On Throw Streamers...

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Ray Eden

On Throw Streamers...

Postby Ray Eden » July 6th, 2009, 4:32 pm

I've had a package of Throw Streamers sitting in my magic closet for nigh on to five years now. My problem is that I've really not found a reliable way to use them, and I have no one that I know of in my area of the world who can help. I would be interested in hearing about various body loads, throwing techniques and anything else that can be offered regarding this prop.

Thanks!

Ray Eden

Re: On Throw Streamers...

Postby Ray Eden » July 10th, 2009, 11:07 am

Before this gets lost in the shuffle... is there anyone who can offer some practical advice on this subject?

matthew w

Postby matthew w » July 28th, 2009, 1:36 am

I do the jumbo diminishing cards with a throw streamer. Each time the cards shrink the size before goes into a top hat on my table. The throw streamers are sitting ready to go behind the top hat. After the second smallest size goes in, I make the steal. After the last ones go in, I ask the audience "Can you see them?" Then I toss.

Ray Eden

Postby Ray Eden » July 28th, 2009, 4:15 am

Thanks Matt. How many do you use? and what kind of "confinement" package are you using before throwing?

I'd like to hear about some possible body loads for the throw streamers.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 29th, 2009, 12:24 am

I wanted to add throw streamers to my kids show so I bought a package of Cresey streamers and I worked on an idea and way to use them. The problem I kept having in rehersal was the Cresey streamers are very fragile and if one roll falls out the whole package is basically shot.

Of course you can, with patience, repair it. But if this happens during performance you are ruined. And guess what, it did happen to me during performance.

My conclusion is that the Cresey style streamers are just too delicate for me to pack, transpost, and then make an effective steal.

I now use a little bag streamer from Japan. You can transport them anywhere, anyway you like and they are ready when you get to the venue and will stay ready. And, I've not yet had a problem with them falling apart during a steal which is a major hazard of the Cresey streamers.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Ray Eden

Postby Ray Eden » July 29th, 2009, 5:27 am

Yep... that's my experience too, Ryan. Are the streamers you're using now from SEO? if not... what company are they from?

matthew w

Postby matthew w » July 29th, 2009, 2:48 pm

I don't use Cresey Streamers. I don't like them. When I was using them, I would not set them up like the package says. I simply leave them they way they are when you remove one from the package. With one hand, simply push the rolls through the outside ring. The ring should be around 2 or 3 fingers. Then simply throw.

I use the cheap ones from india. They look like the SEO streamers. I open them up (break the seal) and tear away some of the excess paper so it is 100% ready to toss, no need to use 2 hands.

Ray Eden

Postby Ray Eden » July 29th, 2009, 4:49 pm

Can you give a brand name for the cheap ones from India?

matthew w

Postby matthew w » July 29th, 2009, 5:49 pm

I think they are made by FunTime Magic, I am not 100 percent certain.

There are also ones that Robbins distributes that are the exact same as the Viking Brand streamers in terms of quality.

Look up the terms "Throw Streamers" on the big auction site (not sure if links are allowed, the other forum I post at does not) to find white ones with pink bands. Those are the Robbins ones.

"Throw Coils" will find you the ones from India. They come in red, white and mylar. I use the red ones.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 30th, 2009, 2:24 am

Yes, the ones I've been experiementing with are from SEO magic. 'Party Flash streamers' They are very expensive. Not sure if it's worth it if you are doing a lot of shows. You have to decide that I guess...

They are extremely good and reliable though.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Ray Eden

Postby Ray Eden » July 30th, 2009, 5:31 am

I'm going to give the SEO streamers a try. I'm using Snow Storm packets from them that I love.

Thanks for the info regarding the streamers from India, Matt.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”