My experience with Snap Illusions

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Germar The Magic

My experience with Snap Illusions

Postby Germar The Magic » February 1st, 2009, 9:09 am

I bought 2 Illusions with the Co Called Snap Illusions and I called them not less than 100 times and never ever got a single call back, the Illusions came 5 months late right after I told them about a Law suit. The Illusions were well made but I had to change a few things to make them stronger, It was frustrating the fact that they will never ever contact you or answer any of your questions

Germar The Magic

Re: My experience with Snap Illusions

Postby Germar The Magic » February 1st, 2009, 9:10 am

I am happy with the Illusions and the price, just the fact that they never answer the phone or contact you was frustrating

mikeymizz

Postby mikeymizz » February 1st, 2009, 12:20 pm

hey guys I just delt with this same thing all you have to door be patient they are a company that takes its time yes they tell u its going to take 8-10 weeks but it does take about ten times that long but when u finally recieve it it does make of worth the wait the prices are good and the illusions are built to specs set by the customer . Sometimes we read a post and it makes us panic but all in all of bought two illusions one took five months the other took six and I was frustrated ad well when I called but finally got it and I am very happy my advice is just be patient and u will see

mikeymizz

Postby mikeymizz » February 1st, 2009, 6:39 pm

when I say ten times I joke of course but I would give them about six months and I am sure you will get a response if not the illusion but again I have two of the snap illusions and have been pleasently surprised good luck

Germar The Magic

Postby Germar The Magic » February 5th, 2009, 2:57 pm

I got 2 Illusions with Snap Illusions, and even they were a bit late I have to say that I am very happy with their work, and the great price. If you order an Illusion with Snap Illusions, be patient, you will get them for sure and at a great price.
Some times they will longer time to build them, so be patient is worth it!
I was also a little late on my payments...
Don't go crazy calling them, don't worry they will deliver the Illusions
Thank you
Germar

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » February 15th, 2009, 3:26 am

Germar The Magic wrote:I got 2 Illusions with Snap Illusions, and even they were a bit late I have to say that I am very happy with their work, and the great price. If you order an Illusion with Snap Illusions, be patient, you will get them for sure and at a great price.
Some times they will longer time to build them, so be patient is worth it!
I was also a little late on my payments...
Don't go crazy calling them, don't worry they will deliver the Illusions
Thank you
Germar

I do not believe that a five months delay would qualify, by any stretch of the imagination, as, "being a bit late."

This outfit is definitely wrong, and your last post to the contrary, it seems that you spent a great deal of time "calling them" and being driven crazy enough to threaten to sue them.

Somehow they have managed to get their shameful DSR totals wiped on their feedback page. This took a bit of doing because their last negative feedback was in October 2008 and, according to eBay, that "rolling average" that they claim to use on the 12 month Detailed Seller Rating should have been on board an active for another nine months.

Now their DSR's shows that the gold stars will appear after they receive ten detailed feedbacks.

What happened to the visible evidence of their dirty laundry.

Some seller who is a board member may know how this came to be, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out.

I can provide an educated guess as to the reasons behind their ever growing customer dissatisfaction.

Started off with, "It would be great to manufacture and sell stage illusions and make a pot of money doing something that we really enjoy!

Capitalization

Started off on a string > enjoyed success in the beginning >
never placed any funds in reserve > multiple families living on the profits > working capital begins to evaporate > everyone living on working capital as profits are teetering > begin using cash from new orders to build and ship past due orders > get caught in the switches when the economy goes south > orders dry up > working capital disappears > collapse.
Prognosis: The two biggest reasons that are the root of all business failures during the first five years of operation:

1. Undercapitalization or thin capitalization (the more dangerous of the pair)
2. Lack of management skills and/or business experience.

Not answering telephone + no replies to e-mail x excessively slow, or no deliveries = Something rotten in the state of Denmark.
It's not about the magic; it's about the daily box office gross.

Perry

Postby Perry » February 15th, 2009, 11:31 pm

I am seriously concerned with SNAP Illusions!!!! I bought Assistants revenge in October paid with Paypal and had numerous e-mails and Telephone discusions on my order and delivery. Approx 12 weeks for delivery. Then I also ordered from their website of used illusions an Orange Lemon Canary prop and paid paypal and it wes delivered within 6 days. When received it was in a cordbaord box half way packed and the box had bad corners from the shipping with some shipping peanuts comming out.The cage was damaged from shipping. I called Snap --E-mailed pictures and asked for the shipping info to file claim and I have gotten no responses from anything for the past almost 3 months. They will not answer their phone or e-mails!!! I call every week, almost every day and have left voice mails!! Ther is no responce anywhere!!! I have a Canary Cage that is damaged beyond use and apparently I am out $2000 plus dollars on props I'll never get????
If you check E-bay they have props all over it and also on the Magic castle auction!!! I'm afraid people are getting taken??

Postby 000 » February 16th, 2009, 10:42 am

Waiting for delivery: tolerable
Refusing to answer calls, or reply to e mails: intolerable

Read Germars post above, apparently he got right after talking lawsuit. With 3 million lawyers ( thats 25% of the worlds lawyers with 5% of the global population) in the USA, pehaps a friend of a friend ( ie a lawyer) can write them a little letter.
Good luck.............$2000 ain't small change in anyone's language

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » February 16th, 2009, 11:49 am

If you paid with paypal or a credit card - simply dispute the charge ... very simple to resolve.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » February 16th, 2009, 11:59 am

Craig Mitchell wrote:If you paid with paypal or a credit card - simply dispute the charge ... very simple to resolve.

Maybe not so simple, Craig.

Depending on his card issuer, if indeed it was paid using a credit card, Perry is pushing the time limit, if not past it, for many U.S. banks

As many complaints see on this forum alone he should take it up with PayPal even at this late date. I would think that there are other complaints filed with them.

If enough exist they will roll back the clock on their dispute time limitation and seek a remedy from the seller.

But with PayPal's obtuse user agreement, among the most non-specific I've ever read , very specific on penalties and nebulous on remedies, who is to say how many complaints are sufficient to bring this about?

Perry

Postby Perry » February 16th, 2009, 10:14 pm

I paid with paypal, that went straight from my bank account. I just can't believe Snap won't even acknowelage any request for info. I just wanted my props, a fellow friend magician had great sucess with them last year and they talked to him all the time on the phone. So how could they just turn all of a sudden, with a website that is so informative. I think I'll do the Lawyer thing.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » February 17th, 2009, 2:58 am

Perry wrote:I paid with paypal, that went straight from my bank account. I just can't believe Snap won't even acknowelage any request for info. I just wanted my props, a fellow friend magician had great sucess with them last year and they talked to him all the time on the phone. So how could they just turn all of a sudden, with a website that is so informative. I think I'll do the Lawyer thing.

I wish you good luck however you choose to pursue a remedy.
Requiring payment in full on an order that will take months to deliver is a bad policy for buyers. These guys seem to ship instantly on some items. My guess would be that those quickly shipped items were either already constructed or a few days away from being so.

Their two month "custom build" time is now hogwash and designed to put enough time between payment and delivery (if ever) to bury PayPal's stated dispute window and leave customers like yourself holding the empty bag.

The payment requirements among many reputable builders, with the notable exception of highly customized props, is a percentage at point upon placing the order, an additional percentage at mid-construction and the balance due in full prior to crating and shipping.

Sellers who demand payment in full, with a disreputable history of purgatorial shipping times, have no incentive to complete your order promptly as they already have 100% of their selling price - from you.

I have never understood why anyone deals with concerns as these but a buyer would be well advised to put a credit card between himself and the seller.

If deadlines are missed and communications cease you will have the legal clout of disputing the entire charge with the card issuer and if the seller does not come to heel follow through with the dispute quickly.

You have then turned the seller into the bag holder and you are free go about your business a bit wiser.

You are not a bank, do not let these people turn you into a long term source of 0% APR financing.
Never place yourself in the middle of any purchase from an unknown or disreputable seller, it's as easy as pie to place a third entity in the middle with the muscle to resolve your difficulties and they wont give a damn about unanswered telephone calls or unanswered emails.

As to pursuing a remedy at law, if your are not close enough to the defendant to hail him into small claims or magistrate's court and handle your end pro se, the services of an attorney, unless you have a good friend or relative licensed to practice law, that will assist you pro bono, the costs of litigation will very likely outstrip the $2000+ for which you are already on the hook.

Do check with a competent attorney on this matter and pay him for a hour of his time to lay out the cost/benefit side of a law suit and remember that if you prevail in a small claims action or any other type of action, all that you will receive is a money judgment and the requirement for further work to turn it into an execution order. Unless you are seeking an equitable remedy and demanding specific performance from the defendant to complete and ship your items post haste, all you may end up with is a piece of paper if there is no unencumbered property to seize and realize.

I hope the above proves useful to you.
Ray

axko

Postby axko » February 24th, 2009, 8:46 am

I can only warn every magician to be aware to buy from snap illusions. The only time they always answer your emails even within an hour is when they want your oder and your money they promise you everything and they are very fast sending banking details. BUT After I have made my payment the nightmare began.

They have promised me to deliver right in time for my christmas show this was in beginning september. They told me they need 6 to 8 weeks. This was fine for me and there was enough spare time. But you know what, not only one illusion arrive for christmas show.
I have bought 12 Illusions (because the customer service was so fast and nice) and now after 6 month they have delivered three. One of them looks used and old. No crate case as ordered and paid. One Illusion needs even to be repaired (the old looking one)

Now guess what, emails are ignored and not get answered. Phone calls?? Only an answering machine and they never ever call you back. Then sometimes they answer you but they lie. They told me that this and this illusion is ready just need to be painted but then nothing and the illusion shipped was an other one.

I had the chance to get a contract for weekly show in a nice theater beginning in January, could not sign it as I miss all the important illusions.

I have given them a dead line now for tommorow, if they not deliver they need to pay back or I going to sue them right now.
This is not a behaviour for business people.

I bought many illusions from other dealers and they always fast and in time, never ever have experienced such bad behaviour.

I lost now 3 month income from my shows. (We are in the process of creating a brand new show here)

So all my fellow magicinas BE AWARE DO NOT BUY FROM SNAP ILLUSIONS!!

Snap Illusions

Postby Snap Illusions » February 24th, 2009, 1:43 pm

Lets talk about the 177 illusions have shipped between January 2008 and today. This is not just a number pulled out of the air, we have shipping receipts to back up this number. About 50% of our business is repeat customers who come back and order additional illusions, sometimes full illusion shows. Our illusions are featured on cruise ships, broadway productions, theme parks, gospel televison shows, etc. We have literally hundreds of happy customers. You dont get compliments from customers asking for their comments to be put on your website, if you are not satisfying your customers: http://www.snapillusions.com/Customer_Testimonials.html.

Lets talk about, how it would be safe to say that we are one of the busiest custom illusion companies, because of our great prices and because our illusions are quality made. Unlike other companies out there who charge 3 times the price we do, they might only be working on 1 or 2 orders at a time...we have many more orders to complete than they do...sometimes an illusion can be delayed , as explained in our policies on our website: All deadline dates quoted for custom made illusions are approximate estimates and may be subject to change as each and every part of our illusions are fabricated by hand. We also from time to time may need to order various parts or have them fabricated outside of our facility. We always recommend that you have an alternative effect ready in the event that your order is delayed.

The misconception is if an illusion is a little behind schedule, then automatically we are doing something dishonest...certain advise givers on forums should be ashamed of themselves to insinuate this, when they know absolutely nothing about what they are talking about. Obviously since we have shipped 177 illusions out, we are completing orders.

Lets talk about, the fact that every attempt is made to make the deadline date. On illusion orders for 2 or more illusions, an approximate deadline date is given for each illusion, because obviously we dont start all of the illusions at the same time, as we have multiple customers which we are building for. When an illusion is ordered, it is put on our production schedule. We try our very best to keep the customer updated on its status. If a customer wants us to build a custom illusion which is not on our website, they are told that the turnaround time is longer than the approximate turnaround time as plans have to be drawn up.

Lets talk about custom made illusions...we carry nothing in stock and dont ship out anything used, unless it is purchased from our used page, which are items ( not manufactured by us) that we get in on trade. Everything is custom made for each client to their specifications and custom choices.

We have a video tour of our shop, and as you can see we are a fully functioning magic manufacturing facility: http://www.snapillusions.com/Video_Tour.html. For those of you who are close to our area, I would highly recommend setting up an appointment to come and visit us.

Lets talk about answering the phone. We make every attempt to answer the phone, but if it goes over to voice mail it is because we are in the shop area completing orders. A lot of our questions are answered after hours...sometimes we answer by email as we have customers all over the world in all different time zones...we dont just quit working after 5PM, we respond to emails 7 days a week , all hours and the day and night.

Lets talk about forums and the internet. Unfortunately anything can be said about a company, true or false and it shows up for all to read. There are always 2 sides of the story. I personally have never been a person who liked to post on forums, because it turns into back and forth discussion, which takes up time that I need to concentrate on fulfilling orders. I would never intentionally say harsh things about anyone for all to read, as I dont believe it to be the professional way to conduct business. There have been many circumstances when something has been said that was totally wrong, and only half of the story, but I have let it go by for the sake of not getting pulled into a web of false statements. There are many people out there , who have never ordered a single thing from us, but feel that they are an expert on our company but the truth is what they are saying is only an opinion, not facts...if you want facts, come to me, I own the company. Email me at: sales@snapillusions.com I will be more than happy to answer any questions you have.

Jack
Snap Illusions
317-346-4123 x 3

Sebastien L.

Postby Sebastien L. » February 24th, 2009, 2:02 pm

For all you'd like to talk about you sure weren't willing to talk about customers who are waiting on deliveries and are apparently at the end of their rope.

If a customer has issues and you are not responding to them, they should be perfectly free to let others know of their experience. You may not want to talk about it or adress their statements and concerns in any way, but that doesn't mean we won't listen. Once you want to talk about what we want to talk about, we may communicate. Until then, sticking your fingers in your ears and chanting your own praises is unlikely to get you much of a positive response.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » February 24th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Sebastien L. wrote:For all you'd like to talk about you sure weren't willing to talk about customers who are waiting on deliveries and are apparently at the end of their rope.

If a customer has issues and you are not responding to them, they should be perfectly free to let others know of their experience. You may not want to talk about it or adress their statements and concerns in any way, but that doesn't mean we won't listen. Once you want to talk about what we want to talk about, we may communicate. Until then, sticking your fingers in your ears and chanting your own praises is unlikely to get you much of a positive response.

:D :D

Perry

Postby Perry » February 24th, 2009, 10:38 pm

Jack---If you are true then why have not answwered my multiple e-mails and pictures I sent of the damaged Orange lemon canary cage you shipped me barely packaged and got damaged. You could have given effort to claim against the shipping company I know you would not ship without some insurance! I am wondering if I will get my Assistants Revenge I ordered, just a simple effort on an e-mail saying another 2 to 3 months would at least let me know you are going to ship in my lifetime. I am a business owner and I could never leave any customer Hanging as you do. You said you are working in the shop and work late at nite --You haven't ever answered one time when I have called or when I sent emails and Pictures of the damaged Cage ---I just e-mailed you in the past 3 days!!! could you give some kind of responce at least tell me if I have a prop comming in my lifetime ?????? it has been 4 months and nothing!!!!!!! My name is Perry Vincent Please check my order status.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » February 24th, 2009, 11:41 pm

:sleep: :sleep: Jack---If you are true then why have not answwered my multiple e-mails and pictures I sent of the damaged Orange lemon canary cage you shipped me barely packaged and got damaged. :sleep: :sleep:

:sleep: Jack is resting. (0n his laurels) :sleep: Please do not disturb him for another six months or so...shhhh
Patience is a virtue you know. :sleep: :sleep: All good things come to he who waits - a year or so. :)

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » March 3rd, 2009, 10:37 pm

Great!! Mr. Snap Illusions has time to post on the Internet but no time to return calls.

This is an outrage I tell you !!!
Silly Walter The Polar Bear

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » March 4th, 2009, 7:46 am

They also have time to make unauthorized copies of illusions such as headmover and gemini cage just to name two.

Don't feel bad. I got a personal email with the same reply. 177 illusions....does that include thumbtips. Or maybe the quality is so low that they can knock off and knock out these things that fast...or can they? Apparently not by the problems outlined above.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Perry

Postby Perry » March 5th, 2009, 1:31 am

Unbelivingly I got a e-mail response,from Jack at snap Illusions, with excuses,(or reasonings) but he seemed sinsere and he said I would be recieving my Assistnts revenge this week! Well we'll see???
I do know he needs help with his customer service! I am a reasonable person and prabably to much so but I'll give it a chance, mabey he can get his business together!!!!!!!!!

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 5th, 2009, 1:19 pm

I have been concerned about these "copies." On his site he claims his adaptations are all done from public domain sources. How is Modern Art covered in a public domain source?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 5th, 2009, 4:23 pm

Modern Art is not public domain. But anyone who buys the book is allowed to make one, but not many, and not sell them. However there is no legal apparatus to prevent this that I'm aware of.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 5th, 2009, 5:18 pm

Shunning could go a little way - maybe?

Terry

Postby Terry » March 5th, 2009, 5:36 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:Shunning could go a little way - maybe?

In the Wal-Mart world we live in?

People will express public outrage while secretly placing their orders.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 5th, 2009, 5:37 pm

Here's my experience with Snap Illusions today: they owe us $875 for advertising in Genii and have not paid the bill. Our latest attempt to bill them failed: the invoice was returned to us with a note from the post office that their P.O. Box (to which their mail was being forwarded from their original address) has been closed.

Any of you who order from them and get screwed have been forewarned.

UPDATE: So Jack just calls me and interrupts my dinner and accuses me of "blackmail" because I posted that he hasn't paid his advertising bill.

He is going to print out the message and give it to an attorney.

I ask him why he hasn't paid for each ad in Genii in the required 30 days after it was published by us and he has no answer.

He tells me that they have a new address.

I guess we're supposed to send the bill again.

I ask him why he doesn't answer the phone when his customers call (as has been cited above) and he tells me that his customers want him building illusions, not spending all day at his desk answering the phone.

He accused me of allowing this thread to proceed because he's been told by others that I'm friends with certain illusion builders and will allow disparaging remarks about other illusion builders because of that. Since I do not know ANY illusions builders, I don't know what he's talking about.
Last edited by Richard Kaufman on March 5th, 2009, 7:22 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Edited to update original remarks and add new ones.

Snap Illusions

Postby Snap Illusions » March 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

First of all, anyone and everyone knows that Snap Illusions is located at 398 E. Jefferson Street, Franklin, IN 46131. Our address is on the website and has always been on the website, and had been given to Genii Magazine. The address he is referring to is a home address we had over a year ago. We pulled out of Genii Magazine because we did a survey with our customers and found out that Genii was doing nothing to improve our sales and in fact the inaccurate postings were actually creating more of a headache for us and we didn't think they were treating us fairly in the forums, as anyone can say anything and our response only seems to inflame these people to do more. We are a small business, we are producing many illusions for customers all over the world, and trying to spend as much of our day building illusions. We keep our prices very low by keeping our staff small and our overhead low. Now, this does mean that we heavily rely on email and one very good reason is we have a written record of every correspondence with our customers. I did call Richard Kaufman to explain my feelings towards his post and the reasons why he has not received his payment. We are not going to just stand back and let people slander our company. Chalet magic was taking 3 and 4 years to get customers their products, we might be running a few weeks behind on certain illusions, but we are getting others out in 3 or 4 weeks. Bottom line is, anyone can come by our business anytime and I will be happy to show them our production facility and the files with 177 illusions shipped this year. People like Richard Hughes have an agenda with certain acquaintances in the magic community, as for the comment about thumb tips, I have records and these are all large scale illusions and I think the photos and customer comments on our website more than speak for the quality of our illusions. He lives a few hours from us, I have invited him to come down and visit to take a look for himself , but as usual this is someone that wants to assume that they know all about our company. The sour grapes really is this, we don't charge the large amount like some builders and do 2 or 3 orders a month. Magicians all over the world have been able to create large illusion shows with our products, not just doing one illusion, but many. This rubs certain members of the magic community the wrong way. I know, I have taken the calls from the big names. We are not going to stop making quality illusions at great prices. Yes, you might have to wait a little bit, but you are going to be very happy with the illusion you get. Some people get it and some people don't, and usually the ones who don't have an agenda. Richard Kaufman's agenda is very clear in his post, it's not to help magician's , it was to imply that we had an address that was not stable and therefore, in our opinion slander our company. I have instructed him to send the bill to the correct address and it will be paid. I try to keep my spirits up and keep on working, I sincerely believe in the goodness of most people. I will continue to produce nice illusions and serve our customers in the most efficient manner possible.

Jack
Snap Illusions

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » March 5th, 2009, 8:23 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:I have been concerned about these "copies." On his site he claims his adaptations are all done from public domain sources. How is Modern Art covered in a public domain source?

I don't know the specifics about this builder, but when I was looking into purchasing a Modern Art quite a few builders were having you buy the book along with the prop. Every purchaser having the right to have one built, the prop that came with the book was then your one.

If this is the actual practice it strikes me as fair: Jim gets compensated for the idea with every purchase of the prop.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 5th, 2009, 8:38 pm

It's the same with the Harbin book: ostensibly only those who purchase the book are allowed to build a "Zig-Zag."

To all those who honor Steinmeyer's rights, and purchase the book as requested, good for you.

By the way, my friend Dustin has reminded that I do know one illusion builder: John Gaughan.

Snap Illusions

Postby Snap Illusions » March 5th, 2009, 9:58 pm

Genii readers, Snap Illusions Customers, and anyone else who cares to read this. Over the past year and half we have taken a small family business originally based in our garage, and grown into a company with a 5000 square foot building, numerous vendors, top notch equipment, experience builders and a community that supports our business. Many hours are spent constructing illusions, purchasing the many supplies, etc required to build these illusions, everything from high tec electronics, pneumatics, etc. all of which require a great deal of time and effort on the part of my family. Lets throw in the fact that we ship these illusions worldwide, which mean we have to take care of tracking, any shipping issues, any customs issues, any loss or damage issues. Lets add in the fact while we have anywhere from 3-5 projects going at a time, and dealing with back ordered parts, fabric stores that want to tell me when I go to buy fabric that I am buying all of it and not leaving any for other customers. These are all issues I deal with on a weekly basis. Now, lets address the telephone issue, what good would it do me to get on the telephone and spend 45-90 minutes conversing about the problems that everyone has with the other builders, and why they love our products, then I take the next call, and someone wants to spend 45-90 minutes telling me they can't understand why their crate arrived with one of the corner pieces broke off of it. Here is my point, someone can email me if there is an issue with their illusion, someone can leave a message on my voice mail, which I can get at my convenience, and handle the issue, and yes I do reserve my telephone time for customers that have questions about our products, or illusion designs or want to check on their progress of their illusion. I deal with corporate vendors everyday in my purchasing process, very rarely do I ever have to talk to someone directly, yet I still manage to get all the parts I need, take care of any issues with defective or broken parts. Mr. Kaufman complained about interrupting his dinner , and basically not receiving an $800 advertising bill which was sent to the wrong address. I was reminded of a few things this evening after a heated discussion with various family members that a few things were being overlooked in all of this. We are a small family business consisting of myself, my wife, my daugther, my son, my father and a couple other non-family members who work many long hours which are not the same hours that our business doors are open, we don't just quit working at 5PM, we have grown tremendously fast, and are serving a community of perfect strangers. This we eagerly do. What we do not appreciate is the implication that we are purposely delaying orders, not shipping items, and avoiding any customer service issues...this is simply not the case. While Mr. Kaufman has an interrupted dinner, he would carefully craft a post that would imply that we are a disreputable company, like a few other posts on this forum would try to imply the same thing. Simply implying this is an effort to discredit our company, and damage our business. I am sure anyone who reads these posts form some opinion of the company by what's said, and in some cases, a one line topic can imply a much more serious issue than is really the case. These negative things do cost our company as well as other magic companies business. I am sure that Mr. Kaufman is a very educated and knowledgeable person in the field of magic, I am also certain that Mr. Kaufman does not know the first thing about a manufacturing company as large as ours. While he has interrupted his dinner over $800, he attempts to cost our company thousands of dollars. I have no problem with someone commenting on the quality of our illusions (if they have actually purchased one), I have no problem with someone saying that they have been waiting a while for delivery, I have no problem with someone who doesn't want to purchase from our company. I do have a problem with people implying that I am a thief. I have been in the magic business for over 30 years, and while I may have had delivery delaying on the whole, I have delivered hundreds of products. Mr. Kaufman indicated that I should have some of my customers jump on the forum and defend me. Most of my customers that I talk to have indicated to me how they are keenly aware of the way these forums are used to manipulate, and trash dealers, builders and performers. I have read and heard in the magic community about various members that have had downright horrible things said about them, some very prominent names in the magic community, quit frankly I don't know if it's true or not, I certainly would not go on any forum and imply these things are true without first hand knowledge, as has been the case, with some of the posts concerning our company. Mr. Kaufman, I am sorry that I interrupted your dinner, please send the bill to the correct address. As for any other comments it is well known in business that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and that the complainers are the ones that you here from the most, and believe me, in this business to deliver over 177 illusions, and not to have any more people complaining than what I have seen, is a pretty tremendous accomplishment especially for a company as new as ours. For my customers I say to you, My family and I will continue to strive to improve our company and continue to sell quality illusions at affordable prices even though others would try a vindictive approach over small issues.

Jack
Snap Illusions

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » March 6th, 2009, 7:05 pm

Jack:

When you post, would you please use the Enter key and put a space between your paragraphs?

Thanks, mon.

Steve H

Josh Mandel
Favorite Magician: Eugene Burger

Postby Josh Mandel » March 7th, 2009, 6:48 am

Steve,

Maybe bigger companies have time to add spaces between paragraphs. Let's add in the fact that hitting the Enter key takes time that I could be spending not answering the phone. Let's add in the fact that I think our website proves that we know how to add spaces between our paragraphs when we need to. Let's talk about the fact that every time I need to enter a space between paragraphs, I have to spend another 45 minutes deciding whether or not it was correctly placed. Anyway they may be late, but here they are:
[ENTER]
[ENTER]
[ENTER]
[ENTER]
[ENTER]
[ENTER]
[ENTER]

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » March 7th, 2009, 8:43 am

Ray is correct. I had a problem with RNT2. I immediately set up a paypal dispute. What I did not know was when I set up the credit card dispute also, it cancelled the paypal dispute. With most credit cards you only have 90 days to appeal.

Late delivery is understandable. I never take money until I actually begin on that prop or purchase the materials for it.

As for my agenda..I have none except to see that all magic dealers, magicians and manufacturers conduct themselves in an ethical and truthful manner. Once someone has paid their dues and proven their track record, they are accorded the respect due. Yes, I know many illusion builders. Some are close friends. Some are not. But all are given the respect from me that they have earned.

I have no desire to ever see the Snap operations nor to invite them into my shop. Only three magicians have ever been into my shop and they were people I trust completely. I was brought into this business in the old school. Secrets are meant to be kept until one earns the right to learn them.

It seems that the main positive factor from the customers for Snap is the price. I am glad they are happy. I have seen the exact same illusion side by side with another one built by Bill Smith. There was absolutely no comparison as Bill's was far superior.

I stand by my remarks. I will not get into a urinating match with Snap.

Richard
Richard Hughes

www.hughesmagic.com

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » March 7th, 2009, 4:56 pm

Josh Mandel wrote:Steve,

...Anyway they may be late, but here they are:

[ENTER]
[ENTER]
[ENTER]
[ENTER]
[ENTER]
[ENTER]
[ENTER]

Not to be picky, but could you please put a space between each [enter]?

Thanks.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » March 11th, 2009, 10:12 pm

With eBay threatening and cudgeling folks I know about such crap as keyword spamming, etc, how is this possible??

Travis
Favorite Magician: Charles Morritt

Postby Travis » March 12th, 2009, 9:39 am

Frankly, having looked at their website, I can't imagine why anyone would place an order with this company. Most of their props look awful. Dime-store illusions, but I suppose you get what you pay for. And, on top of that, many of them are simply not deceptive. I see plenty of non-deceptive bases and non-deceptive steps.

I'd be extremely wary of these folks on the photographs alone.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » March 12th, 2009, 4:59 pm

I also stumbled across this on their site:

http://snapillusions.com/BUSINESS_CARD_ ... APHIC.html

Which does not appear to be authorized by Martin Lewis and Brian Curry (creator of the business card version).

axko

Postby axko » May 1st, 2009, 11:49 am

So now I'm here again. After reading this funny comments from Snap illusion. 6 weeks more and they still have not delivered all my orders which they have promised (not estimated) to deliver for new years eve show, but may they mean new years eve 2009.
They still have a lack of communication and still praising them self how good they are.
I received one more illusion, the spiker but this was the worst illusion I ever received in my live. It breaks the very first show because it was made in a stupid way as the spiker has a (unessecary) weight. If you have the spiker and two assistant girls and your self standing on it the whole weight of more then 500 pounds are hold by 7 tiny srews on each side. I could not believe how this illusion was made. Some other part breaks in second show. (But may I'm to stupid :) )Now we are rebuilding it with our own carpenter who is quite more experienced. Our new spiker now has half the weight looks much smaller and is now stable and safe to use. And now the illusion is more impressive as the whole table looks really small and not like you could hide an elephant in it. But this is just one part of it, not to talk about the cheap material they have used to build it. But of course its not true as they use the best and finest materials available :) according to themself.
Interesting is that they tell me that, knowing that I have the prop here and see what they have used, but they really tell me I'm wrong, what is that for an ignorance? Ignoring just facts.

They always tell us they have no time because working day and night (yes right) and have no time to sit on the computer.
Interesting, just after my first post here, they have the time to write me an email and complain about my post how I can do when they try so hard.
When I wrote them my first mails about ordering they ALWAYS answer within hours, very fast sending me bank data.
Answering questions now needs weeks some times.
They complain to me why I do not call them to talk, funny, because they never pick up the phone.

They still owe me 7 illusions not made. They ask for more time, I was giving them the time but again no delivery as promised.

After 7 month of waiting, now I wrote them that I cancell all open orders, they just ignore that. Telling me there is no reason to respond as they just finishing my orders asap what ever asap by snap illusions means.

But there is no asap anymore. I told them that wheter they deliver right now or pay my money back (which I believe according to some post above that they can't as they use it for something else) They never proof that they are real business men.

They act like ....

But I'm not willing to take this any more and further. They can not make with their customers what they want.

They call all this little issues ????

In my opinion it is time to teach them a lesson and I will do so.

They have two options with me right now

First they deliver right now at least the half of the open orders
or
they pay back my money immediately

if not, I spoke already with my lawyer, we going to sue them for fraud. Sue them for compensating my losses. Taking some ones money and not delivering is fraud. (Using false testimonials is also illegal) 7 month was plenty of time to give them a chance to fullfill the orders which was suposed to be done in 6 to 8 weeks. Estimation is fine but if I estimate then maybe I miss one week, maybe two mostly 1 month but not seven, after that time to tell me this are estimations is bull.....

They may believe that people only say that they sue them but never due, but here comes a lesson for live for them. They definetly picked the wrong guy.

If I do not get my orders delivered right now or get my money back they will wondering what is possible in the US

If anyone wants to join me and sue them let me know.

So Snap Illusions, here is your last chance to avoid a lot of trouble, I'm really fair and give you a last chance.
But now is enough and this is your last chance. Deliver or pay back. I told you I make all your emails public you have send to me with all your lies.

Your mails proof themself, I have all of them.

I'm going to proof what you are. It is up to you now.

This story with you comes to an end now in one way or the other. I will not wait an other 7 month!!!! And my lawyer says I do not need to and if you have a lawyer he maybe tells you the same.

Terry

Postby Terry » May 3rd, 2009, 9:33 am

They have a bunch of their "illusions" on the Magic Castle auction site.

http://www.magiccastleauctions.com/index.php

You can see the platforms the boxes sit on look like 1/2" plywood with casters.

Rickg77

Postby Rickg77 » July 8th, 2009, 1:25 pm

Snap Illusions are a bunch of Crooks, they take your money and are easy to access in the begining. I sent a $4,000.oo cashiers check full payment in advance and have recieved one piece of my 3-4 month order!! THEY WILL NOT RETURN PHONE CALLS, I DONT EVEN KNOW IF THEY HAVE A REAL SHOP OR NOT!!! Anyone else having problems with these crooks?? Rick Garren

Return to “General”