Riffle Shuffle Work Using The Triumph Shuffle

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Pete McCabe

Re: Riffle Shuffle Work Using The Triumph Shuffle

Postby Pete McCabe » April 24th, 2009, 2:17 am

The effect is that a person painstakingly shuffles several cards into the right positions.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 24th, 2009, 4:33 am

Pete McCabe wrote:The effect is that a person painstakingly shuffles several cards into the right positions.

Where's the script for that in your bloody book McCabe? How could you miss out something so obvious?

I feel disappointed, and although you were kind enough to personally make my copy of your book complete with the missing letter, I now feel let down.

Please publish an addendum to the book and release it for free or GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK.

Damian

Cugel

Postby Cugel » April 24th, 2009, 4:43 am

Glenn Bishop wrote:Cugel, Denis Behr, Eoin O'Hare, El Mystico, mrgoat, Silly Walter, Nikodemus Siivola, Dustin Stinett and anyone.

In the spirit of good fun - I would love to see video of any of you guys stacking and culling together on the fly - or stacking and culling four aces from a slug - or stacking and culling from a slug three different hands for a five handed game like I do in my triple duke triumph video - using any kind of table riffle shuffle technique that is not the triumph shuffle as I use in my video.

Challenge accepted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67dcfjhb ... annel_page

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » April 24th, 2009, 6:08 am

That's lovely Cugel, but - to anticipate Glenn - this is just culling. Glenn is talking about stacking AND culling. (although culling and stacking would probably be a better way round).

Cugel

Postby Cugel » April 24th, 2009, 6:33 am

El Mystico wrote:That's lovely Cugel, but - to anticipate Glenn - this is just culling. Glenn is talking about stacking AND culling. (although culling and stacking would probably be a better way round).

Yep, Glenn will likely decry it as not meeting his challenge, but only because he won't comprehend what it is he is seeing.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » April 24th, 2009, 8:59 am

Cugel wrote:
El Mystico wrote:That's lovely Cugel, but - to anticipate Glenn - this is just culling. Glenn is talking about stacking AND culling. (although culling and stacking would probably be a better way round).

Yep, Glenn will likely decry it as not meeting his challenge, but only because he won't comprehend what it is he is seeing.

Sorry Cugel - even when I think the video is nice work it is "not what I am doing" and not even close to the goal that I went after in my three video's.

Try culling and stacking four aces from a slug that is not on the top of the deck - then try culling and stacking three different hands of "four of a kind" from a slug that is not on the top or the bottom of the deck.

Then try to cull and stack - three or four aces on the fly from a shuffled deck. "And you have no idea where the aces are in the deck". All this I might add without marking or tricking up the deck in any way. Or using a tricked up deck like belly strippers or marking or putting sand work on the aces. Or using a corner short or a short card.

I don't think that you can do it as I did in my three video's with any other kind of shuffle work. However I would be happy to be proven wrong. As I said in another thread - the video that you presented is nice - but not even close to what I am accomplishing in my three video's.

And mrgoat - your video was a "riot" thanks for such a great laugh!!!!

Just my opinion.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » April 24th, 2009, 9:00 am

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... 04&fpart=1

Jim Maloney wrote:Steve has a point. The nastiness displayed on this thread, especially from Chris Aguilar, is unnecessary. You may not be a fan of Glenn's work, but the constant barrage of ugliness displayed toward him is, frankly, somewhat embarrassing.

This thread has been running in circles for a while now (some may say down the drain). I'm locking it.

-Jim

Richard Kaufman wrote:I'll over rule Jim here for one reason: no one except Glenn Bishop has given the original poster many leads on published methods of Riffle Stacking.

Let's remove Glenn Bishop from the picture for a while: Glenn, please don't post in this particular thread anymore. We get your point.

Those who think that Glenn's work is crap: don't post in this particular thread anymore. We get your point.

As to why the thread has devolved to this point, frankly I think Mr. Bishop's attitude brings out a mean ole' streak in some people and they feel compelled to tell him what they think and it's not a pretty sight (or site!). We're done with that in this thread.

Now if someone has something interesting to say about Riffle Stacking, please continue.

Jim Maloney and Richard Kaufman came close to nailing it in this above thread. The point is that in my opinion - there are magicians here that dont like ME.

So even if I presented the finest technical ability on earth - because the magicians dont like me and in my opinion some may even have some kind of a grudge or a vendetta against me - some in my opinion would still not like and try to find the flaws in my work and in my three videos. Just because they seem to like to jerk me around and argue about magic.

Some of this may go back to when I produced and sold my first DVD with Glenn Bishop Cuts the aces on it and I got much the same comments in blogs and in the Magic Caf about my way of doing my slant on the Stevens cull - one said that it was a pain to watch. And my answer is still - my audience likes it.

However in my opinion that does not bug me at all because I work for a living and my audience that I charge money for my magician service seem to love what I do and I have a track record of success for more than 25 - 35 years. As I remember there were magicians that said comments about Jack Pyles second deal and that they could spot it. And as I remember Jack didnt care and still made a living with it doing his bridge deal.

Nate Leipzig said it - or something like it - if they like you they will like your act. And in my opinion if I may add - flawless magic is only an opinion anyway.

That is all I have to say - in this thread.

Thanks everyone for the laughs and the kind words as I now close the door.

Just my opinion.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 24th, 2009, 9:29 am

Perhaps if you stated your objectives
Then discussed your strategy for meeting those objectives
And then discussed the mertits of that strategy
And then offered a simple demonstration as proof of concept
More readers could understand what's going on
And we could read a better discussion than what's been
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 24th, 2009, 9:42 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Perhaps if you stated your objectives
Then discussed your strategy for meeting those objectives
And then discussed the mertits of that strategy
And then offered a simple demonstration as proof of concept
More readers could understand what's going on
And we could read a better discussion than what's been

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » April 24th, 2009, 11:57 am

Thanx, Goat. Now I have to clean the coffee off of my monitor.

JMD

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 24th, 2009, 1:42 pm

John M. Dale wrote:Thanx, Goat. Now I have to clean the coffee off of my monitor.

JMD

I am here to serve.

:)

Cugel

Postby Cugel » April 24th, 2009, 6:33 pm

Glenn Bishop wrote:Sorry Cugel - even when I think the video is nice work it is "not what I am doing" and not even close to the goal that I went after in my three video's.

I have a prediction envelope here that has been held in the safe keeping of the manager of Lloyds of London for the past three weeks and which I have not once touched which, if the kind sir will perform his duty and open it now in front of the cameras, you will see contains a paper predicting that Mr.Bishop would react in exactly this manner. Thank you. Thank you very much.

Jonathan Miller

Postby Jonathan Miller » April 25th, 2009, 11:31 am

Is there any chance that Bishop is just like a really good troll? I don't care how big his ego is; NO ONE can think that video he made is actually deceptive..not even the creator. Plus his whole argument about Triumph being the name of the shuffle and not the trick, when anyone who made it past 2nd grade and has a copy of SoM can tell that isn't true. I dunno just seems to me like he wants attention and trolling gets him that.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » April 25th, 2009, 4:12 pm

According to his latest post at the Cafe, Glenn has left the building.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... rum=188&24

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » April 30th, 2009, 9:57 am

Just FYI...

This weekend I am printing up a copy and comb binding it of the complete book - Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Shuffle Triumph's.

This is my complete work on the triumph shuffle and how to use it to cull - stack - and cull stack cards. As well as my ace cutting routine ideas.

And I am sending it with my Punch Cull (deal) DVD (Glenn Bishop Punch Deck Pro) to the Magic Castle Library this next week. I think that important work of this nature - like culling and stacking because the information is so rare - I think that important work like this should be in some of the important magic libraries - like to one at the Magic Castle - so future generations of magicians have good "reference" material.

Just my opinion.

Later on in the year I will adding one or two chapters to the book. Plus I will be writing my book on the punch deal - culling with the punch and a jog shuffle cull - plus I have plans to do a DVD on the Triumph shuffle.

Just FYI

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » April 30th, 2009, 12:44 pm

"You toot your own horn you make one sound, and it doesn't last long because you run out of breath. If a lot of other people are tooting your horn, it makes a lot of noise and the sound is going to be forever because everyone is doing it."

Derrick Brooks

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » May 6th, 2009, 11:13 am

Interesting comment NCMarsh - However Houdini and Scarne were both very good at tooting their own horns and self promotion in my opinion and both of them - and more - I wouldn't say did to bad - self promoting themselves and their performing art and business.

Just sent the book Glenn Bishops ace cutting and block transfer shuffle triumph's - and my Glenn Bishop Punch Deck Pro - DVD-4 off to the magic castle library.

The most interesting thing in my opinion about the book is that it has a "workable" system of culling and stacking cards on the fly that is not that hard to do - using the triumph shuffle - and it "works".

However I am going to re-write the book and add 2 - 4 more chapters because there were quite a few things that I left out - on some added technique and some applications and how the cull can be used in magic.

I am one of those magicians that would rather have a comb bound book that I can hold and read rather than an non printable e-book - like the E-book copy (in 7 e-books) that used to be able to be downloaded from my old web site. For me I would rather have a good book than an e-book copy anyday.

The cool thing about the punch deal DVD is that it has footage of Jack Pyle doing his bridge deal - Plus I give tips that Jack Pyle gave me on the second deal. And then also once the work is in the deck - it is easy to find and cull the cards to the bottom or run then up in a five card game - for a demo of poker cheating - anytime.

I hope a few of the Magic Castle Magicians find the info as interesting and as "useful" as I do.

Just my opinion.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 6th, 2009, 11:42 am

Is there a term for a Freudian slip involving only punctuation?

"disingenuously",

Jon
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on May 6th, 2009, 11:44 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: comma, comma, comma chameleon...

Adrian Kuiper

Postby Adrian Kuiper » May 6th, 2009, 5:10 pm

I once worked with a woman who had that nasty habit of illustrating her quotes with her two hands....a most annoying habit.

Jon, your pickup was amazing!! You've earned the right to coin the word.

Adrian

Matt Sedlak

Postby Matt Sedlak » May 6th, 2009, 5:26 pm

Glenn Bishop wrote:Interesting comment NCMarsh - However Houdini and Scarne were both very good at tooting their own horns and self promotion in my opinion and both of them - and more - I wouldn't say did to bad - self promoting themselves and their performing art and business.

Didn't Mickey MacDougal make way more money than Scarne though? Sometimes when people are too self-promoting it backfires on them.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » May 6th, 2009, 8:42 pm

Honestly, Glenn, if you're reading it as "some magicians don't like other magicians that self promote" then you are mis-reading it.

You're also, from a marketing perspective, mis-reading your audience. There is a huge difference between what it takes to put butts in the seats of a matinee, and what it takes to build a technical reputation amongst your colleagues and peers. Enthusiasts of technical card magic, like New York restaurant patrons, enjoy being discoverers. They enjoy finding people, techniques, etc. about which others are unaware.

Your work is out there for us to see. People are obviously looking at it. If the work is good, it will find an audience -- as has been the case for folks like Bob Stencel, Chuck Smith, Giacomo Bertini, even Vernon and Erdnase.

Nathan

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » May 6th, 2009, 10:21 pm

Nathan - at this time - and I have no plans - I am not interested in marketing products - books, DVD's to magicians. I am not interested in doing lectures.

If I write or do a project - I have only put a few up for sale for a very short time. Then I end it. My book Glenn Bishop's Ace cutting and block transfer shuffle triumph's - the comb bound book - was only available for a short time - I think a month.

Then I put it up as a 7 non printable e-book download.

Selling magic to magicians really doesn't interest me at all. I also don't want to and I am not interested in being a magicians/magician. However I do work on magic and test the ideas that I come up with - like my punch work and my other work like culling and stacking. And at times I like to write them up and share them - using video, book, PDF, and DVD format.

Now some people like what I do and some don't. However at this time and over the next few years - I am not trying to sell anything to you or anyone.

Back in the 80's I was a lot better. To keep a long story short over the years - I have had my share of physical problems and have had to deal with what I would call a physical illness. I was physically ill when I performed three shows a night for 7 days at the magic castle several years ago.

Mike the host of the Magic Castle and Whit Hayden and several other Castle Members had no idea and I did not tell them. They were also surprised that I did nothing that week except my shows. They kept asking me why I don't get out and see the sights.

I just stayed in my hotel room - watched cable TV and did my shows. Mike the host kept coming in the close up gallery and one night he asked me to come out to the bar between shows and have some fun. I did not want to tell him it hurt to get up.

I thought my best trick was I did the shows - The audience seemed to like it - Ron Wilson asked me back over the phone - and no one knew - And even with the castle video footage of me doing the cups and balls at my web site - I don't think that anyone could tell.

I think my best trick today is that I am still in the game and I love what I do and I am still doing it. Even when I have days when shuffling cards hurts - I still do close up work in restaurants.

Well - that is all I have to say.

Good luck with your magic...

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » May 9th, 2009, 11:28 am

Here is a bit more FYI on culling and stacking as I remember it for your enjoyment. The last magic lecture that I did any demo on culling was at the Magic Castle. At the time I was doing three shows a night in the close up gallery.

Two great card magicians that I sessioned with while I was there that week were Tony Picasso and Rich Cowley. I showed both of them my cutting the aces routine using my slant on the Stevens cull to cold cut the aces one at a time from a shuffled deck. As I remember both Tony Picasso and Rich Cowley really liked the idea at the time.

This routine was also on my first DVD that I was selling at the time. And from talking to magicians at the Castle there were not many magicians doing the culling work that I have been - shall we say - playing around with so to speak.

In the lecture I just explained the basic work using it to cut the aces from a shuffled deck and did not explain or demo any of the triumph shuffle work and the culling and stacking possibilities using the triumph shuffle. I have to say that the basic work I was doing at the time went over quite well for the Castle lecture audience - even when I think that there are not that many magicians that are really interested in this kind of shuffle work.

As a closing note I just re-did my web site to support the few magic lectures that I do - (very few). Because I am to often to busy doing shows to do magic lectures.

Well thanks in advance for reading this - good luck with your magic dreams - whatever they might be!

Just my opinion.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » May 9th, 2009, 6:49 pm

Matt Sedlak wrote:
Glenn Bishop wrote:Interesting comment NCMarsh - However Houdini and Scarne were both very good at tooting their own horns and self promotion in my opinion and both of them - and more - I wouldn't say did to bad - self promoting themselves and their performing art and business.

Didn't Mickey MacDougal make way more money than Scarne though? Sometimes when people are too self-promoting it backfires on them.

I understand MacDougal was a stamp or coin dealer. At least in old age.

Matt Sedlak

Postby Matt Sedlak » May 9th, 2009, 8:55 pm

I can't remember where I read it but it was something that stated MacDougal worked more often and made more money than Scarne. That is about all I know though. I'm sure there are others on here who would know more about this though.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » May 10th, 2009, 9:37 am

Jay Marshall knew Mickey MacDougall and in the back of Magic Inc he was one of the magicians that I asked Jay about. According to Jay - Mickey did an act for clubs and was a club entertainer. He did the Buda paper's as part of the show giving one at each table and let the audience vanish a small object from their pocket.

The people that did the trick were really amazed as the story goes. He also liked and did the Svengali deck a lot. He also lectured on card sharping and told stories - in his lecture that were published in his book "Gamblers don't gamble".

He coined a saying that I like - "Every stranger isn't a card sharp but every card sharp is a stranger".

His cull is published and was the first cull I ever read on the subject of culling. Most magicians that are into culling that I have met know it or have read about it and I think it was published in his book "Card Mastery". I also think that his book Card Mastery is a hidden gem.

I don't know if he made more money than John Scarne. In one of the magic book I have Scarne on cards in the front it talks about Scarne charging a thousand dollars for a lecture or a show.

That was quite a bit of money in the 60's and it is still quite a bit of money today. Scarne also took part in the movie the Sting and did some close up work - including his Scarne seconds.

I think I remember reading in the 70's in the Vernon Touch that Scarne talked about making over a million dollars. An income that few magicians could boast about. I also think that Vernon said that part of that was due to the Scarne Gaming CO.

I think that both of them were great at self promotion.

Just my opinion.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » May 10th, 2009, 10:44 am

Based on the historical record that comes to mind, I believe Scarne made more money than MacDougall. He wrote almost 30 books including two bios, and created a number of games sold through his company, John Scarne Games, Inc.

He invented Teeko in the mid-1940s, withdrew it, and re-launched it in the early 1950s. It sold well but, as I understand it, his inventory was wiped out in a warehouse flood, an event he could not recover from. Today, Teeko only lives on in the middle name of John's son, John Teeko Scarne.

John was the technical director for The Sting and was also a paid gambling consultant for various casinos. He made a mistake in trying to discredit Ed Thorp's approach to card counting.

I believe I remember reading that John's company also created premium games for advertising purposes.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » May 11th, 2009, 10:53 am

Here was the "challenge".

To take the four aces - put them into different spots in the deck. Shuffle the deck - then by using a riffle shuffle cull and stack three aces "on the fly from the shuffled deck" - cull and stack three aces for a five hand game of draw poker.

The aces and the deck are not marked or tricked up in any way.

To do this I use the two shuffle Vernon Triumph shuffle that was published in the stars of magic.

The first demo is culling and stacking three aces on the fly from a shuffled deck. Then the second demo - I go after "all four aces" on the fly from a shuffled deck.

The neat thing for me is that after I put the aces in the deck - I have no idea where they are and I cull them and stack them on the fly - from a shuffled deck.

http://www.mrhypnotist.org/video/Glennb ... riumph.wmv

The added cool thing for me is that with this technique I can take a new or borrowed deck of cards - have the deck shuffled and then cull and stack three or four of a kind using this technique and the "two shuffle Dai Vernon Triumph shuffle.

Now I ask again - is anyone going to post some video showing their own technique - something other than the triumph shuffle -doing the "challenge" as I stated in this post?

Just asking?

NCMarsh

Postby NCMarsh » May 11th, 2009, 11:22 am

Glenn,

Which of those conditions was not met by Cugel's video of the Stevens cull?

N.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » May 11th, 2009, 12:59 pm

I think the trouble is, most of us would add an additional "challenge" - our art should entertain.

NCMarsh

Postby NCMarsh » May 11th, 2009, 2:28 pm

El Mystico,

Neither of the clips show performance pieces -- they are technical demos...while technical demos can be entertaining, in the same way that an academic presentation can be entertaining, entertainment has nothing to do with their success...these are tools that are later used to build a performance piece -- and yes, I'm certain that Glenn would agree with you (he's said as much) that entertainment value is critical in the finished whole that goes in front of the audience

N.

Matt Sedlak

Postby Matt Sedlak » May 11th, 2009, 2:44 pm

Wait...WAIT! How did this thread get necro'd?? Won't someone let it rest in peace? Please??

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 11th, 2009, 2:57 pm

The challenge is to find a good card hand among the discards as you gather them and stack it so you can deal yourself or your pigeon a winner - for a suitably large payoff - perhaps while some are edgy about the money at stake.

For anything less, like entertaining, you might as well just do a halfa$$ed deck switch and wave a lucky poker chip over the pack as you get a volunteer to deal the hands.

Likely a triumph of presentation over shufflefutzing for most who want to do magic.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » May 11th, 2009, 3:34 pm

NCMarsh wrote:Glenn,

N.

In his video he is "not stacking the three or four aces" after the cull for a five handed game of poker.

Cugel's video is a cutting to the aces video. First he does what looks like a false shuffle and a few cuts and produces the aces all at the same time.

Then he puts them into the deck and then culls them and produces them again using a cutting to the aces technique. It is very nice however he doesn't free shuffle the deck or shuffle the deck after the aces are put back into the deck.

This shuffling of the deck or what I call the free shuffle is me really shuffling the deck - no tricks. I am doing it in the video but if I was doing a show - the audience would be shuffling the deck at that point. When I free shuffle the deck in my video - the deck is shuffled and I have no idea where the aces are in the deck at that point.

If you place the aces into four different parts of the deck - and then cull them without a free shuffle or the audience shuffling the deck - if the aces are just put into four different parts of the deck the magician should have a general idea where the aces are - and they are easy to cull - often two at a time - when you have a good idea where in the deck the aces are.

In my video I put them in - free shuffle - I have no idea where the aces are - then each ace I cull and stack one at a time for a five handed game of poker.

As I said many times as each ace is culled and stacked the aces go deeper into the deck. As each ace is culled - then stacked four cards are added on top of each ace. So as the aces go deeper into the deck the problem of stacking "with" culling at the same time is - that as the aces go deeper into the deck - because it is a riffle shuffle and the two halves are riffled together - the stack can be blown. Because the magician has the problem of shuffling cards into the stacked part of the deck when they are culling and stacking the next ace - for the five handed game of poker.

Add more players or more hands like several hands and this becomes more of a problem.

And if I may add - using a cull for a cull cutting to the aces routine. One of the great things about being able to cull and then cut to an ace in my opinion "is" the aces can be lost in the deck - then the deck shuffled by an spectator. And then the magician cuts to them - one at a time.

The thing that I liked so much about Glenn Bishop cuts the aces (on my first DVD and published in my Triumph book) is that in a show I let the helper from the audience shuffle the deck between ace cuts - in a way like Scarne did in Scarne's aces and then I cut to an ace - after the deck was shuffled by a helper from the audience. This to me is the strong point in the trick and opens the door for a lot of situation comedy from the helper that shuffles the deck.

I would imagine that Scarne used that when he did or if he did Scarne's aces - I would imagine that he got a lot of humor and entertainment out of his helper shuffling the deck and then cut to a card - then Scarne cut deeper and got an ace.

In Cugel's video he cuts to the aces and produces them together -When he starts I would guess the aces were on the top of the deck he seems to do a false shuffle and then some cuts - then he produces the aces in a cutting display.

Then he puts them into the deck and culls them - after one shuffle attempt and a face up spread he again shuffles then cuts to the aces - produces them all at the same time.

His video is nice - but not the goal of taking a real deck - no marks no gimmicks - putting the aces in - shuffling the deck and then having no idea where the aces are - then culling and stacking them on the fly - for a five handed game of poker.

I hope that answers your question.

If I may add - I have played around with culling the four aces to the top or the bottom of the deck on the fly and then after they are on the top or the bottom - stacking them for a five handed game of poker with a riffle shuffle.

But that to me is not practical - when it is a lot easier just to cull to the bottom and then bottom deal as I would most likely do in a performance in front of a live audience. And that brings me to the point I made about the punch cull - and that is that once the work is in it is an easy matter to cull a hand to the bottom and then bottom deal - for a demonstration .

Just my opinion.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » May 11th, 2009, 3:41 pm

NCMarsh wrote:El Mystico,

Neither of the clips show performance pieces -- they are technical demos...while technical demos can be entertaining, in the same way that an academic presentation can be entertaining, entertainment has nothing to do with their success...these are tools that are later used to build a performance piece -- and yes, I'm certain that Glenn would agree with you (he's said as much) that entertainment value is critical in the finished whole that goes in front of the audience

N.

Yes I do agree - right on!

Rod Serling

Postby Rod Serling » May 11th, 2009, 4:29 pm

Matt Sedlak wrote:Wait...WAIT! How did this thread get necro'd?? Won't someone let it rest in peace? Please??

You're travelling through another dimension.

A dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind.

A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination.

That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Twilight Zone!

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » May 11th, 2009, 11:28 pm

Well Rod and Matt if your not interested in seeing if anyone can post video under the challenge conditions that I did - doing the same goal - using another culling and stacking method other than the two shuffle triumph shuffle - I suggest you don't tune in.

However I am very interested if anyone can stack and cull three or four aces on the fly under the challenge conditions of using a real non gimmicked deck - not marked or stripped. No short cards or corner shorts.

Just take the four aces - put them in different parts of the deck - Shuffle the deck with three real shuffles and they have no idea where the aces are in the deck - then cull and stack the three or four aces on the fly as I do in my video - for a five handed game of poker.

I would be very interested if anyone could do that using another technique other than the triumph shuffle - however at this time - from the look at this and other threads - in my opinion it appears that no one seems to be up to the challenge.

Just my opinion.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » May 12th, 2009, 8:26 am

NCMarsh wrote:Glenn,

N.

In the video it looks like a cutting to the aces as the aces are produced together -When it starts I would guess the aces were on the top of the deck what looks like a false shuffle and then some cuts - then the aces are produced a cutting display.

Then the aces look like they are put into different parts of the deck and what is suggested as to happen it appears that they are culled using the Stevens cull. After one shuffle attempt and a face up spread look real close and it appears that a left pinky break is taken after the spread. Then by using the pause play feature spot the shift as one ace is most likely shifted to the top of the deck.

So my guess is that one of the aces is shifted to the top. At the point the shift is done the hands seem to go almost go out of camera shot.

Then after the shift the deck is cut into two piles both piles spread face down and then riffle shuffled. Then lots of cuts and I think a table Hindu shuffle. Then the cuts to the aces - produces them all at the same time.

The video is nice - but not the goal of taking a real deck - no marks no gimmicks - putting the aces in - shuffling the deck and then having no idea where the aces are - then culling and stacking them on the fly - for a five handed game of poker.

As I said before the video is very nice but also in my opinion very different than what I am doing in my video.

I hope that answers your question.

Just my opinion.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » May 12th, 2009, 9:33 am

Glenn,

I could never figure out how to turn this sort of shuffle-mania into a card trick. You know, beginning, middle and end. Perhaps a modicum of drama, a dash of humor.

This is the only thing I can do that comes close to your challenge conditions. I cannot see the use in working this stuff up except as self-congratulatory, who's got the biggest shuffle nonsense. The only clip I've seen on this thread with any panache belongs to Cugel.

It's supposed to be about magic and entertainment. This clip is neither. I'm going to go work on some stuff that doesn't use playing cards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czqSnGDAEGM
Last edited by Kent Gunn on May 12th, 2009, 9:59 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Rant addition

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » May 12th, 2009, 11:05 am

Hey Kent - thanks for posting and I liked the video very much. One or two points that I want to make that makes my video very different.

I put the four aces into the deck and then I free shuffle the deck three times in the first demo and twice in the second demo in my video.

At the point of me free shuffling the deck I have no idea where the aces are in the deck. This is the point of culling (and then stacking) on the fly that is to me very important and very different than the fine technique that you just did in your video.

The free shuffle is a real shuffle and if I were doing this for an audience I would give an audience member the opportunity to shuffle and cut the deck as much as they want.

Then after the deck is mixed and I have no idea where the aces are in the deck I cull them on the fly and stack them. That is basically what I am doing.

One of the routines I published some time ago was something with my triumph stack. That is that I placed the aces into a fan - counted the cards between each ace - say five cards or seven cards between each ace - then bring the top ace to the top with the aces with four or seven cards between them (or whatever amount of hands you are using for the demo) and then add four or six cards on top of that top ace (that is on the top of the deck with the other three aces below with the five of seven cards that were stacked in the fan when I placed the aces in the deck). Of course if I were to add some false cuts and shuffles to it makes it look like the performer is doing the work.

What I described above is an interesting cull stack and cuts down on the shuffles but it is not cull stacking on the fly after the deck is free shuffled - or shuffled by an audience member and the performer really doesn't have any idea where the aces are in the deck.

And yes I can use my technique to stack and cull with seven players - and even let an audience member call the hand that they want to get the aces - and use a slant on the technique to cull and stack even 5 players and three hands four of a kind - but this would be culling and stacking from a slug rather than culling and stacking on the fly.

Again I liked your video but in my opinion it is very different just because I free shuffle the deck and could have the audience shuffle the deck as much as they want - and then I cull and stack on the fly having no idea where the aces are in the deck.

Just my opinion.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”