Vanni Bossi Pencil through bill

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
Steve Cobb

Vanni Bossi Pencil through bill

Postby Steve Cobb » May 13th, 2009, 1:04 pm

I noticed that a new DVD of Vanni Bossi's magic has been released and did not see his trick "pencil through bill" is listed. Does anyone know if this trick is published anywhere? Thanks in advance.

Bill McFadden

Re: Vanni Bossi Pencil through bill

Postby Bill McFadden » May 13th, 2009, 1:22 pm

I just looked through two sets of Vanni's lecture notes, and the effect is not included. However, I suggest you contact Stevens' Magic Emporium to see if they have any remaining supply of the "secret" used in this effect. They were consigned a supply after the World Magic Seminar in 2002.

Let us know how you make out. In fact, I must finally obtain Vanni's secret from Stevens if there are any remaining in their inventory.

Steve Cobb

Postby Steve Cobb » May 13th, 2009, 1:41 pm

Bill: Good Day! Thanks for your help. I contacted Stevens and they do have some of these left in stock.

Dick Christian

Postby Dick Christian » May 13th, 2009, 2:53 pm

Haven't seen Vanni Bossi's effect. For those who have, is it significantly different from Timothy Wenk's "Misled" pencil thru bill effect from the late 1970s-early 80's? Just wondering.
Dick Christian

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » May 13th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Dick Christian wrote:Haven't seen Vanni Bossi's effect. For those who have, is it significantly different from Timothy Wenk's "Misled" pencil thru bill effect from the late 1970s-early 80's? Just wondering.

Yes, it's significantly different. Both pencil and bill can be borrowed (and returned). The mage's hands are clean at all times.

Lee Almond

Postby Lee Almond » May 13th, 2009, 9:15 pm

OK, I'll bite as I only live 15 minutes away from Stevens shop. Is Vanni's effect better than Sankey's pencil thru dollar? Just wondering.

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » May 14th, 2009, 3:53 am

Vanni Bossi's version is completely different from Misled but is better performed with US dollar bills.

You can see Vanni perform it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PwhTbes3qA (it's in Italian, but the effect is clear).

Have fun!
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

Lee Almond

Postby Lee Almond » May 14th, 2009, 10:21 pm

Very cool. Thanks for the link.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » May 14th, 2009, 11:00 pm

This is the trick Racherbaumer mentioned, right? I searched the Castle library in vain for it. If I contact Stevens to get the secret something, do I have to contact someone else to find out how to do the trick? And who is that?

BTW the effect of this is completely different than Misled or Dough (the Sankey trick). In Vanni's trick you openly make a hole in the billthe spectator can see through itand you then restore the bill. The effect of Misled and Dough is that a pen passes through a bill without creating a hole.

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » May 15th, 2009, 3:39 am

Yes, this is the trick Racherbaumer mentioned in Genii when remembering Vanni.

I don't know what you can get from Stevens, but I seem to remember that Vanni was selling the "secret something" and the instructions as a package... I would assume Stevens sells the same package, but that's just my guess...

Good luck!

AnthonyBrahams

Postby AnthonyBrahams » May 15th, 2009, 4:28 am

Stevens were selling the complete package, instructions, something and a regular pencil for this superb effectsee Marco's YouTube link.
Anthony

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 20th, 2009, 7:44 pm

AnthonyBrahams wrote:Stevens were selling the complete package, instructions, something and a regular pencil for this superb effectsee Marco's YouTube link.

I just received mine from Stevens--very, very clever. Stevens Magic also let me know by email that they are now sold out. (You all move fast! :grin:)

Mark Ratekin
Favorite Magician: Harry Anderson

Postby Mark Ratekin » May 20th, 2009, 10:23 pm

As a person who is a bit obsessed with the pencil-through-bill plot, I was disappointed to learn I made my order with Stevens' a little too late. If anyone wants to part with theirs, I would be interested.

Thanks -

Mark

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » May 21st, 2009, 12:58 am

I emailed them to see if they had it, but then I had a moment, so I called and ordered it. When they returned my email they were sold out. I had sniped myself.

The method is, I have to say, extremely simple and somewhat frightening. It will require huge balls to return the bill to the spectator. But it's an incredible miracle for television -- I wonder if Vanni created it for this medium.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » May 21st, 2009, 10:07 am

Mark,

I picked one up from Vanni when he lectured in Ottawa and I am willing to part with it. Send me a PM if you are interested.

David Regal

Postby David Regal » May 27th, 2009, 6:41 pm

Vanni Bossi was a genius. Such wonderful ideas and effects. Mr. Bossi's method for the trick discussed here included a special substance that he used for the effect. I've tried others, but none are as good. PM me if you know what he used!

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » March 27th, 2010, 3:52 pm

Will this ever be available again from Stevens or anyone else ?

Who has the rights to Vanni Bossi's material ? I hope they will release this again.

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » March 28th, 2010, 2:09 pm

David Nethery wrote:Will this ever be available again from Stevens or anyone else ?

Who has the rights to Vanni Bossi's material ? I hope they will release this again.

David,

I don't know if this trick will be available again. The rights of Vanni Bossi's effects and material belong to his son.

Hope this helps, all the best,

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 28th, 2010, 3:19 pm

I'd rather see the the trick offered with permission than knocked off and sold under a different name by folks looking to make a quick buck on a good item.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » March 28th, 2010, 6:38 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:I'd rather see the the trick offered with permission than knocked off and sold under a different name by folks looking to make a quick buck on a good item.

Absolutely. That's why I asked who owned the rights. I would not buy it if it were a knock-off. But if Steven's Magic (or any other dealer) gets an authorized version I would buy it. I never had the opportunity to see Vanni Bossi perform it in person, but the effect looks very strong in the video link that was posted above.

Return to “Magicana”