choo choo train trick

Discuss the art of Children's Entertainment with your fellow performers.
Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

choo choo train trick

Postby Joe Pecore » November 9th, 2009, 2:27 pm

Since the original thread was locked, I thought I would at post here that the item was published in Genii June 1954 under "Len Belcher presents" as "SOUP!".

He writes "its simply a very amusing and effective way of getting a juvenile audience to let off steam, and thoroughly enjoy themselves, at the same time!"

He describes it as a flip book with the words "COFFEE, CHEESE AND BISCUITS, SWEET, MEAT AND VEG, FISH, SOUP"
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

James Munton

Re: choo choo train trick

Postby James Munton » November 9th, 2009, 2:34 pm

Why on earth was the topic locked? Nobody was reading it anyway.

Besides, I have renamed the routine the Choo Choo Train Wreck. If you must talk about it, please would everyone now refer to it by the new title.
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 9th, 2009, 2:35 pm

I have always said that the best stuff was published in 1954 or previous to that year. I do thank Joe for providing the correct words which have been eluding me slightly. Mind you I don't think Edwin included the word "sweet". I am not sure that sounds very train like.

Regardless I think it is a great bit of nonsense especially as a warm up item at the beginning of a children's show.

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » November 9th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Welcome to the choo choo conversation Joe. I am also puzzled why such an important thread should be locked, but ours is not to reason why!

It's interesting that you brought up the name Len Belcher. I attended the Worcester Wizards years ago when I was still at Drama school. I was playing a small part in "Twelfth Night", and guess who was playing Feste the Jester? David Wood. The Brits will know David from his magic and music show as well as much more. David took me to the Worcester Wizards, and Len was lecturing. He introduced me to his Panama rope routine, which I still perform today. It is all based around a girl's skipping rope. Unfortunately, for my American audiences, I have to call it a jump rope which is ridiculous, as most sensible children skip over it rather than jump on it. JR
www.ComicMagician.com
www.Magician.US.com
www.BestAssemblies.com
www.SpiritualStage.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 9th, 2009, 6:32 pm

Good heavens Roger! Do Americans REALLY call it a "jump rope"? How utterly ghastly. The proper term is skipping rope. It really is about time America came under British rule once again and learned how to speak English properly.

Since Canada is actually under British rule even though they think they aren't I must find out what they call it here. Alas however Canada has been badly influenced by America and sometimes you can't tell the difference between the two. Perfectly dreadful state of affairs.

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » November 9th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Yes............the Americans are very odd with some of their phrases. I got into trouble when I did Billy Day's Lovey Duck at a daycare centre. I referred to what Americasns called a Kitty Cat as a [censored], and was informed by the diector of the Centre(center for the Americans) that I needed to watch my language. Very odd!! JR
www.ComicMagician.com

www.Magician.US.com

www.BestAssemblies.com

www.SpiritualStage.com

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » November 9th, 2009, 7:14 pm

See what I mean! It has just happened on this forum. I posted a perfectly ordinary English word for a cat, and it has come up as "There was a naughty word here!" JR
www.ComicMagician.com

www.Magician.US.com

www.BestAssemblies.com

www.SpiritualStage.com

Return to “Children's Entertainment”