Jonathan Pendragon arrested

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tom Tourville
Favorite Magician: Daryl

Jonathan Pendragon arrested

Postby Tom Tourville » July 8th, 2009, 7:22 pm

Tom Tourville

Donal Chayce

Re: Jonathan Pendragon arrested

Postby Donal Chayce » July 8th, 2009, 7:43 pm

Oh, my... :(
The MacGician®

Gord

Postby Gord » July 8th, 2009, 8:03 pm

Wow ... just wow.

Gord

Mark Lewis

Postby Mark Lewis » July 8th, 2009, 8:30 pm

This would not have happened in Britain. In Her Majesty's Britannic Realm of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland we do not indulge in the silly American habit of having guns in the house.

Quite right too. It was lucky it was only the floor he shot at.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » July 8th, 2009, 9:09 pm

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » July 8th, 2009, 9:16 pm

One report states that bail has been set at $50,000 but that, because he's being held under a "mental health watch", he won't be able to post bail any time soon.

Unbelievable...
The MacGician®

Barefoot Boy
Favorite Magician: Kreskin

Postby Barefoot Boy » July 8th, 2009, 9:22 pm

OMG no!!
Outward sunshine; Inward joy,
Blessings on thee, Barefoot Boy.
www.mindreader.ca

Barefoot Boy
Favorite Magician: Kreskin

Postby Barefoot Boy » July 8th, 2009, 9:45 pm

My thoughts are with you, Charlotte. Call if you need to talk.
Paul Pacific
Outward sunshine; Inward joy,

Blessings on thee, Barefoot Boy.

www.mindreader.ca

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 8th, 2009, 9:51 pm

Wow.. I recently interviewed them both. I just don't know what to think.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » July 9th, 2009, 12:41 am

That's really sad. Best to both of them.

Mr. Stickley

Postby Mr. Stickley » July 9th, 2009, 1:50 am

Unbelievably sad, but then again, for me at least, not surprising. I admire them greatly, but the times I have met them, and then watching their latest DVD set (which I thought was EXTREMELY sad - almost like they were giving up), something has always seemed "off". Add to that the strange "arrow accident" (the oddest accident I have ever heard of) and the troubles with their singing show and it seems everyone has a breaking point. They're in my prayers.

Mike Rozek

Postby Mike Rozek » July 9th, 2009, 4:44 pm

This is very sad.

I heard that a fraction of a second after they put him in the back of the patrol car, he suddenly appeared on top of the car. The arresting officer was found handcuffed in the back seat wearing a different uniform.

Witnesses said that although they had all seen the trick before, none of them had seen it performed quite that fast.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » July 9th, 2009, 6:48 pm

You think he would have really shot her???

She came to see the show Mayhem with Koz and AJ at Ballys 20 yrs ago and hung out with us after. Really a nice person. Friendly and easy to get along with.

I sat with Jonathan in Salt Lake City for an hour discussing the ocean. He was pretty intense.

You hate to see her get hurt but I dont think he really would have done her in. He's in big trouble now though.

-=tabman

Terry

Postby Terry » July 9th, 2009, 7:35 pm

Psychic Lawrence wrote:This would not have happened in Britain. In Her Majesty's Britannic Realm of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland we do not indulge in the silly American habit of having guns in the house.

Quite right and that is why British crime rate has exploded. When criminals don't have to worry about homeowners or police having weapons, they get very brave.

Terry

Postby Terry » July 9th, 2009, 7:37 pm

Tabman wrote:I sat with Jonathan in Salt Lake City for an hour discussing the ocean. He was pretty intense.
-=tabman

If this was the IBM convention, I remember him getting very hot about an illusion builder who ripped off Steinmeyer's Origami and had it on display.

Mark Lewis

Postby Mark Lewis » July 9th, 2009, 8:03 pm

Don't be silly Terence. Although British crime has exploded there is very little gun crime. Having guns in the house is a bloody stupid American idea that is not allowed in any other country in the world. It leads to the sort of incident under discussion where the rather silly Jonathon personage fired into the floor and shot his career in the foot.

One kind of floor show I suppose.

As for other types of crime in Britain that is merely part of our glorious heritage.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » July 9th, 2009, 9:09 pm

Terry wrote:If this was the IBM convention, I remember him getting very hot about an illusion builder who ripped off Steinmeyer's Origami and had it on display.

That's the one. The SLC IBM Convention. I remember it as a good one. I did tech for the Pendragons during their rehersal at the theater. He was intense at rehersal too. I just took it as the whims of someone quite intelligent and artistic. In a word - moody!!

But I still don't think he would have shot her. He was just trying to make a point I suspect, like banging on a table but I really don't know either of them well enough to make more than a comment. I really have no right saying anything.

-=tabman

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 9th, 2009, 10:32 pm

magictom wrote:http://www.ksby.com/Global/story.asp?S=10664308

Sad. Moodswings. I hope he gets the help he needs.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » July 9th, 2009, 11:43 pm

As I was cutting and stacking wood all day, my mind wandered about his life, and his wife...and then I kept asking myself..."Roid rage?"

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » July 10th, 2009, 12:41 am

Psychic Lawrence wrote:Snip - Having guns in the house is a bloody stupid American idea that is not allowed in any other country in the world.

Ah, the psychic abilities didn't come through for you that time, Mark. Lots of other countries have citizen ownership of firearms.

Israel, Switzerland (one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world), Finland (about 56 firearms for every 100 citizens) Australia (over 5% of the population owns firearms) South Africa (over a million registered owners), New Zealand (over a million firearms owned in a country of just over 4 million people), a number of South American countries...lots of other places.

Mr. Stickley

Postby Mr. Stickley » July 10th, 2009, 12:50 am

Hey Lawrence...

What do you "predict" will happen?

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » July 10th, 2009, 1:17 am

Don't bring Australia into this discussion! We had a buyback to get guns out of the hands of our population. Yes, criminals can get them, but the everyday Joe can't. We like it that way!

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Postby BlueEyed Videot » July 10th, 2009, 2:10 am

Although this news pains us deeply, on the bright side, no one was hurt; so perhaps there's still time for both Jonathan and Char to get some (apparently) much needed help.

Pendragons, you're still tops in our book. Nobody does "The Trunk" better than you two and no one else will. Thank you for more than 25 years of your magic. You've given magic a lot, now perhaps it's time to let your magic friends pay you back for all the pleasure you've given us. Please let us know what we can do to help.

Get better soon,

Sincerely,

Richard & Gina Hart
The Wizard of Hearts & Co.
Tulsa, OK

the Larry

Postby the Larry » July 10th, 2009, 5:39 am

There is certainly no denying that guns in the home and guns easily purchasable dramatically increases violent crimes particularly 'rage type' crimes where somebody completely normal looses it and in that few minutes or hours commits a crime he will regret all his life. A crime he would have never committed wouldn't firearms be that accessible.

However, the availability of guns can't be the full answer. I personally believe that there is something in the culture of America, but I can't really put my finger on it, that causes a violent crime death rate unlike any other developed country in the world. I don't have the current numbers at hand but if I remember correctly then every 6 minutes or so a person dies a violent crime death in the US. It is staggering. The USA is a leading nation in so many things, but when it comes to prevention of violent crimes they are doing something awfully wrong.

KirkG

Postby KirkG » July 10th, 2009, 10:10 am

Guys,

Let's not speculate on this trying time for friends and compeers of ours during this difficult time for them. We all wish them well and hope there is a quick resolution and speedy healing for all involved.

Let us also not use this as platform for ignorant comments about guns in the home or America. I think if you check your facts you will find the most violence and gun violence where the gun laws are most strict.

Sure he could not have shot a gun in the floor if he didn't have a gun, but the issue is the problem, not the way he expressed it. He could have committed a violent act with many implements in a home.

KirkG

Postby KirkG » July 10th, 2009, 10:16 am

the Larry wrote:There is certainly no denying that guns in the home and guns easily purchasable dramatically increases violent crimes particularly 'rage type' crimes where somebody completely normal looses it and in that few minutes or hours commits a crime he will regret all his life. A crime he would have never committed wouldn't firearms be that accessible.

However, the availability of guns can't be the full answer. I personally believe that there is something in the culture of America, but I can't really put my finger on it, that causes a violent crime death rate unlike any other developed country in the world. I don't have the current numbers at hand but if I remember correctly then every 6 minutes or so a person dies a violent crime death in the US. It is staggering. The USA is a leading nation in so many things, but when it comes to prevention of violent crimes they are doing something awfully wrong.

Just for you. While I agree that you can never call back a bullet fired in anger, the same can be said of the swing of a fis, bat or toss of a knife. To extrapolate that ;to mean these things should be "unavailable", is nonsense.

Your comment, "There is certainly no denying that guns in the home and guns easily purchasable dramatically increases violent crimes...", is patently false. Check your facts and you will see that Washington DC is the highest violent crime rate and the strictest gun laws and cities where is was actually made mandatory to carry a gun the gun crime rate is way down. FBI statistics support this across the board.

Much of the "Gun Crime" in the US is drug and gang business, not just mom's and pop's loosing it. Much perpetrated by illegal aliens and their relatives. Remove that, and the numbers drop considerably.

Ray Eden

Postby Ray Eden » July 10th, 2009, 10:44 am

The amount of anti-gun propaganda in the U.S. (and elsewhere) is sickening, not to mention a blatant disregard for a piece of parchment called the "Constitution of the United States."

Much of the propaganda is done through television by basing many crime shows in New York City where gun laws are more strict. Because of this, people just believe that those gun laws apply for the entire United States. If we're not careful, they will be! I seem to recall some other men in history that wanted to take guns from the populace (King George - the order to confiscate the colonials fire arms is what STARTED the American Revolution! Dare we forget!), Stalin and Hitler.

Newspapers rarely report the number of cases of crimes that are stopped because of Americans owning and knowing how to use fire arms. There is one amusing report about Venus Ramey, the 1944 Miss America pageant winner, who stopped a couple thieves on her property by discharging two rounds into their vehicle's tire. This was a local "story of interest" because of who was holding the gun, but most stories go unreported because there is no crime or body to write about. Red blood sells black ink. This is one-sided journalism that skews the truth.

Besides the District of Columbia, check out the stats of countries that have removed guns from the hands of the citizen. Australia and the UK are great examples. Crime rates soar! Because the criminal is still going to be a criminal and still going to have the "illegal" weapon while Joe-Schmoe Good Citizen goes unarmed.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » July 10th, 2009, 10:55 am

Isn't it time to shut down this inappropriate "debate"?

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » July 10th, 2009, 10:57 am

I have the solution to the US gun problem. Allow everyone to have as many guns as they want but ban the sale of ammunition.

Ray Eden

Postby Ray Eden » July 10th, 2009, 11:02 am

Read the news... they are attempting to do just that.

Why don't we blame Jonathon Pendragon for pulling the trigger? Not the gun.

This will be my last post on this subject.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 10th, 2009, 11:46 am

Ray Eden wrote:check out the stats of countries that have removed guns from the hands of the citizen. Australia and the UK are great examples. Crime rates soar!

Got a link to prove that please? I'd love to see stats showing a rise in crime rates in the UK when guns were outlawed.

Thanks.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 10th, 2009, 11:53 am

FACT: A gun in the home increases the risk of homicide of a household member by 3 times and the risk of suicide by 5 times compared to homes where no gun is present.

(Kellerman AL, Rivara FP, Somes G, et al. Suicide in the Home in Relation to Gun Ownership. NEJM. 1992; 327(7):467-472)

FACT: Comparison of U.S. gun homicides to other industrialized countries:

In 2004 (the most recent year for which this data has been compiled), handguns murdered:

* 5 people in New Zealand
* 37 people in Sweden
* 56 people in Australia
* 184 people in Canada
* 19 people in Japan
* 73 people in the UK
* 11,344 people in the United States

Ray Eden

Postby Ray Eden » July 10th, 2009, 11:55 am

I'll send a PM tomorrow with the stats and all instead of continuing the debate in this forum.

In the meantime... type a few key words into Google: gun control, Australia, statistics. I'll also get you the name of the town mentioned in another email that had its crime rate drop to around "0" when the town council mandated that every household have a gun. Of course, I find this unconstitutional too, but it does serve as a case study.

I'll send you the info tomorrow, as its now "family time" in Finland. .-)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 10th, 2009, 12:00 pm

Ray Eden wrote:I'll send a PM tomorrow with the stats and all instead of continuing the debate in this forum.

In the meantime... type a few key words into Google: gun control, Australia, statistics. I'll also get you the name of the town mentioned in another email that had its crime rate drop to around "0" when the town council mandated that every household have a gun. Of course, I find this unconstitutional too, but it does serve as a case study.

I'll send you the info tomorrow, as its now "family time" in Finland. .-)

I can't wait to see the stats on how when the UK removed guns our crime rates soared. Really going to be interesting. Thanks.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 10th, 2009, 12:03 pm

The next person to comment on gun ownership will be banned. Period. Various sides have had their say, now shut up.

If Jonathan was that pissed off, he could have hit her in the head with a frying pan and done more damage.

Until more news develops, I don't want to see another post in this thread.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 10th, 2009, 2:45 pm

I'm tempted to post: Maybe I can get myself banned....

:)

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » July 10th, 2009, 2:54 pm

I do have some more news which I believe is relevant. Charlotte has just posted the following on Facebook:

"Painkillers, lorazepam, xanax, cymbalta, sleeping pills of all kind, viox (before it was banned), anti histamines, seroquel... Guess what happens to the human brain?"
Last edited by Jolly Roger on July 10th, 2009, 6:18 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Quoting from a public source is fine: extrapolating from the quote is not fine in this case.
www.ComicMagician.com
www.Magician.US.com
www.BestAssemblies.com
www.SpiritualStage.com

Gord

Postby Gord » July 10th, 2009, 3:50 pm

I said it before and I'll say it again.
Wow ... just wow.

Gord

Naphtalia

Postby Naphtalia » July 10th, 2009, 3:58 pm

My kindest thoughts and hopes to both Charlotte and Jonathan. This is a disturbing and sad situation.
Naphtalia

Impropriety is the soul of wit.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 10th, 2009, 4:14 pm

I hope we won't se a post by anyone breaking down drug by drug what these do. Those that interested can look on their own. Lets just hope that they come out on the other side of this stronger and better than ever.

Return to “Buzz”