FISM in UK 2012 ??

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: FISM in UK 2012 ??

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 29th, 2009, 12:06 pm

Just because Blackpool is the only FISM entity to offer to host the convention doesn't mean that it's a done deal. If enough delegates vote "no," the International President can then solicite offers from other cities.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » July 29th, 2009, 12:13 pm

if they are fliers, there very low key.
usualy there are glossy brochures, and folders to entice you. Not an a4 sheet of white paper.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 29th, 2009, 12:44 pm

As taken DIRECTLY off the official Blackpoo(l) registration form.

"blackpoomagic.com"

naquada

Postby naquada » July 29th, 2009, 1:27 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Just because Blackpool is the only FISM entity to offer to host the convention doesn't mean that it's a done deal. If enough delegates vote "no," the International President can then solicite offers from other cities.

correct.. they still need over 50% of the vote which takes place TOMORROW...

they are the only bid (rumors of norway or denmark bidding on other forums are false)

as Richard said, if the vote is below the required mark they can call for another venue
Member of The Magic Circle
www.magicconventionguide.com

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » July 29th, 2009, 2:17 pm

While it is a funny and ironic typo, the correct address is www.blackpoolmagic.com.

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » July 29th, 2009, 2:26 pm

David Alexander wrote:While it is a funny and ironic typo, the correct address is www.blackpoolmagic.com.

Ironic indeed!
The MacGician®

AJM

Postby AJM » July 29th, 2009, 3:13 pm

By Blackpool standards, an A4 sheet of white paper IS a glossy brochure. :-)

It would be interesting to find out the actual dates for 2012:
- if it's planned for this time of year then accommodation will be hard to come by (hard to believe but true!)
- if it's planned for Feb/March time then will FISM effectively replace/extend the annual convention?

Cheers

Andrew

Ralph Mackintosh

Postby Ralph Mackintosh » July 29th, 2009, 3:28 pm

How come when I type in the address www.fism.2012.org as noted on the Blackpool flyer I get a message that says "Related searches: End of the World"? Ironic???

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » July 29th, 2009, 4:17 pm

I think it's supposed to be http://www.fism2012.org/ (no period between fism and 2012)
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » July 29th, 2009, 5:50 pm

A 'who is' search lists Craig Mitchell as the owner of fism2012.org
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 29th, 2009, 5:54 pm

Ralph Mackintosh wrote:How come when I type in the address www.fism.2012.org as noted on the Blackpool flyer I get a message that says "Related searches: End of the World"? Ironic???

HEH... 2012'ers believe that the world will end that year based upon the Mayan calender.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 29th, 2009, 5:59 pm

Irish Magician wrote:A 'who is' search lists Craig Mitchell as the owner of fism2012.org

And... FISM2012.com points to Genii

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » July 29th, 2009, 6:10 pm

And I now own Fism2015.org net and com ;)

(He says with sarcasm)
Brendan

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 29th, 2009, 7:13 pm

I think I'll just cut tothe chase and get FismForever.com ;-)

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 30th, 2009, 2:01 am

The staff of FISM Blackpool 2012 tell me that they got permission to start taking registrations ahead of the actual voting - "because it's a forgone conclusion, you know, that we get it"

Such wonderful respect they have for the General Assembly.

Now wouldn't it be a shocker if the General Assembly actually vote no and ask for an alternative bid ?

Francesca Moffet

Postby Francesca Moffet » July 30th, 2009, 4:25 am

Craig Mitchell wrote:The staff of FISM Blackpool 2012 tell me that they got permission to start taking registrations ahead of the actual voting - "because it's a forgone conclusion, you know, that we get it"

Such wonderful respect they have for the General Assembly.

Now wouldn't it be a shocker if the General Assembly actually vote no and ask for an alternative bid ?

They are going to look awfully stupid if the vote doesn't go in their favour.

I have my fingers crossed that FISM is not held in Blackpool, every day I spent there was like an eternity in Hell.

No offence to anyone who lives there but it is a complete dump in my opinion.
Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, and they both take practice.

naquada

Postby naquada » July 30th, 2009, 4:46 am

a venue and convention is normally what you make it :)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 30th, 2009, 5:09 am

naquada wrote:a venue and convention is normally what you make it :)

That's not *really* true.

A convention needs to have 'stuff' around it.

- Decent accomodation, not 20 quid a night awful B&Bs.
- Good places to eat, representing the diverse tastes of international visitors
- Easy transport links, not a 6 hour train journey after you've just done a 12hour flight

etc etc

This is not mentioning the slightly inbred, mental, pikey locals in the town. :)

naquada

Postby naquada » July 30th, 2009, 5:22 am

well in a way yes...

the hotel we normally stay in is ok.. ok its not the the hilton or similar but its ok.. it has a bed. a shower, a toilet a good breakfast and walking distance to the convention center. It was fre WIFI, parking and a good bar..

you can fly from say new york to belfast and then over to blackpool, blackpool airport is then 12 minutes from the center of blackpool.

but your right about some of the locals...

we'll have an extensive hotel list/guide/flights etc on our site over the next few years for 2012 (gosh that sounds like a long time!!)

but i do think that providing the magic is good, the company is good.. your only in bed for a short amount of time.. I've never really had a problem with blackpool..

Francesca Moffet

Postby Francesca Moffet » July 30th, 2009, 6:10 am

mrgoat wrote:This is not mentioning the slightly inbred, mental, pikey locals in the town. :)

I can second that, last time I was in Blackpool a drunken ladette who was wearing an outfit that should have been burned for indecency tried to drag me into a bar with her when I was walking back to my hotel.

It left a lasting impression....not a good one. Now I associate Blackpool with drunkeness, tacky things and being generally rundown and rubbishy.
Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, and they both take practice.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 30th, 2009, 6:25 am

naquada wrote:well in a way yes...

the hotel we normally stay in is ok.. ok its not the the hilton or similar but its ok.. it has a bed. a shower, a toilet a good breakfast and walking distance to the convention center. It was fre WIFI, parking and a good bar..

I think the most important magic convention we have can do better than "ok" for a hotel. Don't you?

Blackpool has nothing to recommend it to host this event, apart from the fact that they put on a magic convention every year. Where people complain about the hotels, the infrastructure, the locals, the food, the bars, etc etc etc.

:D

Francesca Moffet

Postby Francesca Moffet » July 30th, 2009, 6:50 am

This has just been posted on another magic forum...

I am pleased to officially announce that Blackpool Magicians' Club have been awarded the prestigious honour of hosting the 2012 FISM World Championships of Magic in the UK.

More information and registration details will be posted soon at http://www.blackpoolmagic.com

Regards
Andrew Green
Assistant Convention Organiser
Blackpool Magicians' Club

Guess that's the speculation over now.

naquada

Postby naquada » July 30th, 2009, 6:58 am

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » July 30th, 2009, 8:28 am

mrgoat wrote:Blackpool has nothing to recommend it to host this event, apart from the fact that they put on a magic convention every year.

The magic convention they put on every year just happens to be the largest in the world, and consistently attracts more registrants than any other convention ever organised by anyone.

The nearest international airport is Manchester and you can get a train direct from Manchester airport direct to Blackpool - about an hour's journey.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 30th, 2009, 9:23 am

So - Blackpool officially got the vote with an overwhelming majority at the General Assembly.

But let's analyse what we are getting ourselves in for...

*An ancient convention centre that appears as if its from the 19th century and hasn't seen a spot of paint since.

*Not a single international standard hotel within walking distance ( and ask Richard what he thinks of the supposed 4 star Hilton hotel if you don't believe me )

*A city that is widely regarded as the dump of England. And if you think Fawlty Towers is an exaggeration - you have ZERO idea.

*An event which is taking place a month before the Olympics ( the organisers did not know the dates of the Olympics when asked and announced that they think that this shouldn't be an issue after looking it up. You 'think' it won't be an issue - that's reassuring ) Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news - but watch hotels & airfares skyrocket. And please don't tell us that we will fly into Manchester - 90% of international flights are to Gatwick or London Heathrow.

*An organising committee who cannot spell their own name ( www.blackpoomagic.com or have any fundamental understanding of how to type a URL "www.fism.2012.org" - is NOT a website. To register for the Blackpool convention - you need to handwrite a registration form and send a fax. This is the 21st century.

*The organisers of the 25th World Championships of Magic did not have enough bid books for the delegates ( and many who voted had not even seen the bid book until 5 minutes before voting. How then do you accurately assess the bid ? ) Their bid book has to quite categorically be the worst document I have seen in my life. Does professionalism ever come into the picture ... it was a physical cut and paste color-photocopied booklet ( with the jagged lines of the cut & paste still visible ) looking as if it had been type set in 1970 ( complete with skew text ). If this is how you present your bid to the world - what possible level of committment and professionalism can we expect? But even more scarily is that they are completely oblivious as to just how cheap and nasty Blackpool is - or that the quality of their efforts thus far is simply sub-standard.

Those who point out the usual Blackpool convention as a track record - completely miss the point that Blackpool's success is owed entirely to the fact that it is the cheapest mega magic convention on earth and lasts for 3 days. Those who are happy to stay in a 15 GBP b&b without hot water - are not the ones attending FISM - who are paying 450 - 550 Euros for the privilege of attending an event in a run-down Winter Gardens.

You are dealing with high level international clientele who expect world class facilities. And are paying accordingly.

How can you possibly go from the unbelievable sophistication of FISM China ( or Dresden, Den Haag or Sweden - international cities ) to that of Blackpool, England.

Unfortunately we are all going to have to find out ...

Francesca Moffet

Postby Francesca Moffet » July 30th, 2009, 9:54 am

Blackpool in Summer is not exactly great, it will be heaving with screaming kids, pikey's and chavs. I do not relish the thought of going yet I've always wanted to go to a FISM convention. I'll have to have a serious think about it now.

Wonder if they'll serve Pot Noodle at the banquet? ;)
Last edited by Francesca Moffet on July 30th, 2009, 9:57 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Typo

Quique

Postby Quique » July 30th, 2009, 10:49 am

Craig,

I don't know if you're right or wrong with your coments and reviews, but definetly you got the guts... LOL

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 30th, 2009, 11:28 am

He is right. Oh so very right. And is being nice really.

Just found this looking for pictures of Blackpool for you:

"We visited Blackpool the other day for a day out.

The sea front looks great, a very clean and modern looking design. The extras such as the disco ball, humming metal statue and others are a nice addition too. We were very impressed with this, however if you turn 180 degrees and look across the road it's like you've left civilisation and entered a war torn country!

The hotels, arcades and shops all look shocking. Most appear to be in poor repair and look quite dirty. There's litter all over the place and we were pestered by people selling paper books alledgedly for an 'old person charity', but when challenged they couldn't name it or produce genuine ID and were very rude.

We visited an arcade to have a go on a few games. When I went to use their toilet it was the most disgusting toilet I've ever seen. It had feces stuck to the door, it was dry and looked like it had been there a good while. The floor was wet, toilet roll over over the place and it stank. I was just glad that I'm male and can pee standing up, there's not a chance on earth I'd want to touch anything in there!

I know Blackpool has a reputation for cheesey nights out, but it's looking cheaper than ever before. It's all very tatty, in poor repair and dismal. It's such a shame that all that work and money is going in to making the sea front look nothing short of excellent and the place is then let down by the hotels, arcades and shops along the front that give the impression that they died long ago and are just waiting to rot away."

Ralph Mackintosh

Postby Ralph Mackintosh » July 30th, 2009, 11:36 am

Blackpool is now a MUST see convention if only to be on scene for the most "interesting" convention in a long time. Front row seats to see the sinking of the Titanic are worth the cost (of course, hopefully without any loss of human life). Hopefully, the organizers know something we don't about the construction of accommodations between now and then.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » July 30th, 2009, 11:44 am

I do hope the fact that they've won the chance to stage FISM will spur the organisers to improve the horrendous close-up performance conditions in Blackpool.

Matt Field

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » July 30th, 2009, 11:52 am

Craig Mitchell wrote:But even more scarily is that they are completely oblivious as to just how cheap and nasty Blackpool is - or that the quality of their efforts thus far is simply sub-standard.

Perhaps many of the voters are unaware of Blackpool's idiosyncrasies but Eric Eswin attended Blackpool 09. He was presented The Murray Award for outstanding service to Blackpool Magicians Club and distinguished dedication to art of magic.

ps Does anyone know the dates?
Brendan

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 30th, 2009, 12:24 pm

9 - 14 july 2012
Registration 450 Euro before 31 March 2010, 500 Euro before 31 March 2011 and thereafter 550 Euro

Marvo

Postby Marvo » July 30th, 2009, 2:04 pm

The Blackpool Convention is 90 VIP for 3 full days. 550 Euros for 5 days which is 550 at current rates doesn't seem to be a good deal.

Same venue?

AJM

Postby AJM » July 30th, 2009, 2:29 pm

9 - 14 July, 2012?

No need to worry about the crappy accommodation as there won't be any - half the population of Bonnie Scotland will be holidaying in the 'Last Vegas of the North' during that week.
Given that most stay in the same room in the same guest house during the same two weeks year after year, woe betide any landlady who books out her rooms to 'non-regulars'.

Blackpool in July is very much different to the bleak and depressing landscape we encounter each Feb/Mar - in July it's still bleak and depressing however the rain is marginally warmer and the town is full to bursting with holidaymakers who will want to do what they always do on their annual vacation - a day at the Pleasure Beach, take a tram trip, take in a show at the Winter Gardens...

Wait a minute... the Winter Gardens you say????

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » July 30th, 2009, 2:32 pm

What drives FISM location choices?

Could the China/Blackpool choices represent two more difficult to access, and uncomfortable locations?

What happened to the concept of flying directly into a city from almost anywhere in the world to attend a convention and totally enjoying oneself while at the convention.
Great magic that's been well planned and executed, excellent food, classy accommodations, friendly people, brilliant scenery or inspiring (or at least interesting) architecture?

I'll stick with Magic Live, which has all of the above.

David Scollnik

Postby David Scollnik » July 30th, 2009, 8:42 pm

Roger M. wrote:Could the China/Blackpool choices represent two more difficult to access, and uncomfortable locations?

What happened to the concept of flying directly into a city from almost anywhere in the world to attend a convention and totally enjoying oneself while at the convention.
Great magic that's been well planned and executed, excellent food, classy accommodations, friendly people, brilliant scenery or inspiring (or at least interesting) architecture?

Surely Beijing satisfies those criteria? Well, I can't speak about the magic, though it seems it would be pretty much the same regardless of the location, but it seems to me (from the various reports from magicians on site there) that it meets every other condition you set forth.

Personally, I was really hoping to attend this FISM. For FISM, and also to see Beijing. Unfortunately, events at my day job prevented me from going.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 30th, 2009, 11:00 pm

Roger, let's not even put Beijing in the same category as Blackpool.

"What happened to the concept of flying directly into a city from almost anywhere in the world to attend a convention and totally enjoying oneself while at the convention.
Great magic that's been well planned and executed, excellent food, classy accommodations, friendly people, brilliant scenery or inspiring (or at least interesting) architecture?"

FISM China has fulfilled nearly all of the above categories ( one or two issues ) and over-achieved in so many.

FISM will be regressing 20 years as we head to Blackpool in terms of facilities and destination.

Considering that this is England's opportunity of hosting the magicians of the world - they deserve better and so do we.

David Scollnik

Postby David Scollnik » July 30th, 2009, 11:59 pm

Perhaps this was already mentioned, but what is the approximate delegate count at this or recent FISM meetings? I'm thinking 2000+?

It seems to me that many excellent convention venues around the world would welcome a meeting of this size. Especially these days.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » July 31st, 2009, 1:09 am

Beijing most certainly isn't a tourist (or conventioneer) friendly destination in the manner that a town like New York, London, or Las Vegas is.

China may be interesting, it may be historic, it may be a bit of a rush to travel to because it's so "foreign".......but convenient and focused on the needs of the traveller it's most definitely not.

FISM Blackpool is just a plain old bad idea.

(looking forward to Magic Live though, Las Vegas scores 100% on every point.....even with the heat there's zero humidity and the city is purpose built to accommodate the conventioneer or traveller in even the hottest of weather).

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 31st, 2009, 1:15 am

Hi Roger - bear in mind that the convention facility in Beijing is literally brand new ( it was finished mere weeks before the start of FISM and is located in the heart of the Olympic park ... so we pretty much are self-contained within this area )

David - FISM topped out at approx 2500 people - so it's a large event ... and hence needs world class facilities ... they are anticipating upto 3000 people for Blackpool.

Return to “Buzz”