Matthew J Dowden's Fulcrum Vanish (March)

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
Ross Welford

Matthew J Dowden's Fulcrum Vanish (March)

Postby Ross Welford » February 26th, 2009, 9:26 am

It's probably just me. It usually is...

However, I just don't get this. I'm not sure what is supposed to be happening. At what point is the coin "supposed" to be dropped into the receiving hand? It seems to me like a classic fake transfer, with the addition of a last flash of the coin but, crucially, without the convincer of the "putting" hand turning over to suggest that the coin must be in the receiving hand.

Perhaps someone could post a video of how it's supposed to look, or maybe clarify this any other way?

Ross

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Matthew J Dowden's Fulcrum Vanish (March)

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 26th, 2009, 9:37 am

I was hoping for a video as well.

Also tempted to ask how this sleight is an improvement on the Floperino or the vanish component of Roth's Flash Change.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » February 26th, 2009, 12:25 pm

Hi Ross and Jonathan,

The distinction is that the right hand never turns palm down. I'll ask Matthew if he'll let me post the clip he sent of him performing the vanish (it looks great). And no claim was made of the vanish being "an improvement" over any of its counterparts - only an alternative.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 26th, 2009, 12:34 pm

Hi David,

I look foward to seeing that video and like sleights which offer a retention of vision effect for those who are not looking up at the performer's face during the crucial moment.

Neither the Floperino nor the Roth sleight require one to turn ones hand palm down - as they depend only on getting that flash of the coin as it levers up from against the fingers (a bit closer to the fingertips in both cases than Matthew's sleight). I have seen them both performed by their inventors as toss actions with the hand getting as far as the vertical without going palm down in the process. The Flash Change was one of the hilights of Roth's Spellbound routine has probably has to be seen to be believed.

The sleight as published is also close to Andrew Galloway's ball vanish which I later discovered can offer a retention of vision simply by picking the initial viewing angle of the ball before a slight wrist turn puts the fingers between the ball and the audience's line of vision. A similarity of hand and finger position is apparent (to me) with the exception again of Galloway's sleight happening much closer to the fingertips.

Jon
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on February 26th, 2009, 12:43 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: private

David Acer

Postby David Acer » February 26th, 2009, 12:42 pm

Hi Jon,

Understood. I'll try to get a video posted so everyone can decide if Matthew's approach might work for them.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » May 4th, 2009, 3:21 pm

Hi Folks,

For anyone who's interested, I've posted a video clip of Matthew Dowden demonstrating his "Fulcrum Vanish" from the March, 2009 issue here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO9ysNDI80Q

It's accessible to the public (though not particularly visible), so I'm taking it down in 48 hours (i.e., Wednesday, May 6th at 10:00am).

Necromancer

Postby Necromancer » May 4th, 2009, 9:08 pm

Thanks for posting this, David. If you post it instead at Photobucket.com, you can protect it so it would only be viewable to readers here and not accessible to members of the public.

Best,
Neil
Neil Tobin, Necromancer

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » May 4th, 2009, 9:16 pm

Thanks for posting this David.

To me, it looks even more deceptive (retentive?!?) with the larger object.
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Return to “Magicana”