Hitler on Criss Angel

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
Richard Hatch

Hitler on Criss Angel

Postby Richard Hatch » March 24th, 2009, 9:22 am

David Alexander

Re: Hitler on Criss Angel

Postby David Alexander » March 24th, 2009, 9:36 am

That's the funniest four minutes I've experienced in a long time.

Thanks for posting it, Richard.

Having known him for some years, I normally call Richard Hatch the commonly used shortened word for the name "Richard." Unfortunately, in its wisdom the software on this board censored the word. I can't even put it in quotes.

Is this taking Political Correctness too far?

Paul Q

Postby Paul Q » March 24th, 2009, 11:31 am

Funny Funny Funny Funny Funny!

Sad............but FUNNY!!!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 24th, 2009, 11:37 am

Warning: don't watch this while drinking a beverage!

:grin:

(My stomach still hurts from laughing so hard)

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 24th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Steve Wyreck . . . Is that nearly a freudian typo?

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » March 24th, 2009, 6:44 pm

Funny stuff! So is the censorship!

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » March 24th, 2009, 8:41 pm

It's great! What a hoot!

Dick Christian

Postby Dick Christian » March 26th, 2009, 12:56 pm

Best laugh I've had since my last visit to the Magic Cafe!
Dick Christian

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Postby Zig Zagger » March 26th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Hitlarious! Thanks for sharing that!!
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

Jonathan Miller

Postby Jonathan Miller » April 3rd, 2009, 5:34 pm

Haha I've seen people edit that clip to make fun of other things...like World of Warcraft...but seeing a magic one was definitely fun! The possibilities with that thing are endless...

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » April 8th, 2009, 2:41 pm

At risk of being a wet blanket:
This video now has two threads, which, in my opinion, is two too many.

Adolph Hitler is in no way an object of humor.

In a profession that has a high current and historic demographic skew of Jewish practitioners the video clip is an insult.

I am the least politically correct individual that you will ever encounter, unless you know a Neo-Nazi or Klansman, and while the Gentile members yukked it up on this video I failed to notice a post by a Jewish member who found this thing hilarious.

It did prove entertaining to one Teutonic member. Probably enjoys the Horst-Wessel-Lied.

This link should have had the Half-Life of Radon before being pulled. :(
It's not about the magic; it's about the daily box office gross.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 8th, 2009, 3:28 pm

Ray,

Hitler is not the object of humor - he is the vehicle for humor - a juxtaposition of the absurd which places Angel into a context thereby effecting a commentary on his (Angel's) skill and worth.

That aside, I believe it was either Larry David or Mel Brooks who commented on "Hitler humor." (I may be mistaken here, but I do know Larry has done Hitler humor including a magic/Hitler themed routine. And Stewart has used Hitler humor as well, often in a similar comparison of the absurd strategy.)

He - or Brooks - talked about how turning these types of people (tyrants, racists, etc) into objects for laughter takes their power from them. I cannot remember the content of their conversation, but I do remember that it was touching, powerful, and affirming.

While I in no way intend to deny your personal feelings about this clip, I do think there are other ways of reading it. More importantly, I do not think Hitler can or should be off limits for humor/satire/commentary/derision. Brooks and David seem to concur.

Respectfully,

Brad Henderson

AJM

Postby AJM » April 8th, 2009, 3:52 pm

I'm with Brad on this one, however if we want add a little seriousness to balance the 'humour' aspect let's not forget the superb Oscar nominated film, 'Downfall', from which this clip was taken.

(Although I appreciate some folks tend not to like subtitled films.)

Cheers

Andrew

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » April 8th, 2009, 4:13 pm

David Kaye has a brilliant coloring-book routine where he tells the kids, and this isn't verbatim, "I really like the book with the colors now...I'd like to keep it just like this...so please don't erase it now" [making an erasing gesture with his hands]

What do the kids do?

They erase it.

Every time.

If you really want to discourage people from making light of nazi-related things, the least effective thing to do is come on and say "tsk, tsk...we shouldn't make fun of that."

As soon as you tell us what we can't make fun of, that's the thing we want to write jokes about. Human nature.

I had a HS biology teacher who had seen a lot of action as a combat medic in Vietnam. He was a warm, charming guy; and he had the most morbid sense of humor of anyone I have met before or since.

I think that's our natural reaction to horror: we can despair or laugh. Despair shuts you down...I think laughter, as insensitive as it is to those who are victims, is actually the healthier and more life-affirming of the two options.

N.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » April 8th, 2009, 5:32 pm

Brad,
Thank you for you civil reply.
The philosophy of Mel Brooks to the contrary, he made Hitler an object of humor, i.e. Hitler On Ice, etc. for a buck.

And this totally ignores his take on Hitler as, in reality, faint praise.

I wonder how many of Mr. Brook's family went into the ovens of concentration camps. If any did, the man is accursed for wringing levity out of the individual, current revisionist history be damned, who was responsible for, although the official count is 6,000,000, hellish deaths of untold numbers of Jews and millions of other human beings that failed to make "The Master Race" cut.

I know the film that was edited and dubbed for this "thing."

For some real humor, perhaps the same individual could perform the same video magic on the non-subtitled film, The Conspiracy that starred Kenneth Branagh as SS-Gruppenfhrer Reinhard Heydrich who chaired the luncheon conference that framed the Final Solution to the Jewish Question, along with fourteen other laughable Nazis at Wannsee in slightly over one hour in January of 1942.

If one chose to make these characters an object of ridicule to disempower them would be a marginally acceptable pursuit.
The object of ridicule was a "magician", not Der Fuhrer.

Adolph Hitler and his clubfooted, chicken farming, etc., cohorts have too much innocent blood on their hands to be the main characters in a lampoon.

There is generally room in a particular subject for gentlemen to disagree.

This video is not an example of the above.

People are perfectly free to exercise their First Amendment Rights as they see fit so please do not categorize my remarks in terms of censorship.

It is merely one man's objection to the reception that this tasteless work received from members who would likely consider themselves as God fearing.

Respectfully,
Ray

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » April 8th, 2009, 5:52 pm

With all due respect, you seem very comfortable in the role of apologist for evil incarnate.

Just sit back, have a big laugh on the zany shenanigans of the Third Reich, Pol Pot or the War in Vietnam.

We are on the cusp of a totalitarian state in America and the current economic situation will have the fairly rapid effect of bringing it to fruition.

When the Neo-SS from Homeland Security pick you up on their radar, (A bureaucracy, the very name of which, would have provided Heinrich Himmler with chronic nocturnal emissions), laugh at those guys.

Respectfully,
Ray

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 8th, 2009, 6:00 pm

I believe this argument began in the early 1940s when Charlie Chaplin played "Adenoid Hinkel" in The Great Dictator. Perhaps we won't replay it here.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 8th, 2009, 6:19 pm

Such is exactly the sort of dark magic we can do without.

Own your shadows and you can safely laugh with clowns.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » April 8th, 2009, 7:03 pm

Ray T. Stott wrote:With all due respect, you seem very comfortable in the role of apologist for evil incarnate.

You're right Ray. I was defending Hitler. My questioning the effectiveness of your sermonizing, my defending the derision of Nazis with comedy, and -- most dangerously -- my finding amusement in an internet parody of Criss Angel that includes an image of Hitler; all of these things are evidence of my support for Hitler and enthusiasm for the holocaust.

Remember kids, if you laugh at Nazis you become one!

N.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 8th, 2009, 7:21 pm

Please Ray, let's not offend those who serve those who would make icons of sick people, transform the name of a political party (really a coalition of two) into a magic word or impede the dissolution of much pain by use of laughter.

This begs a pertinent question: how to go about doing tricks for those whose minds are already spinning. Any suggestions?
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on April 8th, 2009, 8:06 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: the sun sets, the darkness comes,.. how long is the night to be?

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » April 8th, 2009, 8:38 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I believe this argument began in the early 1940s when Charlie Chaplin played "Adenoid Hinkel" in The Great Dictator. Perhaps we won't replay it here.

The Great Dictator was released in August of 1940.

The "Final Solution" luncheon was held in 1942.
Chaplin lampooned what was perceived as a jumped up WW I corporal with designs on controlling the world on the same order as the Illuminati and Zionists.

The real madman behind his metaphorical character put his plan of genocide into motion long after Chaplin's depiction of him as a buffoon.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 8th, 2009, 8:40 pm

Please Ray, hell is a place where the trains run ontime. This is, as you pointed out, not the time for campfire tales and long scary shadows cast by ugly little truths.

Here's a report from the NYTimes from 1938:

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract. ... 5B888FF1D3
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on April 8th, 2009, 8:47 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Is there a cure for rabies?

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » April 8th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Please Ray, let's not offend those who serve those who would make icons of sick people, transform the name of a political party (really a coalition of two) into a magic word or impede the dissolution of much pain by use of laughter.

This begs a pertinent question: how to go about doing tricks for those whose minds are already spinning. Any suggestions?

Sorry, Jon - no suggestions here.
I will admit be surprised that my "sermonizing" antagonized any member of the crypto element of magic society.

He is welcome to his opinion and certainly may continue to express it when he is firmly ensconced behind 12' of electrified razor wire fencing in the Sunshine State showing card tricks to the other internees who thought the whole thing was a joke.

If he is of sufficient years, he likely thought the Playboy interview of George Lincoln Rockwell in the previous century a real laugh riot.

Any hate mail can be addressed to:
Ray T. Stott
928 North Randolph Street
Arlington, Virginia
Email - brotherray@germanamericanbunde.org

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » April 8th, 2009, 9:06 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Please Ray, hell is a place where the trains run ontime. This is, as you pointed out, not the time for campfire tales and long scary shadows cast by ugly little truths.

Here's a report from the NYTimes from 1938:

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract. ... 5B888FF1D3

Thanks for the link, Jon.
Change Munich to NYC and revise the dateline to 2011 and, with a bit of text editing it's ready to go to press.

You remember the last line of that little poem that is often attributed to Pastor Martin Niemller, a German minister "sermonizing" over the intellectuals' failure to dissent during Hitler's rise to power that went, "And when they came for me...?"

This is one historical genii (sorry Richard) that will never go back into the bottle.

skmayhew

Postby skmayhew » April 8th, 2009, 9:10 pm

I think it's pretty clear at this point that Mr Stott is not being serious.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » April 8th, 2009, 9:18 pm

skmayhew wrote:I think it's pretty clear at this point that Mr Stott is not being serious.

As a @#%* heart attack.

skmayhew

Postby skmayhew » April 8th, 2009, 9:20 pm

Heart attacks are in no way an object of humor.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » April 8th, 2009, 9:22 pm

skmayhew wrote:Heart attacks are in no way an object of humor.

Neither is Adolph Hitler.

skmayhew

Postby skmayhew » April 8th, 2009, 9:24 pm

In a profession that has a high current and historic demographic skew of heart attack victims your comment is an insult.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » April 8th, 2009, 9:27 pm

skmayhew wrote:In a profession that has a high current and historic demographic skew of heart attack victims your comment is an insult.

Is your fatuous reply a result of a fished out gene pool or overuse of drugs in the 60's?

skmayhew

Postby skmayhew » April 8th, 2009, 9:34 pm

Genetic defects are in no way an object of humor.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » April 8th, 2009, 9:53 pm

skmayhew wrote:Genetic defects are in no way an object of humor.

:D

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 8th, 2009, 11:08 pm

Very funny address, Ray:

From Wikipedia.
The two-story house Rockwell established as his "Stormtrooper Barracks," which some of the locals dubbed "The House on Hatemonger Hill" (6150 Wilson Boulevard, in the Dominion Hills district of Arlington), has since been razed and the property incorporated into the Upton Hill Regional Park. It was there that the interview with Alex Haley occurred. A small picnic table pavilion marks the house's former location. The site of the party headquarters, 928 North Randolph Street in the Ballston area of Arlington is now a massive hotel and office building complex. Rockwell's successor, Matt Koehl, relocated the headquarters after Rockwell's death to 2507 North Franklin Road in the Claredon area. [1] This would become the last physical address of the party before Koehl moved it to New Berlin, Wisconsin in the mid-1980s. The small red brick building is now a coffee shop called "The Java Shack" [2], and serves a racially diverse community.[16]

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » April 8th, 2009, 11:18 pm

I never harbored an iota of doubt that you wouldn't pick up on the address faster than a speeding bullet. :)

Do you also possess the ability to bend steel in your bare hands, leap tall buildings in a single bound and are you also more powerful than a speeding locomotive? :D

Francesca Moffet

Postby Francesca Moffet » April 9th, 2009, 8:04 am

Well, whether it is offensive to certain people or not it has cheered me up a bit as I am having a rough day.

I actually burst out laughing during the ranting...and I'm going to watch it again.
Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, and they both take practice.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » April 9th, 2009, 6:20 pm

Francesca wrote:Well, whether it is offensive to certain people or not it has cheered me up a bit as I am having a rough day.

I actually burst out laughing during the ranting...and I'm going to watch it again.

He certainly caused million of Europeans and American G.I.s to have a rough day(s).

The lucky American soldiers got sent to Stalag 13 to laugh it up with Colonel Hogan, Colonel Klink and Sergeant Schultz.

The bottom of the tasteless barrel apparently has ten subbasements.

Perhaps some happy-go-lucky prankster will make a video of someone's dead mother and trick it out so that she appears to be ranting about David Blaine.

Tastelessness is tastelessness, either you have it or you don't, no shades of gray.

I am truly sorry that you are afflicted with the malady as there is no known cure.

Wrong War, but the lesson is the same:
"In Flanders's field the poppies grow;
Between the crosses row on row..."

I highly recommend that you read Rudyard Kipling's, The Gardener.

Your Good Friend,
Raymond

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » April 9th, 2009, 8:22 pm

Ray T. Stott wrote:He certainly caused million of Europeans and American G.I.s to have a rough day(s).

Yes. And for that, he shall be neither forgotten nor forgiven, that damned Chris Angel.

I take it that you've never seen 'Allo 'Allo either?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkz1ecxrQO4

Francesca Moffet

Postby Francesca Moffet » April 9th, 2009, 9:01 pm

Ray T. Stott wrote:
Francesca wrote:Well, whether it is offensive to certain people or not it has cheered me up a bit as I am having a rough day.

He certainly caused million of Europeans and American G.I.s to have a rough day(s).

The lucky American soldiers got sent to Stalag 13 to laugh it up with Colonel Hogan, Colonel Klink and Sergeant Schultz.

The bottom of the tasteless barrel apparently has ten subbasements.

Perhaps some happy-go-lucky prankster will make a video of someone's dead mother and trick it out so that she appears to be ranting about David Blaine.

Tastelessness is tastelessness, either you have it or you don't, no shades of gray.

I am truly sorry that you are afflicted with the malady as there is no known cure.

Wrong War, but the lesson is the same:
"In Flanders's field the poppies grow;
Between the crosses row on row..."

I highly recommend that you read Rudyard Kipling's, The Gardener.

Your Good Friend,
Raymond

How can you possibly think that someone who creates a spoof video from a movie is condoning Hitler and his crimes? Or that someone who has watched it is a fan of Hitler?

There are LOTS of spoofs of Hitler around, they poke fun at him not his countless victims. You seem to have forgotten that in the end he failed to achieve his goal and commited suicide like a coward.

Do you intend to reprimand everyone in Britain who has watched Allo Allo?...Which is considered a BBC comedy classic and still airs here on Sunday afteroons.

You are taking your political correctness a tad too far.
Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, and they both take practice.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » April 9th, 2009, 9:05 pm

Tom Stone wrote:
Ray T. Stott wrote:He certainly caused million of Europeans and American G.I.s to have a rough day(s).

Yes. And for that, he shall be neither forgotten nor forgiven, that damned Chris Angel.

I take it that you've never seen 'Allo 'Allo either?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkz1ecxrQO4

Yumping Yiminy, Ve hear frum annuder great Svedish patriot.
A reasonable reply from a citizen of a country whose greatest contribution to the war effort was making concessions to the Nazis.

Below is a photograph taken in 1939 of Swedish King Gustav V and Crown Prince
[color:#CC0000][size:11pt]Adolph[/size][/color] Gustav smooching Generalfeldmarschall Hermann Gring's nether region while presenting him a medal

Take a moment to note the military uniform that the prince is wearing. See similarities in re. the one being worn by the fat guy on his left? ;)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 9th, 2009, 9:12 pm

Mr. Stott, you are about to cross the line to never never land, so watch it.

Unless someone has something intelligent to add to this thread, I'll be locking it later this evening.

Return to “Link Watch”