Riffle Shuffle Work Using The Triumph Shuffle

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Glenn Bishop

Riffle Shuffle Work Using The Triumph Shuffle

Postby Glenn Bishop » January 25th, 2009, 10:16 am

Please do not put the passwords into any open or closed forum.

Thanks

http://www.mrhypnotist.org/bishbottomdealing.html

Jim Martin

Re: Riffle Shuffle Work Using The Triumph Shuffle

Postby Jim Martin » January 25th, 2009, 10:51 am

Thanks you Glenn - very generous indeed.
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » January 26th, 2009, 12:45 pm

Your welcome Jim - I hope you get some ideas from it.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » February 2nd, 2009, 1:15 pm

Sorry the e-books are no longer at my web site.

Thanks again Jim for the kind words.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » April 13th, 2009, 3:10 pm

Here was the "challenge".

To take the four aces - put them into different spots in the deck. Shuffle the deck - then by using a riffle shuffle cull and stack three aces "on the fly from the shuffled deck" - cull and stack three aces for a five hand game of draw poker.

The aces and the deck are not marked or tricked up in any way.

To do this I use the two shuffle Vernon Triumph shuffle that was published in the stars of magic.

The first demo is culling and stacking three aces on the fly from a shuffled deck. Then the second demo - I go after "all four aces" on the fly from a shuffled deck.

The neat thing for me is that after I put the aces in the deck - I have no idea where they are and I cull them and stack them on the fly - from a shuffled deck.

http://www.mrhypnotist.org/video/Glennb ... riumph.wmv

Enjoy!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 13th, 2009, 3:17 pm

Ya know, it might be cute to get some volunteers up and deal them in on a game but every time you deal a card to yourself it's one of their cards like a drivers license or such.

Figure if you're gonna get unsavory by discussing card games in public you might as well go full throttle and turn it into a pickpocket act.
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on April 13th, 2009, 3:20 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: by the 1980s it was 'cool' to wear a coke vial. Today... not sure what's the taboo to flaunt. Any clues?

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » April 13th, 2009, 5:22 pm

Hi Jon - I used to do some pickpocket in the old days. Like the watch steal and some other lifts. However I have not done anything with it for quite a few years.

Still like card tricks and the legendary moves that are used by the story book and movie style card sharks.

Culling and stacking on the fly has been a quest of mine for a long time and I have not found a method as of yet that equals the benefits of using the two shuffle Vernon Triumph shuffle.

Just my opinion.

Rod Serling

Postby Rod Serling » April 13th, 2009, 6:12 pm

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man.

It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge.

This is the dimension of imagination.

It is an area which we call "The Twilight Zone".

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » April 13th, 2009, 6:54 pm

Wow - interesting that on your first post Rod - you found your way - right to this thread. My guess is that you have some sort of an agenda - because this is your first post.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » April 13th, 2009, 6:57 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Ya know, it might be cute to get some volunteers up and deal them in on a game but every time you deal a card to yourself it's one of their cards like a drivers license or such.

Or just do a poker deal, and then you "start the betting" by putting up a watch which, it turns out, belongs to one of the spectators.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 13th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Pete, doing a poker deal to demonstrate the theme is probably the way to get them wanting to play along and volunteer. There's no need to deal the good hand to the dealer, right? ;)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » April 13th, 2009, 7:38 pm

Pete McCabe wrote:Or just do a poker deal, and then you "start the betting" by putting up a watch which, it turns out, belongs to one of the spectators.

Paging Bob Farmer...

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » April 13th, 2009, 7:41 pm

Jon - Did you ever see Jack Pyle work? He worked close up at a table with people all around him. He had a blue table-cloth that he put on the table instead of a close up mat.

Then he would start off doing card tricks and then he did poker and bridge deals.

The thing about Jack Pyle's act that was so different at the time "was" that he would deal - throw - cards and let one or two people in the audience be his partners and he would deal "them" the winning hand.

Plus he would also do several deal's where he would get the winning hand - and have the audience member cut the cards and lose the hand into the deck. The hand that was dealt - was often a royal flush in spades. How Jack got the hand was - when he was ready to do poker deals he would spread the deck face up on the table and say - "Lets play do it yourself poker".

Then he would let the helper take out any hand. Often it was a royal flush or the four aces. Then he would do most of the poker routines and this hand was shuffled and cut - the helper cut the cards after every time the hand was put back into the deck and the deck was shuffled.

Then he would do a poker deal using the bottom deal - hand switch - or center deal and then he would let his helper get the winning hand. The same hand that was picked out when he said "Do it yourself poker".

The "same hand getting lost in the deck and then the helper getting it again became a running gag.

He would climax the routine with his punch bridge deal.

When I am performing - I use some of the same style and I like bringing the audience in - and have them cut the deck after every shuffle - I have watched him do that for years and I think that letting them cut the deck is very strong.

However don't confuse want I am telling you about Jack Pyle's performance and me performing with the video's I have posted.

The video's I have posted - "are not a performance"! They are just short demo's of "what is possible with the Vernon two shuffle triumph shuffle.

Just my opinion.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 13th, 2009, 7:51 pm

Sorry I did not get to see Jack Pyle perform.
What you described reads well as a way to show skill with cards while entertaining.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » April 15th, 2009, 9:32 am

Jack Pyle was great - however often when he performed for magicians he did not go over as strong. Because a lot of magicians did not get what he was doing or why. I have found that magicians don't often understand the card shark magician and their performance.

I saw a show and viewed a video tape of a show Jack Pyle and Jimmy Cards Molinari did in a church basement that was a block away from Magic INC. Jay Marshall set up the gig and it was an all afternoon magic social event sponsored by magic Inc.

Well - Jack Pyle went over good - but he did not go over as strong for the magicians as Jimmy Cards Molinari did. The reason I think the why - was that Jimmy was doing a lot of cutting edge card work at the time. And Jack was doing the card shark stuff - to a lot of people that did not "play" cards or bridge.

Having seen Jack Pyle work in front of "his" audience - people that played cards and bridge - there was a difference in the audience - there are some magicians that want to see magic but found the card shark stuff - just interesting.

And that brings me back to my video's. I have to say that they are not a performance. Why? I have been working on this stuff for about 15 years - but some of it is not in my act. In my opinion it is only by doing this in shows almost nightly that a performer gets the "perfection" that they want.

I remember a story about Charlie Miller a "Fatherly remembrance" that my Dad told me. He said that Charlie Miller did a show or a lecture in England. Magicians there got excited about seeing his card shark stuff and other card work.

When he got there he did the rice bowls - Chinese sticks and his act that he did for the lay audience. The magicians in England were disappointed as the story goes. Well in my dads opinion the reason Charlie Miller did his act instead of the card shark stuff that he did well in session was - the card shark stuff was "not" honed to perfection like his act was.

It is only by doing the stuff (in my opinion) in shows over time does this kind of stuff get that professional edge or touch. And in my opinion magicians get "rusty" if they are not working and of course they get old.

I have other opinion's as well because I do not think that magic like my video looks good on video. In live shows you can talk to an audience and cover and shade better - than you can with just a camera that is spot on the hands.

But just as I said before - it is not about how well I do it in the short video demo's - it is about "what I am doing" and what "is" accomplished with the two shuffle "triumph shuffle"... And the problems of over coming the stacking deep issues using a culling and stacking method using the riffle shuffle.

Just my opinion.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » April 15th, 2009, 1:08 pm

That's true about Charlie Miller doing the rice bowls etc in his UK lecture. I know of one magician who came down from Scotland for the lecture and cried on the journey back.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 15th, 2009, 1:12 pm

Would you elaborate on that?

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » April 15th, 2009, 1:32 pm

er...don't know what info you want! this guy was a young card man. He came hoping to see charlie's card work, but got the rice bowls. This chap had taken time off work, and spent a lot of money on the train fare and was bitterly disappointed.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 15th, 2009, 2:24 pm

you're saying Charlie Miller lectured and only did the rice bowls?

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » April 15th, 2009, 2:31 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:you're saying Charlie Miller lectured and only did the rice bowls?

Jon, read what Glenn posted above. Quit being deliberately obtuse.

Visiting Charlie was always fun. He'd sit dealing cards....tops, bottoms, centers, seconds. If someone asked to "see" his second he'd do some horrible thing and they were disappointed. Charlie would explain that they wanted to "see" his second. Properly done, they wouldn't be able to see anything, so he did it badly do they could see it. I understand he did that with others, too.

He was quite a character.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 15th, 2009, 2:43 pm

I remember a story about Charlie Miller a "Fatherly remembrance" that my Dad told me. He said that Charlie Miller did a show or a lecture in England. Magicians there got excited about seeing his card shark stuff and other card work.

When he got there he did the rice bowls - Chinese sticks and his act that he did for the lay audience. The magicians in England were disappointed as the story goes. Well in my dads opinion the reason Charlie Miller did his act instead of the card shark stuff that he did well in session was - the card shark stuff was "not" honed to perfection like his act was.

Jon, read what Glenn posted above. Quit being deliberately obtuse.

Ah, found the former. Kinda sad about the latter - but it's tough to catch all the signal when there's also lots of noise.

Perhaps it takes a magician to confuse tolerance with the right to give commands.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » April 16th, 2009, 7:23 pm

In this thread here on the Genii forum http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... 18&fpart=3

Nikodemus Siivola said...

Finally, because I cannot contain this any longer: A CULL? After the multiple shift there is no need to cull anything, is there?

The subject matter was this video...

http://www.mrhypnotist.org/video/Glennb ... lstack.wmv

Although I do agree that a shift like Marlo's simple shift wouldn't be used at the card table. And at the card table like in a show the moves "would be adapted" to the performing situation just as a card shark would adapt their moves to the protocol - rules - of the game and place that they happen to be playing cards in.

I used the simple shift to get the aces into the slug - in the video - because I thought at the time that just putting the aces "together" into the deck to make the slug - was a little boring.

But in magic here is when I "would do" a cull after a shift. As with Marlo's simple shift there is a key card and the idea is to put the aces into the deck. They end up together next to a key card so the magician can show face cards - and show the aces not on the top - spot the key card - get a break and then control the aces - or selected cards to the top of the deck.

I have found that using a cull to do the job - there is no need for a key card. All is needed is to shuffle the deck once after the simple shift once you table the deck.

Spot the aces and cull them to the top in one fast move. Also when using other shifts a cull can be used as an out if the shift is blown - or the deck the magician is using is dirty and the cards stick together making the magician miss one or two aces in the shift.

The cull can clean up those little performance problems that a magician might have when doing a multiple shift.

Just my opinion.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » April 18th, 2009, 12:28 pm

David Alexander wrote: Visiting Charlie was always fun. He'd sit dealing cards....tops, bottoms, centers, seconds. If someone asked to "see" his second he'd do some horrible thing and they were disappointed. Charlie would explain that they wanted to "see" his second. Properly done, they wouldn't be able to see anything, so he did it badly do they could see it. I understand he did that with others, too.

He was quite a character.

I never hand the pleasure or honor of meeting Charlie Miller however I did talk to him on the phone twice - and my Dad met and knew him (A Fatherly Remembrance story). The story goes that Charlie Miller was looking for stand up material and came into and watched my Dad do his night club show in Texas - several times.

My Dad was also a student of Erdnase so I think that he and Charlie Miller must have gotten along quite well.

However If I may add - most technical magic in cards like second dealing - centers - bottom's have tells. I knew and learned some stuff from Ed Marlo - and his second deal - like all second deals had a tell. I do not say this to say that Ed Marlo did not do his second deal "flawlessly" however in my opinion like may technical moves in card magic - "Flawlessly" is an opinion. And if you watch the Cardician DVD you may spot the tell.

As far as my video's My triumph cull stack - was viewed 350 times this month.

My Triple duke triumph video - was viewed - 113 times this month.

And the new video of me stacking and culling on the fly using the two shuffle Vernon Triumph shuffle was downloaded or viewed 65 times so far this month.

However if I may add - I make no claim as to doing the moves "flawlessly" for magicians. However to do them "flawlessly" for magicians - was not the overall goal of putting up the video's in the first place.

Just my opinion.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 18th, 2009, 1:04 pm

Glenn,

The phrase is "fatherly recollection."

Dustin

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » April 19th, 2009, 3:17 pm

Sorry Dustin I find this kind of thing rather childish and not worth my time to respond.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 20th, 2009, 10:20 am

To paraphase Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD:
Sisyphus, Syphilis, Freud
This False Shuffle we try to avoid
When meaning is lost on those we accost
Neizche says it all gets destroyed.

The growing pains in our craft are interesting. We all grow older. Growing wiser hurts.

I hope those who have just started in our craft get the idea that we are going toward a more scholarly approach and manage to forgive the thrashings of those who conflate nostalgia with relevance and personal meaning with historical value.

Can meaning be sanitized for public discourse?
Can secrets coexist with scholarly history in publication?
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on April 20th, 2009, 10:31 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: What is the price of knowlege?

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 20th, 2009, 2:45 pm

Obviously I need to remind Glenn that he was quoting me from a previous post in a previous thread and since the phrase he meant to quote was "fatherly recollection" (and he used "fatherly remembrance"), I simply was correcting him. There was NO other motivation beyond that.

That--I hope--is the end of it.

Dustin

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » April 23rd, 2009, 8:03 am

Cugel, Denis Behr, Eoin O'Hare, El Mystico, mrgoat, Silly Walter, Nikodemus Siivola, Dustin Stinett and anyone.

In the spirit of good fun - I would love to see video of any of you guys stacking and culling together on the fly - or stacking and culling four aces from a slug - or stacking and culling from a slug three different hands for a five handed game like I do in my triple duke triumph video - using any kind of table riffle shuffle technique that is not the triumph shuffle as I use in my video.

Can you do these three different things as I do in my three video's using some other kind of riffle shuffle technique? Also using an ordinary deck of cards that are not tricked up or marked in any way. If so I would very much like to see that on video.

I consider my technique using the triumph shuffle a breakthrough because I have never seen as of yet any kind of riffle shuffle technique that has been published in magic a riffle shuffle technique that I can use that I can do the above three things that I demonstrate in my video - like I can by using the triumph shuffle.

I look forward to viewing and learning from your videos.

Thanks in advance.

Although I think stacking and culling multiple hands - stacking and culling together on the fly - using a riffle shuffle is harder to do than you might think.

Just my opinion.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 23rd, 2009, 10:09 am

Just my opinion.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » April 23rd, 2009, 11:05 am

If I may add magician's will either have the ability or the "chops" to do what I have demonstrated in my three video's using some other riffle shuffle technique.

Or they "DON'T"!

Just my opinion!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 23rd, 2009, 1:37 pm

Glenn Bishop wrote:If I may add magician's will either have the ability or the "chops" to do what I have demonstrated in my three video's using some other riffle shuffle technique.

Or they "DON'T"!

Just my opinion!

OK then Glenn - I'll rise to your bait. Gimme a minute and I will record some stuff for you. Prepare to be fried.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 23rd, 2009, 2:01 pm

Here you go Glenn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHvGWJIIOZI

Just my opinion.

Jonathan Miller

Postby Jonathan Miller » April 23rd, 2009, 2:21 pm

I kinda stopped watching after a minute but then I watched the deal and almost fell out of my chair

mrgoat 1 - glennbishop 0

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » April 23rd, 2009, 4:20 pm

Glenn Bishop wrote:If I may add magician's will either have the ability or the "chops" to do what I have demonstrated in my three video's using some other riffle shuffle technique.

Or they "DON'T"!

But what is the effect?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 23rd, 2009, 7:59 pm

The effect is that Mr. Magician, in the guise of a card cheat, can demonstrate his abilities to control cards. Whether or not that's a good thing is open to interpretation.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » April 23rd, 2009, 8:38 pm

Zing! That's a hoot, Damian. Well played.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » April 23rd, 2009, 9:38 pm

Todays Headline:
"Goat Owns Bishop".

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 23rd, 2009, 10:15 pm

powns. ownership implies responsibility.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » April 24th, 2009, 12:22 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:The effect is that Mr. Magician, in the guise of a card cheat, can demonstrate his abilities to control cards.

That's not an effect.
Going by common knowledge, a card cheat is expected to be able to control cards via covert handling.
Here, the plot, the actual handling and the audience's preconcieved ideas all coincides to the same thing: "Cards are controlled with secret sleights".
That's not an effect - that's the reality!
More in the genre of a flourish or a coin roll, than a magic effect. A skill demonstration.
But perhaps there is an latent effect here, not yet brought out? If that's the case, then...

What is the effect?

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » April 24th, 2009, 1:53 am

mrgoat wrote:Here you go Glenn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHvGWJIIOZI

Just my opinion.

Hey, Goaty,

I'm glad to see you've not lost the art of snark that I've admired since the a.m.s days watching you slay our Australian "friend." ;)

JMD

Return to “Close-Up Magic”