Magic shops in Phoenix/Sedona, AZ?

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.
Mark Ratekin
Favorite Magician: Harry Anderson

Magic shops in Phoenix/Sedona, AZ?

Postby Mark Ratekin » April 21st, 2007, 2:41 pm

Greetings, all -

I'm a longtime lurker, first time poster. I'm going to be in Sedona/Phoenix this week on business and may have some down time. Can anyone advise me if there are any magic shops in the vicinity?

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks -

Mark

James Kernen

Re: Magic shops in Phoenix/Sedona, AZ?

Postby James Kernen » April 21st, 2007, 4:22 pm

Mark-

The only "all" Magic Shop in Phoenix (actually Scottsdale) is Presto Magic Studio, which is owned by Barry Schor. Barry is great to deal with and specializes in a lot of used and collectible magic.

Here is his website: http://www.prestomagicstudio.com

His store is closed on Sundays and Mondays. I have known Barry since I started Magic back in High School 20 years ago, and he has been a good friend and resource.

Easley's Fun Shop specializes in costumes and other party supplies, but has a section in the store for Magic. I have not been in there for at least 5-6 years since it wasn't enough to justify the trip.

There used to be another magic shop in northwest Phoenix, but it closed about a year ago.

Finally, if you are going down to Tucson (a 2 hour drive south of Phoenix), I would suggest a visit Williams Magic Shop. I have not been there since my college days (since I was a Wildcat), but it is the only shop in Tucson.

James

Mark Ratekin

Postby Mark Ratekin » April 23rd, 2007, 6:51 am

Hi, James -

Thanks for your response. As I was driving into Sedona, I happened upon a fun shop that had a small section devoted to magic. Mostly standard stuff (Hummer card, nickels to dimes, etc.), but a nice guy behind the counter.

I'll try to check out the shop in Phoenix. Thanks again for your help.

Mark

Postby Guest » April 26th, 2007, 1:55 pm

Williams Magic Shop in Tucson is, in my opinion, one of the best in the country...

Hell of a good selection of everything, plus refreshments, big screen tv playing old magic specials from TV, extremely friendly people, magicians' hang out room, etc.

Highly recommended if you can get down that far south.

Mark Ratekin

Postby Mark Ratekin » April 26th, 2007, 4:17 pm

A quick follow-up - I spent a good chunk of time today at Barry's shop, and it was a real treat! His shop has a good mix of new, used, old and rare, and he has several big illusions for sale as well. Combine that with the fact that Barry is a really nice guy, and you've got a winning combination.

If I get back to Phoenix again, I'll definitely drop in to this shop again. If I get to Tucson, I'll check out Williams' as well - the photos on their website show a really cool-looking shop.

Thanks again for the guidance!

Mark

James Kernen

Postby James Kernen » April 26th, 2007, 5:08 pm

I'll be at Barry's shop tomorrow afternoon... I am glad you made it there..

James

flynn

Postby flynn » March 15th, 2008, 6:38 pm

What i like about barry is he's old school type. What i mean by that is he wont let the average joe in on everything till he knows that you know "what" your doing. Which is all good for me because phoenix and arizona dont have much to offer as far as magicians and places where magic is performed. People out here dont hardly ever see magic being performed in person so I kill with basic stuff like disappearin hanks, princess cards, basic coin vanishes and others. Dr dalys last trick is one of my faves cause most if not all out here havet seen that trick performed. Card thru hankey also which i always have ready to go. But anyways bary also knows and has met many legends in the game.

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » December 6th, 2009, 8:13 pm

Interesting for me to find this old thread. I have actually just bought a second home in Sedona, Arizona, as the population of this magical town and it's vicinity seem to be in need of good entertainment. I have discovered there are two small magic shops in this lovely Northern Arizona town. Did you know that Sedona is considered the most beautiful town in America by the tourist board, and is in the top ten most beautiful towns on the planet? JR

www.ComicMagician.com
www.Magician.US.com
www.BestAssemblies.com
www.SpiritualStage.com

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » December 8th, 2009, 12:30 am

JR, I couldn't see a magic shop.

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”