Gambit Magazine

Talk about what is being written in other magic publications.
AJM

Gambit Magazine

Postby AJM » March 24th, 2009, 6:22 pm

Anyone willing to share their views on Gambit Magazine, which is advertised on this very site?

Cheers

Andrew

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Gambit Magazine

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 24th, 2009, 8:57 pm

I just looked at the website myself. It's so new, no one has probably received it yet.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

DrDanny

Postby DrDanny » March 24th, 2009, 9:39 pm

I actually received my copy yesterday. Overall I'm a bit underwhelmed, I think. It's well produced, looks nice, and the photos are mostly pretty good. I even liked a couple of the tricks -- the "In a Glimpse/Liar, Liar" in particular is a keen idea, although I suspect it's a re-invention.

What I think misses the mark is the humor. I think he's trying too hard to mimic the Ibidem style of off-the-wall-ness. Plus, some of it just sophomoric (and I'm no prude, far from it).

I'll likely pop for issue #2 when it appears: there's a good chance this will improve and settle into something interesting.

That's my $0.02, and it's worth every penny you paid to read it. ;-)

pduffie

Postby pduffie » March 27th, 2009, 4:56 pm

I bought a copy of the 1st issue last month. I thought the material was first rate. Some of the moves are not easy to explain but they are very deceptive once the timing and attitude is understood. As for the humour; it had me laughing, so it worked for me :) But I am a very sad person :) The humour issue is a difficult one because we all have a different sense of it. Anyway, for me, issue #1 was success in both style and content and I look forward to issue #2 with anticipation.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » March 29th, 2009, 5:18 am

If you really, really love card magic, then Gambit is probably for you. It presumes you have achieved at least an intermediate level of prficiency and knowledge of the pasteboards. That means that standard sleights are not always explained.

I wish there were a video of some of the moves, like the Simulation Shuffle, Face-Up Stripping Controls and EGD Bottom Deal. That's because some of Ben's technique depends upon psychological subtlety (see his video 'Skin' to see what I'm talking about). I'm sorry that when I bought Gambit at the Blackpool convention I didn't get a chance to ask Ben to do some of this stuff for me. I did get a chance to have him sign the magazine -- I was standing talking to Peter Duffie at the time.

I enjoyed most of the humor, although the naked ladies stuff is a bit sophomoric. Then again, Al Leech also liked this sort of thing.

The magazine is beautifully produced on glossy paper, with big, clear photos and nice layout, and the material is stimulating -- it makes you think. The homage to the late Kevin Fox is heartfelt.

I'm looking forward to issue 2.

Matt Field

Richard Morrell

Postby Richard Morrell » March 30th, 2009, 5:30 am

Attendees of the Session Convention back in January got chance to see Ben perform some of this material, someone commented to me that it was like seeing Lennart Green for the first time, you really can't believe what you are seeing, almost like being a layman again, what a great feeling.

In Ben's hands these pieces are simply magical, on seeing his Simulation Shuffle you would swear it couldn't be false, and when you see the explanation and what he is actually doing, it is even more remarkable. He also demonstrated some of the deck switches that will be in future issues, incredible!

The piece that I am working on at the minute is Gambling Lesson which is a version of Chad Long's Shuffling Lesson, framed in a great way that hides the procedure even more but is still as self-working, well worth buying the issue just for this! I for one look forward to issue 2...

D. Andrus

Postby D. Andrus » April 1st, 2009, 9:39 am

I look forward to receiving this new magazine. Just curious as to how long it takes to receive it in the states once ordered? I payed by Paypal awhile back and haven't heard anything....No emails or replies through Paypal saying when it is going to ship, etc... I know it has to travel "across the pond." Just wondering if it takes weeks or months to receive.

Bob Plaut

Postby Bob Plaut » April 1st, 2009, 10:44 am

I received mine in CT just over a week after ordering it.

D. Andrus

Postby D. Andrus » April 1st, 2009, 1:31 pm

Thanks Bob....I am in Michigan. Based on your timing, I should have it soon.

Alan M

Postby Alan M » April 1st, 2009, 3:39 pm

Same experience as Bob Plaut - mine arrived in Los Angeles just over a week after ordering.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » April 1st, 2009, 3:46 pm

Packages will take around seven days to get from the UK to the US. In some cases things I have sent got there after five days, but seven is the norm.

Take care, Ian

Gordolini

Postby Gordolini » April 1st, 2009, 4:23 pm

Same timing for me - I was impressed with the prompt service and delivery.

AJM

Postby AJM » April 2nd, 2009, 2:35 pm

Got my copy - although have only had the opportunity to briefly flick through the contents. Looks good though.

I'm curious however as to the true identity of contributor Pat Mustard as I recall a character of the same name appearing in a classic episode of Father Ted.

(BTW, anyone unfamiliar with FT should get hold of the DVD box set - NOW!)

Cheers

Andrew
Last edited by AJM on April 2nd, 2009, 2:36 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: spelling - AGAIN

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » October 30th, 2009, 6:36 am

Is the magazine still up & running?

Paul Gordon
Secure Online Magic Shop: https://www.paulgordon.net/shop

Return to “Other Magic Publications”