Pirate Magicians

Discuss the art of Children's Entertainment with your fellow performers.
Spellbinder

Pirate Magicians

Postby Spellbinder » April 21st, 2009, 8:21 am

This is not about those who pirate tricks and routines, but about those kid show performers who dress up as pirates and have a pirate theme to their kid shows. Recently, with all the news about pirates of Somalia, I have been having misgivings about glorifying even the Pirates of the Caribbean in a kid show environment. After all, they were all thieves, murderers, rapists of the world's waterways. I don't see any kid show performers dressing up as gangbangers, mafioso, or members of congress. Does anyone else feel like it's time for kid show pirates to walk the plank and turn into clowns or some other less harmful member of society... like elves, fairies or gnomes?
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Pirate Magicians

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 21st, 2009, 8:46 am

What next, no more aladin stuff since for fear or offending muslim fundamentalists?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » April 21st, 2009, 8:41 pm

You think I am worried about offending pirates? I am talking about glorifying criminals in a kid show entertainment.

The story of Alladin has nothing to do with Muslim fundamentalists, and I'm not worried about offending them any more than UF Grant was worried about offending Buddhists with the drawings on his Temple Screen. This isn't about offending any religious fanatics, but about influencing the minds of the children we are supposed to be simply entertaining.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 21st, 2009, 9:14 pm

Ah sweet irony, the story appears to be Arabic though set as if the character were Chinese.
Maybe we can learn more at FISM?

I sincerely doubt we have anyone doing shows for kids as if they were holding the parents hostage or any such dark themes. And likewise I doubt if the Peter Pan musical will tainted even with its Pirates, Crocodile, Indians and "fairy dust" that lets you fly.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » April 21st, 2009, 10:38 pm

I did a magic act as a pirate. I made a Captain disappear. I got upstaged by another magician who dressed up as a Navy SEAL and brought the Captain back.

Mark Pettey

Postby Mark Pettey » April 25th, 2009, 11:44 am

I know a guy who does pirate theme shows who makes $500 per appearance. He is booked solid. The kids love him, the parents love him. He basically shows up in costume, runs around chasing the kids going "ARGH MATEY!", does a few very simple magic tricks, a few balloons figures, and does some face painting. No one seems offended, and as I said , he is in demand.

Please note that I have not made a single comment supporting nor blasting his act. I am only reporting what I have seen. A children's entertainer who is successful.

Wonder how successful he would be if he dressed as a fariy or gnome, and used a bunch of props made from cardboard and duct tape ?
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
ROBBiE the RiNGMASTER'S
CiRCUS of MAGiC!

Return to “Children's Entertainment”