Are you a member of The Magic Circle?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Mark.Lewis

Re: Are you a member of The Magic Circle?

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 17th, 2009, 6:18 am

Roger is making a joke. There is something about the Genii Forum which seems to say that nobody is allowed to have a sense of humour. After all how can you possibly take seriously a man that wears a green dress?

Anyway Fred certainly mentioned Roger to me. I and Roger were ripping off the public-oops!- sorry-I forgot we were on the Genii Forum where humour is not permitted-I meant to say we were marketing merchandise to the public at the Mind Body and Spirit exhibition in a dreadful place called London which I have detested all my life. Roger had decided to go for a break on the grounds that he was exhausted after his fight with a smoking scientologist (read my memoirs for further details).

It seems that Fred was somewhat concerned about his own mind, body and spirit so he decided to visit the said exhibition whereupon to his great horror he came across the devil incarnate in the form of me and felt obliged to talk to me even though it was quite apparent that he would rather be somewhere else in case someone from the Magic Circle saw him talking to me.

I told him that His Royal Excellency the Right Honourable Roger Blakiston was in the building and was taking a break whereupon Fred was distracted from the horror of me and centred his horror on Roger instead. He said with a great sniff of derision, "Oh, Roger Blakiston! The cruise ship magician! He was so bad that the passengers wanted to throw both him and his props overboard"
Naturally this gave me great delight and I completely forgot to tell Roger about this until about a quarter of a century later when Fred was well and truly in the spirit world.

I am pleased you took lessons from him. No doubt you learned all sorts of useless introverted card magic which you could amuse yourself in the mirror with. Of course he wouldn't have taught you anything about presentation and psychology of magic since he didn't know that much about it. Don't despair, however. I and Roger will be delighted to advise you on these matters. Roger will tell you how to be so bad that they will want to throw you overboard on a cruise ship and I will tell you how to be so good that James Munton will come along and tell you that you are doing things all wrong.

I bet you don't learn things like that at the Magic Circle.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 17th, 2009, 6:36 am

I knew Jack Avis well and got on quite well with him. He would have been the first to admit that he had no showmanship whatsoever and had the personality of a dial tone. I am quite sure he was a nice man and he was always pleasant to me. But that is not what I am discussing. I was discussing his competence at magic. Do pay attention, Brahams old chap.

I also remember Anthony himself. I wouldn't dream of saying he was a toffee nosed git since I have always been the soul of tact and discretion. I do remember he got a trifle irritable when I once tried to sell him a svengali deck.

As for real names again Anthony is not paying attention. The only person among the three he singled out who has not given his real name is El Mystico who is actually supporting Fred Robinson.
Roger's real name is Roger Blakiston and he is related to the Queen so he is even posher than you are. I have several real names as befits my profession and there is no secret whatever as to who I am. Sadly I am not related to royalty but my grandfather was a Russian horse thief if that is any consolation.

Instead of fussing about my "obnoxious posts" I rather think that Anthony should pay attention to them and see what he can learn. I happen to be one of the world's greatest magicians and he should be honoured to be in my presence.

Besides David Ben told me tonight that I am much better behaved than normal. Of course he had been availing himself of the devil's buttermilk all evening and was plying me with whiskey from his own supply so perhaps that had something to do with it.

Brahams, old chap. You must be terribly ancient by now since I remember you at the Magic Circle decades ago. You were older than me then so nowadays you must be nearly as old as Moses. At your age you must watch your blood pressure.

One of the best ways to do it is to develop a sense of humour.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 17th, 2009, 6:48 am

Paul -- Jeans are OK. They don't like people looking disheveled. I've never heard anyone be asked to leave (since the new code was adopted). "Smart dress" is what the code says, and jeans fit that description.

Matt Field

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 17th, 2009, 6:55 am

I wonder if Criss Angel would be allowed in?

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » November 17th, 2009, 7:47 am

Matthew Field wrote:Paul -- Jeans are OK. They don't like people looking disheveled. I've never heard anyone be asked to leave (since the new code was adopted). "Smart dress" is what the code says, and jeans fit that description.

Matt Field

Excellent news! Now, I LIKE to look smart...but, it's so nice to be able to travel nice 'n' casual...especially in a hot summer, or a very cold winter. I might attend more now that I know that! Paul
Secure Online Magic Shop: https://www.paulgordon.net/shop

AnthonyBrahams

Postby AnthonyBrahams » November 17th, 2009, 9:22 am

Mark Lewis' last post is so full of errors and rubbish I will not reply further except to state: read my post, Jack was an excellent card man; I have never wanted to buy a Svengali deck from you, even if you have another name! Do you?
Anthony

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » November 17th, 2009, 10:03 am

AnthonyBrahams wrote:Jack was an excellent card man

Here, here! PG

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 17th, 2009, 10:26 am

Dearie me Paul! Saying Jack Avis was an excellent card man does make me doubt your credibility somewhat. I still don't know if you are any good or not because your videoclip tells me nothing either way. However there are now two counts against you instead of one. The first count was your enthusiastic approval of the Magic Circle which is always a bad sign and the second is your statement that Jack Avis was an excellent card man.

Just because someone is technically proficient and comes up with good ideas does NOT mean that they are "excellent". That is because they haven't finished the job. Avis was boring whether you like it or not and Fred Robinson equally so. Sure they could both do wonderful moves and tricks and invent various tomfoolery with cards but alas that is NOT enough. You are not there to sell tricks; you are there to sell yourself. And neither of them did so and come to think of it 90% of magicians don't do so either.

Besides you spelled "Hear, Hear" wrong.

As for this Brahams personage who seems to take offence easily I well rememember trying to sell him something or other at some silly Magic Circle dealer event years and years ago. I think it was my wondrous svengali routine. I attempted to draw him over and he immediately got on his inbred stuffy Magic Circle high horse and showed great resentment over the matter saying "don't give me the hard sell" and stormed off after I reprimanded him severely. Rather a stuffy individual as I recall with a three piece suit to emphasise his stuffiness. I am quite sure that he is of the Avis/Robinson sleep inducing school of magic. Lots of moves but no presentation or personality to back it up with.

He seems to want to know my various names. I have three. The one that he possibly knows the best is Ronnie McLeod. However I was using the name Mark Lewis when he was most impertinent to me when I merely wished to deprive him of his money.

Anyway I am delighted he is not going to reply to me. After all I didn't invite him to respond to me in the first place. I can only say "Cheeriebye". May God bless and keep you because I can't afford to.

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » November 17th, 2009, 11:02 am

Mark.Lewis wrote: I still don't know if you are any good or not because your videoclip tells me nothing either way.

My promo video - http://paulgordon.net/promovideo.html - shows me performing strong card magic garnering lots of laughs and applause. It shows me entertaining and doing it well. So, your comment is silly & stupid! But then, most of your comments are baloney!

All you do is attack people, make nasty remarks and egotistical comments. You do it under the guise of humour. Sad, really...

Paul Gordon

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » November 17th, 2009, 11:38 am

Mark..........I must admit I found your last few posts hilarious, and I thank you for clarifying the Fred Robinson saga. I am also amazed that so many people to seem to be lacking in humour. I would have thought it obvious that the "Jealousy" remark was a joke!

Anthony, dear fellow,......I am not hiding behind a name. Most people in the magic world know me as Jolly Roger. It is the only name on my website www.ComicMagician.com You might like to take a look at it to find out a little more about me. Many artists are known by their stage name rather than their real name. Examples might be David Copperfield, Ali Bongo, Slydini, Silvan, Cardini or Chan Canasta!
JR
www.ComicMagician.com
www.Magician.US.com
www.BestAssemblies.com
www.SpiritualStage.com

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 17th, 2009, 12:25 pm

Mark.Lewis wrote:Dearie me Paul! Saying Jack Avis was an excellent card man does make me doubt your credibility somewhat. I still don't know if you are any good or not because your videoclip tells me nothing either way. However there are now two counts against you instead of one. The first count was your enthusiastic approval of the Magic Circle which is always a bad sign and the second is your statement that Jack Avis was an excellent card man.

Just because someone is technically proficient and comes up with good ideas does NOT mean that they are "excellent". That is because they haven't finished the job. Avis was boring whether you like it or not and Fred Robinson equally so. Sure they could both do wonderful moves and tricks and invent various tomfoolery with cards but alas that is NOT enough. You are not there to sell tricks; you are there to sell yourself. And neither of them did so and come to think of it 90% of magicians don't do so either.

Besides you spelled "Hear, Hear" wrong.

As for this Brahams personage who seems to take offence easily I well rememember trying to sell him something or other at some silly Magic Circle dealer event years and years ago. I think it was my wondrous svengali routine. I attempted to draw him over and he immediately got on his inbred stuffy Magic Circle high horse and showed great resentment over the matter saying "don't give me the hard sell" and stormed off after I reprimanded him severely. Rather a stuffy individual as I recall with a three piece suit to emphasise his stuffiness. I am quite sure that he is of the Avis/Robinson sleep inducing school of magic. Lots of moves but no presentation or personality to back it up with.

He seems to want to know my various names. I have three. The one that he possibly knows the best is Ronnie McLeod. However I was using the name Mark Lewis when he was most impertinent to me when I merely wished to deprive him of his money.

Anyway I am delighted he is not going to reply to me. After all I didn't invite him to respond to me in the first place. I can only say "Cheeriebye". May God bless and keep you because I can't afford to.

Come on Rev, even for you, this is such obvious trolling.

Oh hang on, 3 people have fallen for it already!

It's like they've never read your posts before, bless them.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » November 17th, 2009, 12:57 pm

Mark.Lewis wrote: Avis was boring whether you like it or not and Fred Robinson equally so.

This is one man's view of Fred Robinson.
For another; Dai Vernon wrote of him, "I only wish more of today's performers would follow his attitude and manner and thus enhance their performances."

Maybe Mark is trolling, or maybe Vernon didn't know about magical performance.

What I do know is that if someone visited me in London back in those days, I made a point of taking them to the Marlborough so they could experience Fred's magic. Some of them still talk about it.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 17th, 2009, 1:06 pm

El Mystico wrote:Maybe Mark is trolling

Dur.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 17th, 2009, 1:26 pm

I actually believe that Mark is speaking honestly, in his opinion, about seeing Fred do magic. (Ditto for Jack Avis.)

Mark doesn't care for any subtlety in presentation--he likes it loud and proud. That's the way he works, and in his opinion it's the only way to hit the audience and bring in the cash. If you understand that, then you understand his point of view.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 17th, 2009, 1:47 pm

Again not quite, Richard as I responded to you on the bored stiff thread. I think you are getting confused with the way I sell svengali decks. Different thing entirely.

I do NOT work loud and I do NOT work proud when performing close up magic. I work reasonably quietly and believe or not in a modest manner. I am after reaction, not cash. I am either being paid already or I am doing it for no money at all as oddly enough I have a strange notion shared by few magicians that it is my DUTY to perform impromptu magic when the opportunity arises. And I should make it clear that I never force that opportunity. I don't have to.

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » November 17th, 2009, 2:02 pm

I think this is the point. The world is full of wonderfully skillful magicians, whose skill I admire when I see them at the magic clubs. They are technically superb, but they are just plain dull.

There are other less skillful magi, who I find entertaining, and so does the general public. There is no right or wrong. It is what it is. This is what I find so fascinating about our art. I love the Magic Circle, but the friends I mix with there tend to be those with a sense of humour, as well as magical knowledge. One of my oldest ex Magic Circle friends was Michael Vine. Unfortunately, he was thrown out. He had the kind of sense of humour I loved. He has done rather well for himself. If you don't know the name, he manages Derren Brown, who some of you may have heard of. JR
www.ComicMagician.com

www.Magician.US.com

www.BestAssemblies.com

www.SpiritualStage.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 17th, 2009, 2:12 pm

Now to go back to my trolling activities. It ill behooves this Gordon person to complain about me being "egotistical" when his latest post is full of bragging about how good he is. I am afraid I cannot accept his claims although I will certainly admit that I cannot yet reject them.

Young or not really young Gordon has as yet presented no evidence either way. I am sure he is awful as most magicians are but I am loath to say so without actual evidence that he is indeed crap. That video he has posted he has already posted and I must say that he is prone to repeat himself.

There is no evidence whatever concerning his talent or lack thereof on that video. Jolly Roger used to be a successful agent and I used to be an unsuccessful one. I bet neither of us would judge this late 40 year old who looks like he is 35 on the basis of that clip.

The trouble is with it-(and young/old Gordon is not the only one who makes this mistake)-is that the clip shows a few seconds here and a few seconds there and it means nothing at all. Show me 5 minutes of an UNEDITED performance and I will be convinced.

Certainly there is some evidence of giggling and laughing from various silly people but that is not evidence either. We don't know who these people are. They could be his relatives or his friends. They could be members of his beloved Magic Circle although of course that is unlikely because they have no sense of humour.

They could be people that he has told to laugh before the shoot. We have no idea. It could be laughter that has been recorded and put into the video. Or perhaps the silly people are laughing at something else.

Sorry. I am not satisfied. I have to see more evidence. And of course even if they were genuine reactions he was getting we don't know about all the times he has died the death and gotten no reactions at all.

At any rate he is no MARK LEWIS. I would not have elicted a few giggles here and there. I would have received TEN TIMES the reaction and the audience would have started a new religion worshipping me.

As for Vernon praising Fred Robinson Vernon would praise everybody and anybody. I would have been far more impressed if Albert Goshman has said something good about Fred but there is more chance of that happening than there is of both Avis and Robinson rising from the dead.

To go off at a tangent Al made these remarks to me about various legends in magic
"Slydini couldn't handle trouble"
"David Roth has no idea of presentation"
"I have known the professor (Vernon) for 40 years. I have no comment about him" Which of course implied that he did but decided to bite his tongue.

And I HAVE seen Fred Robinson "perform" in that den of depravity known as the Malborough Arms. As a most holy reverend man of the cloth I really cannot approve of people who indulge in the devil's buttermilk even though I will confess that I gave in to the temptation myself yesterday.

And Fred was crap beyond measure. As an entertainer he would have made a remarkable railwayman and if he had been on the same cruise as Roger he would have been thrown overboard as well.

If it had been ME in the Malborough Arms the whole bloody pub would have been around me within 5 minutes. In fact I used to annoy pub owners because of this. And in my youth several centuries ago one day in a bowling alley an announcement was made on the tannoy "Can the gentleman from the Magic Circle please refrain from doing card tricks for a while?" The crowds were too big I am afraid. The worst insult of all was they thought I was a member of the rather awful Magic Circle. Most traumatic if I may say so.

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » November 17th, 2009, 2:49 pm

Ronnie..you crack me up!!!
www.ComicMagician.com

www.Magician.US.com

www.BestAssemblies.com

www.SpiritualStage.com

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 17th, 2009, 2:53 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I actually believe that Mark is speaking honestly, in his opinion, about seeing Fred do magic. (Ditto for Jack Avis.)

Mark doesn't care for any subtlety in presentation--he likes it loud and proud. That's the way he works, and in his opinion it's the only way to hit the audience and bring in the cash. If you understand that, then you understand his point of view.

He got you too! Brilliant work Rev.

Anyone that saw Fred work for laymen knows that boring just isn't a word anyone could ever use.

Even if you don't like his simple, beautiful magic, you just can't say he was boring.

Rev L picked that word in order to try and get a response. It worked. He is brilliantly clever.

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » November 17th, 2009, 3:08 pm

Well, judging by Mark Lewis's truly AWFUL Svengali-pitch video - I think he certainly should not be throwing stones. It shows a bad performer at work...fumbling; trying to recall the moves. No entertainment value whatsoever. He makes even the worst amateur look talented! And, judging by the many PM's I'm getting - I'm not the only one who feels that way. Now I see why he was thrown out of The Magic Circle.

And, my video shows non-prompted laymen at various parties enjoying themselves. All genuine reactions...something that ML obviously doesn't get!

PG

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 17th, 2009, 3:18 pm

Paul Gordon wrote:Well, judging by Mark Lewis's truly AWFUL Svengali-pitch video - I think he certainly should not be throwing stones. It shows a bad performer at work...fumbling; trying to recall the moves. No entertainment value whatsoever. He makes even the worst amateur look talented! And, judging by the many PM's I'm getting - I'm not the only one who feels that way. Now I see why he was thrown out of The Magic Circle.

PG

Jesus. You guys are SO EASY.

Sigh.

Paul, listen to me. Mark Lewis is a troll. He posts deliberately contentious statements in order to provoke people. He ripped your promo clip to bits in order to get you to post exactly what you did.

He will now be sitting in Canada laughing his arse off.

Although I agree with him about your video (and would add NEVER zoom, esp if your camera is old), you do need to know that he is just posting to annoy you. And it worked. Just stop responding and he will stop antagonising you.

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » November 17th, 2009, 3:32 pm

I'm more angry that he knocks everyone...recently Jack Avis, Anthony Brahams and Fred Robinson; all friends of mine. Not seasoned performers, but nice folks - good card technicians.

Why he's allowed to troll on here is a mystery. He's like a rotton egg in a basket...a shop-floor trouble-maker. Oh well, I guess he's just a lonely old man. After all...400 posttings in 2 months is a bit anal!

PG

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 17th, 2009, 3:39 pm

I must say that young/old Gordon really has a thin skin and a MASSIVE ego. Far bigger than mine actually.

He hasn't had the decency to offer me the same courtesy I offered him. I didn't rip his video to pieces as the goat claimed. I said there was no evidence that he was crap even though I could see a ton of evidence that he was. However I did wish to be tactful about his lamentable lack of talent. It is perfectly evident from his silly video clip that he has no charisma whatsoever. Just a Magic Circle type of performer with a dreadful English accent which is not as posh as Roger's.

I didn't say that Robinson and Avis were bad people. I merely said they were bad performers and I see that he seems to confirm it in his latest post by saying they were "not seasoned performers"

He has had the audacity to say that the greatest svengali demonstration in history is sub standard. I can assure him there was no fumbling whatsoever in my demonstration except on one minor occasion where I made a terribly witty joke to cover the matter. Only a small memory lapse BETWEEN demonstrations and that can easily be justified on the grounds of old age. Darwin Ortiz mentions that the world's greatest memory expert Harry Lorayne is absent minded too so why shouldn't I be as well?

I hope to God Harry doesn't see this post otherwise we will never hear the end of it.

Besides fumbling and memory lapses are very good for a performer. I suggest Gordon reads my brilliant dissertation on "Defensive Resentment" on the Bored Stiff thread where I give valuable advice on performing.

As for the reaction I get from performing magic for laymen I can assure him that I have MANY witnesses to the results I get some of whom are on this very forum. And the results are elicited from LAYMEN. Young/old Gordon wouldn't have a chance competing with me. I am one of the world's greatest magicians while the Gordon person is merely a member of the Magic Circle. Actually I am THE world's greatest magician but I don't want to mention it on the grounds that people might think me immodest.

The illustrous David Ben has seen me work for laymen and thinks I am wonderful.
The not so illustrious Jolly Roger has seen me work for laymen and thinks that I am wonderful.
Joe Turner who is going to squirm with embarrassment that I have mentioned his name has seen me work for laymen and thinks I am wonderful.
Paul Pacific who is also wonderful has seen me work for laymen thinks I am wonderful too. Mind you he thinks his own feet are more wonderful but I won't get into that.
If however the various twits on this forum from the Magic Circle wish to scoff and say these are merely testimonials from my friends and acquaintances I shall post some quotes from my worst enemy Quentin Reynolds.
James Munton says that I post them several thousand times a day but anything that annoys Quentin and the various Magic Circle incompetents can't be all bad. He shouldn't have said these things in the first place if it was going to bother him in the future.
One moment please.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 17th, 2009, 3:50 pm

Here you are: The first Quentin quote. And remember we hate each other's guts.:

"I have no hesitation, nor have I ever had any hesitation or reluctance in acknowledging you as the finest card magician I have ever seen performing for laymen in an impromptu situation.

At conventions I have seen magicians, hailed as some of the world's best by their peers who I know would die a thousand painful deaths in the venues I have seen you perform. Venues where I have seen tough and hostile groups intrigued, tamed and turned into cheering fans in minutes and left shouting for more."

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » November 17th, 2009, 3:51 pm

Someone just PM'd me this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PB3wQz-Md4 - is this the so-called great ML? Either way, it's given me my laugh for the day.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » November 17th, 2009, 3:52 pm

Paul Gordon wrote:I'm more angry that he knocks everyone...recently Jack Avis, Anthony Brahams and Fred Robinson; all friends of mine.
PG

Fred Robinson was a friend of yours?
Curious; I don't recall you talking to him.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 17th, 2009, 3:52 pm

Mark.Lewis wrote:I must say that young/old Gordon really has a thin skin and a MASSIVE ego. Far bigger than mine actually.

He hasn't had the decency to offer me the same courtesy I offered him. I didn't rip his video to pieces as the goat claimed. I said there was no evidence that he was crap even though I could see a ton of evidence that he was. However I did wish to be tactful about his lamentable lack of talent. It is perfectly evident from his silly video clip that he has no charisma whatsoever. Just a Magic Circle type of performer with a dreadful English accent which is not as posh as Roger's.

To be fair, Rev, he seems to be brilliant at tricks where he makes the spectator looks stupid. His cocky presentation of his excellently reviewed monte is like that. "HAHAHA THEY ARE ALL RED/BLACK YOU IDIOT". And his use of card to 'hanging out of your' mouth also adds a kind of "HOW STUPID ARE YOU LOOK YOUR CARD IS IN MY BLOODY MOUTH YOU TARD".

But yes, you didn't rip him to shreds, I apologise. Such low hanging fruit you leave to me.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » November 17th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Mark.Lewis wrote:The not so illustrious Jolly Roger has seen me work for laymen and thinks that I am wonderful.

I have never seen you perform Mark. But your posting and advice reminds me of times of long ago. When I would sit and listen to my Dad and a lot of his friends (working performers - not just working magicians) talk for hours on end. And give their opinions on - magic - magicians - audience management - booking - agents - and other subjects that they used to talk about.

Thanks again.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 17th, 2009, 3:57 pm

And here is comment number two from Quentin. (Oh do be quiet Munton):

"I was thinking about you the other day. In fact I was
also thinking about you at FISM in July. I was hanging
around with some very well known magicians ( I won't say who
because you'd probably tell them what I said) and some laymen
came over and asked to see some tricks. A pack of cards
went around. I was interested to see what reactions they'd
get. To be honest, not much. That's when you came to mind.
You would have crucified the laymen. I still haven't seen anyone
handle laymen with a deck of cards like you.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 17th, 2009, 3:58 pm

Yes, indeed, Paul: that is Mark Lewis, proving himself a very fine children's entertainer.

See, what I know that many of you don't is that Mark is not just some old windbag and provocateur, but he happens to be a superb pitchman, an excellent kids' magician, and adults love his work as well. His performing persona is not at all like some of his wind-heavy writing here on the Forum. When he actually spends the time to write a thoughtful post it's full of insightful information from someone who really knows his stuff.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 17th, 2009, 4:08 pm

And here is quotation number three from Quentin:

"Quentin once wrote on a book (by a certain Richard Kaufmann, no less) "To Mark Lewis, one of the world's greatest magicians"

And I bet he would still say it even though we detest each other.
Quentin is incapable of telling a lie. He blushes every time he tries it. Sheltered Irish Catholic life I am afraid.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 17th, 2009, 4:10 pm

Now I am in a state of bafflement as to whose side El Mystico is on. I must get some rest.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 17th, 2009, 4:11 pm

That's enough about Quentin, Mark.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 17th, 2009, 4:14 pm

OK. I am never a one to labour a point.

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » November 17th, 2009, 4:18 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Yes, indeed, Paul: that is Mark Lewis, proving himself a very fine children's entertainer.

See, what I know that many of you don't is that Mark is not just some old windbag and provocateur, but he happens to be a superb pitchman, an excellent kids' magician, and adults love his work as well. His performing persona is not at all like some of his wind-heavy writing here on the Forum. When he actually spends the time to write a thoughtful post it's full of insightful information from someone who really knows his stuff.

Richard........that made my day! JR
www.ComicMagician.com

www.Magician.US.com

www.BestAssemblies.com

www.SpiritualStage.com

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » November 17th, 2009, 4:23 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Yes, indeed, Paul: that is Mark Lewis, proving himself a very fine children's entertainer.

I agree - and in my opinion working the family show - kid show market is also a very "hard" market and one of the most under appreciated markets in show business.

Having watched my Dad, Jay Marshall, John Shirley, and many others work this market - and having made a living off this market for most of my life - doing shows in this market - before I was a close up magician.

I find it sad that many magicians and others in show business in my opinion look down upon the kid show - childrens entertainer - family show entertainer.

Here is a link to my dad doing a kid show. This video is his last show before his stroke that forced him into retirement. What I find most interesting about this clip is that he performed on the stage of the Billy Rose Diamond Horseshoe a booking that lasted over 6 months. Where he replaced Jay Marshall

In the clip - he performs under the modern performing conditions of today.

http://www.mrhypnotist.org/video/billyb ... sdream.wmv

If I may add - great show Mark - It looks like the audience had a great time.

Just my opinion.

David Ben

Postby David Ben » November 17th, 2009, 4:25 pm

Mark

Leave me out of this one!

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 17th, 2009, 4:28 pm

I will have a look at Glenn's clip later. I know a lot of people on the magic forums get quite irritated that Glenn talks about his dad all the time.

I don't. I think there is something very moving about it.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 17th, 2009, 4:29 pm

DAvid. It is your fault for filling me up with whiskey last night. You know perfectly well I don't drink. I still haven't sobered up yet.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 17th, 2009, 4:35 pm

I KNEW bloody Jolly Roger was up to mischief when he started this thread!

Return to “General”