card book recomendations

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
HannahMagic

card book recomendations

Postby HannahMagic » October 6th, 2009, 5:10 pm

i've only been doing magic for a couple of years. i've read alot of the beginners books. can anyone recomend some more advanced card magic books?

erdnasephile

Re: card book recomendations

Postby erdnasephile » October 6th, 2009, 5:12 pm

The Card College series is oustanding and has enough material to keep you busy for years and years.

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » October 6th, 2009, 11:34 pm

Totally agree with Card College. What I like about it is as you progress through the volumes the skill level kicks up. Depending on your skill level at this point you may want to check out V4 or V5.
Peace, Joe

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » October 7th, 2009, 1:11 am

When I first got got card college I skipped the material that I believed I already knew. With the exception of the top change and other techniques in 1 and 2 that I considered at my level, I basically jumped right into Vol. 3.

Big mistake.

Even if (I would say especially if) you've been executing the material in the first few volumes for years; there is a wealth of information that will make your handling of that material cleaner, more deceptive, and which will enhance all of your card technique.

Giobbi is a rare combination a rich academic/theoretical/literary knowledge of magic, immense practical experience performing for real people, and a strong gut-sense for great magic. The finesse he brings (or calls your attention to) with items as basic as removing the cards from the box, holding the deck, getting and keeping a break...they're the kind of details that -- taken together -- are the difference between subconscious 'I-don't-know-what-happened-but-something-feels-wrong' and the sense that "he did nothing, and the magic just happened" (cf. the anecdote about Ramsay in the epigraph to Carneycopia).

I've found working through volume I to be very worthwhile, and recommend it regardless of your current knowledge base.

N.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » October 7th, 2009, 12:26 pm

Don't, whatever you do - don't - think of any of the many books I've written JUST FOR YOU!! If you insist, you can go to my new magic website - harryloraynemagic.com and check out what's available. Best - HARRY L.

Andrew Phillips

Postby Andrew Phillips » October 7th, 2009, 6:46 pm

I have to agree with Harry he has written some of the best books on the subject!

Return to “General”