Radio Light?

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Tabman

Radio Light?

Postby Tabman » August 15th, 2009, 11:02 pm

Stewart James refers to an effect called The Radio Light sometime around the early 1940s. I've been trying to find out some info on it to no avail and Im wondering if there's anyone here who might be able to at least point me in the right direction. Thanks mucho.

-=El Tab

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Re: Radio Light?

Postby Joe Pecore » August 15th, 2009, 11:25 pm

Alexander says that something by that name was advertised by Abbott's in the June, 1935 Linking Ring and Sphinx stating it was originated by F. M. Knoderer.

Later ads state: " An ordinary light bulb is freely examined, or a light bulb may be removed from any socket and handed to magician. The light bulb is now held at the extreme finger tips and at the command of the spectator it LIGHTS! And when we say LIGHTS we mean the bulb lights just the same way that it would if placed in an ordinary light socket and the button snapped on. With the bulb still lighted, spectator may command it to go out, which it does and at any time the bulb is handed out for inspection positively no exchange. There is no movement on the part of the performer; no pushing concealed switches; can be performed with coat removed and arms bared. No exchange of bulb."
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » August 15th, 2009, 11:40 pm

Thanks Joe for taking the time to help me out. Knoderer is the name associated with it by Stewart James. He said that Knoderer would go into a bar, have a few brews and start lighting up beer bottles. There has to be a few of these laying around someplace.

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » August 16th, 2009, 5:04 pm

MY friend Bob Lambacher used to also do this is bars. He came up with his own mechanism. Lets just say this was not something you wanted to do in the rain.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Tabman

Postby Tabman » August 17th, 2009, 4:20 pm

Thanks Richard, I'd like to see one of those rigs. Im not thinking about making anything like that but I'm reading my way through the first big James book and it caught my eye.

-=tab

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » August 17th, 2009, 9:40 pm

I have to take him to doctor tomorrow. I will see what information I can glean. He is still pretty secretive about it though.

Richard
Richard Hughes

www.hughesmagic.com

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 18th, 2009, 9:18 am

Like the tea kettle, thimble and cigarette the incandesent bulb is just about obsolete. Probably time to get those tricks out into the literature before folks understand just how powerful LED's are these days.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bob Gerdes

Postby Bob Gerdes » August 18th, 2009, 11:16 am

Tabman

Postby Tabman » August 18th, 2009, 11:41 am

hugmagic wrote:I have to take him to doctor tomorrow.

Gotta do our part. You're a good man to help him.

Bob Gerdes wrote:Speaking of which:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvkgnnuzyyI

Thank you, Bob.

-=tab

(added with edit) Just watched the video. I think I would have put the LED a little higher into the unit. You could also put a reed switch into it ala the SY Lamp we made years ago. Soon there will be no secrets left I guess.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”