Larry Jennings Distributraction

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
bobon

Larry Jennings Distributraction

Postby bobon » February 13th, 2009, 3:33 am

Anyone??

Philippe Billot

Re: Larry Jennings Distributraction

Postby Philippe Billot » February 13th, 2009, 8:33 am

Page 213 from The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings, written by Mike Maxwell in 1986.

Et alors ?

Rick Franceschin

Postby Rick Franceschin » February 15th, 2009, 1:54 pm

I assume your looking for tips or oppinions, so... The wedge cull used in this thing is very good, certainly worth the time it takes to aquire and master. Few would argue the value in that. In so far as the routine goes, it's sure to impress other card magicians (if done well;) I'm not sure that a lay person would be as impressed. The removing and showing of the aces, having cards selected and returned, really slow down the action. Even the revelation of the reversed aces, showing them one at a time, is slow. For me, it's a hard thing to present entertainingly. I think Jenning's own "The Searchers" (Richard's Almanac - 1984,) Aaron Fisher's "Search and Destroy" (The Paper Engine,) or Roy Walton's "Mission Accomplished" (The Devil's Playthings) are better suited for the purposes of entertaining.
One tip on the wedge cull is to review Marlo's Prayer Cull description in M.I.N.T. While the techniques are quite different, there is some advice in there on timing and culling pairs of cards.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 15th, 2009, 4:58 pm

The Wedge Cull is incorrectly described in the book, and beyond that, Jennings had much better handlings of it. These will appear in the third Jennings book. The thing which is attractive about the Wedge Cull is how simple it is compared to the usual type of Hofzinser-Style spread culls.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Rick Franceschin

Postby Rick Franceschin » February 15th, 2009, 7:46 pm

That's terrific, can't wait to read it.

bobon

Postby bobon » February 16th, 2009, 3:45 am

Thanks for reply.I am having trouble in first phase of the routine where four Aces are switched(no strip-out,Add-on or Palming).Anybody have better option??Mr.Denis Behr(http://www.denisbehr.de/effectsonly.html) did a nice option.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 16th, 2009, 5:41 am

The key point about the Wedge Cull is that you are NOT spreading, you're pushing over the cards one at a time with your left thumb and literally putting them into the Wedge. It takes time.

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » February 16th, 2009, 10:13 am

Distributraction is a great effect. It plays well for laymen and magicians, I found.

The switch in the beginning can be replaced by a lot of things, ATFUS being a popular one. (The one I use in the clip is away from the deck, which is not a bad thing. But sometimes the angles don't allow it.)

I like the Wegde Cull, although I don't use it in the clip. It can look quite good. You don't need to push the cards over one by one, but can do it in lumps of cards, to speed things up.

And remember: James Swain had a great "Collectors Finale" in Genii magazine (January 2001, I think). Or even better: forget about it.

Denis

John Carey

Postby John Carey » February 16th, 2009, 10:49 am

Syd Segal has some great work on this Finale type idea as well on his Simply Sidney dvd.

John.

Btw- 3rd book Richard?
We all are going crazy waiting for Larry's 2nd book.Lol

flynn

Postby flynn » February 16th, 2009, 12:06 pm

How many books does LJ have? I know of Jennings 67 and Classic Magic of Larry Jennings. Why is it at his website he's got others? Are those just lecture notes?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 16th, 2009, 6:24 pm

LJ books:
1) Larry Jennings on Card and Coin Handling (published by Jeff Putzby and out of print). He couldn't reprint it now if he wanted because half the material came out of Genii and I now own Genii.
2) Classic Magic.
3) Neo Classics.
4) Card Wright
5) Up in Smoke (a large set of lecture notes that qualifies as a small book).
6) Jennings '67 (the first of my trilogy on Jennings).
7) Mr. Jennings Takes It Easy (the second of my trilogy--now written and being edited)
8) Mr. Jennings Takes It Tough (third of my trilogy with all the hard tricks). I actually have about 100 pages of this written already.

flynn

Postby flynn » February 16th, 2009, 8:31 pm

Cool. thanks for the list. I'm getting Neo Classics maybe next week. Waiting for Takes it Easy, hope it comes out before springs over.

bobon

Postby bobon » February 17th, 2009, 11:00 am

Thanks Denis

Denis Behr wrote:The switch in the beginning can be replaced by a lot of things, ATFUS being a popular one.

Anything simpler(in terms of handling)than L.J Insertion??This move also used in some other tricks in book TCMLJ. I dont have James Swain Video.

kit

Postby kit » March 16th, 2010, 5:31 pm

hey there,

i just stumbled across this post although it is over a year old.

instead of the l.j. insertion i also use an ATFUS kind of switch and is much simpler. i just uploaded a video of my performance which needless to say is nowhere near as smooth as denis behr's.

you may find my handling at the beginning easier to follow/work out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRdZTlY2f3M

hope that helped.

magicfish

Postby magicfish » March 19th, 2010, 8:27 am

Just wondering if anyone knows if Any Ace Called For is also described incorrectly in this book?

Rod

Return to “Close-Up Magic”