"Soft" coins

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

"Soft" coins

Postby Guest » November 11th, 2001, 7:55 am

This question has probably been posted before, but I am having trouble finding the information I need. I am working on a routine that will require "soft" coins. (Not Three-Fly btw) I am using 4 old Walking Liberty Halves. They look nice, but they're not soft enough. I have heard that there is a way to wear them down and soften them up manually. Anybody know? I would prefer to do this if I can. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie

Re: "Soft" coins

Postby Guest » November 11th, 2001, 11:56 am

The best soft coins are Barber Heads. As far as wearing them down yourself, a coin dealer once told me to carry them around with other change, which is fine if you want to wait 37 years.
Use Barber Heads, they're the best.

Postby Guest » November 11th, 2001, 4:22 pm

Jamie, if you wish to continue using the Liberties, email me. I have a number of soft liberties. I've done a lot of work (in my mind) on how to make coins soft. I have a metalworking background, so it's great interest to me. If the coins are already worn some, I have a method of making them quieter. If they aren't worn, the method I have doesn't work as well. For instance, I recently took some Morgan Dollars that were of the scrap variety, but they were not all that quiet amongst each other. After I finished, you couldn't tell I had worked on them and they were twice as quiet as when I started.

I will continue to work on methods to do this, and it's a real challenge. It's easy to do, but to do it in a fairly timely manner and have a consistant finish is another story.

Email me if you want some liberties. I think I paid about $2.50 each for them. Cover that + postage and they are yours.

P.S. - I have not altered the soft Liberties I have. They are simply worn coins.

[ November 11, 2001: Message edited by: Steve S. ]

Todd Lassen

Postby Todd Lassen » November 16th, 2001, 6:36 am

Jamie, you can find the really soft walking liberty halfs at your local coin shop. They are a bit harder to find and you may have to look through a few piles, but they are in there. If you cant find them, I have quite a few. They will look so much nicer than coins you soften up yourself. I make shells out of them too. And yes, the barbers are excellent soft coins. Cheers.

Postby Guest » November 17th, 2001, 11:16 am

Thanks for the info.
I actually found that using a certain type of sandpaper (not sure exacly what kind, but it was a softer grade) and a little water worked real well. It only took me about an hour to do 4 coins and they look great. They are very soft, and they still retain a lot of the color and features of the coins (You can still tell they are Walking Liberties) It certainly beats trying to find already worn coins that look similar.

Jamie

Mr. Alexander

Postby Mr. Alexander » September 3rd, 2009, 11:04 pm

Todd I am looking for a shell to match my set of soft coins, mine are very worn do you think you can accomodate them. They are 1918 walking liberty.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”