Uri

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Uri

Postby MaxNY » February 17th, 2009, 11:15 pm

This corner aint my bag, I'm a buzz chilling freak...but. What the hell is with the cover shot? Not my choice for sure. I'm not one of those transtesticles either, don't get me wrong when I say Uri is a good looking man, he has aged very well. But, what a funky cover shot maam.

Steve Hook

Re: Uri

Postby Steve Hook » February 17th, 2009, 11:43 pm

?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 18th, 2009, 4:53 am

Max is referring to the March issue of Genii, and the cover photo of Uri Geller.

Uri gave me a selection of photos to use, and I picked an unusual one that would grab attention. I think it's cool as hell.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » February 18th, 2009, 9:07 am

Looks like a perp shot of a serial killer.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » February 18th, 2009, 12:25 pm

Got my issue yesterday (tuesday) and I like the cover. I already devoured the interview inside. Very interesting.

I wasn't around for the Carson appearance or the latter lawsuit with Randi but after reading the interview something puzzles me: I can understand Randi's goals and his problems with people like Peter Popoff and Sylvia Browne, but what was his problem with Geller? Was it just in principle?
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » February 18th, 2009, 1:03 pm

I believe it's because Uri calls himself a psychic (not a magician or illusionist) and claims that his powers are real.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » February 18th, 2009, 1:20 pm

Looks like an angry monkey on Zanax, during another "Animal's Gone Bad" show because of some ladies bee-hive haircut.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 18th, 2009, 1:25 pm

Is there going to be second edition of the Fulves book on him - this time ammended with Uri's thoughts on the handlings and perhaps signed by the man himself?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » February 18th, 2009, 5:23 pm

I see Joe, I was just wondering because I don't know of (doesn't mean there isn't one) a case where Uri took someone's money in exchange for contact with a dead relative, heal the sick, etc.

Sylvia Browne and John Edwards do this to make a living and I can understand why Randi would want to expose or even stop them. This seems to be Randi's main concern, protecting the victims.

But Geller seems to be paid as an entertainer with a message along the lines of 'I can do special things but you can too.' Not sure if Geller has ever had any 'victims' in the sense that Popoff, Edwards, Browne, and Van Prague use people.

Just some observations.

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » February 18th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Looks like that guy in college who would steal your stash...

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » February 19th, 2009, 12:16 am

Ryan Matney wrote:But Geller seems to be paid as an entertainer with a message along the lines of 'I can do special things but you can too.' Not sure if Geller has ever had any 'victims' in the sense that Popoff, Edwards, Browne, and Van Prague use people.

While Geller's public persona currently seems to be primarily as an entertainer, for many years he worked as a "psychic" giving advice. Some have compared the role he played in the household of then Mexican president Lopez-Portillo to that played by Rasputin in the Romanoff palace in Russia. For many years Geller earned large fees (he claimed to have a non-refundable deposit of $1 million against a share of royalties) to dowse for oil and other mineral deposits (for one of Geller's accounts of some of this, see this link: http://www.uri-geller.com/quest.htm). His early career as a psychic was boosted by scientists who "validated" his paranormal claims.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » February 19th, 2009, 1:15 am

Ahhhh, didn't know all of that. Interesting guy. I think Criss Angel could take a lesson from him on how to actually be mysterious.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 19th, 2009, 7:50 am

Dowsing for oil and mineral deposits is not the same as taking money to "heal" people and put you in contact with dead relatives.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 19th, 2009, 8:34 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Dowsing for oil and mineral deposits is not the same as taking money to "heal" people and put you in contact with dead relatives.

No, but claiming you can find missing children is.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » February 19th, 2009, 8:52 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Dowsing for oil and mineral deposits is not the same as taking money to "heal" people and put you in contact with dead relatives.

Claims of paranormal abilities by someone charismatic (like Geller) helps foster public ignorance by encouraging false beliefs, making the ignorant more vulnerable to false claims by others (such as Edwards). Why encourage public ignorance? There is a great word for this in German: Volksverdummung. Randi's rhetoric may often preach to the converted, but I applaud his Quixotic efforts over many decades to educate a gullible public, which sadly often becomes more vulnerable to such claims in trying economic times such as these. I "predict" we'll see an increase in psychic claimants very soon.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 19th, 2009, 9:13 am

First you have to see past the lies.
Then you have to find the utility in lies.
Then you have to own the consequences of lying.
Then you have to teach others those lessons.
Growing up sucks.

No wonder so many choose to maladapt to lies and live in delusional worlds where easy answers buffer knowlege of difficult choices.

But pandering to that maladaption... I'm not that grown up yet.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » February 19th, 2009, 9:24 pm

Look like that "Green" guy who always chews your ear off at Whole Foods.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 19th, 2009, 10:28 pm

How about discussing the interview with Uri in Genii.

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » February 19th, 2009, 11:12 pm

I keep trying to sit down with a nice big bowl of Ice Cream, and the magazine, but my spoon keep bending....

Looks like one of those "greeters" at Walmart.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » February 20th, 2009, 3:01 pm

Read the interview?

I should take my valuable time to read an interview of a guy who, for nearly his entire career, has claimed that his "powers" were real...that he wasn't doing magic tricks but using the "power of his mind" to bend spoons and duplicate drawings?

Now, when he's widely seen as a fake does he now change career paths and claim he's an "entertainer." Magicians should embrace him because he now, sort of, claims to be "one of us"?

If, in the interview, he confesses that he's been a conscious fake for his entire career, THAT would get me to read it. Otherwise, it's just more baloney from Uri that I have neither the time nor interest to read.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 20th, 2009, 3:33 pm

Why don't you read the interview and decide for yourself.

Don Knox
Favorite Magician: John Carney, Whit "Pop" Haydn, Eugene Burger

Postby Don Knox » February 20th, 2009, 4:04 pm

After following a thread (for over a week) that starts out asking about who the next David Copperfield is going to be - exposes his "illegitimate" kids - turns down the road to the worth of Criss Angel, veers off into Angel's celebrity connection to Zsa Zsa Gabor and Paris Hilton (yes, the Hilton one is mine) - plows further into how much weight Angel had gained and finally succumbs in a heart-wrenching neigh as to his real height.

Just as I was trying to find some thorazine, I realized that I had already made it through the late '60s and it wasn't the brown acid (if you have to ask, that is from Woodstock). At this point I wasn't wondering what I was doing with my time - I was wondering what I was doing with my life!

I think if Genii were printing an interview of Valentino by Barbara Walters ("If Ethics were a tree - What kind would you be?") - I would read it just because it would have a beginning, middle and end!

(proper emoticon here)
Don

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » February 20th, 2009, 4:19 pm

There were two candid revelations in the interview I found very interesting. I'm hesitant to say what they are before the majority has had a chance to read it, though. One came near the end though, concerning his actual ability and responsibility.

ori ashkenazy

Postby ori ashkenazy » February 22nd, 2009, 11:51 am

I have high respect for magic and the magical art.

One of the important things about it is the fact that it is an honest art, even though it leans on deception.

For us magicians, deception becomes not only a tool but an obsession so I could see why you are so impressed with Geller's character and motivations.

However, Uri is in error (HO NO! Uri Geller telling a lie?!!) in a few statements that he made in the interview.

When he was starting his Successor TV show in Israel (only 2 years ago) he offered to go to the hospital and help Arik Sharon get out of his coma.

He also offered his help to the Israeli police in finding an escaped rapist.

He either is forgetting or disregarding these.

But the worst is the amount of bestsellers (12 I think) he wrote which tell people how to heal themselves from various illnesses and do other supernatural stuff, based on the reputation he got from doing tricks.

Uri Geller is not a magician.

He is a fake psychic exploiting the art of magic, today more than ever, for his own personal gain.

Yes. It is true that he promotes mentalists arround the globe with his TV shows. I think that is very valuable. But never forget that it is driven by his egotistical drive to be the center of attention, and now more than ever, by gaining support from the only people who can unmask him - us magicians.

I don't have anything against him because I was not commissioned to rid the world of frauds.

I do however have a complaint to those who are responsible to keeping our art an honest one.

There are values that we as a society choose to live by. When people choose to call themselves magicians they are immediately defining themselves as actors playing a part - they are artists (no matter how much they stink or excell)

Would you consider giving the magic prize to a card hustler? no matter how perfect he is, I am sure you would consider your values in doing that. Or am I naive?

A burglar -for being able to break into the most guarded safe?

I think not. because even though they might represent the best in quality, they lack in values that one would want to adhere to.

I am honestly disappointed with Mr. Berglass whom I have met and admire, for giving the prize to Uri Geller... As I would be with any magic organization that would reward him.

This is not what I consider art.

Michael Kamen

Postby Michael Kamen » February 22nd, 2009, 12:10 pm

Very well spoken. This type of thing ought not to be tolerated in our community, much less promoted through our craft journals.
Michael Kamen

Henley

Postby Henley » February 22nd, 2009, 7:23 pm

Hear, hear.

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » February 23rd, 2009, 12:55 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Why don't you read the interview and decide for yourself.

Hey, if we can write off Pam Anderson on the basis of one photo, why not the same with Uri Geller?

Dick Christian

Postby Dick Christian » February 23rd, 2009, 7:28 am

Ori has expressed my thoughts far better (and with more to back them up)than I could have.
Last edited by Dick Christian on February 23rd, 2009, 7:29 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: improved wording
Dick Christian

Michel Asselin

Postby Michel Asselin » February 24th, 2009, 8:46 pm

I thought that one of the really interesting points raised in the article was not from Mr Geller, but by Richard Kaufman.

"Most of the magicians I know no longer do magic for laymen: they've all switched to mentalism"

That may very well be one of the most important points raised in the article.

Michael Kamen

Postby Michael Kamen » February 24th, 2009, 9:14 pm

Important in what way Michel?
Michael Kamen

Lee Almond

Postby Lee Almond » February 24th, 2009, 9:58 pm

I will have to look up the issue of Genii, but I remember Charlie Miller wrote of Uri in Magicana " Some say he is making money". Charlie replied "So do whores". Uri is in the same list as all of the [censored] con men that ever took a dime from innocent people. Guess there are people on this forum who praise this type of [censored]. Book a flight to Kansas and I will be more then glad to let folks here step in some. My horse Trigger lays serious pipe in the corral everyday.
Lee,

Michel Asselin

Postby Michel Asselin » February 25th, 2009, 6:13 pm

I think it signals the shape of things to come.

Certainly, the influential magicians of the past 10 years (and I mean in terms of public impact - Derren Brown, Chris Angel, David Blaine, Cyril - stars of youtube and of that other small screen, the telly) have already played it mentalist-style. And much of their impact has not been through playing cards, or coins. It has also been achieved mostly through a form on mind-control - at least that is what the public is led to believe.

And that plays very well.

And yet, much of what is advertised in Genii is cards and silks and streamers and pom-pom sticks. Not exactly the type of fare associated with the above performers. I think it was very brave of Richard to state what he did. It literally goes against the grain of his publishing business; yet I am sure that he realizes very much the impact of the statement.

The whole movement of close-up magic - magic done at close quarters - owes a lot to Vernon, of course. But I think that in the latter half of the 20th century, it was Geller who epitomised the full potential of the close-up performer. Fascinate many with something simple, and apparently spontaneous. The type of the performer who, under the tightest of scrutiny, could perform the impossible.

The movement towards "Blaine-type" street magic, the fascination with bizzarre magic, the mystery school approach, all these really are a reaction to Geller, if you think about it. It is about the magic feeling, being real.

And when he did his thing, it never came across as a trick (as far as the general public goes).

Of course, Geller owed a lot to the media moguls who "pushed" him. Mike Douglas, Merv Griffin, and whatever media outlet around chose to ride the Geller comet in the seventies. Geller was news. (One could argue that James Randi also hitched a ride, but I think that would be unfair). As a matter of fact, the controversy allowed the Geller media effect to last longer.

Doing his thing at the Stanford Institute - which had not much to do with the university of the same name - was a stroke of genius.

Yes, he is the consummate publicity hound. Yes, the ethics of his approach are shady. But he still remains a household word after more than quarter of a century. Who did you think of when you saw that spoon bend in the Matrix?

Is there much of a future for the close-up pad? I do not think so. The close-up kinda guy was an 80's creature. The future seems to belong to the mystery entertainer.

At least this week.

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » February 26th, 2009, 3:24 am

Ori said it very well and I agree with him 100%.

I was quite disappointed to see that GENII gives Uri Geller another platform to spread his propaganda. (The odd cover photo suggests that there might be a critical discussion of him, but there is not.) He will tell you anything it takes to get PR. He is currently on German TV again with the second season of his successor show. Luckily, there is not much interest in the public anymore, so there won't be a third one.

Denis

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » February 26th, 2009, 8:51 am

I wanted to re-read the article to get my facts straight, but....

I have never studied Freud, so I'm talking thru my Die-tube when I say...some aspects I found to be "Freudian"...

I believe he sold his house in Ct., because he couldn't live with his past.

I have heard the Psychic Kid/Uri story so many times, I'm starting to believe it.

Defense mechanism "rationalization" read into the...well they WERE Rich Russians looking for Gold...

Thank-you for the interview, I've been asking for this for awhile.

I don't believe for a minute that he doesn't read magic books. That doesn't make sense. The best get where they are 99% of the time, because they have an extensive knowledge of their field. That was probably a lie.

He stands alone. I'm not sure he answered any of the questions.

I do have DVD of Uri fielding questions on Michael Jackson...if anyone is interested I can post a few quotes here. I am guessing nobody cares.

He outshined Criss during the American Phenomenon...probably knew what he was getting into with Criss. Also, knew that would make him shine much more, as it did.

Lee Almond

Postby Lee Almond » February 26th, 2009, 11:18 pm

Hey Ori,
Spot on man,
"Uri Geller is not a magician.

He is a fake psychic exploiting the art of magic, today more than ever, for his own personal gain."

Very well written my friend! Rock on. BTW my corral has plenty of [censored] for the supporters of urine...umm my bad.. Uri.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 27th, 2009, 3:56 pm

I believe fake psychic is an oxymoron.

But I did enjoy the read. And Berglas is correct: Like him or not, Geller has influenced magic and mentalism.

Dustin

Michael Kamen

Postby Michael Kamen » February 27th, 2009, 8:25 pm

for the worse.
Michael Kamen

Doc Dixon

Postby Doc Dixon » February 27th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:I believe fake psychic is an oxymoron.

No it's not. It's a tautology.

DD

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 28th, 2009, 1:40 am

Right! I had it bass-ackwards.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 28th, 2009, 6:29 am

My mum sent me this today. I thought it apt for the thread.

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2007/03/2 ... h-my-mind/

Return to “Feature Articles”