FISM in UK 2012 ??

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
naquada

FISM in UK 2012 ??

Postby naquada » September 12th, 2008, 3:04 pm

In our podcast, Derek Lever talks about bidding to bring FISM to the UK in 2012...

http://www.magicconventionguide.com/200 ... rek-lever/

just slipped it into the conversation...!!!
Member of The Magic Circle
www.magicconventionguide.com

CraigMitchell

Re: FISM in UK 2012 ??

Postby CraigMitchell » September 12th, 2008, 9:31 pm

UK would be great - but NOT in Blackpool ...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 12th, 2008, 9:46 pm

The problem with having an event of FISM size is that you have to find a venue with hotels nearby, all of which are affordable both to the people running FISM and the attendees. FISM runs during the summer, when all Blackpool hotels are full, so it's unlikely the site would be Blackpool. And don't get me started on the hotels in Blackpool--it's like you're in some third world country. I take that back, I've been in China several times and my hotels were always nicer than any place I've stayed in Blackpool, including the over-priced Hilton.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

naquada

Postby naquada » September 13th, 2008, 4:26 am

It will be interesting to see the bid... Blackpool has the experience of putting on a large convention, but you're right about the hotel in blackpool.. they are basic.. I'd hope a UK bid would involve the magic circle as well..

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » September 13th, 2008, 6:09 am

Why not come to Australia for FISM in 2012? ;)

naquada

Postby naquada » September 13th, 2008, 6:56 am

Tim Ellis wrote:Why not come to Australia for FISM in 2012? ;)

..apparently you have to be hosting the Olympics as well ;) ;)

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » September 13th, 2008, 7:28 am

I vote for OZ !!! Will be there in a heart-beat ;-)

Out of interest - what are the other major convention spots in the UK that meet the requirements for contemporary convention facilities, hotels, theatres etc ? Trying to find modern facilities that are 'affordable' in England could be a challege ....

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » September 13th, 2008, 7:38 am

On a separate note - if Blackpool do intend bidding - they may want to consider changing the titles of their contests as they are already skirting the FISM rules ... The Master Magician World Championships is somewhat in conflict with FISM's "World Championships"

I suppose we can never have too many world champions - master magicians or not ;-)

thecardman

Postby thecardman » September 13th, 2008, 6:23 pm

This is a little off-topic.

I know that we are still some 10 to 11 months away from Beijing, but I'm curious to find out if anyone has heard of any other cities or organisations that have expressed an interest in hosting FISM 2012?

Best wishes

Peter
:)

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » February 10th, 2009, 8:30 am

Anybody know who else will be bidding for FISM 2012 besides UK ?

naquada

Postby naquada » February 10th, 2009, 11:26 am

nope.. not heard anything

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » February 10th, 2009, 2:12 pm

I disagree with earlier posts about Blackpool.
If chosen Blackpool would have superb facilities for hosting a FISM: World class Theaters; Quality hotels (Blackpool Council offers discounts to delegates that attend Blackpool - check the website) You don't have to go cheap and cheerful.....There are numerous 4 and 5 star hotels.

(As an aside, speaking for the younger generation, I don't go to a magic convention for a sleep just a place to crash out for 6 or 7 hours.)

FISM UK gets my vote. It will be massively oversubscribed and a huge success.
Best John

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 10th, 2009, 2:49 pm

You have got to be kidding.

Blackpool is one of the least appealing places in Western Civilization.

I stayed at the Hilton and paid an exhorbitant price one year because I was sick of the dumpy hotels--no internet, many without even a phone, hot water that runs out, noise, stench. The Hilton was one of the few places that had Internet in the rooms. It was by far the worst Hilton I've ever stayed at and it was expensive!

The only thing Blackpool has that's good for FISM is an enormous theater. But it's hot as hell up there in the balcony in the winter, I can only imagine how you'd broil in the balcony during the summer.

There are no good facilities for close-up performances, unless you expect everyone yelling over one another like you get now in one large horseshoe shaped room.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 10th, 2009, 2:55 pm

John McDonald wrote: Quality hotels

You and I, Sir, clearly have awfully different definitions of the word quality.

As a Brit, I would be embarrassed if the world thought of Blackpool as world class in anything aside from pregnant underaged chav mothers. Or it represented the 'quality' the UK can offer...

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » February 10th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote: The only thing Blackpool has that's good for FISM is an enormous theater.

I agree with Richard....i love the theaters in Blackpool.
Best John

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » February 10th, 2009, 4:57 pm

FISM in Embra! We have it all - theatres, conference facilities, schemie mothers.

Seriously, the EICC would be perfect.

Ian

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » February 11th, 2009, 2:32 am

John,

Blackpool's theatre is no where near World Class. Maybe 18th century is more like it ...

And you need to get out more "Quality hotels" ... if that's your definition of quality then we need to help you quickly ! :-)

thecardman

Postby thecardman » February 11th, 2009, 5:29 am

Ian Kendall wrote:FISM in Embra! We have it all - theatres, conference facilities, schemie mothers.

Seriously, the EICC would be perfect.

Ian

For those of you not from Scotland, Embra = Edinburgh. Also, for a full definition of the term schemie, please click here. Thank you.

And Ian, I have to disagree - if you want to scare the world with schemie mothers, then bring FISM to Glasgow! Anyway, the hotels in Glasgow might be a bit cheaper and there wouldn't be a potential clash between FISM and the Edinburgh Festivals for, well, everything from hotels to places to hold the events!

Best wishes

Peter
:)

Royce Kirbow

Postby Royce Kirbow » February 11th, 2009, 5:59 am

I have heard from several people (although, of course, not anyone actually involved in the bid!) that if the Blackpool Magicians Club win the bid to bring FISM to the UK, they will hold it in Manchester rather than Blackpool.

This makes more sense, since there are world-class facilities (and football teams) in Manchester and if you book into the right hotel, you can even pretend that you aren't even in the same country as Blackpool.

Just what I've heard...

Good luck to Mr Lever and the Blackpool club in their bid. As evidenced by their organisation of the Blackpool convention, they would put on a superb FISM!

Thanks,

Royce K.

Richard Evans

Postby Richard Evans » February 11th, 2009, 3:22 pm

Craig Mitchell wrote: Out of interest - what are the other major convention spots in the UK that meet the requirements for contemporary convention facilities, hotels, theatres etc ? Trying to find modern facilities that are 'affordable' in England could be a challege ....

I would imagine there are plenty of options, including: Manchester (as mentioned); Birmingham (NEC); Harrogate (great conference facilities but trickier to get to); London (O2 at the Dome??). Basically, anywhere apart from Blackpool would be fantastic.

If the current trend in financial markets continues - with the sliding against the Euro and US$, it may be a bargain location for 2012.

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » February 11th, 2009, 4:09 pm

Manchester would be a great location - my hometown.

Edinburgh - one of my favourite cities. Would be great there too.
Best John

naquada

Postby naquada » February 11th, 2009, 4:36 pm

I think Fism2012 will be at Richards House.. ;)

www.fism2012.com/

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 11th, 2009, 4:55 pm

Holy Christmas, I hope not.

naquada

Postby naquada » February 11th, 2009, 5:00 pm

no richard.. thats where the domains pointing.. we're all coming round in 2012... get out the turkey.. you've got guests ;)

although weird why someone would point it to genii..??
Last edited by naquada on February 11th, 2009, 5:09 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: added the weird why... bit...

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » February 14th, 2009, 6:34 pm

The Islamabad Chamber of Commerce has a big push on attempting to attract tourists and conventions to their fair city.

Lotta great paramilitary types there but not very friendly and not do make any attempt to photograph them in their traditional native garb.

Plenty of great 2 star accommodations available and each room comes equipped with year round hot and cold running scorpions.

Hotel Blue Sky offers doubles, with continental breakfast, for only 300 rupees/night. No concierge service available. Cable TV available @ 100 Rupees extra per night after 10:00 p.m..

For the big spenders, there is the 5 star Marriott Hotel which offers all the Western amenities of their US hotels.
Ump...sorry... erratum - The Marriott did offer 5 star accomodations.
It seems that it was blown up by truck bomb in 2008 and will be undergoing renovations until late 2068.

Gourmet dining abounds - personal favorite? - Kabul Restaurant. The barbecued goat is excellent.

Night life? Mostly illegal but attendees are free to perform state approved magic tricks for each other in their rooms. Please remember the government sanctions against the performance of certain tricks that tend to denigrate or stereotype the locals. Examples of which include, but are not limited to, :

Sands of the Desert
Arabian Tent Illusion
Fatima's Cabinet of Hu Chi Ku Chi - With the exception of the Thayer 1937 model decorated with flames only.
Turban Box

No effects that show camels, donkeys or sheep in a degrading manner or subject them to ridicule.

The citizenry long ago granted quasi-citizenship status to these quadrupeds and the public exhibition of a Carter the Great Sweeps the Secrets of Sphinx... or Balaam and His Donkey carry the death penalty.

The above was brought about after years of heavy lobbying by PETA. Dogs are plentiful so the Vanishing Whippet is also out of bounds.

rkosby

Postby rkosby » February 14th, 2009, 11:58 pm

In all seriousness, Iceland. It would help them out and will probably be affordable.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » June 2nd, 2009, 5:37 am

It would appear that Blackpool is the preferred venue for the UK bid for FISM 2012 ... ( has anyone else bid ? if not, then its a foregone conclusion )

I would have hoped that an alternative venue in the UK would have been chosen - some place with facilities up to international standards.

Compared to the ultra modern facilities on offer in Beijing and past FISMs - Blackpool is going to pale in comparison ...

Francesca Moffet

Postby Francesca Moffet » June 2nd, 2009, 6:54 am

Craig Mitchell wrote:It would appear that Blackpool is the preferred venue for the UK bid for FISM 2012 ... ( has anyone else bid ? if not, then its a foregone conclusion )

I would have hoped that an alternative venue in the UK would have been chosen - some place with facilities up to international standards.

Compared to the ultra modern facilities on offer in Beijing and past FISMs - Blackpool is going to pale in comparison ...

I can't understand why they would even consider Blackpool. I've attended the Blackpool convention twice and found the surroundings rundown, delapidated and quite frankly depressing. The person I was with hated it so much that he left early in order to escape to London.

London would be a much better option and would mean a lot less travelling for a lot of people as there are so many direct flights.

I really hope FISM isn't held in Blackpool.
Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, and they both take practice.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 2nd, 2009, 7:02 am

I may be a wee bit biased, but Edinburgh would be a good venue. We have the EICC conference centre with many facilities and a good sized theatre built in. There are numerous hotels near and far, budget and full priced.

Being a capital city we are well served with transport links, and the city is only three miles across, so there is very little hiking around needed. Not as overwhelming, or expensive as London.

Blackpool do have the advantage of experience with large conventions, which may swing it for them.

Ian

Edit: jusr realised this is an old thread and I've already posted. Still holds true, though.
Last edited by Ian Kendall on June 2nd, 2009, 7:05 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: time plays tricks

Francesca Moffet

Postby Francesca Moffet » June 2nd, 2009, 7:17 am

What about Belfast?

We never get anything cool and Edinburgh has already got a fantastic Fringe Festival. :)

Belfast is cheap, very easy to get to as there are a lot of direct flights and the city has had a massive overhaul in recent years to make it a trendy place to visit.

http://www.gotobelfast.com/

Belfast was also voted the city most people in the UK would like to go for a night out and the best place to live.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3156680.stm
Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, and they both take practice.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » June 2nd, 2009, 7:30 am

Derek Lever and his team are well versed in organising large conventions - but someone seriously needs to analyse their choice of venue.

Francesca hits the nail on the head "I've attended the Blackpool convention twice and found the surroundings rundown, delapidated and quite frankly depressing."

What may suffice for the usual 'blackpool weekend convention' where everyone grins & bears it - is simply not good enough for a week long international event.

How you can possibly go from past host of the Olympics to the falling apart town of Blackpool is beyond me ...

The problem comes in is that if there are no other countries bidding - Blackpool are going to get it by default. Perhaps an ultra new convention facility along with sparkling new hotels are being planned for Blackpool ?

If not - bring your own hot water.

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » June 2nd, 2009, 7:48 pm

It looks like Blackpool are the only team bidding to run FISM in 2012.

I thought Germany had put in a bid too, but apparently not.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » June 6th, 2009, 10:44 am

Seems I'm not the only one who thinks FISM Blackpool isn't such a good idea ...

This is just hilarious !

http://www.pict.com/view/752066/0/fism2012

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » July 29th, 2009, 5:57 am

Its just been confirmed...

F.I.S.M. 2012 will be in Blackpool July 9th to 14th 2012

Tickets 450 euros if bought before March 2010
then increase.
tickets bought 2012 550 euros

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 29th, 2009, 6:05 am

I haven't heard it confirmed yet. I didn't think the meeting of the delegates to vote was until tomorrow and it won't be announced until tomorrow night.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 29th, 2009, 10:44 am

The General Assembly only meets tomorrow. Blackpool, it would appear, don't feel it necessary to actually wait for the official vote and have elected themselves. How very democratic.

naquada

Postby naquada » July 29th, 2009, 10:54 am

Dale Shrimpton wrote:Its just been confirmed...

F.I.S.M. 2012 will be in Blackpool July 9th to 14th 2012

Tickets 450 euros if bought before March 2010
then increase.
tickets bought 2012 550 euros

its not been confirmed... dont believe the assembly has voted yet!

naquada

Postby naquada » July 29th, 2009, 10:58 am

Craig Mitchell wrote:The General Assembly only meets tomorrow. Blackpool, it would appear, don't feel it necessary to actually wait for the official vote and have elected themselves. How very democratic.

i think blackpool is the only bid.. although they do still need to have a majority vote of 'yes' to be accepted..

I did hear that there was another bid.. but i'm discounting that as I only heard it today (hence think its just a rumor!)

depending on what the blackpool flyers say (and I cant read it from the photos) they might be only collecting 'intent' or making people aware of the costs and dates IF successful..

I cant remember exactly what happened at FISM 2006, but fliers were definately put out from each of the bids with ideas of costs, dates, etc etc

until I hear officially.. nothings official :)

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » July 29th, 2009, 11:42 am

the web site on the forms...

http://www.fism2012.org/

seems to be waiting.:)

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 29th, 2009, 11:56 am

Blackpool are accepting registrations and credit card details ! These aren't flyers - last I heard 80+ had already registered.

Return to “Buzz”