A Good Cause...

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Christopher Lyle

A Good Cause...

Postby Christopher Lyle » December 3rd, 2009, 2:44 pm

I am in need of everyone's assistance...

About a year and a half ago, I began to mentor a young man who has become quite proficient with Magic. He's a super talented 14 year old kid who's got better chops than most pros that are out there in the field today.

About a week ago, I learned something that really saddend me. This young man has not received a Christmas or Birthday Present in the last several years as his family cannot afford to provide him with such.

They pretty much live hand to mouth and it's hard enough for them to be able to pay their bills. Basically...they can get presents for Christmas...or they can eat. Very sad indeed...

I have decided to try and provide this deserving young man with a Christmas this year...my own little "angel" if you will...but I cannot do it alone. I am accepting donations to provide this young man with the best Christmas he has ever seen. I have a few folks who have already sent me a few bucks to put towards this cause as well, but more funds are needed.

Anything that you can spare...$5, $20, $100...whatever! I figure if I can raise a few hundred dollars, I can get this young man a really great Christmas this year.

All donations can be sent to me via www.paypal.com to lylemagic@aol.com

Thanks in Advance...and Merry Christmas to all.

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
www.lylemagic.com
Columnist - The Magic Menu

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: A Good Cause...

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 3rd, 2009, 3:43 pm

Would he like a few books?
Send me an e-mail at moobooks@verizon.net
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » December 3rd, 2009, 3:56 pm

I've received many emails from folks who are not able to donate money but are able to donate used magic to the cause...which would be GREAT! If you have some old magic that is still in "performance condition" please contact me privately.

Thanks again...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » December 3rd, 2009, 4:29 pm

Not that I am a sceptical type of course but how do we know he is real? Some people are as iffy as I am.

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » December 3rd, 2009, 4:41 pm

Mark,

You have to go out on a limb and actually trust me. Do you really think that I would try and scam my fellow magicians?

If you don't wish to help out then don't. But if you want to help give a good kid a great Christmas by donating a few bucks, then go out on a limb and take a chance. He would greatly appreciate it.

If everyone would donate just $5 then that would be awesome!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » December 4th, 2009, 12:40 am

No Christopher I don't think you would try and scam your fellow magicians but I asked a legitimate question. If what you say is genuine then I think what you are doing is highly commendable. All I am saying is that you should provide more proof. You are after all asking people for money with no evidence whatever as to where it is going.

There seem to be threads all the time on here about people who have sent money into the unknown and regretted it later.

As someone once said, "Trust everybody but cut the cards" or as I think Ronald Reagan said, Trust but verify"

In fact I am doing you a favour by raising doubt. If you can convince people of your sincerity then I expect more money will be forthcoming.

How you offer that proof is up to you. But offer it you should.

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » December 4th, 2009, 1:24 am

I have no way that I can offer proof to you Mark other than to say my word is my bond. The response has been grand thus far, so apparently the rest of the world isn't as untrusting as you are.

I will continue to protect this young man's privacy and identity. Not that it matters...I could say his name was Ben or Steve or Bill and that still wouldn't provide you with proof.

What would you have me do...?

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » December 4th, 2009, 1:38 am

I have no idea what you should do. That is entirely up to you. I believe you but you are asking a lot.You must remember that I have been around a lot of scam artists in my time. It colours my views on these matters. Anyway I wish you the best of luck with it. I think you are doing a wonderful thing. I just need to be convinced that everything is on the up and up.

A reasonable request I would have thought.

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » December 4th, 2009, 5:08 am

Dear Christopher,

As in Richard Kaufman's note - if he'd like a book or two, email me his postal address and I'll send him something from the UK.

Cheers, Paul Gordon
Secure Online Magic Shop: https://www.paulgordon.net/shop

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » December 4th, 2009, 9:57 am

PM Sent Paul...

Thanks...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

magicman1953

Postby magicman1953 » December 4th, 2009, 2:40 pm

Just had to drop my opinion ...I have traveled all across america and have to say the people of texas are the nicest I have met they will go out of their way for people they don't even know at the drop of a hat. At least the ones I ran into while I was there.

Yes Mark there are a lot of bad things going on today but not all are scams ....Tis the season

Christopher please pm me also with an address I would like to send a few things to make his day a little better

Scott B.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 4th, 2009, 3:15 pm

Maybe setting up a registered charity.

Maybe putting up a website where people could donate.

Maybe having a video clip of the kid opening a donated gift and being happy.

I agree that although that sentiment may well be lovely, in this day and age, sending a stranger money on the internet is something I would never do. Ever.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » December 4th, 2009, 3:20 pm

magicman1953 wrote:Just had to drop my opinion ...I have traveled all across america and have to say the people of texas are the nicest I have met

Yes and Texas has the highest rate of executions in the United States so I would venture to say that not everyone is quite so nice there including your last president.

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » December 4th, 2009, 3:35 pm

mrgoat wrote:Maybe setting up a registered charity.

Maybe putting up a website where people could donate.

Maybe having a video clip of the kid opening a donated gift and being happy.

I agree that although that sentiment may well be lovely, in this day and age, sending a stranger money on the internet is something I would never do. Ever.

If you feel uneasy with trusting your fellow magician by sending a monatary donation thru my PayPal account, then perhaps you could mail me something to give him on Christmas Eve? Any old books, dvds, magic, etc that you're no longer wanting that you could donate would be awesome!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

Jeff.Prace

Postby Jeff.Prace » December 5th, 2009, 12:54 am

Hey Christopher,

If he'd like a copy of my Gum DVD I'll happily send one over soon.

Magic Randy

Postby Magic Randy » December 5th, 2009, 4:14 pm

Christopher,

A box of stuff shipped today.

Randy

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » December 5th, 2009, 5:34 pm

Thanks Randi...

Jeff...I PMed you!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » December 6th, 2009, 12:52 am

Just posted a copy of Card Marvels...PG
Secure Online Magic Shop: https://www.paulgordon.net/shop

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » December 6th, 2009, 10:09 am

Paul,

You're the BEST! Thanks buddy...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » December 7th, 2009, 9:24 am

While this is a nice thing being done here I'd encourage all members of this board to also look into charities in there own back yard where there are families in the same situation.

Donate to your local food bank or check with your local Salvation Army and/or place of worship. There are families and kids who need food, clothing and the basic essentials to survive. If you dont have the money right now to donate you can always donate your time and/or gently used clothing. And please remember there are a lot of folks who need help all year round and not just at Christmas time.

Good luck with this effort.

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » December 7th, 2009, 1:47 pm

Tom...

You're absolutly correct. I guess it's easy for us all to forget about people going thru a rough time b/c you don't actually see it going on day to day.

However, with my young friend, I am seeing how hard he has it and it breaks my heart. Poor Kid!

Thanks to everyone thus far who has donated to the cause. If you're able to send money or used Magic, that would be awesome. Financial donations may be sent to me directly via PayPal to lylemagic@aol.com. If you wish to send goods, PM me for my address.

Thanks again to all...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

Jim Sisti

Postby Jim Sisti » December 7th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Christopher Lyle wrote:Tom...

You're absolutly correct. I guess it's easy for us all to forget about people going thru a rough time b/c you don't actually see it going on day to day.

However, with my young friend, I am seeing how hard he has it and it breaks my heart. Poor Kid!

Thanks to everyone thus far who has donated to the cause. If you're able to send money or used Magic, that would be awesome. Financial donations may be sent to me directly via PayPal to lylemagic@aol.com. If you wish to send goods, PM me for my address.

Thanks again to all...

Christopher

Don't worry about the two nay-sayers (first-class wind-up artists both) and one wet blanket, Christopher. It's not like you would have gotten anything out of any of them anyway...

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » December 7th, 2009, 9:20 pm

Jim Sisti wrote:
Christopher Lyle wrote:Tom...

Thanks again to all...

Christopher

Don't worry about the two nay-sayers (first-class wind-up artists both) and one wet blanket, Christopher. It's not like you would have gotten anything out of any of them anyway...

What a strange post. Not only did I say it was a good thing I wished him luck in his endevour. I simply took the opportunity to remind people that there are a lot of folks who need help these days and all year round. It's unfortunate you chose to read something in my post that frankly wasn't there.

It seems Chris understood. His first two sentences in his reply to my post hits the nail on the head. Even if he had assumed something else that wasn't there, he showed a lot of class in his response. It's also strange and unfortunate that you assume to know anything about me or what I may or may not do for charitable causes.

I'll give you the courtesy you didn't give me and write it off to a bad day. Have a good holiday.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » December 7th, 2009, 10:08 pm

Tom. Take no notice of Sisti. He has always been a bit of a misery. At least your post has now identified you as the wet blanket. I couldn't figure out who he meant.

To go off at a tangent I have wondered for years how a wet blanket came to mean a naysayer. The sort of thing that amuses me
since I have a lot of time on my hands.

Besides it hasn't occured to anyone that it is the naysayers and wet blankets who are keeping this thread alive and bringing more donations as a result thereof. I learned years ago that controversy always brings more money.
Last edited by Mark.Lewis on December 7th, 2009, 10:30 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 8th, 2009, 10:46 am

Help him get a gig - and bring joy to others ( and money home as well )

just thinking...
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » December 8th, 2009, 9:16 pm

The problem is Jonathan is that should he book a gig, he has nothing to perform in that looks halfway professional. He doesn't even own so much as a dress white dress shirt. Pretty much all of his "stuff" are hand me downs that dont' fit.

But he walks thru life with his head held high and never complains about anything. He's a great kid and deserves better...

Thanks to those who have donated thus far...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » December 8th, 2009, 9:39 pm

Get him out busking then. They tend to be a scruffy lot anyway. And a kid might get more money.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 8th, 2009, 9:55 pm

I should have been a little more specific with the suggestion - maybe as assistant and guest at shows for the couple of tricks he can work on. Apprentice kind of thing to start.

Jeff.Prace

Postby Jeff.Prace » December 11th, 2009, 6:51 pm

Hey Christopher,

I just shipped you a copy of Gum.

Thanks,
Jeff

Seuss

Postby Seuss » December 11th, 2009, 8:38 pm

there is a link in jeff prace's signature to his DVD gum
Genii Lifetime Subscriber
Co-host Magic On the Side

Jeff.Prace

Postby Jeff.Prace » December 11th, 2009, 11:09 pm

Hey guys:

Please, let's stay on the topic of Christopher's objective.
If you'd like to discuss Gum, here is a thread: http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... Post209347

Thanks,
Jeff

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » December 12th, 2009, 3:21 am

Jeff,

Thanks so much for sending Gum. I'll let ya know when it arrives!

It's not too late to mkae a donation. I will be meeting up with my young friend on December 2oth to make the deliver. If you have any used Magic, Books, DVDs, etc. then contact my privately for my mailing addy.

Cash donations are still be accepted thru PayPal at lylemagic@aol.com

Thanks again everyone...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

Edward

Postby Edward » December 12th, 2009, 3:55 pm

Chris, lets know his reactions to these presents. :)

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » December 12th, 2009, 7:28 pm

Christopher;
Email me directly. I have a new item for "the kid".
Jim

P.S. I'd send him a Svengali deck but I'm certain that is being taken care of by someone in Canada.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » December 12th, 2009, 9:16 pm

I will be happy to send the young man a lucky playing card which has been blessed by a psychic. Me. If he puts the card underneath his pillow when he goes to bed and makes a wish I promise-I really promise- that when he wakes up in the morning -that card will still be - underneath his pillow..............

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » December 13th, 2009, 12:42 am

Interestingly enough I have not made 666 posts at all since I have returned here. I don't know why it says that many. I have only made about 100 posts altogether if even that. It must be recording all the posts I have made since the beginning of time.

Furthermore I do hope you are not being impertinent.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » December 13th, 2009, 1:07 am

Mark.Lewis wrote:I have only made about 100 posts altogether if even that.

You've made 100 posts just in December: http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... s/id/4551/

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » December 13th, 2009, 1:35 am

No. That wasn't me. That was Satan impersonating me.
Anyway it is all very odd. I could have sworn that I was talking to someone here a moment ago. He seems to have vanished. I must have been hallucinating.
Satan is truly at work methinks.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 13th, 2009, 10:28 am

Not satan, just me. I banned the other person who was a troll and did nothing but make nasty remarks in his 7 posts.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » December 13th, 2009, 1:18 pm

Oh then it was Satan after all. I bet Jeff Busby agrees with me.

I am most upset to find that there has been another troll here. I hate competition.

Return to “General”