pm

Got this from somewhere else:

I contacted the dealer and was told that the DVD will be released world wide next month. According the mail, apparently the tutorial will be filmed in a style similar to David Stone's Real Secrets of Magic Vol1. Demo with minimal talking and some English subtitles.

First of all, this DVD is only on sale in Japan at the moment.

This DVD will do one of two things (other then blow your freaking mind away). This DVD will either strengthen your love for coin magic, or create in you a newly found desire to master coins.

Ponta the Smith is a magician from Osaka Japan, and in this DVD, he takes you through his handlings of some of the best coin routines around.

Trick included: Spellbound, One Coin Routine, Tenkai Pennies, 3 Coins Across, Vanish, 3 Fly, Winged Silver, Matrix, Backfire Matrix, Quick Matrix, Backfire Assembly.

Teaching: The teaching is done silently with only a few little comments in text on the screen. This DVD assumes you are already an intermediate coin user and is not for the feint of heart, as some of the sleights are extremely challenging. He demonstrates each routine at normal speed from the front and the back, and takes you through each phase slowly from a behind point of view. Although at some points you may want some vocal instruction, as it is a coin DVD, the visuals are more than enough.

Difficulty: Yeah... you will have your hands full with this one (muhahaha, funny pun). This is not a "practice for 1 hour and you got it" DVD. Although, strive to be as smooth as Ponta the Smith, and it will keep you motivated no doubt.

Overall: This DVD will provide you with enough material to practice for years, and once you are able to adequately master of some these routines, you will be set with practical routines that can be done in various types of shows/ gigs/ etc...
Too much browsing, too much reading, too much learning, yet NOT MUCH practice ! *sigh*

Joe Hadsall

Postby Joe Hadsall » January 7th, 2010, 10:29 am

I also read this somewhere:

"We all love playing cards, and the eye-catching, visual miracles you can do with them. But Ponta the Smith and Ellusionist would like to remind you that coin magic can be even more miraculous.

Coming soon to Ellusionist: A DVD full of mind-blowing coin magic. 11 new non-gaffed coin routines. New handlings for familiar coin plots. Sick by Ponta the Smith will make you remember how incredible coin magic can be.

Coming in January"

But it was probably written by that Ellusionist hypemonkey who never contributes anything of else of value. I can tell you why that is: His diagonal palm shift is TERRIBLE.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." ~Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » January 7th, 2010, 1:11 pm

My only ojection is that his actions just don't look natural. Which makes it feel more like a puzzle than magic. You can tell he's doing something and it leads you to try and catch him...
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 7th, 2010, 4:36 pm

The demo video looks impressive. The Kata is crisp. Not sure the mechanics will flow for those are neither abrupt nor crunchy.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 7th, 2010, 4:37 pm

The demo video looks impressive. The Kata is crisp. Not sure the mechanics will flow for those who are neither abrupt nor speedy.

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Postby BlueEyed Videot » January 7th, 2010, 11:36 pm

The demo video looks impressive. The Kata is crunchy. Not sure the mechanics will flow for those who are neither abrupt nor crisp.

Joe Hadsall

Postby Joe Hadsall » January 21st, 2010, 11:17 am

Heads up, folks: Sick by Ponta the Smith sold out faster than any of us anticipated. We have another large shipment on reorder and expect them in about a week. We'll let you know when they arrive.

We apologize for any inconveniences, and for those of you who got it, thank you!
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." ~Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 21st, 2010, 12:39 pm

Joe Hadsall wrote:Heads up, folks: Sick by Ponta the Smith sold out faster than any of us anticipated. We have another large shipment on reorder and expect them in about a week. We'll let you know when they arrive.

We apologize for any inconveniences, and for those of you who got it, thank you!

If you pay Richard, I am sure he will sell you a banner if you want to advertise.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 21st, 2010, 12:42 pm

Those little boxes on the right side are only $25 a month. :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Joe Hadsall

Postby Joe Hadsall » January 21st, 2010, 1:16 pm

My apologies if I wasn't in the spirit of the TOS, Richard. I had my information hat on, not my hype hat. :)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 21st, 2010, 1:54 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Those little boxes on the right side are only $25 a month. :)

Good god that's cheap. That's so cheap. Wow.

I pay $1500 a month to put a banner on one board in my industry.

I mean, I'm not stupid, I realise different ad mediums can command different rates, but $25 seems a steal to me!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 21st, 2010, 3:00 pm

It is cheap, but you'll notice that we are not overrun with people taking advantage of how incredibly inexpensive it is! The rotating banner at the top only costs $50 a month. Beats me why more people aren't spending such a small amount of money to reach so many eyeballs.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » January 21st, 2010, 6:33 pm

At those prices, RK, I'm thinking of buying one that says, "Gladys Glover".

Dan LeFay

Postby Dan LeFay » January 23rd, 2010, 9:16 am

Brandon Hall wrote:My only ojection is that his actions just don't look natural. Which makes it feel more like a puzzle than magic. You can tell he's doing something and it leads you to try and catch him...

What a remarkable opinion. You make me wonder...
Can you give an example of a performer (preferably with youtube style clip) who's actions you DO find looking natural?

Personally I would love to see this Ponta guy live!

kevin fortin

Postby kevin fortin » January 27th, 2010, 8:55 pm

I think I'll buy this just for the performances. It doesn't matter if I can't do it -- only that *someone* can do it. Visual beauty. Maybe I will also learn something, even if obliquely.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 28th, 2010, 10:19 am

Dan LeFay wrote:
Brandon Hall wrote:My only ojection is that his actions just don't look natural. Which makes it feel more like a puzzle than magic. You can tell he's doing something and it leads you to try and catch him...

What a remarkable opinion. You make me wonder......

IMHO it's good to wonder. When the methods call for "it's tricky" by RUN DMC as soundtrack ... twitcy, very twitcy.

IMHO the skill is hiding the skillz.

Return to “Buzz”