"Kiss the Magician" Card Trick

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

"Kiss the Magician" Card Trick

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2008, 10:01 am

The trick was recently recommended to me but after looking around I discover it is no longer avsilable. My info might be wrong but it looks like only 5000 copies were available from 2002 to 2006.

It was explained to me the trick used a Svengali-type deck. It was intended to be performed on the opposite sex. The magician shows the deck is full of chances to win money, and a few with minor tasks for the spectator.

When the spectator chooses a card they always select "Kiss the Magician".

It sounded like a great trick. Is there a way to buy the rights to it? Someone has already suggested altering the effect enough to ensure it doesn't infringe on intellectual property law. The latter is an option but not as desirable.

On a replated topic I have long wondered where magicians can get quality custom cards produced at a reasonable price. I know it depends on quantity so let's say 25-100 decks.

...just thinking out loud again.

If you would like to make a positive contribution to this topic please do.

Thanks,

Robert

jerry lazar

Re: "Kiss the Magician" Card Trick

Postby jerry lazar » January 16th, 2008, 11:08 am

Not sure whether this is constructive, but since it hits on a personal pet peeve -- having witnessed dozens of 'kiss the magician' themed effects, at the Magic Castle and elsewhere, I can assure you that, while they may appeal to the (self-deluded) performer, the audience uniformly finds them "not cute," and usually just plain pathetic or even downright revolting... Trust me, no one wants to kiss the damned magician , and everyone squirms uncomfortably for the poor female on stage who's in a quandary -- wanting to "help" but freaking out that she's going to be publicly embarassed (which is the LAST thing entertainers should do to them)... I know others will disagree, but please keep the frog-kissing for the fairy tales... As for me, I'll stick to a gentlemanly handshake, thanks...

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2008, 11:34 am

Hi Jerry,

I agree. For a stage or parlor setting this could be disasterous.

There are tricks I perform for strangers and there are ones for friends. This one is best for the latter.

It reminds me of a question a guy posed about "Sam the Bellhop". Bill Malone throws in some racy comments during the performance. A friend asked me if I thought it was appropriate. It depends on the magician; that was my response.

Malone can pull it off and get a laugh but some guys like a Hannibal Lector delivering the same lines. I'm glad your brought up this point Jerry, it has not been well-addressed in the community.

I saw a walkaround magician at a restaurant in Texas wearing a grubby suit, dirty fingernails, and sporting the most damaged teeth I've seen outside of a Third World country. He was essentially targeting tables with pre-teen girls.
He leered at them in the way faces peer out of FBI mug shots at the Post Office.

We know there are extremes out there. Maintaining a professional appearence, knowing your audience, and knowing your limits are essential.

Getting back to the matter at hand, if anyone knows a custom card maker or has insight into "Kiss the Magician" I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Robert

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2008, 12:28 pm

While I like being kissed by a lady as much as the other guy, I agree that it is not a trick you do for anybody.

I have a couple of tricks that I do like that.

One is a "Let's make a deal" type of trick where the lady ultimately picks the card that says she won a kiss from the magician. I also carry a few Hershey's kisses in my pocket when I do this one.

Another involves cards where the lady blows a kiss at the cards and it allows me to find her card. Then there is a very funny climax to the trick that everyone enjoys. Sometimes, in the right crowd (all close friends) and with the right lady, I may ask her to give me a kiss on the cheek. I'll say "that has nothing to do with the trick but I sure enjoyed it," and get on with the revelation. Of course I never ask this of anyone unless I know they were a good sport.

And, of course both of these tricks are done close-up and not on stage.

My two cents

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2008, 12:33 pm

That is a very tasteful way to go about it Ray. Those routines would work in many differnt environments. Thanks for the input.

Robert

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2008, 12:33 pm

Here's one manufacturer: http://www.customplayingcards.com/

I totally agree with Jerry's post above. Although, you could exploit that fact by inducing dramatic tension by building it up....and just before the kiss lands, you relieve audiences built up tension by enthusiastically shaking the womans/mans hand. With this, you manipulate the audience in an emotional rollercoaster and prevail as a good guy.

Return to “General”