Amazing New iPhone Mentalism App!

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Randy Croucher

Amazing New iPhone Mentalism App!

Postby Randy Croucher » October 23rd, 2009, 2:00 am

Apple approved iForce (codename: Doodle) for the iPhone and iPod touch last night! It is available from the App Store now. Go to www.RostamiMagic.com/iforce to check it out.

Here is a link that will take you directly to iForce on the App Store.

-Randy Croucher

the Larry

Re: Amazing New iPhone Mentalism App!

Postby the Larry » October 23rd, 2009, 2:59 am

So what is the effect? The teaser only shows revealing some text or drawing. What's the routine?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 23rd, 2009, 5:14 am

I find it hard to believe the copy on the site:

Ask someone to think of a color, favorite food, day of the week, etc . . .

For example shes thinking of her favorite type of food . . . shes thinking Sushi (Remember shes only THINKING Sushi!)

After a deep look into her eyes, you write what shes thinking on the iPhone display using the "Doodle" app, and leave it face down on the table.

The moment she reveals her favorite food, (by whispering it to you) you smile triumphantly. When the iPhone is flipped over, her jaw drops when she sees that . . .
YOU had written Sushi on the display!!

--

If that happens, as described, I would pay 100 times the cost of the app.

However, I fear it doesn't.

Anyone ponied up for it care to give a review?

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » October 23rd, 2009, 6:37 am

There's more info on the Cafe. The food selection is from a fixed set of items. Not sure how many, but I recall being impressed with the range.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 23rd, 2009, 6:54 am

Curtis Kam wrote:There's more info on the Cafe. The food selection is from a fixed set of items. Not sure how many, but I recall being impressed with the range.

I never go to that green place.

I assumed it would be a force from a fixed list and you press a certain place on the screen and that triggers the reveal.

Hardly what the ad says.

The other two effects are clearly just taking the orientation of the phone and displaying a reveal according to that.

"Impossible to detect the secret" says the ad on the app store.

Meh.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 23rd, 2009, 8:40 am

Does the iphone know which way you turn it over (diagonally, right to left, top to bottom etc) ?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 23rd, 2009, 9:16 am

Yes.

Randy Croucher

Postby Randy Croucher » October 23rd, 2009, 11:24 am

Here is a link to a few full performances...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey4vJcyBLkE

Notice there are performances there where the iPhone is left face up the entire time.

Greg might be pushing it a little with the "Impossible to detect" line. Anything is possible, but I have yet to have someone peg it. Any theory a spectator might have can be squashed by another performance for them.

BTW - the only time I have left the states was to go to Brighton. It was an awesome trip!

Randy Croucher

Postby Randy Croucher » October 23rd, 2009, 11:46 am

Here are a few user quotes...

"Every and I mean EVERY iphone/itouch owner should pick this up. It is extremely clever." - sleightofhand1971

"Unbelievable and fantastic app. Brilliant , ingenious and so simple. Bravo !!!!" - Jean-Luc.R.

"Just awesome! I have already created some of my own presets to customize it (using names of people I know), and have many uses with other tricks for this also. Definitely app of the year, and magic app of the century!" - theboywonder

"I got this app and hour ago in work after reading this thread, and I haven't done a stitch since! Amazing and very clever piece of kit, well done Greg" - mamutrance

"Fantastic app.. The layout and user interface is slick and very intuitive. 10/10" - bond19

"This is a great app. The only magic application I am going to use for my iPod. " - jprace

"Bought this yesterday. Hands down the best Iphone magic app.... and the only one where it seems like you did it not the phone" - Joshua Barrett

"This app is the dogs danglies. Absolutly wicked. So many possibilities and completely undetectable. The best of the awesom magic apps out." - JamieD

The ONLY negative comments so far have been that we need to charge more and make it harder to find in the App Store.

There are so many more, but I am afraid I am boring you. I'll let you form your own opinion. :)

Thanks much,
-Randy

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 23rd, 2009, 11:52 am

Apple iPhone App = the new version of the one-trick DVD.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 23rd, 2009, 11:53 am

Bugger. I just bought it.

Quite nice. The customisation is the best part of it.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 23rd, 2009, 12:13 pm

I'm playing with this. It's great. By far the best magic app I have seen so far. I take back my earlier snark.

:)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 23rd, 2009, 12:13 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Apple iPhone App = the new version of the one-trick DVD.

Except the apps don't cost 35 bucks.

Randy Croucher

Postby Randy Croucher » October 24th, 2009, 1:01 am

Yes! A new quote to add to my collection. ;)

Thanks for the support mrgoat!

-Randy

Dick Christian

Postby Dick Christian » October 25th, 2009, 4:16 pm

Am I the only one who finds the apparent fascination with magic via iPhone that is evident here and on some of the other magic forums incomprehensible? Or is it just because I actually perform in public for real audiences and rarely just for family and friends and would NEVER even contemplate accosting strangers on the street or in line at the bank, supermarket check-out or DMV to annoy them by forcing them to watch a magic trick? I cant even bring myself to imagine featuring an iPhone Magic trick in my close-up act.
Dick Christian

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 25th, 2009, 6:17 pm

Dick Christian wrote:I... would NEVER even contemplate accosting strangers on the street or in line at the bank, supermarket check-out or DMV to annoy them by forcing them to watch a magic trick?

Thanks, I had missed the part in the instructions that said you had to ANNOY people. And the part that said you had to interrupt people.

Jebers. I hate it when that happens.

Here I am, experimenting with new technology to try and engage a modern audience and I miss out the part that says you have to be annoying!

/me goes to get hippity hop rabbits, a tie with playing cards on, some dlites, and his personality surgically removed

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » October 26th, 2009, 4:15 pm

You SHOULD do magic everywhere and anywhere. That is how you become good. When I was young I would perform EVERYWHERE. Bowling alleys, parks, buses, hotel lobbies. That is where I developed my genius originally. I was doing this supposed "street magic" before David Blaine was even breast feeding.

However the difference is that I never "accosted people in the street". Instead I arranged things so that they would accost me. I would NEVER go up to people and show them something. Instead they would come up to me and try to persuade ME not knowing that was what I had in mind all along.

How did I do that? There are ways.....................

nico26

Postby nico26 » October 26th, 2009, 4:29 pm

I really don't see the problem with one-trick DVDs. If the trick is one you want, if the routine adds something new to the subject then what the heck is wrong with a 30 or 35 buck DVD. If you don't want it don't buy it or as is more often the case download it for free or have a friend dub it. These are much bigger issues to worry about.
Any talk about the price of iPhone apps being too much is plain dumb. Think about the price of the phone, the price of your service plan and if you are still upset about the cost then just think how much it would cost if Apple were allowed to price it!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 26th, 2009, 4:49 pm

nico26 wrote:I really don't see the problem with one-trick DVDs.

Because they rip off idiots.

Many kids see the latest fast-cut DVD and just think they want it so spunk 35 bucks on one trick.

That same 35 could buy them several good books. Containing hundreds of tricks.

Dick Christian

Postby Dick Christian » October 26th, 2009, 7:08 pm

While I was not suggesting that mr. goat or anyone in particular was guilty of accosting strangers or annoying people by showing them a magic trick an activity that I refer to as practicing guerrilla magic, from some of the posts Ive seen on other Internet forums (e.g., the Genii Forums bastard cousin, The Magic Caf, and some others) there seems to be a number of amateurs and wannabes who take delight in doing so. IMO that is not the same as performing for strangers when invited/asked to do so (even if one has discreetly encouraged them to do ask). Certainly it is appropriate to hone ones skills by taking advantage of every opportunity to practice and I did not intend to suggest otherwise or I would not have couched my comments in the way that I did.

Having dispensed with that issue (I hope), I find it hard to wax enthusiastic about any effect that seems to me to be designed specifically with a one-on-one presentation in mind. Even when I am performing close-up magic even when working table-to-table in a restaurant, it is usually intended to be seen and enjoyed by more than one person.

But that's just my opinion, even if only representative of a minority of one.
Dick Christian

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 26th, 2009, 7:15 pm

Dick Christian wrote:Having dispensed with that issue (I hope), I find it hard to wax enthusiastic about any effect that seems to me to be designed specifically with a one-on-one presentation in mind. Even when I am performing close-up magic even when working table-to-table in a restaurant, it is usually intended to be seen and enjoyed by more than one person.

What makes this a one on one presentation? You are using the iphone to write a prediction as if it were a billet/piece of paper. You turn the phone over, as you would open some paper. And hey presto, people read your prediction, as they would were it on some paper.

Don't understand why you think it only plays for one person?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 26th, 2009, 7:37 pm

Not more than two, perhaps three, people can see the screen of an iphone simultaneously unless they're pressed up against one another in a manner that would make most people uncomfortable.

Amateurs far more often find themselves in the position of performing a trick for one person than professionals do.

In Japan they sell thin "screens" that you can stick onto the screen of your phone so it's only visible to one person directly in front of it and blacks it out to anyone even at a slight angle on either side. Security reasons.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 26th, 2009, 7:52 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Not more than two, perhaps three, people can see the screen of an iphone simultaneously unless they're pressed up against one another in a manner that would make most people uncomfortable.

Sorry Mr K. I respect you, your forum and all you stand for. But that isn't true.

I print the word SIX on my iphone screen I promise you more than 3 people can read it.

Just like a piece of paper.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 26th, 2009, 7:57 pm

Ha! Damien, you've got me there. It never occurred to me that you could hold the iphone up in the air like that. Of course it's analagous to doing card or coin magic for two or three people with your hands at waist level, or for many people with your hands up in the air (which is why 3-Fly is so damn popular).

Dick Christian

Postby Dick Christian » October 27th, 2009, 12:17 am

Alright, and how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? I still contend that despite their apparent poularity, such effects are of limited utility to anyone who typically performs for audiences instead of individuals and it seems to me that the primary reason for doing iPhone magic is because one has an iPhone. How many such effects could not be accomplished by other means if you didnt have an iPhone? I dont know the answer since I dont have an iPhone and dont anticipate getting one any time soon, but unless the answer is more than just a handful, whats the point (other than to show that you have an iPhone)?
Dick Christian

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 27th, 2009, 1:34 am

This must be good if Bob Kohler is planning on spending over $1700.00 to perform it*. Glad to hear it works with the much more reasonably priced iPod Touch too.

To answer your question Dick, if you already carry an iPhone (or an iPod Touch, as I do) why not have a couple of effects you can perform on it? The effect I do using my Touch uses only the built in apps (calculator and Photo app) and seems much more extemporaneous than pulling Color Monte out of my wallet.

The reason for doing iPod/iPhone magic is the same as the reason people do magic with currency, rubber bands, and Post-Its. Because they (and it) are part of the environment. The tricks don't need to be seen by dozens of people, just the right people.

I seem to recall that Nate Leipzig did the torn and restored cigarette paper on stage. I'm no Leipzig but I can certainly play to half a dozen people with something the size of a deck of cards.

* - lowest cost plan for an iPhone with required data plan and no text messaging.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 27th, 2009, 1:39 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Apple iPhone App = the new version of the one-trick DVD.

Actually Richard, most iPhone magic apps are free or inexpensive, so a better analogy would be a small one trick manuscript like Twilight, or On The Up and Up. Only not so expensive because the cost of reproduction is lower than paper.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 27th, 2009, 6:22 am

Dick Christian wrote:I still contend that despite their apparent poularity, such effects are of limited utility to anyone who typically performs for audiences instead of individuals

And yet you form this opinion after not trying any of the apps and not even owning an iPhone.

Sound.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 27th, 2009, 8:17 am

There's a fun video of a phone trick where an animated figure seems to be pushing the phone around the table from inside the phone.

Beyond that - probably have to borrow the phone to make the stuff effective and that's already been discussed along with the lack of programs for the Windows CE and Android OS's used on other phones.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Dick Christian

Postby Dick Christian » October 27th, 2009, 3:00 pm

mrgoat wrote:
Dick Christian wrote:I still contend that despite their apparent poularity, such effects are of limited utility to anyone who typically performs for audiences instead of individuals

And yet you form this opinion after not trying any of the apps and not even owning an iPhone.

True. I don't have an iPhone and have tried none of the apps. I base my opinion on the fact that 90+% of my performances are stand-up, cabaret/platform or stage presentations for audiences of from 25-30 to several hundred and I have a hard time visualizing how an iPhone (or an iPod which don't have either) any iPhone magic can be used to good advantage in those situations. In addition, given what I glean from the ads for those devices regarding their capabilities the idea of using a device that is likely to suggest to the observer that it is the device and not the performer that is actually doing the trick is a prospect that just doesn't excite me.

Just stating why the idea doesn't appeal to me. It's not my goal to convert anyone. If iPhone magic rings your chimes, be my guest. At least you won't have to worry about me trying to compete with you in the performance of iPhone magic.
Last edited by Dick Christian on October 27th, 2009, 3:01 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: correct typo
Dick Christian

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”