Tom Stone's "Tripodal by Sundown"

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Tom Stone

Tom Stone's "Tripodal by Sundown"

Postby Tom Stone » November 16th, 2009, 11:17 am

I've got a new ebook out again; "Tripodal by Sundown"
This time it's just one single trick - a comedy routine from my professional repertoire for stage or parlor.

To decribe the evolution of the routine, I've included two items from the ebook "Marvelpiece" (now out of print).

http://shop.tomstone.se

Ian Kendall

Re: Tom Stone's "Tripodal by Sundown"

Postby Ian Kendall » November 17th, 2009, 7:03 pm

Just a wee note to say that this is a wonderful ebook from Tom. The routine explained reads like a dream - an entertaining and interactive comedy vignette that requires little in the way of dexterity and offers a wonderful and logical presentational hook.

The layout and descriptions are as ever - and it's always interesting to read the origins of the work.

Anyone looking for a stand up piece will not be dissappointed. Thank you again, Tom.

Take care, Ian

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 17th, 2009, 7:48 pm

Egg bag, production bag, quiz master... vitamin C?

And more if folks are up for building a nice prop to do a routine in front of a curtain

Much to think about - another fine ebook Tom

:D
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

pduffie

Postby pduffie » November 18th, 2009, 5:47 am

In Tripdal by Sundown (title suggested by Max Maven) Tom includes two previous effects Mental Pursuit and Quean of the Quiz. Both of these effects are excellent and can be found in Marvelpiece (now out of print). They are included here to explain the evolution of the routine. However, Tom was not 100% happy with the previous results and so The Quiz Show was created. This is a first rate effect for stand-up or parlour setting, with audience participation, comedy, and a big production finish. The props for this one are easy to construct and the end results are nothing short of spectacular. I urge you to head straight to http://shop.tomstone.se/ and get your copy now, and if you do not have Tom's previous ebooks you will find many of them here too - subject to availability. Tom's ebooks can out of print quickly, so ..... don't delay.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 18th, 2009, 10:59 am

I'll echo Peter Duffie's recommendation of Tom's new book with a couple of addenda.

First, in the lead-up to the trick Tom discusses one of my favorite subjects, Gray codes, and their application to the effect under consideration, a mock quiz show. Although he doesn't mention him by name, the work of Leo Boudreau is echoed here. But Tom's thinking is first rate, and his ideas regarding his method of keying where in the Gray code you are is excellent.

Second, this is a piece right out of Tom's repertoire, so he has worked out many of the kinks inherent in any original routine. He has redesigned a change bag so it works using only one hand, has figured out a clever choreography to ring in a load, and stimulated my thinking about adapting something like this to what I laughingly refer to as "my act."

The patter recommendations show a great sensitivity to the feelings of the spectators chosen to assist on stage. As always the illustrations are first rate.

I highly recommend "Tripodal by Sundown."

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » November 18th, 2009, 6:56 pm

Around 20 years ago when I decided to manufacture magic rather than to perform it, I was developing a 15 minute comedy "Game Show" act. As I rapidly became busy making magic items, the new act just sort of faded away.

So, you can imagine my delight to see that Tom had fully developed a similar idea. Tom's idea was to simulate a "Quiz Show" rather than the "Game Show" that I had in mind. My idea was more along the lines of "The Price is Right". My plan was to utilize a variety of forcing items that I already owned or would custom make. To give you an idea ... I planned to include a spirit clock hand/dial where it would be easy to control the outcome of the spins. Everything was to be gimmicked to favor one spectator as was Tom's idea also. You get the idea. There is a lot of opportunity to get the men cheering on the man and the women cheering on the female. My act would end with a tie.

Well, Tom has delivered a fully developed entertaining routine here. This is GOOD material for a serious entertainer wanting to try something a little different. It is a very nice break from the usual magic and a nice opportunity to develop some casual interaction with the audience.

Everything will work as described and not be obvious. The only thing I would suggest would be to use a flat spring steel (like old clock mainspring) rather than the music wire.

For the performer wanting a new fun piece that packs small and is foolproof/easy to do, this is it! Well done, Tom.
Jim

Return to “Light From the Lamp”