Viking Himber rings experience?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Roland

Viking Himber rings experience?

Postby Roland » January 5th, 2009, 1:51 am

Does anyone have experience with the $400 or so Viking Himber rings? The Ladies' Cubic Zirconia Ring looks beautiful.

Thanks,
Roland
www.DanceOfIllusion.com

HenningPaul

Re: Viking Himber rings experience?

Postby HenningPaul » February 26th, 2009, 12:39 am

Hi Roland,

The linking finger rings have been a staple of my stand-up act. I was advised long ago to avoid "ladies finger rings," for liability reasons. I stick to men's rings, stating that they are heartier and easier for everyone to see.

I've had a few ladies diamond rings passed up to me (to trip me up?), but I continued with them, while very nervous.

I'll have to admit - Joe Porper's ring, which I use now, incorporates a "twist" that makes the whole effect run more seamlessly. The McComb/Biro pencil prop really makes for a nice finish.

Just my experience...
Regards,

HP

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 21st, 2009, 7:19 pm

HenningPaul... glad you find my ring design to your liking. However, the pencil was from Al Koran. McComb's was more like the non-sliding pin/hook marketed by Harry Stanley under Koran's name.
Stay tooned.

HenningPaul

Postby HenningPaul » March 24th, 2009, 3:11 am

Pete,

Sorry not to credit you on the "pen." I knew that you / Billy / Koran were the masterminds behind the gaff, and I know that your collective minds have added a brilliant twist to the finale. Well done. You are one of my creative heroes (along with Billy).

HP

HenningPaul

Postby HenningPaul » March 24th, 2009, 3:13 am

P.S.

Did you really come up with the modified Himber? Wow!

HP

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 7th, 2009, 8:37 pm

Yessereee... I designed the ring and Joe Porper did the machine work on it and the special pencil. I had permission to do the pencil from Koran. The first that used one was the late Bruce Cervon. His routine was beyond anything anyone else has done, even Koran's based on Bruce's handling/location of the spectators.

Interestingly, I just uncovered a letter I got YEARS AGO from Karrell Fox with a routine that TOTALLY ELIMINATES ANY SWITCHING OF THE RINGS. It is diabaolical, clever, and SIMPLE.
Stay tooned.

Dave Mithaca

Postby Dave Mithaca » April 9th, 2009, 10:35 am

I am another user of the Biro/Porper set of linking finger rings. I was thrilled when I found out that this was being made. I was lucky enough to see Bruce Cervon perform his routine a number of years ago and remember thinking that this was one of the greatest illusions ever. Thanks Pete!

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » April 9th, 2009, 1:07 pm

I've hheard a few times about Cervon's routine but never seen it. Is there a film anywhere? Or would someone like to give some detail about what made it so good? Thanks

Dave Mithaca

Postby Dave Mithaca » April 14th, 2009, 5:09 pm

The Genii magazine issue with Bruce Cervon on the cover from several years ago has an excellent article where he mentions his routine.

I think what makes his performance of the linking finger rings the best I've ever seen (alhtough I have heard great things about other routines) is how Cervon managed the three participants. He had some built in convincers and the angles were perfect.

It's pure magic when one sees, during the middle phase of the routine, the two rings dangling from the pen and then one simply melts through the other and drops into the participant's cupped hands. I remember thinking, "No Way!" and then immediately thinking that it must be some type of electromagnetic principle involved. And then thinking that borrowed gold rings wouldn't have magnetic properties to allow for this illusion...It was a great feeling of awe! Simple plot, great magic. Seeing Cervon perform this live will last with me forever and I'm fairly certain that I'm not alone thinking this way.

I would hope that there's film out there somewhere of Cervon performing his routine. Maybe Mr. Biro would know about this possibility? It would be a darn shame if there isn't. Once in a while I put in my old VHS of Al Goshman performing at the Castle. I'm glad somebody had the vision to record his wonderful show.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 26th, 2009, 12:58 am

I don't know of any film/video of Cervon's finger ring routine. The ring dropping, as if melting, into spectator's hands is done with the gaffe I detailed for him. His father did the mechanical work. Now tht is available with my design ring from Joe Porper. The original concept was Al Koran's who gave it to me.
Stay tooned.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » April 26th, 2009, 1:14 am

I have a set of the ring and pencil of Pete's design made by Porper. They are professional grade and are well worth the investment.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”