"Geometrix Illusion" Creator/Inventor?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
A1exM

"Geometrix Illusion" Creator/Inventor?

Postby A1exM » February 22nd, 2009, 8:43 am

Hi folks

Does anyone know the name of the inventor for this illusion? It's roots etc. or any history related to it. Link below to Paul Daniels performing the illusion in 1985.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PDMagicFan

Regards Alex

hugmagic

Re: "Geometrix Illusion" Creator/Inventor?

Postby hugmagic » February 22nd, 2009, 2:12 pm

This is generally credited to Owen Magic. I think it came out about 1986 or 1987. Like everything else, it has been ripped off repeatedly.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » February 22nd, 2009, 3:02 pm

Richard;
Owen may have coined the name but the illusion concept predates the time frame you quoted above - by possibly as much as 50 years.

Edgar Benyon (The New Zealand Wizard) used a very similar illusion with many more tubes in his "Bam Boo Zalem" show perhaps as early as the late 1930's - definitely in the 1940's. His impressive illusion was designed and built by none other than Walter Jeans.
Jim

A1exM

Postby A1exM » February 22nd, 2009, 3:23 pm

Thanks Guys

I saw the illusion whilst searching this morning at Owens, but it didn't mention a creator
http://www.owenmagic.com/Illusions/Illu ... ons_5.html

Also, at http://hamiltonholtinc.stores.yahoo.net/geometrick.html
we see the Paul Osborne plans for sale, it says, "This improved version of a classic mystery is brought up to date by Paul Osborne" No mention, again, of the inventor.

Just wondered?

Alex

A1exM

Postby A1exM » February 22nd, 2009, 3:25 pm

Forgot to say Richard, your link didn't work for me, is it the ] thing at the end?

alex

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » February 22nd, 2009, 7:34 pm

A1exM wrote:Forgot to say Richard, your link didn't work for me, is it the ] thing at the end?

alex

The [color:#FF0000]][/color] thing and its brother, the [color:#FF0000][[/color] thing are called brackets.

A.K.A. the [color:#3366FF]<[/color] thing and the [color:#3366FF]>[/color] thing ;)
It's not about the magic; it's about the daily box office gross.

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » February 23rd, 2009, 8:28 am

Jim,
I believe you are probably correct. I think in the latest Owen catalog they dropped all references to the origination of effects because they so many people commenting/complaining about their references. The idea probably goes back to the old blade box concept. Walter Jeans certainly did come up with some great ideas.

I know the Geometric was introduced shortly before the SAM in Las Vegas in 1987. Jeff Davis ripped off this and Blaney's Light Box. He was told to take the stuff down or get out as they were rip off. It caused quite a stir.

Speaking on the Blade Box, Todd Robbins was trying figure out the origination of this effect. I have talked to a lot of circus guys, Jay Marshall, Marshall Brodien and others, and no one can give a definitive answer. I would be interested in anyone's input here on this.

Richard
Richard Hughes

www.hughesmagic.com

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » February 23rd, 2009, 9:57 am

Richard;
You may see a photo of Benyon's illusion in the small book "Same Man - Different Clothes The Life and Times of The Great Benyon" by James W. Reilly.

I can not provide any history on the traditional blade box origins. It has been around for a long time. BTW - Sherms had novel version that he called Noma but it was not the traditional blade box used in sideshows.
Jim

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » February 24th, 2009, 10:14 pm

Yes, I am familar with the Noma illusion. There are two surviving models of it. William King has one and Ken Klosterman the other. I have seen both. There are much more deceptive than the traditional blade box.

I just think the blade box mystery is interesting. After having asked Jay, I don't think there will every be a definitive answer on its orgins.

Richard
Richard Hughes

www.hughesmagic.com

A1exM

Postby A1exM » March 2nd, 2009, 7:50 am

Magician Jeffrey Atkins and Paul Daniels performing The Radium Girl with an assistant called Jackie on The Paul Daniels Magic Show
Created and designed by Valentine "Val" Walker (1890 - 1969)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Out_OfGD ... annel_page

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » May 3rd, 2011, 1:16 am

This is an old thread but..

I think Jim Steinmeyer credits Kuda Bux for inserting tubes into a cabinet first (or at least among the first) in his illusion. I am not familiar with the Bux illusion.

The Owen version looks great.

Does anyone know who builds or has built the Radium Girl illusion? I quite like it and was wondering if anyone currently does it or has done it. I had never heard of it and just did a quick search on it. Is that really from the 1920s?

It's very deceptive and looks Habinish or like the blade box to me.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » May 3rd, 2011, 2:55 am

Don't forget MagicPedia.

See here :

http://www.geniimagazine.com/wiki/index ... tus_Walker

Tom Tourville
Favorite Magician: Daryl

Postby Tom Tourville » July 12th, 2011, 5:12 pm

According to Jay Marshall, Kuda Bux invented the Tube Illusion which he called "Seeing Through the Girls" back in the 1940's. Later he became famous as the man with the x-ray eyes.
Sometime in the late 40's or early 50's Jay Marshall saw Kuda Bux perform the Illusion and was baffled by it. Jay told me that he got one of the girl assistants drunk and she reveled the secret.
Sometime later Jay was able to get the dimensions of the illusion from a duplicate that Kuda had sold to a very wealthy amateur magician who had promised Kuda that he would never perform the illusion publicly.
Jay asked me to build a copy around 1960. At that time Jay believed that Kuda was no longer performing. My brother and I performed the illusion for the first time on 10/8/1961 for a large group of magicians at a party celebrating Francis Marshall's 25th year in magic. The party was attended by a many of the most famous magicians in the country including Faucett Ross, Al Flosso, David Hoy, Stuart Cramer, Dia Vernon, Don Alan, Senator Crandall, Okito, Phill Willmarth, Jerry Andrus and Johnny Platt.

Tom Tourville
Tom Tourville

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”