COLD READNG

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

COLD READNG

Postby Guest » September 23rd, 2001, 2:05 pm

I'm in the process of developing a seance act in which there is a psychometry segment. Eleven articles of a personal nature are collected at the beginning of the seance. When the medium turns his attention to each article, before he identifies which sitter contributed it, he gives a brief reading for that person. I am not yet developed skill in cold reading. I am generally familiar with the technique but have had no practice or acquired any skill.I am familiar with the names of numerous books that are recommended for study. Kenton Knepper's "Wonder Readings" is said to require absolutely no memorization.Is anyone familiar with his method? Would it provide me with the ability to give a very short reading for a person I know nothing about.......and to continue doing the same for the other sitters,without repeating myself? And how can this be done without memorization?

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: COLD READNG

Postby Matthew Field » September 23rd, 2001, 2:55 pm

I'm not familiar with Knepper's "Wonder Readings," but I have read his "Completely Cold." This is an effective system, but I think it's probably best if it's not repeated. You might try to structure your seance so there is one cold reading,one "Ashes on the Arm" revelation (of a chosen card or something), a diary trick, a book test, etc. for some variety. Max Maven's Videomind tape series has lots of this sort of thing, as does the big T.A. Waters book.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » September 23rd, 2001, 6:20 pm

I thank Mat Field for his reply and say that I made a mistake when I mentioned "Wonder Readings". I did, indeed, mean "Completely Cold".The format for the seance is based on Lee Earls's "Manifestations" which calls for a number of short cold readings as a part of his psychometric demonstrations. I still would like to hear from anybody who has read "Completely Cold" to respond to the question I raise concerning the memorization that may be required.

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » September 23rd, 2001, 8:59 pm

Comus:

"Completely Cold" does indeed require some memorization and would require quite a bit of practice. It's advantage is that it focuses and minimizes the scope of your inquiries, but it's far from "automatic".

Ultimately, success with this method (or any method) would depend on your intellect, memory, and quick-thinking skills to determine how long it would take you to present it with extemporaneous effectiveness.

Steve H

Postby Guest » September 24th, 2001, 10:44 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steve Hook:

Ultimately, success with this method (or any method) would depend on your intellect, memory, and quick-thinking skills to determine how long it would take you to present it with extemporaneous effectiveness.

Steve,

I appreciate you reaction to "Cold Reading". I have the intellect and the memory. Thinking on my feet would probably be my weakest point. I noticed in your posting to another member that you commented on John Edwards. I have been trying to find his syndicated show on my Dish Network TV and cannot. If the name of his show "Crossings".I live in Cape Cod. Would you know the channel and time that it airs. I would think that watching him at work would give me a good idea of how a reader is "thinking on his feet".

Postby Guest » September 24th, 2001, 10:46 am

Originally posted by Steve Hook:
Comus:

"Completely Cold" does indeed require some memorization and would require quite a bit of practice. It's advantage is that it focuses and minimizes the scope of your inquiries, but it's far from "automatic".

Steve H

Return to “General”