New Theater Show "Radnevsky's Real Magic" In NYC

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Todd Robbins

New Theater Show "Radnevsky's Real Magic" In NYC

Postby Todd Robbins » September 24th, 2009, 9:55 pm

A very intriguing show will be coming to NYC for a run this October. The show is called Radnevsky's Real Magic and features the return of an enigmatic figure from the past. Anton Radnevsky vanished from the scene in New York several decades ago and this is being billed as his triumphant return. I heard quite a bit about him when I moved to New York back in the early 1980s have always wanted to see him work, and will now get my chance with this new show. He has partnered up with the avant-garde theater troupe Talking Band. They are known for their innovative work, and adding in the spellbinding story driven magic that Radnevsky was known for could result in a wonderful theatrical creation. I am looking forward to show. It should answers a lot of questions.

Here is a short documentary about the show for which I did the narration.

http://talkingband.org/radnevsky/documentary.html

Todd

Greg Edmonds

Re: New Theater Show "Radnevsky's Real Magic" In NYC

Postby Greg Edmonds » September 25th, 2009, 9:56 am

Sounds fascinating, Todd, and anyone who gets an endorsement from Charles Reynolds has to be worth a look. Nice voiceover work, too, by the way.

Greg Edmonds

Dennis Kyriakos

Postby Dennis Kyriakos » September 28th, 2009, 9:52 am

Thanks for posting about the show, Todd. And you're right we'll be answering a lot of questions.

THE RETURN OF RADNEVSKY

After three decades away, legendary underground magician The Great Radnevsky is returning to the New York stage in a never-before-seen magic show, Radnevsky's Real Magic.

Radnevsky disappeared from New York in 1976, after an audience member tragically died at a preview performance at La Mama. The show never opened. Now, with the help of master magician Peter Samelson, Radnevsky is back at La Mama, and ready to complete the circle.

Joining The Great Radnevsky is Harry Telkhines, Radnevsky's protege and a rising talent in the world of magic. Together they two bring to the stage a combination of innovative and classic illusion.

Produced in collaboration with downtown theater company Talking Band, the show blends the group's masterful avant-garde storytelling with Radnevsky's stunning talents. In a performance both magic show and play, Radnevsky weaves a captivating web of illusion and narrative, opening windows within windows, where all is not what it seems.

Visit http://www.talkingbang.org/radnevsky for more information. You can also view a short documentary about Anton Radnevksy's return, rare archival footage of his mentor, Janos Gacs, and much more.

Radnvensky's Real Magic
October 9th thru 25th @ La Mama
74 East 4th Street in New York City

For tickets call 212-475-7710 or visit https://www.ovationtix.com/trs/cal/42

Discount tickets are available for Genii Forum members. Enter promo code "MAGIC09" when purchasing on-line. This code is good for the entire run of the show. Tickets are on-sale now.

Be a part of history...The Great Radnevsky's triumphant return to the stage!

Thanks and we'll see you at Radnevsky's Real Magic.

HT

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » October 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm

[font:Book Antiqua] [size:14pt]
Yesterday with my friends Michael Patrick and John Born, I saw Radnevsky's Real Magic at La MaMa E.T.C. (74 East 4th Street) in NYC. The show is a magic play that stars Peter Samelson, Dennis Kyriakos and features Luke Gopnik.

I think its Peters most ambitious work to date and recommend that anyone interested in magic as theater go and see it.

Eric DeCamps

[/size][/font]

Dennis Kyriakos

Postby Dennis Kyriakos » October 20th, 2009, 10:26 pm

FINAL WEEK OF PERFORMANCES for RADNEVSKY'S REAL MAGIC

I loved this show: it's a grand, exciting, intimate magic show, performed in the First Floor Theatre in La MaMa, which means that especially in the first several rows you are closer to the magicians than you're likely ever to have been. Because it's a Talking Band show, you know that there's ever more than meets the eye here than in any regular magic show; writer/director Paul Zimet inserts layers of narrative and story and allusion and illusion on top of and between and around the layers that an ordinary magic show naturally has. It's not postmodernly self-conscious, like a latter-day Penn & Teller show; instead it's meta, a show about magic in all of its various meanings and conjurations. It's a show where you're never completely sure who is the magician and who is the assistant, or more to the point, who is fooling whom. Is everyone in the room just a willing accomplice to the nefarious manipulations of a guy with a magic wand?

Read Martin Denton's entire review at NYTHEATRE.COM

Thanks to John Born, Eli Bosnick, Eric DeCamps, Bob Fitch, Matt Holtzclaw, Imam, Mark Mitton, Prakash Puru, Charles and Regina Reynolds, and all who joined us for the first two weeks of Radnevksy's Real Magic.

We start our third and final week of performances tomorrow, Wednesday, October 21st.

Visit http://www.talkingbang.org/radnevsky for more information.

Radnvensky's Real Magic
October 9th thru 25th @ La Mama
74 East 4th Street in New York City

For tickets call 212-475-7710 or visit https://www.ovationtix.com/trs/cal/42

Discount tickets are still available for Genii Forum members. Enter promo code "MAGIC09" when purchasing on-line.

Thanks and we'll see you at the show!

HT

Stetson

Postby Stetson » October 23rd, 2009, 11:43 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing the show this Sunday!

Return to “Buzz”