Philip & Henry Support and Sell Exposure

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Vick

Philip & Henry Support and Sell Exposure

Postby Vick » July 31st, 2009, 4:06 pm

http://www.philipandhenry.com/masked-ma ... index.html

Philip & Henry will send a "masked magician" to a party to expose effects under the guise of teaching (after the guests guess at how it's done)

Same outfit is trying to give bottom feeders a year contract at $80 to $100 a show

Sorry had to vent and this needs to come out

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Re: Philip & Henry Support and Sell Exposure

Postby NCMarsh » July 31st, 2009, 10:51 pm

Children and adults alike can learn magic tricks from our masked magician . We also offer magic workshops that are built around the premise that learning is fun and with a little practice---anyone can be an amazing magician like our masked magician . The workshop begins with Philip and Henrys magician showing the class a special magic trick then giving the participants a chance to guess how it was done. Then, when the secret is revealed, the magician will patiently teach them how it was appropriately done.

It sounds like clever marketing of a fairly standard magic class.

Keith Raygor

Postby Keith Raygor » August 1st, 2009, 12:18 pm

I'm guessing that they tracked the keyword 'masked magician' and it led enough people to the P&H site that someone there is trying to capitalize on those searchers. Am I surprised P&H would use this strategy? No. But I wouldn't associate myself with them either.

There is a new, local magic dealer in a tourist area that has decided his best strategy is to give away the secrets to each trick as part of his demonstration process. He teaches his staff the same technique. For the one trick I use that he sells, the number of kids in the audience shouting out the 'secret' he's given them has been amazing over the past few months since he opened his doors.

"I know how that's done - the guy at the magic store told us!". Yes, I did have to change my show, thanks to another fellow 'professional'.

Direct exposure from a dealer for the sole purpose of making a sale is slimy.
P&H's version also includes party-goers that show up not expecting to learn magic.
www.KeithTheMagician.com
www.TheMusicalMindreader.com

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » August 1st, 2009, 12:59 pm

Selling a "magic class" is far different from simply exposing tricks to people who attend a party. They are not "students" who chose to attend a class; they are guests and should be treated accordingly.

Now, as to the idiot running the magic shop (certainly far from being a "professional") - the clever magic shop operators that I knew only showed the secret to the buyer after money was collected and then to the buyer alone. It was not given away to the group watching the demo. The response from your audience seems to suggest this as not all of them can be buyers.

One of the prime motivators for amateurs buying magic is to learn the secret. Smart dealers always understood this and experienced pitchment ALWAYS knew it.

Sometimes the secret is a tribute to human ingenuity and sometimes that ingenuity is evident in the presentation/demo by the dealer. Either way, learning the secret was always part of the motivation to buy the trick. Dont expect this clown to be around long as with a business plan like this he cant really surviveor, at least, we can hope.

Finally, like Keith, I never wanted to have any association with Phillip and Henry as years ago I heard what they paid versus what they charged. Their latest attempt at marketing only reinforces that opinion.

Keith Raygor

Postby Keith Raygor » August 1st, 2009, 4:05 pm

David Alexander wrote:It was not given away to the group watching the demo. The response from your audience seems to suggest this as not all of them can be buyers.

I have watched his demos a couple times, and that of his employees. I've seen them demo from the public area of the mall, outside the shop and give the secrets away to all that watch in an effort to attract attention - even the shoppers with no interest in magic learn the secrets. This is also a performer that has hung out his shingle for shows. I don't get that he doesn't get it.

Sometimes I ignore the bottom-feeders and sometimes it gets to be too much. I have yet to decide if a conversation with him will bring about positive results as I'm sure he is already aware of his actions and their consequences on others, as well as to his bottom line. I assume he believes his bottom line is increased due to his approach and other considerations end there.

I have the same thoughts about P&H.
www.KeithTheMagician.com

www.TheMusicalMindreader.com

Mark Pettey

Postby Mark Pettey » August 1st, 2009, 11:29 pm

I live in the same town as Keith. I was contacted when the place in questiion first opened and asked if I was interested in working the counter. I went down for a look-see.

I was absolutely astounded to see how the demos were conducted in this shop. I found out the owner is also exposing basic sponge ball moves to make the sale of sponge ball DVD kits.

While I was at the shop, I pointed out some of the beginners close-up effects the guy had in the glass case under the counter. When I asked how they were selling, he admitted he didn't know how to perform them, and asked if I could show him how they worked !

When word got around that the shop was opening here this past winter, I was excited. A magic shop just minutes from my house ! Too good to be true ! That is exactly what it was. After seeing what was going on, I walked out the door and never went back.

I guess this guy could be labeled "The Masked Retailer".

To stay on topic, I have avoided P&H. Too many have warned me of the low money and last minute cancellations. I hope that this new "masked" trend is just a way to sell magic classes for birthday parties. I have spoken with some who do this in other cities, and they don't give away the farm. I pray this is what P&H has in mind....
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
ROBBiE the RiNGMASTER'S
CiRCUS of MAGiC!

Matt Sedlak

Postby Matt Sedlak » August 2nd, 2009, 9:46 pm

David Alexander wrote:ow, as to the idiot running the magic shop (certainly far from being a "professional") - the clever magic shop operators that I knew only showed the secret to the buyer after money was collected and then to the buyer alone. It was not given away to the group watching the demo. The response from your audience seems to suggest this as not all of them can be buyers.

One of the prime motivators for amateurs buying magic is to learn the secret. Smart dealers always understood this and experienced pitchment ALWAYS knew it.

Although maybe the guy is onto something. We all know that someone can see something at a magic shop and just go home and look up the secret on the internet. Perhaps this will help him to gain back some of those lost sales. Rather than having a bunch of customers who can't wait to get out the door so they can get home and learn the secret (although most people probably have the ability to look it up right there across the counter from the dealer) he has some customers who are sitting there knowing the method and perhaps more focused on actually buying the thing. Especially if they realize it is something they will have to buy and not make themselves. Also, once the dealer loses them to the internet he probably wont make the sale. Prices on the internet are generally cheaper so the big thing the dealer has going for him is impatience. There isn't a wait on shipping. But once they get home...well people are lazy and they will wait. I can see this working if combined with a good selection of tricks to combat the anticlimactic nature of most methods.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » August 3rd, 2009, 12:25 am

When Tim Felix of Midwest Magic, Sandy Marshall of Magic, Inc, and whoever is running the various magic shops in Vegas and New York take this approach, I'll change my mind.

Until then, I stand by my opinion.

Return to “General”