Pk Ring

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Pk Ring

Postby Guest » September 20th, 2006, 1:34 pm

Hello everyone,

First of all, this is my first time posting on this forum, so I want to thank everyone in advance for answering my questions.

Moving on...
It seems to me that there aren't too many choices out there when it comes to the PK ring. Everywhere I've looked it's same Wizard PK ring. http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=3689
I've never owned one myself, but just from the look of the ring, it's quite big and just stands out too much. Especially if you have thin fingers. So my question is, are there any other type of magnetic rings out there that can do the same thing as the PK ring? What about some of these supposedly therapeutic magnetic rings out there on the market? I know it's now for magic purpose, but there are more options and designs. Here is an example: http://www.acemagnetics.com/titanium-ring.html I am thinking maybe the main difference may be the magnetism is not strong enough in these kind of rings.
Thanks again everyon!

Re: Pk Ring

Postby Guest » September 20th, 2006, 3:28 pm

Well first of all I would recommend against purchasing a magnetic ring from the place you mentioned. Mostly because you shouldn't encourage those snake oil salesmen, but also from a practical standpoint. The ring you linked to only has three magnets and they seem visible.
A PK ring, as far as I know, is wholly magnetic by itself. This is very practical because there is no fear of loosing a magnetic field between magnets.
The PK ring I have looks just like my wedding band, which means I can replace my wedding band and no one is none the wiser. The strength of the magnet is enough to move a compas from about a foot and a half. That might not seem like much, but it is comparable to the rare earth magnet I used to put in a thumb tip to do the same effect.

The PK ring is made for magicians by magicians. At the very least you should consider buying one as support of someone who wants to mystify as opposed to someone who wants to sell you fake medicines.

Hope it helps.

Gord

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » September 20th, 2006, 8:23 pm

Hi Dante362001
I have a Wizard PK ring and although I enjoy playing with it quite a bit, I agree with your assessment regarding the suspicious look of the ring. You might want to check into Black's Magic PK ring. http://www.blacksmagicshop.com/
From what I have read it looks much more like a real wedding band, and is available in a wider variety of styles and sizes than the Wizard. I have read that the strength, despite the smaller surface area, is quite comparable, and another nice feature is the fact that Black's Magic offers an inexpensive trade-in deal for current owners of the Wizard, with a return policy based on satisfaction.

Certainly worth looking into.

Best of luck!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 20th, 2006, 10:20 pm

Not a PK ring, but Joe Porper ( www.porperoriginals.com ) has just developed, after a looooooooooong trial and error period, a Jardine Ellis type ring made from a man's wedding band.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2006, 4:58 pm

Thanks for all the info everyone, very helpful! Evan, I do like the ring from the link, I will look more into it. Do you guys also know if it's possible to inscribe initials and designs on the ring? Would it alter the magnetism in any sort of way? Anyone ever tried it before? If so where can you get it customized at Thanks!

barrydohinii

Postby barrydohinii » April 15th, 2009, 11:09 am

Just bought myself the wizard pk G2 from worldmagicshop. If you want a pk ring get this one. It's more powerful than the original pk wizard and looks more like a wedding ring. Gold or silver and in different sizes which helps as they had problems with the sizes for the original. If you do get it, do yourselfs a favour and take it off while eating as using a knife and fork is difficult when it's stuck to the damn thing, this and washing are the only time i take it off as it feels as natural as any normal ring. The only other thing i found is it vibrates weirdly when you walk through the alarm barriers in shops, freaked me out first time it happened.
I do Illusions. Hookers do tricks.

barrydohinii

Postby barrydohinii » April 15th, 2009, 11:11 am

You can't alter the rings at all. They are strong but brittle they can shatter under stress, to see what i mean take a magnet from a stereo speaker and drop it on a hard surface and see what happens
I do Illusions. Hookers do tricks.

Edward

Postby Edward » April 15th, 2009, 11:30 pm

Look Here

Return to “Close-Up Magic”