The Koran Deck

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Rennie

The Koran Deck

Postby Rennie » April 8th, 2008, 11:55 am

Anyone able to help on the set up for the Koran Deck. I have 2 decks that are supposedly Koran, just tell me if either is correct.

1 - The deck is set up with 3 cards (eg; 3s / 6d / 9c). Set up is, 3X6X9X3X6X9X and so on for 52 cards. The X being an indifferent card.

2 - Deck contains 48 cards made up of 12 different cards repeated 4 times. The 12 cards are as follows, KH/QS/JD/10C/9H/8S/5D/6C/3H/4S/AD/2C. Black cards are odd, red cards are even.

Without going into the actual method here, can anyone substantiate which is the Koran Deck?
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve is not !!

Jonathan Townsend

Re: The Koran Deck

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 8th, 2008, 12:39 pm

um...if this is about the "standard" 5-star pack then neither as best I recall.

where did those packs come from?

anyway 1x2x3x4x1x2x3x4... 48 cards FYI

Rennie

Postby Rennie » April 8th, 2008, 2:39 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:
where did those packs come from?

Jonathan,
The 1st deck was included with a card effect called "Identical Impossibility"
The 2nd deck was sold as a Koran Deck. However I had gotten different descriptions of the deck and was not sure.
Rennie

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » April 8th, 2008, 3:24 pm

Neither deck was original with Al Koran. The first you describe is a modified 1-0-1 Deck; the version using four force-cards is what Koran used for the "Five-Star Prediction," and it is sometimes referred to as a "Koran Deck."

The second is the one that was marketed in the 1960s as the "Koran Deck," but it was copped directly from Audley Walsh's "Magician's Dream" which appeared in The Jinx in the 1930s, and was devised earlier.

Rennie

Postby Rennie » April 8th, 2008, 7:19 pm

Wow, if anyone knows his stuff it is Max. Thank you very much..
Rennie

Rennie

Postby Rennie » April 9th, 2008, 12:35 pm

Well as I stated above about Max knowing his stuff.
I checked my Jinx issues and lo and behold there it was in Volume # 43, dated April 1938 on page 298 "Magicians Dream" by Audley Walsh. It is identical to the deck I have with the exception they removed (as I recall) the 9's where mine had the 7's removed, otherwise identical.
My next question would be "Max, how do you remember things like this?"
Rennie

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 9th, 2008, 9:11 pm

Max spends a lot of time reading ... and remembering.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ray

Postby Ray » May 8th, 2009, 5:04 pm

Thanks for this post. I've been going through my "decks" and trying to organize and identify. This helped me identify the 101 deck I have and also how I can pair it with the Platt envelope I purchased from Eugene Burger a while back. Thanks.

Ray Wickham
Ring 199
Raleigh, NC

oneeye

Postby oneeye » June 12th, 2009, 5:15 am

HI READ WITH INTEREST THE KORAN DECK ITEM. I HAVE USED THE KORAN FORCK FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS , IT IS 4 CARDS REPEATED 6 TIMES WITH A DIFF CARD BETWEEN EACH CARD MAKING 48 CARD DECK, WITH A DUPLICATE SET OF THE FORCES FOR THE POCKET. I HAVE A NICE ROUTINE FOR THE EFFECT IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE IT.
ALSO THE KORAN MENTALIST IS A 48 CARD CARD DECK, WITH THIS EFFECT THE SELECTED CARD CAN BE NAMED WITH 3 SIMPLE QUESTIONS.
HAVE FUN

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » June 13th, 2009, 1:10 am

Wow! You're screaming out loud!

PMS

Postby PMS » January 23rd, 2010, 12:33 pm

For those who like this idea, you might find the review from Peter duffie interesting:
I intended to post this on one of two Dream Deck threads that I had read a few weeks ago. But one of the threads is now locked, and the other thread appears to now be an invisible thread. So, this is not intended to be a review, as such, just a quick opinion. Anyway, I ordered a Dream Deck from www.therealmagicrealm.com and it arrived in the UK in a week. After I received it I was also sent a PDF with further ideas. So, excellent service and an equally excellent product.

The Dream Deck is a great idea. While it falls into the category of the Walsh/Koran deck or Kennedy Mind Power Deck (to name but two), due to a new arrangement the repeated force cards are better concealed. In fact, I spread through the cards when I first opened it and didn't see the set up. I am perfectly confident giving this deck to a spectator and asking them to spread through and think of a card. If I didn't see the set-up ... neither will they! This is the "think of a card" deck I will use from now on.

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » February 26th, 2010, 4:53 pm

I just got an interesting information by Clemens Ilgner about a forerunner of the Magician's Dream deck:

In Hoffmann's MORE MAGIC (1890) you will read in Chapter II "To "FORCE" A CARD. New Methods"; and in the sub-chapter "To Force three Cards together" the following passage:
"...I have a series of three cards, ten times repeated, thus: knave, seven, queen; knave, seven, queen, and so. on to the end...."

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 26th, 2010, 5:50 pm

From its description above, "The Dream Deck" is NOT a think-of-a-card deck at all. The magician does not name the mentally selected card -- he asks the spectator to do so.

Also, the description makes no sense: a number is predicted, and after the spectator names his card the number is shown to be correct. What does that mean? What is the relationship of the number to the mentally selected card?

The ad says no questions are asked but this is obviously untrue since someone (the magician?) has to ask the spectator to name his card.

Referencing other think-of-card decks (like the Mind Power Deck) is misleading -- there is no relationship between the two tricks since the mentally selected card is named by the spectator, not the magician.

The whole thing sounds like a dud to me.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”