Bro. John Hamman effect

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Don Knox
Favorite Magician: John Carney, Whit "Pop" Haydn, Eugene Burger

Bro. John Hamman effect

Postby Don Knox » March 30th, 2009, 10:44 pm

I have recently bought The Miracle Factory's "Mystic Craig's Camera". Excellent, by the way.

On Volume One there are two performance sets by Bro. John Hamman. One in 1958 and one in 1961. The opening trick on the 1961 set is a four-card effect. He shows three black cards and one red card, a Jack. He places the Jack in his breast pocket and then turns the black packet face towards him. He flicks the packet with his finger and then counts off and displays two blacks and the red Jack. He puts the red Jack in his pocket.

He repeats the transposition again and places the Jack in his pocket with the others. He comments that it will be harder to repeat the effect with just one card and then twirls the remaining black card by the diagonal corners slowly until it changes to the red Jack.

He removes the three cards from his pocket and displays them as the blacks he began with.

Obviously my question is: What is the name of this effect and has it been published?

Thanks,
Don

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Bro. John Hamman effect

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 31st, 2009, 12:43 am

Don't believe it's been published.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 31st, 2009, 1:00 am

When you get to the one with the ace through ten of clubs, that one is available from Cards by Martin. It's a lot of fun.

Don Knox
Favorite Magician: John Carney, Whit "Pop" Haydn, Eugene Burger

Postby Don Knox » March 31st, 2009, 11:07 am

Richard: Thanks for at least vindicating my research methods. I had gone through your book three times and couldn't find anything.

It certainly is a clean and direct handling. He handles everything with his fingertips and it looks about as magical as is possible.

Pete: Thanks for the lead on Cards by Martin. I found it and it looks like a near-future purchase.

Don

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 31st, 2009, 11:33 am

If the Ace through 10 of CLubs trick is Mumble Jumble, the rights are owned by Geno Munari who owns Houdini's Magic in Vegas and he sells it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Reference Room”