Rubik Cubes

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
David Redfearn
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Rubik Cubes

Postby David Redfearn » April 16th, 2009, 10:05 am

Can anyone help I am looking to do an effect to a very large audience with a rubik cube. I dont want to do the standard toss into the air and its solved effect.

I would like to do a prediction type effect. If need be every one in my audience could have a cube in their hands.

I have searched my sources for any ideas and drawn a blank hope some one can help. Many thanks if you can best David Redfearn. www.davidredfearn.com

the Larry

Re: Rubik Cubes

Postby the Larry » April 16th, 2009, 12:29 pm

I have heard about a Luke Jermay effect with a Rubiks cube, but don't know if this is available somewhere, nor what it exactly is.

52facination

Postby 52facination » June 16th, 2009, 2:20 am

One very simple idea is to force a basic checker shape like an X, have the spectator mix the cube, then a couple more twists you can make the x, cross etc.

You can learn how to do this in a week or two (really). Info is all over the internet on how to solve the rubix. Still, people still tend to think it's a near impossible feat. Even if someone knows how to solve it themselves the prediction I'd think would still have a nice effect.

The kind of thing your going for could be a tricky one. Perhaps the same type of forces but put numbers or letters on the cube how you wish. For instance some card suits and numbers, and getting it to the pattern needed. Or you could do a calculator force etc. I think the real key to it all though is to learn how to solve the cube first. You can do it!

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 16th, 2009, 2:37 am

Instead of a prediction, what about a race against time? The difference would be that you solve the cube while blindfolded (or I should say blindfolded). You would, of course, need to learn one of the formulas out there to solve the cube. This way you have not confused the solving of the cubein itself quite a feat for some; doubly so while blindfoldedwith a prediction. It can play fairly big with a timekeeper and people to blindfold you, etc.

Just a thought.

Dustin

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » June 16th, 2009, 6:49 am

Check Youtube, last I looked there was a slew of Marco Tempest clips doing an effect that Keith Barry also performed. (although perhaps the methods were different)The effect was as simple as one could imagine--a number of people are given cubes to mix, and the performer mixes one, as well. One cube is chosen, and then compared to the magician's cube. They match, side-for-side.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » June 16th, 2009, 11:13 pm

Theatrically, it would seem that a prediction that takes careful examination to confirm would be kind of a buzz kill for an audience.
Now Betty, would you call off the colors on side number five?
Even with a simple visual comparison, shown on a big screen TV, youd still have six sides to confirm

Joe Skilton

Postby Joe Skilton » June 17th, 2009, 2:03 am

Bill's got a good point, but maybe this wouldn't be as big a problem in a close-up environment. I have no idea how you'd play this on stage, however!

Following up on Dustin's suggestion... If you want to learn how to legitimately solve a Rubik's Cube, I wholeheartedly recommend "How to Solve the Cube" featuring L.A. magician John George. The DVD is available at Barnes & Noble's nationwide.

John features the Rubik's solve in his show at the Magic Castle to great effect. It gets much better reactions than you'd think... frankly. I bought his DVD shortly afterward and can now solve any cube, anytime. Fun!

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » June 17th, 2009, 4:14 am

On paper, (I wonder how long that phrase has left...) I'd agree with Bill. Comparing the color sequence of six nine-colored faces on two cubes sounds like a yawner, but:

-Ever done a magic square? I rest my case.

-If the Marco Tempest clips are still up, watch `em. The comparison is just as impressive as a magic square, if not moreso, and it goes faster. If the crowd has any interest in the cubes at the start, they'll eat up the end.

I second the recommendation of anything John George puts out. He put this DVD together the hard way, by actually knowing what he's talking about. Old school.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 17th, 2009, 4:20 am

Heh. I've still got my first edition Rubik's Cube (Crimbo 1980). If you want to do the blindfold solve (probably the best idea here) get Mark Elsdon's DVD on the subject.

There are so many tutorials on the web for solving the cube (but not the one I used in 1980, as far as I can see), but I understand that Mark's is quite easy to learn.

Take care, Ian

luigimar

Postby luigimar » June 18th, 2009, 3:38 pm

Here's a link I just found. It's something Curtis Kam already suggested, though (or very similar to what he suggested).
Rubik's Cube Trick

luigimar
Last edited by luigimar on June 18th, 2009, 3:41 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Added name
luigimar

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » June 18th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Thanks luigi, here's the link to the other presentation I mentioned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxsHDRMvMTU

Jeff Stone

Postby Jeff Stone » June 22nd, 2009, 2:53 am

Osterlind has a cool take on the blind-folded solve. I actually open my stand up act with just a standard straight up legitimate solving of the cube.

My stand up show is pretty much comedy mentalism. I start of with a few gag/joke prediction bits while the cube is being passed around the audience.

When I take it back, I make a few comments about how impossible most people feel these are to solve, but with the right focus, and practice, you can accomplish anything. By the time I've delivered my mini-speech about the power of the mind (less than 1 minute), the cube is solved.

The cool thing about this is that I first establish myself as a likeable guy with the audience by play and the comedy predictions (think Becker's Bar Code Prediction with out the kicker).

Then right when they think I'm just a goof-off, I do something that most people think is just unbelievable and darn near impossible.

Even though tons of people can solve it these days, there are still way more people who think you're a freakin' genius if you can do it.

So I go from "love-able/like-able fun-guy" to "love-able/like-able fun-guy who's pretty dang smart."

Sorry I know it sounds like an ego trip, but I'm merely using this ploy to establish credibility with my audience. Anyway from there I move into a psychological force I learned in a Cassidy book. That's the moment that draws in the entire audience.

Then I hit 'em with 4 or 5 pieces of mentalism with my goof-off love-able/like-able fun-guy who's pretty smart character, and I'm done.

I guess that's a bit of a long answer to your question, but it's a great way to use the cube for a large audience. Good luck!

Caleb Wiles

Postby Caleb Wiles » December 22nd, 2011, 2:08 pm

the Larry wrote:I have heard about a Luke Jermay effect with a Rubiks cube, but don't know if this is available somewhere, nor what it exactly is.

I know I'm bumping an old post, but I just picked this up. The routine is called Rubix Square. What a waste of money. The routine is overpriced, convoluted, and simply DOESN'T WORK!

You can check out my full review here if you're interested: http://www.calebwilesmagic.com/?p=2523

Stay far away from this one!
Caleb
Get a FREE trick by signing up for my newsletter: www.eepurl.com/52H2

www.CalebWilesMagic.com

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » December 23rd, 2011, 1:51 pm

Patrik Kuffs had some great Rubik ideas in Magicana some time back.

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » February 27th, 2012, 4:17 pm

prediction sounds deadly dull; race against time compelling

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 27th, 2012, 4:36 pm

What's next? Deely Bopper bending and a Piano Trick variation using day glo leg warmers?

How many kids today even know what a rubik's cube is?

Corneilius Jay

Postby Corneilius Jay » February 27th, 2012, 4:38 pm

Bill Duncan wrote:Theatrically, it would seem that a prediction that takes careful examination to confirm would be kind of a buzz kill for an audience.
Now Betty, would you call off the colors on side number five?
Even with a simple visual comparison, shown on a big screen TV, youd still have six sides to confirm

You could have a pre done rubix cube in a box to compare with the one manipulated that would quicken the examination, wouldnt it?
Regards.
Neil.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 27th, 2012, 5:27 pm

I have an unpublished idea that Gaetan Bloom like a lot. You throw out 5 Rubik's Cubes and have them mixed by audience members. They throw them back and you arrange them in a line so the audience can see that each is a completely different design.

A sixth Cube has been on display at all times, but it's under a cloth.

Any one of the 5 Cubes (no force) is chosen and it matches exactly the sixth Cube.

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » February 27th, 2012, 10:04 pm

All the more reason for you to log off of this forum and get to work on a "The Complete Works of Bob Farmer" book. Seriously, I love your material!

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 28th, 2012, 6:12 am

I wish I had the time to do that but I'm too busy with my day job.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » February 28th, 2012, 11:27 am

Evan Shuster wrote:All the more reason for you to log off of this forum and get to work on a "The Complete Works of Bob Farmer" book. Seriously, I love your material!

If you're a member of my forums, he has posted up several very nice routines there. Bob is as amazingly prolific as he is clever.

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » February 28th, 2012, 5:53 pm

that sounds like a great prediction effect

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 28th, 2012, 6:31 pm

El Harvey Oswald wrote:that sounds like a great prediction effect

if it was 1987, yes.

;)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 28th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Damian, I don't think you know about how popular Rubick's Cubes still are in the US. There's a big subculture of interest.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 28th, 2012, 6:59 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Damian, I don't think you know about how popular Rubick's Cubes still are in the US. There's a big subculture of interest.

Seems fairly conclusive?

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » February 28th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Did you try searching for 'Rubix Cube'?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 29th, 2012, 4:10 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Damian, I don't think you know about how popular Rubick's Cubes still are in the US. There's a big subculture of interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubik%27s_ ... ar_culture

According to this site: "The Cube retains a dedicated following, with almost 40,000 entries on YouTube featuring tutorials and video clips of quick solutions"

Also, a quick search on "speedcubing" reveals this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedcubing

And here is a google trends search on speedcubing:

http://www.google.com/trends/?q=speedcubing

The fad is not what it once was, but even the kids at our school know exactly what it is and what it does. Plus, nearly every US adult our age also is familiar with it.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 29th, 2012, 4:36 am

I stand corrected. I don't think any kid in the UK would know what one is.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » February 29th, 2012, 5:41 am

I have an original, first generation cube from 1980 sitting just over there. My kids occasionally get to play with it, but it's a tad fragile these days...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 29th, 2012, 10:48 am

Middle age does that to one's cubes.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » February 29th, 2012, 11:52 am

Hey, I'm still ten years younger than you...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 29th, 2012, 11:54 am

Sorry, my friend, but you are still middle-aged. :)

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » February 29th, 2012, 4:26 pm

Nooooooo!

That was _cold_...

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » February 29th, 2012, 5:31 pm

"if it was 1987, yes."

perhaps; they seem to connect with people <20 -- though i don't ever see anyone actually using them. maybe they are just a cultural artifact that everyone is sufficiently aware of. and the probabilities/degree of difficulty attendant to predictions and quick-solves are intuitively obvious. even so, not the most timely prop.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 29th, 2012, 6:34 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Sorry, my friend, but you are still middle-aged. :)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 29th, 2012, 6:59 pm

Being well past Ian in middle age myself, it's fun to be able to say to people who are in their early forties: YOU are middle aged, too. "Oh SNAP!" indeed.

Wait until I reach old age at 65. Then the fun really starts.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » March 1st, 2012, 2:49 am

Do I get to call you 'old man'? Cos I have to get _some_ kind of comeback...

Timothy Hyde

Postby Timothy Hyde » March 1st, 2012, 3:59 am

David Redfearn wrote:Can anyone help I am looking to do an effect to a very large audience with a rubik cube. I dont want to do the standard toss into the air and its solved effect.

I would like to do a prediction type effect. If need be every one in my audience could have a cube in their hands.

I have searched my sources for any ideas and drawn a blank hope some one can help. Many thanks if you can best David Redfearn. www.davidredfearn.com

David, you might like to seek out
"The Last Word" by Mark Elsdon.

This is not the "Rubik Remembered" DVD
previously mentioned by Ian Kendall
but a limited release manuscript
describing a prediction effect
using the cube

It is an interesting presentation
and that is what you are buying
rather than a big secret

Timothy
The Secret Notebooks of Mr Hyde - Vol 1 & 2 - http://www.MagicCoach.com