Genii ( May 1984)

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
John Pezzullo

Genii ( May 1984)

Postby John Pezzullo » January 8th, 2002, 2:10 am

I recently purchased a small number (actually it was 230) of old magic magazines - issues of "Genii", "Magigram", and "Magic Manuscript" - at the bargain basement price of 50 cents (Australian) per issue. Given the current exchange rate that's about 25 cents (US) each! A small price to pay for a whole lot of education and enjoyment.

The May 1984 issue contains a number of interesting things:

A report on the FFFF convention (April 1984) written by Max Maven, in which he writes the following about Bob Stencel:

"For many, this was the first opportunity to see Bob work. He is a real character, in the best sense of that term, and his work is terrific. Of particualr interest was a 'Cards to Pocket' handling, and also his version of the J. C. Wagner 'Torn and Restored Card'. At the close of the convention, Bob Stencel was awarded with a trophy, having been voted that honor by the rest of the registrants, as the man who had contributed most to this year's affair."

Can anybody provide any information about Bob Stencel and his magic? I'm aware that Richard published some of his material in "Richard's Almanac".

Also in the FFFF report:

"Richard 'Moo-Moo' Kaufman followes, to prove he can actually do the tough stuff."

Well done Richard!

And finally....

An advertisement on page 385 for "The Amazing Skeet Feat" (Greg Eanes). The desription of the effect reads like Chad Long's effect with playing cards and a toy dart gun.

John Pezzullo

Re: Genii ( May 1984)

Postby John Pezzullo » January 8th, 2002, 2:15 am

Oops...two typos in the above posting:

'followes' should read 'followed'
'desription' should read 'description'

John 'The Proofreader' Pezzullo

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 8th, 2002, 9:34 pm

John, I well remember that convention, because Bob Stencel was in my hotel room blowing up balloon doggies (a great passion of his) after doing some of the most fantastic card magic. Stencel actually woke up the guys sleeping in the adjoining room because of the balloons squeaking as he twisted them!
That version of Wagner's Torn and Restored card he did really blew us all away. Then he taught it to everyone! It was quite something, and not nearly as tough as Guy's "Reformation."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » January 9th, 2002, 1:58 am

Richard,

Do you if Bob Stencel is still involved in magic at all?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 9th, 2002, 5:32 pm

Last time I spoke with him he was fighting diabetes, and that was several years ago (at least). A charming and eccentric man who does wonderful magic.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “General”